NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

The Diofield Chronicle

SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES THE DIOFIELD CHRONICLE

All New Strategy-RPG with Music from Game of Thrones composers Ramin Djawadi and Brandon Campbell Arrives Later This Year

LOS ANGELES (March 10, 2022) – SQUARE ENIX® today announced The DioField Chronicle, an all-new strategy-RPG that immerses players in an epic tale of war and honor, is coming to the PlayStation®5 (PS5™) system, the PlayStation®4 console, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch™ and STEAM® later this year.

This fresh new franchise is developed by SQUARE ENIX in conjunction with Lancarse Ltd, a team of veteran strategy developers, features unique character designs by Taiki (Lord of Vermilion III, IV), concept art by Isamu Kamikokuryo (FINAL FANTASY XII, FINAL FANTASY XIII) and has beautifully orchestrated music by world-renowned composers Ramin Djawadi and Brandon Campbell, known best for their work on Game of Thrones.

The Announcement Trailer unveiled today provides a first look at the story and new, deeply strategic real-time battle system called ‘Real-Time Tactical Battle’ (RTTB). Told through stunning ‘diorama’-style combat scenes, players will assess front line conditions in real-time, issue decisive orders and use a variety of skills, classes, and equipment to gain the upper hand over their foes.

The DioField Chronicle is set in a beautiful and unique world blending fantasy, medieval and modern-day influences. Under the steady hand of the Shaytham dynasty, the Kingdom of Alletain on DioField Island has known peace for 200 years, but suddenly find themselves cast into an age of uncertainty due to the rise of warlike powers and modern magic.

The Kingdom of Alletain is rich in the mineral Jade, prized for its use as a base ingredient in magic and sorcery, and the attention of both the Empire and the Alliance inevitably turns towards the island. Players will take control of a band of elite mercenaries calling themselves “Blue Fox”, but will the name “Blue Fox” come to signify hope or darkest tragedy?

https://press.na.square-enix.com/SQUARE-ENIX-ANNOUNCES-THE-DIOFIELD-CHRONICLE

I'm curious to see how this RTTB system turns out.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to be reductive, but I swear this exact same game comes out every six months. ::shrug:

Anime characters, tick
Stiff dialogue, tick
Medieval setting, tick
Warring states/factions, tick

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry to be reductive, but I swear this exact same game comes out every six months. ::shrug:

Anime characters, tick
Stiff dialogue, tick
Medieval setting, tick

Fire Emblem sells, dude. There's a clear market for that kind of game.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Fire Emblem sells, dude. There's a clear market for that kind of game.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Anime characters, tick
Stiff dialogue, tick
Medieval setting, tick

You'd be forgiven for that especially since Project Triangle Strategy just came out. Oh, and add silly name to the list when you're at it. :laughing: "The diorama field chronicle" indeed.

My first thought was something similar--it's got the look, it's got mineral, magic, sorcery, mercenaries... déjà-vu or what! But let's see if this real-time tactical battle system proves successful in setting it apart.  

And will S-E have the cheek to get Nintendo to publish it on Switch! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to check, everyone knew it was Squeenix from the name alone yeah?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's a dumb name, but I'm a sucker for these games, eventhough I'm playing very little in general currently. But I'll be keeping an eye on it.

You may have thought this was Final Fantasy Tactics, but...

566.gif

field Chronicle!

It's nice to see more high-budgeted efforts directed at the strategy RPG genre. With the end of the 3DS, I thought these games would languish without a dedicated handheld (which is the tried and true home of the genre), but instead, we're seeing better efforts. Plus, the apparent success of Triangle Strategy bodes well for the future.

As for this game specifically, I was sceptic when I heard it was "like Fire Emblem", because people are quick to draw shallow comparisons. However, the portrait cut-ins in the middle of the battle is a very FE thing, heck, even the aesthetic (diagonal cut from the side of the character) is similar. But I'll wait to see more pondered gameplay before calling it a copycat.

Noteworthy, they fetched someone from Game of Thrones for this game (the composer). It took surprisingly long for someone to use GoT clout to promote a game with this kind of "medieval political intrigue" setting.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The game is releasing September 22nd in Japan, as confirmed in a dedicated livestream, and a demo is also landing on 10th August (but again, only listed for Japan so far?):

This might be the worldwide release date as Steam is also listed below this date in the livestream? But it's not yet confirmed. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

English trailer is up, confirming September 22nd as the game's release date worldwide:

• Thanks 1

I finally tried the demo yesterday and... it was surprisingly good? It definitely felt like a few chapters/story beats were missing, but I was still impressed.

• Aesthetics look a bit bland at first, but there's some character to it. Surprised to see it was so... XIX Century;
  • The RTS genre managed to be translated surprisingly well to console controls. Had no difficulty whatsoever (and it helps that time stops while you're selecting);
  • Voice acting is excellent, while writing is concise enough to not let me get overwhelmed by the setting;
  • Gameplay loop was quick and snappy all around. Even in-between chapters. After Three Houses (and really, most turn-based Strategy RPGs), I'm finding value in this.

The only issue is that 60€ feels like a very steep price to ask for a game like this. Despite my praise, this feels like a lower/middling budget game, 30€ at most.

Sign in to follow this