NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

7 minutes ago, Dufniall said:

route 1 Rattata appears to be a pig

You didn't mention the best part: it's name!

FUKz5Q6WUAAvBcc?format=jpg&name=small

Immediately one of the best names in Pokémon :D

Edited by Julius

Just now, Jonnas said:

Lechonk?

Yes

And Smolive

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

Immediately one of the best names in Pokémon

I dunno, "Nickit" is still up there in the all-time greats.

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

Loving the box art, feels like they're making a bit more use of the space they've got! 

Helps that the cover legendaries aren't quadrupeds this time.

Anyway, I'm going with Scarlet. Koraidon looks dope!

Spoiler

koraidon.png

Is that a wheel under it's neck?

Is this thing a fricking motorcycle dragon!?

Actual 4 player exploration might help me not fall asleep in those big, empty, boring, open worlds.

No sign of catching Pokémon without initiating a battle. This is a good thing, battles were super pointless in Legends.

Edited by Glen-i

Looks like it's "truly open world" as well:

You can experience a new style of adventure, with a world that you’re free to explore at your leisure and not in an order dictated by the story. You will, of course, journey to hone your skills as a Pokémon Trainer, but many more discoveries and stories await you. Meet a variety of people and Pokémon, and adventure in the world of Pokémon the way you want to.

Pawmi absolutely looks like they've just blended the designs of Eevee and Teddiursa, and I don't know how to feel. 

11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

And Smolive

I don't think it will be a pre-evolution, but I'm definitely getting major Sunkern vibes from Smoliv (well, besides the little stumps for legs). 

Also, for the box art legendary Pokémon, Koraidon and Miraidon: besides the colours, am I the only one getting Zekrom and Reshiram vibes in terms of their designs? 

Reshiram notably has a jet engine-inspired tail, and Miraidon has two jet engines incorporated into its design, and then there's just the general physiology of the pair. Anyways, love their designs, my immediate reaction was to go for Scarlet for Koraidon, but I quite like Miraidon too. 

True open world not dictated by story is great, sneaking up on Pokémon is good fun, this game is going to be cosy as all heck in November! Seems like they're really trying to lean into version differences more than they have recently, what with the different professors, which, eh...isn't a decision I particularly like. 

Edited by Julius

Did they just ask the internet to create Pokémon names this time?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

Koraidon and Miraidon: besides the colours, am I the only one getting Zekrom and Reshiram vibes in terms of their designs? 

No, you're not. I immediately thought the same thing.

Miraidon is obviously at least part Electric. Hard to tell what Mr. Motorcycle is from that design. But I can't imagine it reusing the Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon Black and White used. That'd be kinda lame. I bet they're both Electric in part.

EDIT: Also, @Julius. Are you forgetting that Sword/Shield had version exclusive gym leaders?

Anyway, annoyed that story doesn't dictate where you go. Ironically, that will likely make me explore less. Same thing happened with BotW.

Edited by Glen-i

12 minutes ago, Ike said:

Did they just ask the internet to create Pokémon names this time?

Lechón is a pork dish popular in Spanish so Lechón + Chonk. It's at least fitting the region.

The names are silly but so is Pokémon if we're honest.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Also, @Julius. Are you forgetting that Sword/Shield had version exclusive gym leaders?

No I'm not (I mean, we've had version exclusive gym leaders before Sword/Shield in Black/White), I just think having version exclusive professors is leaning into it more than before in terms of differences that go beyond version exclusive Pokémon -- it's the starting point of your journey. And I also wasn't a fan of version exclusive gym leaders in Sword/Shield (because it was handled so much worse than it was in Black/White, which is to say they were very forgettable), so yeah I'm not surprised I'd feel that way :p

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Lechón is a pork dish popular in Spanish so Lechón + Chonk. It's at least fitting the region.

It's also a national dish of Portugal. And Cuba, and Puerto Rico, and the Philippines (ahem, who make it best, totally no bias here), though they'd been roasting pigs long before the Spanish arrived and the name just kind of got adopted (notably they use adult pigs rather than young pigs as you'd expect to see elsewhere). 

But yeah, the dish as you'd expect (based on it being a big dish pretty much everywhere they once had a presence) has origins in Spain and Portugal.

Hopefully we get to see more food puns :D

Speculations are going all over the place already. First of all looks like Koraidon is a chopper-style motorcycle (like Glen said) and Miraidon some kind of jet/spaceship. I wonder if you can ride them?

Professor Sada, based on Pasada = past
Professor Turo, based on Futuro = future
Koraidon, korai is Japanese for past
Miraidon, mirai is Japanese for future

The scarlet logo is old and the violet logo futuristic. So time/time travel seems to be a theme here.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Is this thing a fricking motorcycle dragon!?

Obligatory:

3 minutes ago, Dufniall said:

Speculations are going all over the place already. First of all looks like Koraidon is a chopper-style motorcycle (like Glen said) and Miraidon some kind of jet/spaceship. I wonder if you can ride them?

Koraidon, korai is Japanese for past
Miraidon, mirai is Japanese for future

The scarlet logo is old and the violet logo futuristic. So time/time travel seems to be a theme here.

Huh, that is interesting. I caught onto what they were doing with Miraidon's name, but not the others.

I doubt there's any real link to Black/White here, but I think it's worth pointing out that Unova's version differences also had a heavy emphasis on the past and future: one location was a city in one game but a forest in the other, and the final gym leader in Black/White is different in each version in line with focusing on the old and new. It's just curious considering the similarities in the legendaries to Reshiram and Zekrom, too. 

Having Koraidon be something like the Master Cycle Zero in BOTW and Miraidon offer a modernised version of the soaring we saw in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire would be awesome, though I'd wonder if they'd go through the trouble of having traversal methods be version exclusive? Or maybe there'll be other "lesser" and slower traversal methods in each game, for example Miraidon could be faster than the Pokémon you could soar with in Scarlet, whereas Koraidon could be faster than the Pokémon you could ride in Violet, or maybe even just limited to Key Items? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's also a national dish of Portugal. And Cuba, and Puerto Rico, and the Philippines (ahem, who make it best, totally no bias here), though they'd been roasting pigs long before the Spanish arrived and the name just kind of got adopted (notably they use adult pigs rather than young pigs as you'd expect to see elsewhere). 

The joys of colonialism comes to Pokémon.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

And I also wasn't a fan of version exclusive gym leaders in Sword/Shield (because it was handled so much worse than it was in Black/White, which is to say they were very forgettable)

That's because the Sword exclusive Gym Leaders were boring. The Shield ones were way better. We have creepy Shy Guy fan and Ice Gym Leader who pretends to be all delicate for about 5 seconds before she positively chucks her Poke Ball at you with full force!

That said, I happen to think the gen 8 gym leaders are some of the better ones in the series. Raihan taking a selfie mid battle legit had me laughing. There's loads of personality there.

I gotta say, after Sword/Shield, the battle UI is a bit of a downgrade.

E1AVVzr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

It's a bit... Basic?

Dual pack inbound:

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

I gotta say, after Sword/Shield, the battle UI is a bit of a downgrade.

E1AVVzr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

It's a bit... Basic?

Yeah, I can definitely see that, seems very pared back. Hopefully it gets worked on a bit more before launch, if I ever expected to see more flair in Pokémon UI it'd be in a game set in a region based on Spain and Portugal! 

Now that's good news. The Battle Tower theme he composed for Sword/Shield is one of the better songs on that game!

EDIT: Field music, eh? Someone at Game Freak must have heard this.

Say what you will about the games, but there's no denying the guy can whip out a banger!

Edited by Glen-i

Right, so I need to weigh in on today's reveals, and talk about Iberian representation so far:

Smoliv

I approve. Kinda weird that the olive's kernel is already removed and ready to serve (it's like, imagine a Banana Pokémon where the banana itself is already peeled and sliced), but this is good. It is smol, so I'm looking forward to seeing its evolution. I'm also curious as to why it's a Normal-type, there doesn't seem a clear reason for that.

You know who immediately capitalized on Smoliv? A Spanish Twitter account with low, low prices

FUK95SAWAAAYPtd.jpg

They tweeted that less than 10 minutes after the trailer dropped!

Lechonk

Once again, yes.

But I need to clear one misconception:

9 hours ago, Ashley said:

Lechón is a pork dish

9 hours ago, Julius said:

It's also a national dish of Portugal.

Lechón (ES) or Leitão (PT) is not a dish per se: it just refers to a piglet (or a suckling pig, whatever you will). It's just that baby pigs are delicious, and the dish is named the same as the creature. In fact, I had some today, I'm not making this up, suckling pig was literally my lunch today.

Anyway, the specific pig we see here is a Porco Preto (PT), or more simply, a Black Pig (according to Wikipedia, Black Iberian Pig), widely known in Portugal for its exquisite meat and strong flavour. Typical of Alentejo, dishes made with black pig are prestigious. I also just learned from Wikipedia that they also exist in Spain (I figured, makes sense), and are the principal ingredient of the famous Jamón Ibérico (that part I didn't quite know. No wonder it's so good). Kinda weird to just learn this, but I never felt the need to google black pigs before.

Definitely the star of the trailer, it's an excellent choice to represent Iberia, and one we natives are sure to immediately recognize.

Pawmi

It doesn't seem to reference anything in Iberia. However, there was once this brand of fizzy drink in Portugal called Champomi (marketed as non-alcoholic Champagne, for kids), and it is pronounced close enough to Pawmi that I might occasionally call it champ. That's all I got.

Also, if they were looking for it to be this gen's cute mascot, they failed: out of the 8 Pokémon revealed so far, this is the only one nobody cares about.

Professors Sada and Turo

9 hours ago, Dufniall said:

This is a weird one. "Past" (the noun) in Spanish is "Pasado" (or "Passado" in PT). The only way "Pasada" makes sense is in declining the word "past" (the adjective). For example, "The past night" becomes "La noche pasada".

They likely feminized it because the Prof is a lady, and it doesn't go any deeper than that.

I will admit that when I first saw the names, I thought of "Salada" and "Churro".

The Massive Multiplayer Online Riveting Pokémon Game experience

In Iberia, we also like to hang out with friends, doing activities we enjoy. GameFreak got that part right.

The Legendaries

I don't fucking know, man. Motorcycles do exist here. I don't know what else to tell you.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

The Legendaries

I don't fucking know, man. Motorcycles do exist here. I don't know what else to tell you.

Actually, I think I can fill this gap in.

You see, motorcycle dragons are such a good idea, that it doesn't matter whether they fit the regional setting. Sometimes, you just gotta follow through on genius... Or insanity, it's one of them.

I don't think I've liked a cover legendary as much as Koraidon since Zekrom!

I gotta draw this stupid Pokémon.

• Haha 2

@Jonnas I saw that Lidl tweet and thought "it evolves... Through death?" because that's how olive oil is made. 

Plus my Spanish friend did clarify me on the dish/piglet thing and I plead vegetarian ignorance (and disgust) 😋

@Glen-i if you do want to draw them then this tweet should help clarify the starting point:

Phallic shape and potentially motorcycles. Just how fragile is the Iberian sense of masculinity?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Lechón (ES) or Leitão (PT) is not a dish per se: it just refers to a piglet (or a suckling pig, whatever you will). It's just that baby pigs are delicious, and the dish is named the same as the creature. In fact, I had some today, I'm not making this up, suckling pig was literally my lunch today.

I'll admit ignorance here too with regards to the original definition of the word in Portuguese and Spanish, as I'm half Filipino and it's used pretty much exclusively in the Philippines as a term to refer to the dish rather than both the dish and the creature; over in the Philippines it's derived from the Spanish Léchon (we threw away the accent too because I guess we don't want to waste any time getting to the important part: the food :p) but pig is baboy and a similar word to a piglet or suckling pig is biik. So my bad! 

I do however now consider us Léchon/Leitão/Lechon brothers in arms, and that's non-negotiable :peace:

Also, thanks for the rundown, always fascinating to read about how other cultures tie in directly to the inspiration for Pokémon, especially from someone from the place rather than Wikipedia or what have you! 

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The Legendaries

This made me chuckle :laughing: I fully expect Masuda and whoever else from Game Freak visited Spain and/or Portugal all those years ago (and hopefully more recently?) to admit that their main method of transport were hired motorcycles, and just ran with it. 

Or, should I say, rode with it? 

ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif

• Like 1

Will it be a thing that the legendary with two jet engines for an anus will be another genetic 'mon like Genesect?

22 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Will it be a thing that the legendary with two jet engines for an anus will be another genetic 'mon like Genesect?

I mean, we've had jet engine Pokémon already, and they were a kind of "used to be part of one Pokémon" deal.

So... Maybe? Zekrom and Reshiram aren't man-made though.

Thanks for reminding me of Genesect Car, BTW.

8d4.gif

Gen 5 really does have some of the best Pokémon.

Edited by Glen-i