NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Digimon Survive - Switch, PS4, XBOne, XBS, Steam

digimon-survive.large.jpg

Remember that Digimon SRPG/Visual Novel that got announced years ago, which then vanished without a trace?

It still exists! A release date was finally announced recently. Triangle Strategy shows the concept can work, and while I don't expect this to be anywhere near that caliber. I might get this when it goes on sale.

And yes, that is a day before Xenoblade comes out. In case, this game needed more obstacles to adequate sales... Bet Nintendo found out and moved that date to punch the franchise in the face.

Anyone here interested?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just me, then? Fair. Xenoblade and Live A Live are really gonna stamp this into the ground, huh?

We've got a couple of new screenshots, finally.

Digimon-Survive_2022_04-20-22_003.jpg

Digimon-Survive_2022_04-20-22_001.jpg

Not gonna lie, that VN screen is legit nice.

EDIT: Box art, too.

FQ1Q8zkXoAA_Uo5?format=jpg&name=large

That's never gonna be a physical release over here, is it? Pity, it's nice artwork. Hell, even Bandai Namco's new logo doesn't look too bad.

Edited by Glen-i

Those are some genuinely nice visuals.  Looks like a solid effort that should please Digimon fans :)

On 20/04/2022 at 6:06 PM, Glen-i said:

Anyone here interested?

Honestly, I think it looks really nice, and it's on my radar, but it's one of those games where I don't think I'll be picking it up at launch. As you say, being right next to Live-A-Live and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on a calendar really doesn't help it's case much! 

I actually saw the teaser trailer when it came out last month, and what really hit me was the music. It feels *very* Ghibli-esque, but particularly towards the end. 

And then while I was watching time I quickly realised why that was: it does straight up use a theme from Princess Mononoke for a moment there, in a way which is super noticeable! Compare 01:40 of the trailer to this:

Now, I'm not saying they stole it -but I do think the composer is probably just a fan of the film (at the very least they've listened to the OST a few times) and completely internalised that theme. Just now I can't unhear it :p

So, honestly, I'm most curious to see how the soundtrack turns out. If they've nailed the melancholic side of feeling like a Ghibli OST in the full game like they did at times in the teaser trailer, it'll definitely get bumped up my list some :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Visually it looks stunning! From the trailer it looks kinda like Mario X Rabbids gameplay, is that right or am I off the mark? I'm kinda hoping that's what it is 'cause I loved that game. 

I have almost no history with Digimon so was pleasantly surprised by the previous Digimon release on Switch that I got in lockdown, it was much more in depth and like a traditional jrpg than I expected, I guess I thought it would be more like Pokémon. Agumon really got his hooks in my heart. 

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

Visually it looks stunning! From the trailer it looks kinda like Mario X Rabbids gameplay, is that right or am I off the mark? I'm kinda hoping that's what it is 'cause I loved that game.

Sort of? They're both similar in that they are Strategy RPG's, but from what little information we have, here's what I can gleam from it.

Mario X Rabbids takes a lot of its cues from XCom, where utilising cover plays a very important part with winning battles. I doubt those cover based battles will be in this.

Instead, this seems to take it's inspiration from more traditional fare, such as Fire Emblem or Pokémon Conquest. From that screenshot, it seems attacking from higher terrain is more advantageous. I also spot a "Flank Attack" feature, so maybe you do more damage if you get an enemy between 2 of your Digimon?

And don't forget that it seems that half of the game is some kind of Visual Novel thing. Although it remains to be seen just how prominent each of those sections are.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Sort of? They're both similar in that they are Strategy RPG's, but from what little information we have, here's what I can gleam from it.

Mario X Rabbids takes a lot of its cues from XCom, where utilising cover plays a very important part with winning battles. I doubt those cover based battles will be in this.

Instead, this seems to take it's inspiration from more traditional fare, such as Fire Emblem or Pokémon Conquest. From that screenshot, it seems attacking from higher terrain is more advantageous. I also spot a "Flank Attack" feature, so maybe you do more damage if you get an enemy between 2 of your Digimon?

And don't forget that it seems that half of the game is some kind of Visual Novel thing. Although it remains to be seen just how prominent each of those sections are.

Thanks!! Sounds interesting!! I'll definitely keep an eye on it and pick it up around the £30 mark but probably won't go full price until I'm totally sure on it.

I remember really hating Digimon back when I was a child because it seemed like a complete rip-off of Pokémon but done in a totally stupid way.

Looking back, I wondered if my love of the Pokémon series clouded my judgement, and that maybe I'd treated Digimon too harshly. Perhaps if you judged it on its own, it wasn't that bad.

Then I saw this video posted to Reddit:

and I realised that Digimon is actually just stupid.

WTF was that theme tune? Why is it stuck in my head?

Woo! Year old bump! Let's goooo!

So yeah, finally got this game, and after finishing Shin Megami Tensei V, I fancied something a bit less bleak and stressful. It is a Visual Novel, so plot is kinda important, so I'll spoiler tag it in case anyone is interested.

Spoiler

Did I say less bleak? Well, yeah, that was my intention. This game wasn't having that. Once the Kemonogami show up, a constant sense of dread persists. If you've ever played any of the Zero Escape games, you'll get what I mean, the feeling that something terrible could happen at any time.

This game is proper weird! The Digimon are never referred to as Digimon, they're either "monsters" or "Kemonogami", but never Digimon. Apart from the title screen, the word Digimon is not seen once. Digivolve doesn't show up either, they just "evolve" here.

But it's still Digimon, so power of friendship is what will win out!

Well, until it didn't...

Friendship didn't do jack when one of the cast slowly went mad from the sheer hopelessness of the situation. In an absolutely shocking move, he threw himself off of a bridge because he heard his mum (who has been dead for 5 years, so she's clearly not actually there) tell him to. Then he gets torn apart by evil grabby hands from some kind of hell portal.

But the worst part is Agumon, who until then, had been generally cute with his silly raspy voice, and asking questions like "What's a Skewl?", right before that kid's untimely demise, drops all that cute and informs the cast that it's too late for him, in the most blunt manner possible. It's the kind of tone that suggests he's seen this many times before.

I don't like serious Agumon. Weirds me out! Kudos to the (Japanese) voice actor for keeping that raspy voice and managing a solemn conversation and nailing it.

Anyway, game has me fully invested, but I will be stopping to play Mario Wonder.

On 21/04/2022 at 4:24 PM, Dcubed said:

Those are some genuinely nice visuals.  Looks like a solid effort that should please Digimon fans :)

I... err... may have been wrong about this...

Having watched Glen-i play for a bit? This is about as far removed from Digimon as you could imagine.  It's actually a legit cool take on the concept that appeals to a completely different audience though.

Honestly? If you're after something akin to Triangle Strategy, with a bleak tone that's akin to Shin Megami Tensei? This should be well up your alley!

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this