NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

I'm not exactly new to Pokémon but I am when it comes to the newer games. I really want to give this a go but not sure on where to start: Violet or Scarlet. My last game that I properly played was X and Y. I tried Sword but didn't feel it much. I've heard good things about this minus the bugs. What would you guys recommend?

Sent from my Nokia G10 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Beast said:

I'm not exactly new to Pokémon but I am when it comes to the newer games. I really want to give this a go but not sure on where to start: Violet or Scarlet. My last game that I properly played was X and Y. I tried Sword but didn't feel it much. I've heard good things about this minus the bugs. What would you guys recommend?

Do you mean which version? Because that depends on whether you have an NSO account. If you do, then it doesn't really matter. Someone here will likely help you out with any version exclusives you want. If you don't have NSO, then you should make your choice dependant on which version has the exclusive Pokémon you like. Although that depends on how blind you want to jump into it.

I normally just go with the one that has the Pokémon on the cover that I like better. Which is why I chose Scarlet.

Do you mean which version? Because that depends on whether you have an NSO account. If you do, then it doesn't really matter. Someone here will likely help you out with any version exclusives you want. If you don't have NSO, then you should make your choice dependant on which version has the exclusive Pokémon you like. Although that depends on how blind you want to jump into it.
I normally just go with the one that has the Pokémon on the cover that I like better. Which is why I chose Scarlet.
I got Violet because it's the only one I could get hold of!

• Haha 1

Here's a question: if I had a Pokémon and I evolved it, does it count that I still have that Pokémon? For example, if I have Pikachu and evolved it to Raichu, would I need another Pikachu or would the Pokédex count it as having both?

Unless it's changed for this game it's always still counted. The Pokédex is "have you had" rather than "do you currently have". 

• Like 1

Unless it's changed for this game it's always still counted. The Pokédex is "have you had" rather than "do you currently have". 
Ahhh got it. I've been thoroughly enjoying Violet. I got a code for Pikachu and I'm using him as my main. I also chose Fuecoco as my starter but would LOVE Quaxly as well! I need to figure out trading to get it.

Urgggh, I swear 95% of people are playing Violet, trying to trade for the Scarlet exclusives using the link codes takes forever! The one time I wanted to trade the other way I found the right version first time :blank:

Can any Scarlet players help me out with the following?

• Flutter Mane (in premier ball)
  • Slither Wing
  • Sandy Shocks
  • Roaring Moon (x2, one in premier ball)
  • Karoidan (permanent trade for Miraidon)

I can trade the Violet exclusive versions if needed.

Also need to trade Scyther and Slowbro to evolve them, then trade back again.

21 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Urgggh, I swear 95% of people are playing Violet, trying to trade for the Scarlet exclusives using the link codes takes forever! The one time I wanted to trade the other way I found the right version first time :blank:

• Slither Wing
  • Sandy Shocks

Wait, really? I'd have thought it was the opposite because the only copies I can ever find is Violet. I'm after Scarlet as well now. I'm properly hooked on the game. Just wondering though, if I got Scarlet pre-owned, would I still be able to get the Pikachu with Fly? I can't get it brand-new so I'm thinking it could be my only option...

6 hours ago, Eddage said:

• Slither Wing
  • Sandy Shocks

I've finally got all the Scarlet exclusive trades done!

Just need to sort out Scizor, Slowking and Palafin, can anyone spare 5 mins to do some trades and set up a co-op session?

Right... Ignore the above, I turned to Reddit to get my Dex completed :bouncy:

I'm really enjoying shiny hunting and have already got more than in any other game. Trying to get shinies for all the Pokemon I want to use in Raids, so far I have Azumarill, Kirlia (will be Gardevoir), Camerupt, Toedscruel, Vaporeon, Sylveon, Volcarona, Iron Moth, Iron Hands, Iron Thorns and Iron Valliant. A few of those I caught within 30 minutes using the same sandwich, I even managed three Iron Valliants from one sandwich!

However, I am once again requested aid! I caught a shiny Scyther which I want to evolve, however I don't trust Reddit, knowing my lucj the other person will just run away with it :laughing: Can anyone spare a few minutes to trade and then trade back?

58 minutes ago, Ike said:

I can do the trade back if you still need to.

Thanks, but already got it :) 

Insert "It's been 3,000 years" reference here.

Typical, huh? I gripe for years about how I can't use the shiny Greninja I hatched 3 generations ago, but when they finally bring that Pokémon back, it's been nerfed, shinies have become so easy to get, they've become near worthless, and I no longer care about mainline Pokémon enough to actually gripe about not getting to use my shiny Greninja.

That's a pyrrhic victory if I ever did see one...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Sad 1

I finished the main game last night, reaching the credits, is it worth doing the post-game quest? 

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

I finished the main game last night, reaching the credits, is it worth doing the post-game quest? 

Depends if you want to unlock 6 and 7 star raids. You’ll need to if you want to the Greninja event. It doesn’t really take very long to do though.

• Thanks 1

I'm not so sure, I hear having a shiny Greninja is déclassé. 

• Haha 1

On 19-1-2023 at 7:47 PM, killthenet said:

I think it is, but then again I actually do like this game :laughing:

Edited by markderoos

The credits have rolled and Ed Sheeran has been heard in Pokémon Scarlet. Finished the game with these 'mon:

Spoiler
  • Meowscarada
  • Clodsire
  • Flamigo
  • Pawmot
  • Palafin
  • Tinkaton

The verdict? It's a very tricky one. There is a certain addiction to it and I like having three main objectives. Area Zero was nice but I think they could have integrated it a lot more in the story. Some of the new Pokémon designs are cool. Some QoL changes are useful as well (such as not getting the nickname prompt).

However, there are a lot of negatives. The open world is a bit of a mixed bag. Where in for example Breath of the Wild you actually find cool hidden stuff, there never is anything special here. Just the ruins that are always the same, or a TM or item. No amazing rare Pokémon, nothing that triggers me to explore the map. Speaking of, an open world game without the ability to put multiple flags is bad. Where I wasn't bothered in Arceus, the world feels too empty here as well.

It's a shame they cut the catching without battling mechanism from Arceus, I loved that. And somehow Arceus runs better.

I mean, the game is no looker (except for the Pokémon models), pop in like mad, every single cutscene or transfer has a small stutter, if there are a number of Pokémon in sight in a fight it slows down to a crawl, and at the Psychic Gym Test the resolution just tanked! Battles also feel a lot slower, for example switching in takes quite some time, and when a Pokémon faints and you get the XP, takes too long. I can't believe how bad it runs actually and I thought I could get over it but despite liking bits of it, for me it is (one of) the weakest Pokémon games.

Still no voice acting, so here you are in a dramatic scene and mouths are moving and you hear... nothing. Oh, and the Nemona is one of the most annoying NPC's ever! 

I may go do a bit of the post-game but getting to this point felt like a slog so I'm not sure how far I'll get. The part after completing the 3 main events was the best part of the game so far, but it still couldn't redeem the game from being a non-polished title. Has this been given a half a year to a year extra and we could have had an amazing game. 6.5/10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone planning on doing the Greninja 7star tera raids this weekend?

It’s the first generation in which I’m actually tip toeing into competitive breeding/training so I’m looking for people to join the raid that are at least a bit better than the randoms I usually get coupled with :) 

I’ve bred a 5 perfect IV and fully EV trained Clodsire, Water Absorb, Leftovers. Ground Tera Type.

First move will be yawn, then second move Curse. Earthquacke and Recover for the rest of the battle.

9 hours ago, markderoos said:

Anyone planning on doing the Greninja 7star tera raids this weekend?

It’s the first generation in which I’m actually tip toeing into competitive breeding/training so I’m looking for people to join the raid that are at least a bit better than the randoms I usually get coupled with :) 

I’ve bred a 5 perfect IV and fully EV trained Clodsire, Water Absorb, Leftovers. Ground Tera Type.

First move will be yawn, then second move Curse. Earthquacke and Recover for the rest of the battle.

I'm going to wait and see what Pokemon/strategies prove successful before I commit to training anything up. Hoping for another easy solo strat, I've been enjoying kicking Cinderace's ass over the last couple of weeks!

For Clodsire my concern would be that, even with Curse, it wouldn't be able to output enough damage in time.

Edited by Eddage

9 minutes ago, Eddage said:

For Clodsire my concern would be that, even with Curse, it wouldn't be able to output enough damage in time. It's also weak to water so even with all that bulk how long is it going to last against Water Shuriken considering Curse isn't increasing special defence?

I was the one who suggested Clodsire, mostly because it's the only Pokémon that can hit Greninja's Poison typing super effectively with a STAB move, while also not getting hit with a super effective STAB move, because of Water Absorb.

It's the only Pokémon in the game that can do that. The only thing to be concerned about is if Greninja has Ice Beam, but it's still better then other stuff.

I may not be able to join in because I can't be bothered to get to the point where I can get competitive Pokémon, but I can certainly help theory craft stuff for these raids.

Also, Water Shuriken is a physical move.

Edited by Glen-i

I removed that final sentence when I realised Clodsire had Water Absorb :laughing:

Also, both Serebii and Bulbapedia say Water Shuriken is special? Bulbapedia says it changed to a special move in Gen 7.

Edited by Eddage

23 minutes ago, Eddage said:

I removed that final sentence when I realised Clodsire had Water Absorb :laughing:

Also, both Serebii and Bulbapedia say Water Shuriken is special? Bulbapedia says it changed to a special move in Gen 7.

It did? Huh. It did!

Wish I knew that sooner, always felt weird for Greninja's signature move to not take advantage of it's special based stats.

It wouldn't have a super effective STAB move but what about a Water Absorb Vaporeon with Acid Armor / Calm Mind / Fake Tears / Stored Power?

If Greninja ends up being a special attacker then it would be able to take more hits than Clodsire and the difference between Clodsire's attack and Vaporeon's special attack stats would go some way to making up for Stored Power not being STAB. After 7 turns (the same number of setup turns Slowbro needed to one shot Cinderace) Stored Power would be up to 260 and Greninja's special defense would be down 2 stages. Potential one shot territory?