Jump to content
NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection

Recommended Posts

This was just revealed, it's headed to PS4/PS5,Xbox Series X/S and Nintendo Switch. Games included are:

Quote

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan (Game Boy) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy) • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)

Quote

*11 Japanese regional versions total -No Japanese versions released for TMNT (Arcade) and TMNT: Tournament Fighters (NES) **Titles with online functionality -TMNT (Arcade), TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade), TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist, TMNT Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)

Quote

KONAMI partnered with game developer Digital Eclipse to expertly adapt these classics for modern gaming systems with a fantastic set of quality-of-life features including save anytime and rewind, button mapping, and added online play for certain games** with local couch play for all titles where originally intended. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection will also come with a digital game guide for each title to help players fight and sometimes swim through difficult areas.

I am very excited for this, TMNT for the NES was the first ever game I owned. I also really enjoyed TMNT fighters for the snes as well as Turtles in time, so I'll be happy to play those agin.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TMNT on the SNES might actually be beatable with save states and a rewind function! Loved that game but the 4th level on :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that’s a hefty collection! Getting the Arcade game on there is a great addition. Plus rewind states so finally I may actually stand a chance of beating the original NES game! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic collection of games. This is one now of my most anticipated games of the year. I always wanted to play the third NES game and now I can. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

GIVE THIS TO ME RIGHT NOW!!! :D

Man, 80s TMNT fans be EATING this year! 🍕🍕🍕

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to get it when it's £4 like the other Konami collections on eShop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Can't wait to get it when it's £4 like the other Konami collections on eShop!

I think the SRP is 40 which is quite hefty, but on the other hand this has more games in it compared to other collections. Still, being a Konami collection means it will hit 50-75% off pretty soon anyway.

Still, great collection! I loved Turtles In Time on the SNES, never owned it but I rented it a couple of times. I played Tournament Fighters on an emulator, and I can recall me playing one of the Game Boy games as well although I don't know which one. Having online for a bunch of titles is great as well, will probably pick it up down the line in a sale just for online Turtles In Time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a lot of turtles! Didn't even realise they had that many games. 

Used to love Turtles in Time. And as an immature adult I appreciate the initialisation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not much for playing retro games so probably won't pick this up. Played Turtles a lot in the NES back in the days, though. I didn't come very far into it but I enjoyed it being a massive Turtles fan nevertheless. 

I'll just get my Turtles fix from Shredder's Revenge when that comes out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dufniall said:

I think the SRP is 40 which is quite hefty, but on the other hand this has more games in it compared to other collections. Still, being a Konami collection means it will hit 50-75% off pretty soon anyway.

Still, great collection! I loved Turtles In Time on the SNES, never owned it but I rented it a couple of times. I played Tournament Fighters on an emulator, and I can recall me playing one of the Game Boy games as well although I don't know which one. Having online for a bunch of titles is great as well, will probably pick it up down the line in a sale just for online Turtles In Time.

Worth keeping in mind that a SNES cartridge copy of Turtles in Time on eBay will run you back more than this entire collection combined.

Hard to argue with the value on offer here really.

🐢 Power!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be the first to admit I don't have much particular nostalgia for any one TMNT game (my sole contact being a very brief brush with one of the Game Boy games), but this does look like a very well put collection!

It's being made by Digital Eclipse (thanks for the shout, @darksnowman), so it's in good hands. I'm curious to see what sort of goodies and materials they'll find for the extras.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2022 at 12:25 PM, Ashley said:

That's a lot of turtles! Didn't even realise they had that many games. 

Used to love Turtles in Time. And as an immature adult I appreciate the initialisation. 

Och well, we do lovingly think of you as a great old Turtle in Time after all. :p 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Och well, we do lovingly think of you as a great old Turtle in Time after all. :p 

Appropriately enough a friend does call me tartaruga (turtle in Italian). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2022 at 5:28 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Fantastic collection of games. This is one now of my most anticipated games of the year. I always wanted to play the third NES game and now I can. 

Which console are you planning on getting this for? Not sure this needs voice chat so I'm thinking Switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Which console are you planning on getting this for? Not sure this needs voice chat so I'm thinking Switch.

Pending on what the trophies are like, probably the PlayStation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Radical, dude! :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been watching a few demonstrations of this game on YouTube and Twitch, as it was being shown off at San Diego Comic Con and it really looks like Konami put a lot of care into this title.

You can switch each game between Japanese and American versions. There's a rewind feature which is a big help for TMNT NES. There is an enhanced menu for each game which lets you turn on any cheats that were originally in those games (basically saving you the bother of having to input button codes). You can also turn off stuff like sprite flicker and slowdown so you can either play as these games as they originally where or an enhanced version. There is a 'watch mode' where the game is played for you an you can take over control at any point. The mega drive version of Tournament fighters lets you play as the boss characters which is something that was not in the original.

Each game has an interactive strategy guide which is designed to look like the old Nintendo Power guides. It lets you replay sections of the game to practice. There's a museum with covers, box art, art, original PR releases, soundtracks for all the games and design documents.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, a lot of those features are legit cool. Especially the easy cheat codes one.

I was kinda bummed that SNES Turtles in Time doesn't have online multiplayer support, but seeing those features has got my interest reignited a bit.

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

The mega drive version of Tournament fighters lets you play as the boss characters which is something that was not in the original.

Let me make sure I've got this right, when you say "the original", do you mean the original Mega Drive version?

Because if this collection added that option, that would be a really fun addition!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wow, a lot of those features are legit cool. Especially the easy cheat codes one.

I was kinda bummed that SNES Turtles in Time doesn't have online multiplayer support, but seeing those features has got my interest reignited a bit.

Let me make sure I've got this right, when you say "the original", do you mean the original Mega Drive version?

Because if this collection added that option, that would be a really fun addition!

yeah, the guy mentioned that you could not play as the bosses in the original mega drive (he says Genesis) versions but you can in this. I'm pretty sure he isn't talking about the Snes version as I owned that game and I remember you could enter a code to play as The Rat King and Karai.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also worth noting that Digital Eclipse in particular seem to have an affinity for the Mega Drive as opposed to the SNES.  Whenever they do any touch-up work on an existing console release? It always seems to be for the Mega Drive version.  Their programmers are probably just more well versed in 68000 assembly than SNES 5A22/65816 assembly.

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just a random thing, but I remember back when the SNES version of TMNT Tournament Fighters was due to be released, I was reading through reviews in magazines at the time and a  screenshot showed one of the characters getting smashed through the left side of Rat King's stage:

ratking-jp-stage.png

When I got the game, i couldn't get that to work so I just assumed it was something that had been cut from the final release. I only found out a few years ago that for whatever reason, you can still do this on the Japanese version.

There were a few other minor differences, which is called TMNT Mutant Warriors over there. The voices are different as well as some of the character portraits on the selection screen. But the main difference are to do with Aska:

pp2Uhs7.gifGyY8F27.png  vI6Tq2c.png<NA/EU version

UzUbKxa.gifW2fMh6r.pngCFIvizJ.png<Japanese

 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

You can also turn off stuff like sprite flicker and slowdown so you can either play as these games as they originally where or an enhanced version.

Thanks for sharing all the info. Great summary. Not shooting the messenger here but this collection (and the people behind it) has gone severely down in my estimations now.

Clearly they were so preoccupied with whether slowdown could be turned off, they didn't stop to think if it should. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Thanks for sharing all the info. Great summary. Not shooting the messenger here but this collection (and the people behind it) has gone severely down in my estimations now.

Clearly they were so preoccupied with whether slowdown could be turned off, they didn't stop to think if it should. 

 

I'd probably keep that stuff switched on since that is how I remember playing it, but I like the option is there

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I'd probably keep that stuff switched on since that is how I remember playing it, but I like the option is there

Agreed.  I personally value accuracy to the original experience over all else, but I can't complain if it's optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×