NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Will

Formula 1: 2022 Season

After the end of last season, I've found it quite hard to must any enthusiasm for F1 over the break. However, new cars are being launched and honestly, I think these new cars look really awesome. A change in the rules like this usually shakes things up and I'm now starting to look forward to things getting started.

As usual, here are the season details:

Spoiler

23rd-25th February - Spain Pre-Season Track Session
10th-12th March - Bahrain Pre-Season Test

Spoiler

Mercedes
 - [44] Lewis Hamilton 
 - [63] George Russell 

Red Bull Racing
 - [1] Max Verstappen
 - [11] Sergio Perez

Ferrari
 - [16] Charles Leclerc
 - [55] Carlos Sainz

McLaren
 - [3] Daniel Ricciardo
 - [4] Lando Norris

Alpine
 - [14] Fernando Alonso
 - [31] Esteban Ocon 

AlphaTauri
 - [10] Pierre Gasly
 - [22] Yuki Tsunoda

Aston Martin
 - [5] Sebastien Vettel
 - [18] Lance Stroll

Williams
 - [6] Nicholas Latifi
 - [23] Alexander Albon

Alfa Romeo
 - [77] Valtteri Bottas
 - [99] Antonio Giovinazzi

Haas F1 Team
 - [9] Nikita Mazepan
 - [47] Mick Schumacher

Spoiler

20th March - Bahrain
27th March - Saudi Arabia
10th April - Australia
24th April - Italy (Imola)
8th May - USA (Miami)
22nd May - Spain
29th May - Monaco
12th June - Azerbaijan
19th June - Canada
3rd July - Great Britain
10th July - Austria
24th July - France
31st July - Hungary
28th August - Belgium
4th September - Netherlands
11th September - Italy (Monza)
25th September - Russia
23rd October - USA (Circuit of the Americas)
30th October - Mexico
13th November - Brazil
20th November - Abu Dhabi

Last there were some things I was looking forward to, not all of them came to pass but they were:

Hamilton becoming the (statistically) outright greatest of all time. I’m not a fan but glad he’s the one doing it.
Well, this one didn't work out. Were it not for people making up rules as they go along he would have though. As I said, I'm still pretty upset about the whole thing.

The return of Alonso, my all time favourite driver. With the progress of Renault/Alpine I can see him winning a race this year.
Definitely turned out to be a good return and had things played out a little differently he might have won something. The team won though and hopefully they continue the good progress in 2022.

McLaren continuing their good form and Ricciardo maybe getting back on the top of the podium.
This one happened! Hope this type of performance continues this year too.

More random things happening due to the ongoing pandemic situation. Of course with the avoidance of any harm to people.
I don't think much random did happen in the end?

Schumacher in F1 and hopefully doing well.
Kind of a decent start, hopefully he can progress more this year.

Mazepan hopefully being gone soon.
Not yet, unfortunately.

More great stuff from Russell and the deserved promotion to Mercedes for 2022.
He's there and ready to win!

For 2022 I'm going to be looking out for a few things:

• Lots of winners! I can see Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Alpine all taking wins, others could too if we get some chaos.
  • A new world champion. I'm hoping Red Bull can't really compete and the new rules see other teams move closer to the front. I'll mostly be supporting Russell but wouldn't mind any of the Ferrari or McLaren guys taking it.
  • Albon being rubbish.
  • No run away best car. This one might be more hope, but with a bit of luck these rules work and there isn't a Brawn style loophole discovered by somebody.

How about you guys? Anything you're particularly looking forward to?

Can't wait to see if these new cars make any difference, and if they do, how much of a gap will teams have over others at the start of the season. Will any teams have found a spec that just works and then outdoes the rest of the field. and will the rest be able to catch up. 

All I really hope is that the FIA sorted out the fiasco that happened at the end of last season, whether is was the right way or not to run that race (it was not) the sport has taken a hit and became a joke at the end of last season. they need to make sure this never happens again and they can promise that those involved have been reprimanded over it. Everyone says that the championship is won over the season and not just one race, but lets face it, that was one race that caused the controversy that we all got.

I'm hoping for more close racing and not just the top two drivers of the top two teams. I want to see 4 guys in it at the end of the season all fighting for the championship. 

Who am I kidding, I want Hamilton to come out and dominate, showing the world he really is the top guy on the grid and Max only won by a technicality.

Shame no one is allowed to show any pre-season testing on TV, but I'm sure we'll get some videos coming out. Roll on March and the new season.

Totally agree that they need to get all of this debacle sorted out properly. Seems fairly obvious to me that they need a permanent stewarding team and a set of consistent rules for them to apply. I actually don’t really get how they’ve managed to make such a mess over it in recent years.

33 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Shame no one is allowed to show any pre-season testing on TV, but I'm sure we'll get some videos coming out. Roll on March and the new season.

As I understand it it’s only the first test that won’t have coverage (although I think they will be releasing footage at the end of each day), the second test will be shown as usual.

The points for shortened races totally make sense, they should have done that years ago. I’m still convinced that had Hamilton been starting ahead of Verstappen in Spa last year they would not have done those two parade laps and awarded half points for it.

The sprint race thing I’m a bit torn on. I’m glad they’re back and giving them more weight, but I still feel they could be much more interesting.

So it seems all the new cars have been shown now and there are a few leaked videos coming out of on track testing. What I've been liking so far is that most of the cars are not carbon copies of each other. Some very different designs coming out.

Testing in Bahrain has already bought us the first moan from Horner and RedBull of the season. They having a moan about the Mercs new side pods, or lack of them. 

3 hours ago, Will said:

I made a fantasy league for anyone interested here.

I'll probably join again, but did anyone get the results of our last years one? I forgot to look at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I'll probably join again, but did anyone get the results of our last years one? I forgot to look at the end of the season.

I remember looking at it towards the end of the season and I know that I definitely did terribly. It doesn’t look like they keep the results as the link no longer works. I’ll aim to keep up with it a bit better this year so we don’t lose the results.

• Thanks 1

I know it was only the first race, but that was such an amazing finish. You really cant't write anything off till they all cross the line. 

Ferrari look great, Marc seems to be getting there, RedBull weren't as dominant as most thought (and that was just too funny what happened) but still right up there. Hope this is another good season.

Really enjoyable race today. Good battles and nice to see Ferrari on top again. Mercedes were pretty luck to get where they did, reckon they’ll be behind for a fair while but will be rapid towards the end of the season when they figure the car out. Based on that race this year is shaping up to be a good one.

Can't believe I woke up early for the Qualifying :D 
Will wake up even earlier for the race tomorrow :o 

Ferrari and Charles especially, are really pulling out a huge lead this early on in the season. Second DNF for Max is the main reason for that margin though. George Russell being 2nd in the standings just shows how consistent he has been in a car that is clearly 3rd quickest.

Guess we just have to hope the short break before the European rounds of races can see some improvements to the teams that may help close the gaps.

Good race and the new cars are showing they really are great at following. Great to see Charles doing well. good to see Merc a bit better this race but clearly do still need to get a bit more done, and if they can get their cars sorted we could be in for some great 3 team racing the second half of the season.

Great race for Russel, he did get lucky with the safety car for his pit then, but ok full advantage of it.

That was epic, one of the best F1 races I've watched. Seeing Leclerc, Perez and Hamilton all fighting up front and swapping places was great near the end.

Great race indeed. Would have loved to have seen what Hamilton would have done without the SC coming out, as it seemed like a potential win was on the cards. On the other hand we go an amazing bunch of laps with 3-4 cars fighting for position,

Just had to say well done George for that amazing qualifying session. Mercedes are starting to look like they are getting closer to the top two each week. Great race pace and now some really good one lap times too. It's going to be a good race tomorrow.

It's crazy how easy this title race is for Max right now, Merc's aren't quite there yet on raw pace, but the Ferrari strategy team needs sacking, it was clear the hard tyre wasn't working yet they put race leader LeClerc on it anyway and we saw how that went. 3 wins clear now with 9 remaining, if it wasn't obvious already, Max is going to be a back to back World Champion (Despite how he won it last season)

Edited by Emerald Emblem
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this