NEurope
Ronnie

Hogwarts Legacy

52 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

'JK Rowling has nothing to do with the Harry Potter franchise'

Please kindly point out where I wrote that "JK Rowling has nothing to do with the Harry Potter franchise".

13 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Check yourself before you wreck yourself Ronnie - you like to abuse authority because you forget we are people too. You may try and demand I be either member of this forum or moderator of this forum - I am both. I have equal right to report you as disruptive and be taken seriously without being the moderator involved - I suggest again you step off and back off with your issues with authority/whatever complexes you have and really consider how you post.

I don't understand what this is referring to. A member of this board puts words in my mouth, I challenge them on that, and now all of a sudden I have problems with authority and forget that they're people too. ??????

My stance has been crystal clear in this thread. JK Rowling has had 'nothing to do with the development of this game', that's all I've ever referred to. No pivoting, no disingenuousness. No attitude. 

Edited by Ronnie

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

My stance has been crystal clear in this thread. JK Rowling has had 'nothing to do with the development of this game', that's all I've ever referred to. No pivoting, no disingenuousness. No attitude. 

If it were 'crystal clear' then people in the thread and you would not be having disagreements on this. You may believe yourself 'crystal clear' but quite clearly, and crystally, you were not clear and caused bones of contention.

Accept that as an observation of how you post as a habit, or move on. I like Harry Potter, so do others, but nobody in their right might can try to dismiss JK Rowling from Harry Potter. It's a mad point, and you seem to be deliberately trying to ignore that/dismiss that.

It's like trying to discuss Zelda or Mario without discussing Miyamoto. It's a frank madness, imo. You can't divorce these creators from their art or end products especially if they still profit off it - I think that's just being really disingenuous - and its valid for people here to express that opinion in this thread(akin to why i expressed I wouldn't be in favour of closing it, either.)

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

If it were 'crystal clear' then people in the thread and you would not be having disagreements on this. You may believe yourself 'crystal clear' but quite clearly, and crystally, you were not clear and caused bones of contention.

No one has suggested they were in any way confused with my stance. People disagreed with it, or offered alternative viewpoints, sure, hence the very purpose of a discussion board, but no one was in any way confused. The only confusion in this thread arose from you putting words in my mouth and condescendingly telling me to "behave" for things I didn't say. 'JK Rowling has nothing to do with the Harry Potter franchise' is something that you said, not me. 

Know what I don't care about? Harry Potter. Sure, it had a nice thing going for it around the turn of the millennium as an up and coming "Roald Dahl series for modern-day children and adults alike" sort of thing but for me nosedived after the third entry, and my honest opinion is that I wish it had vanished off the face of the earth after the concluding book was published.

Nor do I participate in the Other Consoles board for the simple fact that I don't have one.

But people are welcome to be into Harry Potter and non-Nintendo gaming. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Wanna know what I do care about? N-Europe. And due to the recent posts section on the forum homepage, I saw things kicking off here yesterday so wandered in for a read at what the full posts were. And what it looked like to me was maybe three people were admirably open to tentatively discussing Hogwarts Legacy while the rest of the page rapidly filled up with some sort of driveby Rick Roll of a post by an admin, and other members piling in with plenty to get off their chests and the open intention of getting this thread locked before it got off the ground. If we're in the business of locking game threads because of where a game comes from, then I'd like to volunteer my very own Metroid Dread thread because the situation the employees at MercurySteam had to put up with sounded unacceptable--all the more so for a studio someone like Nintendo was partnering with.* But no, that's not N-Europe. Topics can be discussed and explored here calmly from various angles, and games can be enjoyed and chatted about no matter where they originate if it's what our members are interested in.

Likewise, I think here, in this thread, people should be free to anticipate the game (without judgement or being talked down to) or say their piece and move on with their day. If it can't be left at that and isn't constructive, a thread can be opened up in general chit chat where hell can be raised, the thread can be locked and everyone involved can give themselves a pat on the back.

Warner says Rowling is not involved with Hogwarts Legacy (but really, what can they say?), and yes no doubt she is getting money for this because Potter is her thing. The dilemma is clear. No one needs to be browbeaten with it. But there are sites covering this game, it's currently down for a Christmas release and will likely sell gangbusters (perhaps bringing a well-earned bonus to the devs...) whether it's good or average because Harry Potter is still massive and so is Switch. Just based on those two things this is a moneymaking match made in heaven. People are gonna play the game and people are gonna want to talk about the game, and I think doing so here should not be met with such vitriol.

--------------
Had to look up the game to verify a few things** so I don't look like an utter fool here, and it appears broomsticks are in but Quidditch is not. So boo to that. However, it is apparently an RPG so that could be interesting...

* In no way saying Rowling and MercurySteam are the same but if people want to start locking threads let's do it. 
**Confirmation that I've checked myself before I've wrecked myself. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“The Switch version is going to be awesome, it sure will be. We are doing everything in our power to make sure that each version is beautiful, that it is well optimized and above all that it is faithful to the idea we had of the title. And in the end it will be exactly the title we want.”

From here, translated from a muliplayer.it interview.

Reminds me of the PSWii60 days when you got those big production games on the HD twins and a flash game on the Wii...

Getting fantastic reviews! 86 on MC at the moment. Main drawbacks are a few technical issues and enemy variety isn't great. Tons of fun and engaging content though, a good combat system and decent story.

Edited by Ronnie

It's looking good.  For me, Friday can't come soon enough.

I know, there is/was a Deluxe giving 72 hour early access.  But gotta look after the pennies at times.

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Seems to be averaging a platform 9 3/4s out of 10. 

eyeroll-dwight.gif

I hate you

• Haha 1

My copy arrived yesterday. As a HP fan, i’m really enjoying it so far. Granted only about an hour in…

Z0g9tvs.png

100% agree with this deleted Tweet that he has since acknowledged as "road rage" and apologised for. 

It should be the quote on the game box. LOL. :laughing: 

13 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Z0g9tvs.png

100% agree with this deleted Tweet that he has since acknowledged as "road rage" and apologised for. 

Oof, that's got to be the worst - and probably the only bad - take I've ever seen from Linneman. I don't think he's put a foot wrong in terms of content creation or social media presence for DF before, so that seems like a huge swing and a miss for me. 

I get the general sentiment that it's not for him and he sounds more than a bit wound up over having to cover it for his job - Harry Potter isn't for me either, totally get it - but play what you want to play and enjoy what you want to enjoy, I don't think throwing out a bit of a hysterical take publicly slamming the IP (and, by the standards of what you could slam Harry Potter for, it's for pretty petty reasons all things considered) and an entire design ethos in open worlds helps anyone. It comes across as slamming the people that do enjoy this - either the game, or IP, or both - which is never a good look. 

Sounds like something he should have aired out with his bosses, not the internet. If he did tweet that, it's incredibly unprofessional from one of the best technically-focused minds in gaming journalism who is normally anything but. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a dumb tweet from a guy that's usually pretty level-headed.

Just what I was thinking, what a daft tweet. The irony of typing it's for children while being incredibly childish in his response. That's the kind of forum message we might have typed at 14 to signal we weren't children anymore.

• Like 1

I am a massive Harry Potter fan. Grew up with the books and movies and I have always been completely in love with the world. I know people have their opinions on JK Rowling but the world she has created is something I will forever cherish as it had genuinely kept me out of dark places in my life and allowed me to fully escape. When this game was announced, I had honestly never been so excited for a game. It's the first time in years I had even pre-ordered a game. I even did the Twitch drops and got my Fan Page stuff. 

Playing it today had me in awe. It's everything I thought it would be and more. It's just absolutely stunning. I really want the PS5 controller as well!

• Like 4

Yeah, the trolls and Internet pushback will get a rise out of anyone sooner or later.

On 10/02/2023 at 10:35 PM, Beast said:

I am a massive Harry Potter fan. Grew up with the books and movies and I have always been completely in love with the world. I know people have their opinions on JK Rowling but the world she has created is something I will forever cherish as it had genuinely kept me out of dark places in my life and allowed me to fully escape. When this game was announced, I had honestly never been so excited for a game. It's the first time in years I had even pre-ordered a game. I even did the Twitch drops and got my Fan Page stuff. 

Playing it today had me in awe. It's everything I thought it would be and more. It's just absolutely stunning. I really want the PS5 controller as well!

That's great to hear. It must be a joy to have such a well-put-together adaptation of something you hold so dear. 

On 10/02/2023 at 12:34 PM, darksnowman said:

Z0g9tvs.png

Just saw this.  Surprisingly unprofessional coming from Linneman.

The guy has a professional duty to provide content for his company and his audience, despite his own personal tastes.

If you don't want to cover a game for political/ethical reasons? That's understandable.  But not covering a game as a professional (and full-time employee) for your company because you personally dislike the property and see it as being beneath you is frankly unacceptable.

This is the kind of bullshit that Nintendo-made games and non 10-25 year old male orientated game developers have had to put up with for decades and it needs to stop.  The audience deserves better.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The guy has a professional duty to provide content for his company and his audience, despite his own personal tastes.

If you don't want to cover a game for political/ethical reasons? That's understandable.  But not covering a game as a professional (and full-time employee) for your company because you personally dislike the property and see it as being beneath you is frankly unacceptable.

I assume the company doesn't have anyone else that could review this game who likes the Potter franchise? Even if not I wouldn't have expected a glowing review from this chap.

Never heard of this chap, but he sounds like a complete bell-end. What a weird hill to die on.