NEurope
Helmsly

3DS and Wii U eShop purchases to end March 2023

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

Meanwhile, I just found out some brave souls are looking to release a new 3DS game in 2022. I... hope it works out for them.

I'm sure I've come across Brave Souls while perusing the Switch eShop at some point or another. :grin: 

4 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wii-u-3ds-eshop-shutdown-exclusive-games-dlc-and-features-list-thread.553420/

This is a nice list of 3DS/Wii U eShop exclusives and games with DLC.  I don't believe it's an exhaustive list but it's the most complete one I've found so far.

That's a useful list, thanks for posting. :)

I've looked through, and while I acknowledge that there are plenty of exclusive titles which will be lost, that didn't get Switch ports etc, from both consoles, there isn't much (if anything) that I'll be scrambling over to download like I did with the Wii Virtual Console.

I have all the VC games I could want, I'm pretty sure I downloaded all the Sega 3D Classics, plus I have the physical collection which got released in the UK.

Aside from that? That's it really, the Fire Emblem Fates situation could be easily fixed with a Switch port, of course it wouldn't be exactly the same, but it could be worth doing for Nintendo, especially as that would keep interest in the series going.

Although, maybe these games are better off as console exclusives?

The moment that Nintendo releases a new console, the whole discussion will start over again, aside from whatever can reasonably be accessed on whatever the new machine will be, being that proper accounts seemingly exist now. Though I would have thought that whatever console comes out  next (if at all) would be backwards compatible with all Switch software.

I'm not too concerned going forward, I used to own a lot of Switch games, but I'm down to half of what I used to own in terms of boxed titles.

I recently took the Wii U off my desk, to make room for a Sega Saturn... I could load it up, see if the GamePad still works/has battery power etc, connect it up to the internet and see what's there, but it's not really a priority, I think soon I'll start looking at what Wii U games I have, and will likely only keep a select few.

I'm glad that my 3DS is still there, for those times when I might choose to play it, but I haven't used it much recently, despite the wealth of software available for it.

It's just not a priority for me right now... ::shrug:

Though if anyone is planning on buying some items on the eShop(s), (or not) I'd be interested to hear what is a priority for you, in this moment. :smile:

• Like 1

Jeremy Parish, Chris Kohler, and Tiny Cartridge's Eric Caoili circle like vultures over the warm corpses of Nintendo's last-generation systems, Wii U and 3DS, sharing their recommendations for the games everyone should snag before their eShops die as well.

https://retronauts.libsyn.com/retronauts-episode-449-3ds-and-wii-u-deathbed-recommendations

I've listened to this today. Recommended for anyone just wanting to reminisce about Wii U and 3DS as well as those looking for some ideas on games to get while you still can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is currently 89p.

Oddly enough, this is the only game to be newly put on sale... weird.

Pfff, not even 720p? The Wii U is a joke.
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Oddly enough, this is the only game to be newly put on sale... weird.

Various smaller games have come and gone. Theatrhythm is back on sale for anyone interested.

6 minutes ago, bob said:
1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Pfff, not even 720p? The Wii U is a joke.

89p is the price you have to pay for 3D.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I took the deal (0,99€). I wasn't planning on buying it, but... the deal was crazy enough to take.

Outside of MH, it's the only Capcom title from there that didn't make it to Switch, so that's likely the reason for the slash.

While I'm not in any real rush to pick everything up before the May deadline - my Wii U not letting me add my card means I'm fine using eShop cards and taking my time to get things by August - today I've started to have a look through the 3DS and Wii U digital libraries to start compiling my list, and hoo boy...my wallet hurts just thinking about it :p 

I started by looking through Virtual Console games, which I've finished looking through for the 3DS, and am currently sorting through the SNES library for on Wii U; I've been using the List of Virtual Console Games for 3DS (PAL) and List of Virtual Console Games for Wii U (PAL), for those curious, to spot overlaps and get a bigger picture of what I'm looking at here. The way I'm handling it for NES and SNES is that, because I know I'm more likely to want to play those on TV rather than in handheld, any games that overlap (and that I want) are getting added to my list of Wii U games, though there have been a few where I know they have 3D Classic versions (only looked at Nintendo ones so far, but I know there are some SEGA ones too)and so I'm not 100% sure on if I'll grab both or just get the 3D Classic version. A number of these are on the Nintendo Switch Online service...but I'd rather buy the game (knowing my habits it will also just make me infinitely more likely to check them out). 

In any case, I'm tracking all of this in an Excel file with game titles, eShop prices, sizes (including a conversion from blocks to Mb for 3DS titles), and I'm also prioritising the games between three tiers: 1 - Buy without hesitation, 2 - Buy with hesitation, and 3 - Sitting on the fence in hesitation (any games I have no interest in I'm just deleting from the list). Tiers 1 and 2 I'm pretty sure I'll pick up, but picking up tier 3 games largely depends on just how much my total outlay potentially comes to, which I'm sure will be fun to arrive at once I finish this exercise. I've found myself referring to Nintendo Life a whole lot as I think they've reviewed most (if not all?) of the Virtual Console releases across both platforms, which has made it very easy for me to get a quick idea on if a game would be for me or not just from brief gameplay, screenshots, their general score (most things below a 5/10 aren't getting a second glance :p) and flicking through their review. 

So far then...

Spoiler

Virtual Console

Game Boy

• Super Mario Land
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Fortified Zone
  • Mario's Picross
  • Game & Watch Gallery
  • Donkey Kong
  • Avenging Spirit
  • Gargoyle's Quest: Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • Catrap
  • Adventure Island
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus
  • Lock 'n' Chase
  • Bionic Commando
  • Kirby's Block Ball
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
  • Kirby's Dream Land 2
  • The Sword of Hope II
  • Kirby's Pinball Land
  • Kirby's Star Stacker
  • Mole Mania
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Land 2
  • Donkey Kong Land III

Game Boy Color

• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
  • Blaster Master: Enemy Below
  • Game & Watch Gallery 2
  • Rayman
  • Wario Land II
  • Toki Tori
  • Wario Land 3
  • Legend of the River King
  • Harvest Moon GBC
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • Shantae
  • Mario Tennis
  • Mario Golf
  • Pokémon Trading Card Game
  • Xtreme Sports
  • Mega Man Xtreme
  • Mega Man Xtreme 2
  • Game & Watch Gallery 3
  • Legend of the River King 2
  • Bionic Commando: Elite Forces
  • Lufia: The Legend Returns
  • Pokémon Puzzle Challenge
  • Pokémon Gold Version
  • Pokémon Silver Version
  • Pokémon Crystal Version

Game Gear

• Shinobi
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
  • Defenders of Oasis
  • Tails Adventure
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • G-LOC: Air Battle
  • Sonic Drift 2
  • Vampire: Master of Darkness

NES

• Summer Carnival '92: Recca
  • Adventure Island II
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Donkey Kong: Original Edition

eShop

Nintendo 3D Classics

• Excitebike
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • TwinBee
  • Xevious
  • Urban Champion
Spoiler

Virtual Console

NES

Kirby's Adventure
Ice Climber
Punch-Out!!
Solomon's Key
Super Mario Bros. 2
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Mario Bros.
Wrecking Crew
Balloon Fight
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Galaga
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Gradius
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Kid Icarus
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
NES Open Tournament Golf
Wario's Woods
Double Dragon
Super Dodge Ball
Ninja Gaiden
Super C
Adventure Island
Mach Rider
Adventures of Lolo
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness
Life Force
Ufouria: The Saga
Devil World
Crash 'n' the Boys: Street Challenge
S.C.A.T.
Shadow of the Ninja
Mighty Final Fight
Duck Hunt
Blaster Master
Street Gangs
Little Ninja Brothers
EarthBound Beginnings
StarTropics
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
Tecmo Bowl
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom

SNES

F-Zero
Mario's Super Picross
Super Mario World
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Metroid
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
Pilotwings
EarthBound
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Harvest Moon
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Brawl Brothers
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Contra III: The Alien Wars
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Super Mario Kart
Super Punch-Out!!
Pop'n TwinBee
Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Nobunaga's Ambition
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Natsume Championship Wrestling
Wild Guns
Breath of Fire
Axelay
Demon's Crest
Cybernator
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Don't think I'll be picking up Pokémon Silver, Gold, and Crystal - but still trying to figure out what I want to do there. I'm also trying to keep an eye on the total number of games because I know the 3DS and Wii U both have a max. number of applications (which I'm not aiming to get anywhere near!), and I also need to keep in mind that I'll likely need to expand the storage of both (which is why I'm tracking game sizes). 

Add to all of this the fact that going through this is making me consider picking up a replacement New 3DS XL (my current one is a fingerprint magnet and a special design, so I'd like to retire it) and yeah, this is going to be an interesting next few months :p think I'll try to have a finalised list of games nailed within the next few weeks! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Get Urban Champion off your wishlist!

But the 3D makes it look so much prettier

(and yes that is basically the only reason it's on there :laughing:)

Have you ever played the Pokemon Trading Card Game, @Julius? If not, you're in for a treat. I love that game to bits. Still annoys me that we never got the sequel over here. :( 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you ever played the Pokemon Trading Card Game, @Julius? If not, you're in for a treat. I love that game to bits. Still annoys me that we never got the sequel over here. :( 

Seconded, it's one of the finest Pokémon spin-offs out there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Seconded, it's one of the finest Pokémon spin-offs out there.

This is one of those rare occasions where you and I actually agree on something. :D 

• Like 1

Twinbee! Good lad, @Julius! :cool: 

I got Pokémon Yellow and Crystal when they came out on the 3DS VC (had Red and Gold) if that helps with your deliberations. Also double-dipped on Pokémon TGC. It's good stuff and definitely worth a look if you think it might be your kind of bag.

You won't go too wrong with most of those titles you've listed. :peace: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Twinbee! Good lad, @Julius! :cool: 

I got Pokémon Yellow and Crystal when they came out on the 3DS VC (had Red and Gold) if that helps with your deliberations. Also double-dipped on Pokémon TGC. It's good stuff and definitely worth a look if you think it might be your kind of bag.

You won't go too wrong with most of those titles you've listed. :peace: 

Yeah, I'd just go for Crystal in that situation, @Julius. The Suicune side story (Freeing up the Master Ball for either Entei or Raikou), animated Pokémon, choice of gender, Battle Tower, and the "Now available in the West" GS Ball event, which nets you a legit Celebi, make Gold and Silver almost redundant in that respect.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I haven't! Always been very curious about it though as I've heard and read a lot of great things, and them using the base set art definitely helps with the nostalgia :D

24 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, I'd just go for Crystal in that situation, @Julius. The Suicune side story (Freeing up the Master Ball for either Entei or Raikou), animated Pokémon, choice of gender, Battle Tower, and the "Now available in the West" GS Ball event, which nets you a legit Celebi, make Gold and Silver almost redundant in that respect.

Yeah, think you're right.

I might pick up Silver too, as before SoulSilver it was the Pokémon game I always tried my hardest to get but could never find after the Legend of Raikou special got me into Johto in a massive way.

Heck, I even picked up a GBA cart in a market in the Philippines when I was much younger with a bunch of ROMs on (too young to know what was going on with it to be honest!) which was advertised as having Silver and, well, it didn't, it was a 120-in-1 cart :( though it did give me a pretty effective crash course in NES games...not that I could beat any of them, mind you! 

I also got a fake copy of LeafGreen from the same place. Fun to figure that out for the first time when attempting to transfer the Pokémon to Diamond through Pal Park and having it corrupt the ROM save...

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9525940d46b519323405

So yeah, probably get Crystal to play and Silver just to put my younger self at ease :p

Edited by Julius

On 29/04/2022 at 6:44 PM, Julius said:

today I've started to have a look through the 3DS and Wii U digital libraries to start compiling my list, and hoo boy...my wallet hurts just thinking about it

Just now, huh? It hurts simply looking at your list!

I wish you best of luck in fulfilling whatever you can before March 2023

• Like 1

A few more Atlus and NIS America games are now on sale on the eShop until May 8th:

FRxtZluX0AAfr7A?format=jpg&name=large

FRxtZ48WUAA7Ejq?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Only Devil Survivor 2? What, do the other SMT games not exist?

*grumbles while purchasing Stella Glow*

On 03/05/2022 at 12:29 AM, Jonnas said:

Only Devil Survivor 2? What, do the other SMT games not exist?

I think I read somewhere that it might be because Deep Silver was involved with the publishing of the other games? 

Do wish it was standard for more publishers to slash prices when digital stores go down, but I guess with the renewed interest it also makes business sense to keep them where they are ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

GameXplain have questioned Nintendo again in regards to the Wii and DSi shop outages.

Two months after the Wii and DSi Shop channel outages, YouTube channel GameExplain has now reached out to Nintendo to see if it could provide any more clarification about what's going on. Unfortunately, the new statement is that it's still got "nothing to announce" about the current status of these outages. 

Worrying that it's been off for two months now and no word whether or not it's going to come back at any point. I wonder if they silently shut it all down hoping nobody would notice. :D 

• Thanks 1

Both the Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop are back available to access.

Nintendo has yet to comment on their return, or the reason for their extended absence.

As before, these stores are accessible only for existing content owners to redownload past purchases. Both stores have been closed to new purchases for some time.

Seems the DSi and Wii Shop Channels are back online.
https://www.eurogamer.net/four-months-later-nintendos-dsi-and-wii-shop-channels-are-back-online

• Like 2

A reminder from Nintendo on the key dates to remember as the eShop winds down, as well as sharing that the sale of the Fire Emblem Fates games will end one month earlier (28th February 2023) than the final purchasing date (27th March 2023):

I'm probably going to spend the next few weeks narrowing down my list a bit further before I start picking things up. Still planning on getting a lot, but there are definitely some games I feeli can give a pass. 

• Thanks 2