NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Sonic Origins (23rd June)

Finally has a release date. Also includes some animated shorts.

They seem to have replaced the lives system with "coins", with classic versions still having lives. 

Edit: More detials: https://origins.sonicthehedgehog.com/

Looks like features are stupidly split across different versions/additional packs. Xbox pricing is live:

Standard: £32.99

Deluxe: £36.98

Deluxe has extra animations on the menu and extra remastered music.

Some other features (part of the regular game)

- Mission Mode (objectives to complete on levels). Extra hard missions in deluxe version

- Boss Rush mode

Coins are in-game currency, looks like Mirror Mode can be unlocked using them (but automatically unlocked with a pre-order), no idea what else its used for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hoping the museum is as good (/better) the one in Sonic Jam.

Nice that they aren't just straight up emulated games and they are actually adding stuff.

If you want all content, don't forget to pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition. You want fun? It'll cost ya!

FQyhisLXEAAyyNz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by Dufniall
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weird 1
  • Angry 1

It's a shame, because the UI there looks really nice and well done. I honestly would have been fine if they just charged the £37 (even if it is a bit steep) that the more expensive version costs and didn't bother with all the confusing nonsense. It's not even extremely clear if some features are unlockable in the base version (I think the Mirror Mode is) and which is locked behind the deluxe version/DLC.

All this mess for £3.99. 

“Additional Music Tracks from the Megadrive titles”? Are they charging extra for the original MJ Sonic 3 tracks!?

Why even bother with this money grubbing? Just put the one SKU out there for €39.99 and be done with it!

And all that extra stuff smacks of stuff being ripped out of the game and sold to you separately; like menu character animations and camera controls? Seriously? How pathetic!

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Aaand they ruined it.

Still buying the Deluxe Edition.

Don't do it, don't give SEGA money for this.

Oops, I've done the same, had £10 voucher from bing rewards to soften it a bit.

Interesting that Headcannon only worked on the S3&K port… Guess that means that SEGA ported the Headcannon/Christian Whitehead versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD internally? Strange.

Edited by Dcubed

32 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

“Additional Music Tracks from the Megadrive titles”? Are they charging extra for the original MJ Sonic 3 tracks!?

There's a screenshot of the music player with Sonic Spinball so sounds like it it might be to include other games? Unless that's just an unlockable with the coins.

https://www-famitsu-com.translate.goog/news/202204/20258988.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

There's a "Story Mode" which combines all four games, along with the animations.

It clarifies that the bonus music is simply more music for the sound test. It contains 73 tracks from Sonic Spinball, Knuckles Chatoitx and Sonic 3D Blast.

The "letterbox" thing is multiple different backgrounds. 10 from the deluxe, one from the pre-order (A Mega Drive theme)

Mirror mode can be unlocked if you don't pre-order.

Developer is Headcanon, who worked on the mobile ports of 1 & 2 plus Sonic Mania.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cube said:

https://www-famitsu-com.translate.goog/news/202204/20258988.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

There's a "Story Mode" which combines all four games, along with the animations.

It clarifies that the bonus music is simply more music for the sound test. It contains 73 tracks from Sonic Spinball, Knuckles Chatoitx and Sonic 3D Blast.

The "letterbox" thing is multiple different backgrounds. 10 from the deluxe, one from the pre-order (A Mega Drive theme)

Mirror mode can be unlocked if you don't pre-order.

That sounds a hell of a lot like Sonic Delta… I hope that’s the case, because Sonic Delta is a ton of fun! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Why so many versions, i'd have been happy (and most others) with just 1 version across all platforms.

Will probably get the Switch version, unless it's more expensive than the PS5 version (probably will be, Nintendo tax and all that)

Man, I was actually excited for this before I saw that needlessly complicated release plan. Stop sabotaging your best efforts, Sega!

Anyway, I doubt I'll be getting this, considering I already have all of these 4 games throughout Steam & Switch. The missions/challenges look really nice, but not enough to justify the 35€... on the other hand, Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Switch is also a really compelling product...

There's something kind of funny about the fact there's more SKUs than games in the collection. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dufniall said:

If you want all content, don't forget to pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition. You want fun? It'll cost ya!

FQyhisLXEAAyyNz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Disgusting and pathetic.

20 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Why so many versions, i'd have been happy (and most others) with just 1 version across all platforms.

Publishers want to get every bit of cash from the consumer.

When you compare this to something like Sonic Jam (Saturn) or Sonic Mega/Gems Collection (GameCube) it shows just how bad things have got in the gaming industry. The titles I mentioned were games filled with Sonic content. Games, adverts, box arts, concept art etc. were all included without selling them in different versions of the game. It's a sad state of affairs. :(

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Disgusting and pathetic.

I know right. If I ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition, I'd at least want 100 bonus coins.

50 minutes ago, Ashley said:

There's something kind of funny about the fact there's more SKUs than games in the collection. 

There's only 2 SKUs really. One is a preorder bonus and 2 are DLC.

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Publishers want to get every bit of cash from the consumer.

You know, I'm not even sure. If they had just launched this as a 40€ game with everything, there'd be a small amount of complaining about the higher-than-expected price, but otherwise not much of a fuss.

But then they specifically decided to say "And for 5€ less, you can get a deficient version of the game!"... It's like, why even?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jonnas said:

You know, I'm not even sure. If they had just launched this as a 40€ game with everything, there'd be a small amount of complaining about the higher-than-expected price, but otherwise not much of a fuss.

But then they specifically decided to say "And for 5€ less, you can get a deficient version of the game!"... It's like, why even?

My thoughts exactly, all this controversy could've been easily avoided if SEGA just had the one SKU for €39.99.

This strategy was stupid with Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania and it's even more stupid now.  All it does is make SEGA look greedy and money grubbing.

Edited by Dcubed

We got some clarification on the music for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

• Thanks 1

Definitely the best alternative, I was expecting just the pre-release tracks from the PC version, so new renditions of those so they work better is an improvement from that.

Sign in to follow this