NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

Rtf8B9.jpg

It's like Assassin's Creed Unity all over again. 

assassins1.jpg

:D 

It's good this stuff is being called out by reviewers. Saying that, had it been a different franchise or by a publisher people don't care for, the fallout would have been much worse. 

It's crazy that it's the biggest entertainment IP in the world and yet they treat their games with a lack of care and respect. 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's crazy that it's the biggest entertainment IP in the world and yet they treat their games with a lack of care and respect. 

Why spend more money to improve when you can release shit like this and still rake in a ton of green?

It's a shame that "speak with your wallet" never works with IPs as big as this.

Yep, I'm not surprised an open world game knocked up in such a short time would have problems like this. Stuff always falls through the cracks.

But it's open world, and it's Pokémon, so it can easily get away with it.

I imagine that patch that just got dropped a few days ago probably tries to fix some of this.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, I'm not surprised an open world game knocked up in such a short time would have problems like this. Stuff always falls through the cracks.

But it's open world, and it's Pokémon, so it can easily get away with it.

I imagine that patch that just got dropped a few days ago probably tries to fix some of this.

A lot of footage and images of glitches that are floating around are people who are playing with the patch installed. 

50 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A lot of footage and images of glitches that are floating around are people who are playing with the patch installed. 

cover3.jpg

- Michael Scott

I wondered why Switch Pro was trending on Twitter again...

I don't think more powerful hardware would solve the problem though, like Glen mentioned Game Freak just aren't given enough time to iron out the kinks and it's not like they have the greatest technical team in the first place

Edited by killthenet

They need to staff up, and hire talented developers experienced in modern gaming. It's getting ridiculous now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ike said:

Strange because Legends of Arceus was fairly solid. 

I'm gonna guess you mean that in terms of performance? Because that game is proper crap.

Sword and Shield also ran fine, outside of the Wild Area when playing online, but that was down to online lag making other trainers move like an old school MMORPG.

I'm telling you, open world games mean corners have to be cut in places. Especially with a tight deadline like this had.

No, I mean with bugs/glitches.

I never had an issue with the performance though.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

No, I mean with bugs/glitches.

I never had an issue with the performance though.

Well, I can't imagine going with a new model for the human characters helped much.

Arceus clearly uses the Sword/Shield humans as a base for the playable character. So that was less work.

That said, it wasn't perfect. It was defo more buggy then Sword/Shield. I still remember the Snorlax that rocketed up for no reason.

Make the world bigger and it gets harder to catch this stuff. That's just the price you pay.

Got Violet this evening (review purposes) and went with Sprigato, the grass cat, as my wife found that cute (I did as well). Been playing for two hours. The game is a bit slow and environments are a bit bland. The movement of the main character is weird and floaty at times, and when catching Pokémon, the PokeBall doesn't always land on the ground but floats a bit above it, suggesting that the physics are a bit wonky.

Some of the Pokémon are small and hard to spot, others are fine. Items are scattered everywhere in the first couple of areas at least. 

At the moment I'm just catching one of each Pokémon I find and then battle a lot so my Sprigato is level 15 already. 

I can't find an option to have the Pokémon stay in battle without being prompted about wanting to swap it out. That's annoying! 

Overall looking forward to getting the game going with some true objectives. 

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I still remember the Snorlax that rocketed up for no reason.

Obviously its planet needed it.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I can't find an option to have the Pokémon stay in battle without being prompted about wanting to swap it out. That's annoying! 

Really? Surely, they wouldn't have removed the "Set" option?

That'd be stupid. It's the closest thing to a difficulty option left in the series!

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's nearly 3 hours past midnight. I assume @Glen-i has completed the Pokedex by now. :D 

Actually, haven't started.

My cousin, Ugh First Aid, was recently declared medically blind. She's been improving to the point where she can somewhat play some games. Mostly RPG's because of their slower pace. Or games with big UI's. (Unfortunately, HD games are notorious for having tiny UI's) So, in a attempt to help her get through her copy of Violet, (and to stop me falling asleep like with most open worlds) she and I will be playing the main story part together entirely through co-op, or as soon as it becomes available.

So, for once, you lot will probably finish before I do. Well, I say "for once", but it happened in Legends.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Actually, haven't started.

My cousin, Ugh First Aid, was recently declared medically blind. She's been improving to the point where she can somewhat play some games. Mostly RPG's because of their slower pace. Or games with big UI's. (Unfortunately, HD games are notorious for having tiny UI's) So, in a attempt to help her get through her copy of Violet, (and to stop me falling asleep like with most open worlds) she and I will be playing the main story part together entirely through co-op, or as soon as it becomes available.

So, for once, you lot will probably finish before I do. Well, I say "for once", but it happened in Legends.

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear about her. You or @Dcubed give her my best. :( 

It's great that you are holding back to play through the game with her. :peace:

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

My cousin, Ugh First Aid, was recently declared medically blind

I'm sorry to hear this. Send her my best. 

Not sure if you're aware but it might be worth checking the Games Accessibility Database to find games that she may be able to play: https://accessiblegamesdatabase.com/

• Thanks 2

Thanks guys.  Things have been very challenging these past months, but we're making progress; slowly but surely.

Hopefully she'll be able to get on well with Pokemon S/V, she's been really looking forward to it :)

They need to staff up, and hire talented developers experienced in modern gaming. It's getting ridiculous now.
Please understand, Gamefreak are just a small indie studio with a tiny budget.
  • Haha 1

Picked up the Violet version from Smyths. They gave me a little Pokemon branded bag and a Scarlet and Violet notepad as well. :D

Those who have the Nintendo expansion pass can now buy Pokemon Scarlet and Violet icons with their platinum coins. I'm shocked they added Pokemon pictures to the thing.

Yeah, the performance is pretty rough. Even in the starting area where nothing much is happening the framerate is all over the place. Also, this happened during a battle after the tutorial...

Fh2PgCbakAAssoQ?format=jpg&name=large

What QA department? :p

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Haha. Man, the reviews mentioning the bad state of the game weren't kidding. I dread to think how's things are gonna be once I actually hit the more open areas. :D

I'm really curious to see if they're going to iron out the worst performance issues, or just go oh well and work on the inevitable DLC.