NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

On 17/11/2022 at 9:48 PM, MindFreak said:

I can't find an option to have the Pokémon stay in battle without being prompted about wanting to swap it out. That's annoying!

I forgot to respond to this due to... Well, the omnishambles of everything else, but you seem to be right. There's no option to use the "Set" style of gameplay. I checked the settings both before and after I got my Fuecoco, and it's nowhere.

That's been a thing since Red/Blue, and it's wild to think it's actually gone now. Don't want to play "Shift" style? Tough!

Granted, Legends: Arceus didn't have the option, but that forces you to use "Set" and the way turn order is handled is completely different, so it's not quite the same there.

This game, man. It's really not filling me with confidence that this is the right direction to go for the series.

• Like 1

I just reached the school area this morning. It's like a slide show in that place. The students walking animations really stutter until you get close to them. There's loads of pop in as well, something that poor Sonic Frontiers got blasted for.

I'm still enjoying just walking around the open area and exploring a bit. I've managed to find loads of TMs lying around.

I thought my Quaxley would have evolved by now. Thing is level 18 and still stuck on its first form.

This is just embarrassing.

I honestly can't remember playing a game that has been so glitchy, especially this early on. Its a weird experience coming from playing Splatoon 3, which looks and runs like a dream, to this.

When Cyberpunk was released it was a mess and there was a huge uproar but there hasn't been anywhere near the same amount of outlets kicking off over this. Had this not had the Pokemon name attached to it then it would have been raked over the coals.

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I forgot to respond to this due to... Well, the omnishambles of everything else, but you seem to be right. There's no option to use the "Set" style of gameplay. I checked the settings both before and after I got my Fuecoco, and it's nowhere.

That's been a thing since Red/Blue, and it's wild to think it's actually gone now. Don't want to play "Shift" style? Tough!

Granted, Legends: Arceus didn't have the option, but that forces you to use "Set" and the way turn order is handled is completely different, so it's not quite the same there.

This game, man. It's really not filling me with confidence that this is the right direction to go for the series.

There's no L=A either. 

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

There's no L=A either. 

When I read that, I was shocked, but thinking about it, I don't think I should be, really.

You can't realistically progress through this game with the left stick and 1 button like you could with previous games. What with moving the camera and the other buttons you need here.

For anyone going the gym route: You can get softlocked during the first one...

Spoiler

Yeah, you fucker, I would love to get the olive into the goal, but you made it your home you stupid hermit crab.

Make sure the green football is not in that spot when you fight the dude.

This game is something else...

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, drahkon said:

For anyone going the gym route: You can get softlocked during the first one...

First Gym Challenge Spoilers (Hide contents)

Yeah, you fucker, I would love to get the olive into the goal, but you made it your home you stupid hermit crab.

Make sure the green football is not in that spot when you fight the dude.

This game is something else...

Did that yesterday but didn't got locked. It was a tedious challenge, though, and makes no sense. It wasn't even a fun minigame...

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

Did that yesterday but didn't got locked.

Lucky you :D 

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

It was a tedious challenge, though, and makes no sense.

I wouldn't call it tedious because it was over in like a minute, but it was unnecessary. Just let me fight trainers and then the gym leader :p 

Anyways, beaten the gym leader, took me a total of 4 attacks.

My Magikarp is at level 19. I wonder when it evolves.

Just now, MindFreak said:

Took me a few more hits than that as I had the wrong type starter for that challenge. 

Didn't you catch other Pokémon? :p 

55 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Didn't you catch other Pokémon? :p 

Nothing that beats that type very well. But I managed. :p

BTW, if anyone wants to join Ugh First Aid and I in this, give me a shout and I'll give you the code.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

I wouldn't call it tedious because it was over in like a minute, but it was unnecessary. Just let me fight trainers and then the gym leader :p 

The first gym I went to had me running around town finding 10 sunflower Pokemon before I was allowed to battle the leader. As you said, tedious and unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The first gym I went to had me running around town finding 10 sunflower Pokemon before I was allowed to battle the leader. As you said, tedious and unnecessary. 

Yikes, that does sound tedious...

Gyarados has been replaced by Gible. Never heard of it before but it looks like it could evolve into a cool looking mon, and we all know that's what it's all about :p 

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Gyarados has been replaced by Gible. Never heard of it before but it looks like it could evolve into a cool looking mon, and we all know that's what it's all about :p 

This is amusing to me. Literally stumbles on one of the most consistently strongest Pokémon in the competitive scene and says "Could be cool".

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

This is amusing to me. Literally stumbles on one of the most consistently strongest Pokémon in the competitive scene and says "Could be cool".

I see, I see.
So it's cool and strong? Like me? HE'S ON THE TEAM, BABY!

You know what really grinds my gears? When you're fighting a boss trainer and that mofo keeps interrupting the battle with text...SHUT UP!

Edit: That's it for this weekend thanks to socializing in the real world. Hope the performance isn't that bad when I'm drunk later tonight. 

Spoiler

Ryujinx-1-1-365-Pok-mon-Violet-v1-0-1-01

Aside from Gastly, I've never seen any of these before :laughing: 
Wanna replace Skiddo with a different Grass type mon, but haven't seen a cool one so far. 

Gonna repeat what I said before: It's an absolute disaster regarding performance, graphics, etc.
The game itself is pretty fun.

This is close to what I wanted from Pokémon for a long time now. There's still some tedious stuff and the game (especially battles) is pretty slow, but other than that I'm enjoying it.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I found it more fun to actually catch the Pokémon i Legends, but battles are way better here. The world itself is a bit barren and the Poklémon that inhabit it are not doing anything at all, and some of them are even hard to see (I play handheld at the moment on the old Switch). The radar in the bottom is completely useless when you rotate the camera, the Pokémon moves in a weird way that cannot be right - disastrous that this went through QA.

Just now, MindFreak said:

The radar in the bottom is completely useless when you rotate the camera, the Pokémon moves in a weird way that cannot be right - disastrous that this went through QA.

I don't think that's meant to show you exact positions. It's just a general "it's in the surrounding area" thing.

Yeah, the radar sucks.

Still weird they went back to Pikachu’s original cry.

Just done the olive rolling challenge for the gym. What an absolute waste of time. Which of the development team thought that rolling around an olive would add anything other than annoyance to the game? They are really scraping the barrell with these gym challenges.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just done the olive rolling challenge for the gym. What an absolute waste of time. Which of the development team thought that rolling around an olive would add anything other than annoyance to the game? They are really scraping the barrell with these gym challenges.

What level Pokémon did the Gym Leader use? I did that one first and I'm curious.

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

What level Pokémon did the Gym Leader use? I did that one first and I'm curious.

Around level 14. It was my 3rd gym.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Around level 14. It was my 3rd gym.

Ah, so level scaling isn't a thing here then. Mine was the same level.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Ah, so level scaling isn't a thing here then. Mine was the same level.

Certainly looks that way. My team was level 30 when I took the gym on. There's clearly a set path if you want a more linear progression route. I'm just dotting all over the place at the moment.