NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Certainly looks that way. My team was level 30 when I took the gym on. There's clearly a set path if you want a more linear progression route. I'm just dotting all over the place at the moment. 

I think the Pokémon Center nurse tells you the recommended goal. I imagine she hints at where the lowest level one is.

pokemoncelestialchiptunecoverbanner2.620x0.webp

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Gets Celestial Chiptune Fan Cover

Now up on the main page.

Writeup, credits and video.

Artwork in this cover was produced by our very own @Josh64

Thanks for the heads-up on this Josh, it's a nicely put together cover.

Article is an N-Europe Exclusive. (at time of writing)

• Thanks 1

It's a shame that level scaling isn't a thing with the gyms. I suspect that it's the same with the Titans?

Got a few laughs tonight. 

Spoiler

Fighting a lighthouse named Mankey:

Billede

Hi there Grunt B

Fh9SPGlagAEFe_t?format=jpg&name=large

Well, it's great that they allow women to be muscular but this is a bit crazy:

Billede

Took down my first Titan and Team Star Base today.

Titan was Flying. Wasn't as epic as I had hoped and why didn't they show levels? 

Team Star Base - why am I limited to only three Pokémon here? I'm taking down an evil organisation but I can only bring three Pokémon (except for the boss which allows me to use all 6). But when I challenge Gyms, I can bring in a full team against a team of three. It's hard to understand why they don't add a bit more rules to the Gym challenge instead of adding stupid minigames. Speaking of:

Spoiler

In the water gym, the leader lost his wallet and stormed out in the desert. As a player you are just handed the guy's wallet and tasked to give it back to him. How trusting are these people? And that serves as the Gym Trial here - what? They just make it up along the way? 

Oh, is there actually anything to do in the cities? I've visited two now and the only shops there are only sandwich shops and shops that sell clothes and gear. Does anyone have anything to actually say in these cities? No side quests?

Edited by MindFreak
  • Haha 1

Started this game today after it arrived a day late in the mail so I'm going to be behind all you guys somewhat, especially since its a shared copy.

So that means I'm only just out of school with the Treasure Hunt started. I wound up picking Fueccoco as my starter and with a mentality from Legends: Arceus brought over have been trying to catch every uncaught Pokemon I can find. There's a good variety of Pokemon to find before you even get to the school which is nice.

This is my current team:

Every Gen I have a nickname theme. This time its "literal", so just naming them after what they're actually based off. So my Fueccoco is Crocodile, my Fidogh is Dog and so on. I've found Wiglett to be a bit weak so far as it takes quite a bit of damage and doesn't really have a moveset to take advantage of its high attack stat, as I can see its built to be a physical sweeper. I only just learned Aqua Jet after having to deal with Water Gun and Mud-Slap as my moves. I hope it evolves into a Water/Ground type, would be pretty solid if it did.

I also wound up benching Fueccoco just before the second rival fight started, would have been nice to have it for that fight.

I have so far done one Tera Raid battle. Yeah, you can really tell Toby Fox did that tune.

As for performance, well, it hasn't been too bad but I can't say I haven't encountered any issues because I have...

I hope they patch the performance issues but at the same time the opening hours have shown the potential of the game and how open world feels somewhat "right" for Pokemon. Its just a shame its happened during a time when the franchise is being annualised.

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Oh, is there actually anything to do in the cities? I've visited two now and the only shops there are only sandwich shops and shops that sell clothes and gear. Does anyone have anything to actually say in these cities? No side quests?

I found a shop in the main town, the one with the school, that sells hold items. But no side quests yet.

Just finished up a session with @Mokong. It really alleviates the boredom I feel with the region when you're chatting with someone else and casually catching Pokémon together. I can already tell the online co-op is gonna be this game's saving grace for me.

It also doesn't hurt that we can help each other find TM's by standing on one and getting the other person to follow the map icon showing where they are.

And naturally, comedy can occur more frequently. Here's one from my sesh with @Ugh first aid.

There she is, reducing a grown woman to tears through the power of sarcastic clapping.

Fh-ADrAakAEbX91?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 1

Oh frick

Spoiler

It requires to find 999 of those Gimmighoul coins. I have found a couple of them.... that's insane!

Edited by MindFreak

5 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Oh frick

evolving Gimmighoul (Reveal hidden contents)

It requires to find 999 of those Gimmighoul coins. I have found a couple of them.... that's insane!

It's easier than you think.

Spoiler

You get around 50 coins just by defeating the chest versions of it. Hunt them down (usually on towers or in ruins) and you should get a bunch in no time.

• Like 1

@Ugh first aid asked me to post some of the videos she's been recording.

It's weird. That lack of walking animation in the second last video only happens in Local Wireless. When we switched to online, it was much smoother.

I hope they don't fix that invisible Koraidon/Miraidon quirk. It's too funny.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

If you join other peoples game, can you encounter version exclusive ‘mons or is is still just from your version?

20 minutes ago, Ike said:

If you join other peoples game, can you encounter version exclusive ‘mons or is is still just from your version?

The former.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I'm a little surprised they did that.

I imagine it's to encourage people to utilise the Union Circle. Which you should, there's really no downside. More Raid Dens show up (although each den is designated an "owner" who will have to initiate it), you don't have to deal with AI partners in Raids, you can get version exclusives, you're free to do anything you like in the game, even initiate cutscenes and progress the main goal, the progress will transfer back to your file.

I've also been able to help my cousin with navigation thanks to Koraidon sticking out like a sore thumb. And it's been a great distraction for me having someone in the same room to chat with.

It's honestly the best thing about this game.

EDIT: If there's one criticism I have, it's that people can only join a Union Circle at the very start, during the setup process. You can't join once the session starts, even if there's a free spot. The host would have to disband and start a fresh session to allow latecomers in. A little annoying, but it can be worked around.

Edited by Glen-i

Here's a fun bug you might want to try out for yourself!

Wonder how many controllers you can stack this with... Either way, speedrunners gonna LOVE this! :D

• Like 1

End credits have rolled. Elite 4 defeated. Operation Starfall completed and Path of Legends done and dusted.

Spoiler

FiCH2xEakAU8oXF?format=jpg&name=large

FiCH2wiagAA7mVI?format=jpg&name=large

FiCH2wxaYAAvw78?format=jpg&name=large

Here's my team that brought home the win.

Spoiler

FiCIB2XaEAAfC_A?format=jpg&name=large

As you can see, I went a bit nuts with exp farming but it was worth it. The team had a nice mix of abilities and types and didn't really change throughout the game.

The game has a crazy amount of tech issues but it's still fun. However, I do think it's a weaker entry than both Sword/Shield and Legends. In both of those games I was compelled to complete the Pokedex because of much I loved playing them but I can't see that happening with this game. I'll maybe see what the post game has to offer and then probably call it a day. Seeing as the cash value is still £40+, I'm even quite tempted to sell it on straight away while the price is still high.

Played the game an absolute ton today. Beat the first gym and also beat two Team Star bases and one Titan.

My team has made quite a big of progress but I bailed on a gym fight when I realised it was too high levelled for me and that there might be some gyms that might be too easy for me now so I'm backtracking to take them on. Probably too late though, my team are all Level 28 and most of them have evolved... whoops!

I'm just going to spoiler all the other tweets but it includes footage of said gym battle. I do this because some of these tweets include Fueccoco's evolution:

My current team is Crocodile the Crocalor, Mouse the Pawmo, Eel the Wugtrio, Dog the Dachsbun and Giraffe the Girafarig. All Level 28.

I've been playing this game over the weekend and I love it.  I've done three gyms, two titans and one star boss.

Seems to be loads of variety of pokemon, is it the most we've ever had in a game?

This has been said a lot online but the performance is janky, visuals are a step back from Sw/Sh and it doesn't feel polished at all.  When I'm back in the house I'll use my old switch to play it docked and OC'd to see if it helps.  Some of the gameplay seems to be a step backwards from Arceus in places e.g. why no overworld catching and the crafting is now limited to TMs.  Which, in world, doesn't seem to make much sense.  How do bits of Pokemon end up being a disc?

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

Seems to be loads of variety of pokemon, is it the most we've ever had in a game?

No idea yet as I'm not spoiling that for myself. But if you're just going by regional Pokedexes, (Which Pokémon can be caught in game without transferring through HOME) then it's Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl. With 487.

EDIT: It may be Sword/Shield if you include the DLC. But the 3 Pokedexes in game have quite a few Pokémon that show up in more then one Dex and I have better things to do then to manually count every unique Pokémon in that game, so there.

If you're gonna go by how many Pokémon you'll be able to actually transfer (The National Pokédex) and use in game, then it's Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, with 809.

Scarlet/Violet ain't ever reaching National Dex numbers, as that whole notion died with Sword/Shield. In my opinion, I don't think it's gonna beat BD/SP either.

Love to be proven wrong on that last point. But I'm gonna guess it'll be 400-450.

And for the record, I never wanna see out of battle catching ever again. Completely destroys the point of battling wild Pokémon.

Edited by Glen-i

I've been doing some more raids today. I wish they had overhauled the system from Sword and Shield. There have been far too many times where the raid has been full or the connection hasn't worked out. They really need a proper lobby system where you can see the raids fill up in real time and so you don't waste time trying to get into a game that is full. It would be nice to have a search function to search for different difficulty levels and Pokemon. It could be much better than what is on offer. 

Does anyone want to be a legend and trade me a Quaxly when I start playing on Friday? Gonna pick Spriggatito but would love both in my team as I don't like the look of any of the other available water 'mons.

Figured a few of you are at the stage were you can breed now :heh: 

17 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Does anyone want to be a legend and trade me a Quaxly when I start playing on Friday? Gonna pick Spriggatito but would love both in my team as I don't like the look of any of the other available water 'mons.

Yeah, I'll sort you out.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Eddage said:

I can do that.

Can even get you a Fuecoco as well.