NEurope
Helmsly

3DS and Wii U eShop purchases to end March 2023

I wasn't sure if I should make a thread about this since it's only Nintendo America that is announcing this right now, but I have to assume that the EU eShop will follow

As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. It will also no longer be possible to download free content, including game demos. Furthermore, as this date draws closer, related services will cease to function:

• As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
  • As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847

How long will it still be possible to redownload previously purchased content in Nintendo eShop for Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems? How long will those systems still support online play?

For the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

There are still Nintendo eShop Cards at retailers that show the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS logos. What will happen to them?

• These cards will continue to be at retail while supplies last.
  • All Nintendo eShop Cards can be used to add funds to a Nintendo Account balance for use on the Nintendo Switch
  • This can be done via Nintendo eShop on the system itself.

Once it is no longer possible to purchase software in Nintendo eShop on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, many classic games for past platforms will cease to be available for purchase anywhere. Will you make classic games available to own some other way? If not, then why? Doesn't Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games by continually making them available for purchase?

• Across our Nintendo Switch Online membership plans, over 130 classic games are currently available in growing libraries for various legacy systems. The games are often enhanced with new features such as online play.
  • We think this is an effective way to make classic content easily available to a broad range of players. Within these libraries, new and longtime players can not only find games they remember or have heard about, but other fun games they might not have thought to seek out otherwise.
  • We currently have no plans to offer classic content in other ways.

Nintendo have set up a page to see your Wii U and 3DS eshop memories (stats of how many games and how long you've played them)

https://my-nintendo-3ds-wiiu-memories.nintendo.com/en-US/index.html#top

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

my stats:

FSIVXOK.png

1IRUhOp.png

I loved the Wii U but it seems I'd use it more as a way to watch netflix & amazon prime then anything else :laughing:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Related to that, Pokémon Bank will become free-to-use when the eShop goes down.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to download it at all once that happens, so make sure you have it now.

• Thanks 1

Anyway, as if my annual wall of shames weren't enough...

xOknYoX_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Mostly checks out. Big lol at Pokken being there purely because I've only played 2 fighting games on WiiU.

04njBlc_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Dear lord! That console got some mileage! Didn't realise how ham I went with FE Awakening!

The rest checks out though. Yes, even Puzzle & Dragons. The Mario one takes that long to 100%! Brutal game!

• Like 4

Sad to see. I'll certainly be picking up a few games from both services that I've yet to purchase. A lot of GBA games will be getting bought on the Wii U.

• Like 2

Damn it.  I have a huge backlog of things to pick up from here.  Was even planning on getting a Japanese Wii U to pick up some exclusives but that's a no go now.

Hopefully people start to share their final purchase lists like we all did when the Wii Shopping Channel closed down.

uc?export=view&id=1g5NT77uV2m7jogj0va5Nx

It's not what it looks like!! I started with an ice white 3DS and Mario 3D Land followed by Pullblox and I've played a decent bit of MK7 and plenty of five min bursts on 3D OutRun. Not RPGs!

But man, I had such a great time with Tomodachi Life and Fantasy Life. 

Not sure what an EO demo is doing there since I played the full games too. I demand a recount!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just writing up my list of to-purchase and now stuck trying to decide if I should risk Nintendo eventually bringing GB/GBC/GBA to NSO.  I know there were rumours of GB/GBC when we got the Expansion Pass, but hmm...

Well, it was inevitable, but still sucks to get confirmation of the closure. Looks like I picked up my Wii U at just the right time, because I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more demand for them in the coming months. 

Off the top of my head, probably the biggest things that'll be missed are going to be DLC exclusive things for games like Smash 4, the third route of Fire Emblem Fates, those smaller Kirby spin-offs, and probably any GB/GBC games which ended up locked to 3DS (Pokémon games and Link's Awakening DX). 

I'll probably also need to sit down at some point and write my list out. Even with NSO being out there, I'd like to own a lot of these classic games (even if only digitally), because if NSO is ever pulled then all of a sudden there's going to be a huge hole of Nintendo classics. I wouldn't expect that to happen for at least two generations of consoles at this point, mind (earliest point would probably be the successor of the Switch's successor), but still. At the very least, I'm pondering whether to scoop up most if not all of the Nintendo published stuff. A sale would be a kindness Ninty, that's all I'm saying :D (probably not going to happen, but you know, why not pray for one?)

After last summer's debacle with the Vita and PS3 stores shuttering and then being kicked down the road due to player demand, does this mean the Vita store is going to outlive the 3DS's? I mean, I know Vita means life, but that would be an insane outcome :p

Edited by Julius

For anyone like @V. Amoleo and @Julius who is planning to scoop up some eShop games in the next year, don't overlook Nintendo Pocket Football Club and Pocket Card Jockey

I was just thinking last night that I should stump up for some VC games on 3DS to save me from the whims of my NSO sub so the timing is eerie. Fingers crossed for a massive closing down sale!

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Related to that, Pokémon Bank will become free-to-use when the eShop goes down.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to download it at all once that happens, so make sure you have it now.

Is it compatible with Yellow and Crystal? I probs won't ever want to transfer anything out of those games... but... you just never know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Is it compatible with Yellow and Crystal? I probs won't ever want to transfer anything out of those games... but... you just never know. 

Yes. Assuming you're talking about the Virtual Console versions.

Bank comes with a separate app called Poké Transporter. It lets you transfer Pokémon from the DS Gen 5 games, and the Virtual Console versions of Gen 1 and 2.

Be aware though, it's a one way trip. Once you put something in Bank, you can't put it back in the Virtual Console games.

• Thanks 1

Very sad news.  I mean, we all knew it would happen eventually, but it's still very sad to actually see happen...

Q: Once it is no longer possible to purchase software in Nintendo eShop on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, many classic games for past platforms will cease to be available for purchase anywhere. Will you make classic games available to own some other way? If not, then why? Doesn’t Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games by continually making them available for purchase?

A: Across our Nintendo Switch Online membership plans, over 130 classic games are currently available in growing libraries for various legacy systems. The games are often enhanced with new features such as online play.

We think this is an effective way to make classic content easily available to a broad range of players. Within these libraries, new and longtime players can not only find games they remember or have heard about, but other fun games they might not have thought to seek out otherwise.

We currently have no plans to offer classic content in other ways.

This is a terrible answer though and whoever wrote it should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.  They're openly admitting that NSO is a poor substitute for Virtual Console and aren't even trying to appease its loss.

Also gives the impression that GB/GBA/DS/Wii games wont be coming to Switch or any future Nintendo platform for a very long time if ever...

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

Just writing up my list of to-purchase and now stuck trying to decide if I should risk Nintendo eventually bringing GB/GBC/GBA to NSO.  I know there were rumours of GB/GBC when we got the Expansion Pass, but hmm...

Given that NOA just said that they're probably not coming any time soon? Get them NOW while you can!  Don't assume anything with Nintendo when it comes to classic re-releases.

Oh, speaking of which... @Hero-of-Time Make sure that you get Fire Emblem Revelations NOW before it's gone; because otherwise the incredibly rare and ludicrously expensive Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition cartridge will be your only option to play it!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Nice going there with Theatrhythm FF Curtain Call. :cool:

My fourth most played is Streetpass Mii Plaza then coming in at five is the first Theatrhythm. It was great fun!

• Thanks 1

@Dcubed I already own that FE cart. Still sealed as well and I imagine it will skyrocket in value after the closure of the store. Yeah, I always intended to download the final part of the story as I had no intention of opening the sealed game.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Hoo boy.

This really sucks. Like, they've totally reversed their attitude to virtual console now. I don't want to pay their 30+ quid annual sub just to play some VC games now.

It really reinforces my earlier point that getting a couple of games a month on this subscription is going to be so slow - it'd take decades to get anything close to a decent catalogue.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

And this is why the whole move to digital games is a bad idea. I know you can still play all the games you have already bought, but the fact is digital is starting to be the desired mode. Even worse is some games are being released as "cloud" games meaning when they get taken down you can't even play the game you paid for.

I will always take a physical game over a digital one. that was I have the item I paid for. It's similar to all the streaming sites now. You pay your fee but they decide what you can watch when they decide they no longer want that program on their service (or lose the rights). I know it's slightly different but I feel it is a similar thing.

Maybe I've got it all wrong in the way I see it but it won't be long before a games company goes full digital only games and cloud based gaming, then what happens? Do you even own the games you purchase that are cloud based? All that money you pay for them when the service goes, you won't get that money back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm genuinely surprised I have any stats at all. I don't even remember owning a Wii U.45cc07775e0d579bda7617269d077c97.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Also gives the impression that GB/GBA/DS/Wii games wont be coming to Switch or any future Nintendo platform for a very long time if ever...

I wouldn't be surprised if GB and GBC end up squeezed in on NSO by the time the Switch's successor has landed, but anything beyond that I think would be saved for NSO once the Switch's successor arrives. And I'd still expect notable absentees on there, like Pokémon. 

It is a bit worrying that my immediate thought is that GBA/GC and onwards could end up exclusive to NSO on the Switch's successor, kind of like how the original 3DS bit the dust when it came to Virtual Console and SNES games were exclusive to New 3DS, though. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

And this is why the whole move to digital games is a bad idea. I know you can still play all the games you have already bought, but the fact is digital is starting to be the desired mode. Even worse is some games are being released as "cloud" games meaning when they get taken down you can't even play the game you paid for.

I will always take a physical game over a digital one. that was I have the item I paid for. It's similar to all the streaming sites now. You pay your fee but they decide what you can watch when they decide they no longer want that program on their service (or lose the rights). I know it's slightly different but I feel it is a similar thing.

Digital is great for games that would otherwise have no chance at a physical release.  But yeah, they can't replace physical completely.

31 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Maybe I've got it all wrong in the way I see it but it won't be long before a games company goes full digital only games and cloud based gaming, then what happens? Do you even own the games you purchase that are cloud based? All that money you pay for them when the service goes, you won't get that money back.

We're about to find out with Google Stadia... :p

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helmsly said:

my stats:

FSIVXOK.png

1IRUhOp.png

I loved the Wii U but it seems I'd use it more as a way to watch netflix & amazon prime then anything else :laughing:

I see Uncle Scrooge there! If ever there was a game I wanted to come to 3DS and now Switch, it's DuckTales: Remastered. :love: 

36 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Hoo boy.

This really sucks. Like, they've totally reversed their attitude to virtual console now. I don't want to pay their 30+ quid annual sub just to play some VC games now.

It really reinforces my earlier point that getting a couple of games a month on this subscription is going to be so slow - it'd take decades to get anything close to a decent catalogue.

It's not ideal at the moment, is it? I think companies opting to put their back catalogue on the Switch eShop has put a dampener on what Nintendo can get for NSO. On the bright side, I can fire up the Castlevania games without an NSO sub so it's swings and roundabouts. 

30 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Yeah, totally. Digital is all well and good (getting your purchase instantly, not having to allocate shelf space for game cases, would LostWinds have existed otherwise?) but when these virtual stores shut up shop it makes us all stop and take stock, doesn't it? It was a bummer when it happened on Wii and DSi too. :( 

26 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm genuinely surprised I have any stats at all. I don't even remember owning a Wii U.45cc07775e0d579bda7617269d077c97.jpg

They got you hook, line and sinker for that adventurous party action. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Given that NOA just said that they're probably not coming any time soon? Get them NOW while you can!  Don't assume anything with Nintendo when it comes to classic re-releases.

I had totally missed this, so thanks.  VC games will have to be added to my list.

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

For anyone like @V. Amoleo and @Julius who is planning to scoop up some eShop games in the next year, don't overlook Nintendo Pocket Football Club and Pocket Card Jockey

I was just thinking last night that I should stump up for some VC games on 3DS to save me from the whims of my NSO sub so the timing is eerie. Fingers crossed for a massive closing down sale!

Thanks for those two recommendations, already have those.  They're great.

Yes Pokemon Bank is compatible with the VC releases of Yellow and Crystal.

Is there any standout DLC that's about to lost to the mists of time?

9 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

Is there any standout DLC that's about to lost to the mists of time?

In terms of pure DLC? Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations can only be bought via DLC unless you own the single rarest and most expensive 3DS game cartridge in existence.

The NSMB 2 DLC is also the best part of the whole game.  Theatrhythm Curtain Call also has a buttload of DLC with perhaps the best songs available.

There's loads more, but those should be your priority I reckon.

As for digital only games? Absolutely tons.  Basically every Atlus game on 3DS was digital only here in Europe; while basically every single Nintendo published eShop game is well worth owning (but ESPECIALLY Pocket Card Jockey!).  Then you have Ace Attorney Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice (digital only outside of Japan); NES Remix 1 & 2, the list goes on and on!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

I definitely used to play online games a lot more. Probably because there wasn't an extra cost. I'm surprised my two playthroughs of Wind Waker (one 100%) don't make it reach the top three.

FLtAZJUWUAAXNDQ?format=jpg&name=large

For the 3DS, a lot less time played overall. Interestingly, Smash 3DS and Triforce Heroes are both games I reviewed. 

FLtAYk0XEAMmzwb?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1