NEurope
Helmsly

3DS and Wii U eShop purchases to end March 2023

The Nintendo Switch Online news has changed my buying list a bit.  The addition of Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance to Nintendo Switch Online now means all the likely suspects for release on there have been drastically lowered on the priority list to pick up on the VC.

• Like 1

February update as we get closer and closer to the dreaded Wii U and 3DS eShop doomsday: 

Don't think I'll be getting an many games as I originally planned to (which, let's be honest, is probably good for my backlog!) but still fully intend to go through and pick up some more stuff, so I'll need to go through the stores one of these weekends and make some difficult choices about cutting games from my previous list/s. 

Think I'm going to miss the eShop music the most though :(

• Sad 2

I think I'm officially done with purchasing what I wanted from the 3DS eShop. Which means that in the past year, I got:

Physical Games

• Fire Emblem Fates (+DLC, including the other routes);
  • Mario&Luigi: Dream Team
  • Mario&Luigi: Paper Jam;
  • Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers;
  • Kid Icarus Uprising;
  • Dragon Quest VIII

VC Titles

• Wario Land 3;
  • DK Land Trilogy;
  • Kirby's Dream Land 2;
  • Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon;
  • Mega Man V;
  • Defenders of Oasis;
  • Crystal Warriors;
  • Shining Force: Sword of Hajya

Other Digital Titles

• Stella Glow;
  • Virtue's Last Reward
  • Theathrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (+20€ worth of DLC);
  • Aero Porter;
  • Fallblox;
  • Mighty Flip Champs;
  • Mighty Milky Way;
  • Ninja Battle Heroes;
  • SADAME;
  • Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D;
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV;
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse;
  • SMT: Soul Hackers;
  • SMT: Devil Survivor 2;
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Stuff I thought I was gonna get, but didn't

• Dillon's Rolling Western (Sorry, @Glen-i. Tried a bit of Dead Heat Breakers, and the gameplay didn't do much for me)
  • SMT Strange Journey Redux (I bought enough SMT to last for years. This one looked to be the most dungeon-crawly, so skipped)
  • SMT Devil Survivor 1 (See above. Also, this one was unreasonably expensive, on top of me already having the sequel)
  • Dr.Mario Miracle Cure (After purchasing several puzzle titles, I looked at this one and said "likely not worth it")
  • The DLC for SMTIV:Apocalypse and Radiant Historia (After spending so much money at once, it's easy to cut minor DLC from the list)

So yeah, how did your own hoarding backlogging year go?

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 4

The special offers on the 3DS eShop hasn't been so hot but it's cycling back to the usual suspects now. So, for one more time:

SteamWorld Dig - £1.39
SteamWorld Dig 2 - £2.99
SteamWorld Heist - £2.19
Virtues Last Reward - £3.99

Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns - £3.59
Harvest Moon: Skytree Village - £5.99
Cooking Mama: Sweet Shop - £5.99
Bayblade Evolution - £3.99

Until 27th March. Last call!

• Like 1

I'm glad they're letting you carry on the balance, especially since you couldn't pay the actual price and had to buy gift cards.

It's March guys! Has the prophecy come to fruition!?

It's happening, @bob!

The number of games on sale is steadily going up. Nothing really notable, imo, however there's Silver Falls- 3 Down Stars (£11.99) and Silver Falls- Undertakers (£2.69) that perhaps @Josh64 can vouch for or against? Severed (£2.99) is there again too which @Jonnas has recommended though it's also on Switch and I can't remember which version is preferable. There's also Swords & Soldiers but it's on Switch as well. Legend of Kusakari, anyone?

I grabbed these:
- Kid Tripp - 100% off - FREE!
- Digger Dan DX - 100% off - FREE!

Gonna have to look into the likes of Fairune (99p) to see if any of them are worth a punt. I always check into these and forget if they're decent or not by the next time they go on sale. :laughing: 

• Like 1

It's starting to get interesting.

Gunman Clive - £0.99
Gunman Clive 2 - £1.25
Shakedown: Hawaii - £4.04
Retro City Rampage - £2.39
Mighty Switch Force! - £2.69
Mighty Switch Force! 2 - £2.50
Shantae and the Pirates Curse - £7.99

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 8:44 AM, darksnowman said:

the number of games on sale is steadily going up.

Goddammit, of course this would happen just after I plunged into a bunch of full-priced purchases

14 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Shantae and the Pirates Curse - £7.99

GADDAMMNIT

Fine, I'll take the deal.

On 07/03/2023 at 8:44 AM, darksnowman said:

Severed (£2.99) is there again too which @Jonnas has recommended though it's also on Switch and I can't remember which version is preferable.

3DS version has easy stylus control, and the second screen allows you to check the map at all times while exploring. The latter aspect is something I found particularly important, because I otherwise strongly dislike first-person dungeon crawlers. Severed is excellent despite technically belonging to that genre.

Another advantage of the 3DS version: super cheap right now :grin:

• Like 1

KORG DSN-12 and KORG M01D now half price.

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

3DS version has easy stylus control, and the second screen allows you to check the map at all times while exploring. The latter aspect is something I found particularly important, because I otherwise strongly dislike first-person dungeon crawlers. Severed is excellent despite technically belonging to that genre.

Another advantage of the 3DS version: super cheap right now :grin:

Thanks for this mini-review. Not sure if I knew it's a first-person dungeon crawler. Sounds all right for £3!

Have you played SADAME yet? It was among last week's reductions and info on it is hard to come by.

There's more every time I check at the moment. These seem to be the standout additions:

80's Overdrive - 89p (this was always frequently on sale)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - £4.04

Does Shovel Knight make use of the 3D effect? If so, I kind of wish I'd waited it out rather than get it on Switch.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Thanks for this mini-review. Not sure if I knew it's a first-person dungeon crawler. Sounds all right for £3!

Didn't know either, going into it. All of the videoclips I'd seen were of battles, and none of the reviews mentioned the dungeon-crawling aspect (understandable, as the combat is the biggest highlight, really)

13 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Have you played SADAME yet? It was among last week's reductions and info on it is hard to come by.

Not yet. That's one I first heard about from browsing deals, as it looked like a nice beat'em up. I found very few reviews, but they seemed to think the game was fine. Not outstanding, but no significant flaws, either. I liked the aesthetics, though, and at that price it's easy to purchase.

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - £4.04

...I literally bought this full price a couple of weeks ago

giphy.gif

Edited by Jonnas

RPG Maker Fes - £3.99
Culdecept Revolt - £7.99
Etrian Odyssey Untold - £3.59
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - £3.49
Etrian Odyssey IV - £3.59
Persona Q - £3.59
Soul Hackers - £3.59
Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker - £3.49
Stella Glow - £3.49
Runbow Pocket - £2.19

• Like 1

This guy tried to buy every Wii U and 3DS game from their eshop's before they close, I figured some of you might find it interesting.:

https://youtu.be/ujHUMG0Uovs

I found it interesting to see some of the issues he came up against while trying to purchase everything, such as not being able to have more then $200 worth of credit in his account at any one time, certain games not unlocking the right to buy DLC until a certain percentage of the main game has been played and other issues. Aso how much memory it took up etc.

He's a mad man, but I also happy someone managed to buy everything on both platforms

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised that it only cost him around $23,000.  Would've figured that the entierty of both shops would've cost more than that.

The 300 title limit must surely be driving him nuts though :laughing:

Worth watching that purely for the ending shot. The visuals with that eShop remix is hilarious!

Today should be the last eShop update day.  I wonder if it'll bring anything interesting.

Update:  Last Thursday store update has happened.  If you like word searches you'll be happy.  If not, there's nothing worth picking up.

Edited by V. Amoleo
  • Haha 1

Right then, been a minute since I posted in this thread but I'm back to talk about how I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed my list down..and still ended up trying to exceed the eShop added funds cap that I didn't know existed, meaning that while my 3DS purchasing may be completed, my Wii U purchasing is not :p I'm actually going to have to wait until 23:15 tomorrow to add my final eShop code funds, so uhhhhhh let's hope I don't forget to get around to that!

Anyways, here's what I landed on adding to my 3DS (in addition to previous eShop purchases):

3DS 

eShop 

• BOXBOY!
  • BOXBOXBOY!
  • BYE-BYE BOXBOY!
  • Pullblox
  • Fallblox
  • Fullblox
  • Liberation Maiden
  • HarmoKnight
  • Pocket Card Jockey
  • Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
  • Weapon Shop de Omasse
  • The Starship Damrey
  • Nintendo Pocket Football Club
  • Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
  • The Legend of Kusakari
  • Nano Assault EX
  • Siesta Fiesta
  • Wakedas
  • Noitu Love: Devolution
  • Tokyo Crash Mobs
  • Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure
  • The Legend of Dark Witch
  • The Legend of Dark Witch 2
  • The Legend of Dark Witch 3: Wisdom and Lunacy

Virtual Console 

• 3D Gunstar Heroes (not technically VC I don't think, but...shush)
  • Pokémon Crystal
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Catrap
  • Defenders of Oasis
  • Shining Force: Sword of Hayja
  • Legend of the River King
  • Legend of the River King 2
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game
  • Harvest Moon GBC
  • Mole Mania
  • Dragon Crystal

In the end a much, much, much leaner list of games than I originally planned for (see my earlier post for how stupid the original plan was), but with a stupid amount of games already on my shelf and some trips planned for this year, I thought it best to go a little nuts...but not actually nuts with it. Still, glad I've picked up a bunch of games, and limiting myself to a certain budget really helped to trim the fat on my list: rather than going for just Virtual Console titles to fill up the good ol' reliable microSD (plus the recent NSO announcements around GB and GBA games meant more cutting just seemed wise, though Pokémon TCG seems like it belongs on a dedicated handheld which is why it's still made it to this point :p); I really ended up questioning what I was looking for, digging a little deeper to find some games I'd never heard of and quite fancied the looks of, and ended up with a variety of games that I'm really excited to try out over the coming years (and on a couple of long flights I would guess in the coming months!)! :peace:

I'll be back tomorrow or Monday for my short but sweet list of Wii U pick-ups once the 24 hour cooldown on adding eShop funds to my account is up :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

That's a good list, @Julius.  A lot of cross over with what I've bought or already had purchased.  Incuding Catrap which I thought would only be on my list :laughing:  I had to trim my list hard too, it still managed to get into the hundreds across the UK and Japanese eShops but I've been planning for this since it was announced.  I decided to focus on games that were native to the 3DS/DSi or Wii U, that either would be prohibitly expensive to buy physical or just unavailable.  Next was the last Fire Emblem DLC that I needed.  The remainder was used on VC games that I thought would not show up on NSO or are much more expensive to buy physically.

Just a heads up, the cool down period isn't actually 24 hours!  I hit that limit and panicked but I waited an hour or so and I was able to add more.

Here's what my list ended up being

3DS UK

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave - 3DS Exclusive
THE ''DENPA'' MEN 2: Beyond the Waves - 3DS Exclusive
THE ''DENPA'' MEN 3 The Rise of Digitoll - 3DS Exclusive
THE STARSHIP DAMREY - 3DS Exclusive, part of Guild02
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars - Comes with Wii U version
LIBERATION MAIDEN - 3DS Exclusive, part of Guild01
Hydroventure™: Spin Cycle - 3DS Exclusive
Langrisser Re:Incarnation -TENSEI- - 3DS Exclusive
Dedede’s Drum Dash Deluxe - 3DS Exclusive
BUGS vs. TANKS!™ - 3DS Exclusive, part of Guild02
Aero Porter - 3DS Exclusive, part of Guild01
3D Classics TwinBee - 3DS Exclusive and the only 3D Classics I didn't already have
3D Classics Urban Champion - 3DS Exclusive and the only 3D Classics I didn't already have
ATTACK OF THE FRIDAY MONSTERS! A TOKYO TALE - 3DS Exclusive, part of Guild02
SADAME - 3DS Exclusive, cheap and looked alright
Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D - 3DS Exclusive
Pokémon Dream Radar - 3DS Exclusive
YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: Red Cat Corps - 3DS Exclusive, physical is super expensive

3DS UK DLC

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Season Pass - Expensive but only FE DLC I was missing

DSiWare UK

Aura Aura Climber
Bomberman Blitz
Paper Plane
Boxlife
A Little Bit of… Dr. Mario
3D Space Tank
PiCOPiCT
Face Pilot
Art Style: Aquite
Art Style: Code
PictureBook Games™: The Royal Bluff
Mighty Flip Champs
Mighty Milky Way
Pinball Pulse - Made by the same guys who made Metroid Pinball!
Reflect Missile

3DS UK VC
Catrap
Adventure Island
Forified Zone
Avenging Spirit
The Sword of Hope II
QIX
Pinball: Revenge of the Gator - Probably shouldn't have gotten this one as it's NSO fodder but I really like pinball
Rayman - Ubisoft have never released anything on NSO
Toki Tori
Xtreme Sports
Recca

Wii U UK

NES™ Remix - Wii U Exclusive
NES™ Remix 2 - Wii U Exclusive
Game & Wario - Wii U Exclusive, prohibitely expensive physically
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars - via purchasing on 3DS

Wii U UK VC

Picross 3D
Super Mario 64 DS
Mario Party DS
Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
Spelunker
Hogan's Alley - Has Wiimote support
Duck Hunt - Has Wiimote support
Donkey Kong Original Edition - Has an additional level compared to the standard, not released on NSO
Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures - Unlikely to show up again because of Ms Pac-Man
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Uncharted Waters New Horizons
Nobunga's Ambition
Ogre Battle 64 Person of Lordly Caliber - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
A Shadow's Tale - Prohibitely expensive physically
Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise - Prohibitely expensive physically

3DS Japan

Medarot Girls Mission Kabuto Version - Japan Exclusive
Neko Atsume - Kitty Collector
Little Battlers eXperience W Super Custom - Japan Exclusive
Lost Heroes 2 - Japan Exclusive
Inazuma Eleven GO: Galaxy - Supernova - Japan Exclusive
Final Fantasy Anniversary - Japan Exclusive

3DS VC Japan

Zoids Densetsu
Fortified Zone 2
Nekojara Monogatari
The Sword of Hope
Pokemon Green - Likely to come to NSO JP, but I wanted the final one I was missing on 3DS.
Maru's Mission
Glory of Heracles: The Gods Began to Move - The Snap-Story

DSiWare Japan

The Tower - Japan Exclusive

Wii U VC Japan

Final Fantasy I & 2 - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
Final Fantasy IV - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
Final Fantasy V - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
Final Fantasy VI - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
The Quest of Gaia
Guyframe
Dragon Egg!
Bahamut Lagoon
The Glory of Heracles III Silence of the Gods
The Glory of Heracles IV Gift from the Gods
Lufia: The Ruins of Lore - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
Chocobo Land: A Game of Dice - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO
Albert Odyssey - Square Enix have never released anything on NSO

I really want that to be it now :laughing:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

A lot of cross over with what I've bought or already had purchased.  Incuding Catrap which I thought would only be on my list :laughing:

Honestly, that nearly got cut, but I looked at the gameplay again and it just looks so sneakily charming that I had to get it! :laughing:

Just a heads up, the cool down period isn't actually 24 hours!  I hit that limit and panicked but I waited an hour or so and I was able to add more.

Thanks for the heads-up, but just gave it a go and still no such luck unfortunately! :( Oh well, alarm is set for tonight so I'll be ready :D

Square Enix have never released anything on NSO

Don't remind them!

Also, fantastic list of games there, definitely a few I had to make the hard decision of cutting from my own list! Now just got to try to resist the urge to add more funds to get some of the games I ended up cutting... :p 

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Julius said:

I'm actually going to have to wait until 23:15 tomorrow to add my final eShop code funds, so uhhhhhh let's hope I don't forget to get around to that!

So, I've been trying to add funds for the last 20 minutes and yeah, it's a no-go. Still getting the error message about potentially exceeding the limit, so Wii U games aren't getting purchased as of this moment. 

Why would that be, I wonder? Why would I have waited over 24 hours but still not be able to add funds? Any guesses?

tumblr_m3f1h4pSuE1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Because I have one.

It's because they didn't account for Daylight Savings starting in some territories today and are probably running their servers on UTC, meaning that to the eShop right now it's 22:57 rather than 23:57.

Now to just hope that they're at least consistently inept and I'm good to wait another 18 minutes or however long to actually add funds and get those last few games, instead of actually shutting them down at midnight (which I would have to doubt is the case, considering the time in other territories right now, but you never know with Nintendo)... 

Damn it Doug Bowser, I want you to take my money, why are you making this so hard?! 

Edited by Julius

Those heathens and their damn UTC - adding funds worked at 00:15 on the spot!

Anyways, Wii U games list purchased, so that's me done:

Wii U 

eShop 

• The Swapper
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Year Walk
  • NES Remix 2
  • Tengami
  • Chasing Aurora
  • Pullblox World

VC 

• Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Advance Wars
  • Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
  • Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies

Some of those VC games will probably be coming to NSO at some point, but again, it's Nintendo: it's worth exercising reasonable doubt and just picking them up to me. Advance Wars has really nice pixel art which I'd rather experience over the remake as someone that hans't played the GBA games before, and well, Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies just seemed smart because while the first game has come to NSO's N64 offering, I can definitely see there being some more obstacles getting in the way of SotS coming to Switch (it's not impossible, just seems unlikely). Oh, and the physical version goes for a fortune now, so there's that!

Anyways, totally didn't have me stressing there for a moment Nintendo :p 

• Like 1