Cube

Sonic Origins (23rd June)

Is that Green Hill… again?

The city stage looks cool though.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Is that Green Hill… again?

The city stage looks cool though.

Interesting approach they took with this Megadrive game remaster...

• Haha 1

Sonic Origins Plus announced. Adds playable Amy and 12 Game Gear games as well as new challenges. Getting a physical release.

Do I want a physical copy? I'm not really sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, now the collection's worth purchasing.

After they release their DLC pricing flowchart, of course.

• Haha 1

OK, these are nice. These are the regional reversible covers, but you can grab them as "downloadable" posters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my physical copy of Sonic Origins Plus today.

For anyone unaware, the physical copy on the game card seems to be Sonic Origins (though it has the Plus label on it) until you use the download code that comes with it.

Once you use the download code, then it's Sonic Origins Plus, effectively.

I though this was worth mentioning in case anyone was wondering what the difference is between the physical version and just upgrading an existing digital copy.

The dlc code unlocks Amy Rose and the Game Gear titles.

Edit - Ah I just checked, apparently this was known about a few weeks ago, I just pre-ordered it and assumed it would all be on the game card... oh well.

Edited by S.C.G

I didn’t know that, assumed it would be like Sonic Mania Plus. Glad I didn’t buy it then.

41 minutes ago, Ike said:

I didn’t know that, assumed it would be like Sonic Mania Plus. Glad I didn’t buy it then.

Yep, I didn't either. I just pre-ordered it as in any case I wanted a physical version of Sonic Origins anyway.

I only found out when the game arrived and I looked at the box, so thought it best to put the word out there, though after searching I found that there are news articles about it from a couple of weeks ago, but with the speed of how games are announced and released these days, I didn't even really think that much about it.

The original Sonic Origins only came out a year ago, though I only purchased it at the end of last year when it was on sale, but I've played it a few times since then.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when I download the dlc, as I already have the game digitally... so if I put the game card in, make sure it's updated etc, and then download the dlc, maybe it'll install to both copies? It's an odd situation.

I did notice my original copy of Sonic Origins updated last night, presumably to prepare for the release of the Plus dlc.

I'll post in here again when I actually download the DLC.

I suppose it works out this way, as if a copy of Sonic Origins Plus was sold second-hand, then at least there is still an option of getting the extra content through the upgrade, though that should mean that second-hand copy should only be worth £20 or less on its own, as the dlc is £10.99 I believe?

On the other hand, it's not that great for game preservation, as in the instance of the eShop not being accessible... you just have the Sonic Origins base game.

Oh well, Happy Birthday Sonic! :p

It seems that when you put the game card in, even if you already own Sonic Origins digitally, it reads as the same game, so save data remains, and once you download the dlc, the title screen updates (but not the Switch icon) and you're informed of the extra content which is now available.

I'll take the games for a spin later on.

I still don’t understand Swag’s love for the Game Gear games, when the Master System versions of most benefit so much more from the extra screen space.

1 hour ago, WackerJr said:

I still don’t understand Sega’s love for the Game Gear games, when the Master System versions of most benefit so much more from the extra screen space.

Yep, I agree with this. Especially after playing through some of the Game Gear games over the past few nights.

It's probably just because the Game Gear had more Sonic games in general, but yes, in the instances where Master System versions are available, those would have been preferable.

Out of the Game Gear games, the "mainline" Sonic games are worth playing, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Sonic Triple Trouble, while all the rest are either inferior ports, experimental or just plain obscure, but there is something to be said for Tails' Adventure, as it's a genuinely interesting spin-off.

Check out my last Sonic Mania Plus stream, and the ones before it, if you want to see some of the games in action...

custom-4aaf1f5b-c3db-4180-bce6-9f4fe7a2cb44-640x360.jpeg

Sonic Origins Plus on the Nintendo Switch (29/06/2023)

- - - - -

The Mega Drive and Mega CD games are still where it's at though, and the Game Gear games, cool as some of them are, just make me appreciate the 16-Bit titles more. :peace:

• Thanks 2

They keep throwing in Game Gear titles into these kinds of collections because they’re easy and cheap to re-release.

That’s really all there is to it.

It’s a shame that Knuckles Chaotix isn’t here.  Even though it’s not a great game, it would’ve been great to see it released from 32x prison; as it could really do with some Retro Engine powered improvements to performance and controls.  And then they could look at improving things like level design, which that game sorely needs.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Knuckles Chaotix really deserves a re-release with Sonic and Tails added. Sonic is essentially already in the game (when he was removed, he was replaced with Mighty, who functions the same) and the code for Tails is also in the game (loading it works, but with a messed up sprite).

They could even do a HD Mean Bean Machine - a lot of the sprites were redone for Sonic Mania anyway, they could even add in the extra mode from the Master System version.

Also, when they throw in the Game Gear games like this, they don't even look to see which versions have better Master System versions.

• Thanks 1

On 30/06/2023 at 6:03 PM, Dcubed said:

It’s a shame that Knuckles Chaotix isn’t here.  Even though it’s not a great game, it would’ve been great to see it released from 32x prison; as it could really do with some Retro Engine powered improvements to performance and controls.  And then they could look at improving things like level design, which that game sorely needs.

1 minute ago, Cube said:

Knuckles Chaotix really deserves a re-release with Sonic and Tails added.

Sorry, guys. Vector has gotten way too good at curating his image, and there's no way in hell he's letting that game out into public knowledge.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this