NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Reviving the N-E Mario Kart League

So, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Pass was revealed, which over the next 2 years (almost), will add a further 48 tracks to the already existing 48 tracks, taking the total to a mammoth 96 tracks!

There's no disputing that it's totally worth the £23, but a few people (mostly people who own the WiiU original) have stated that they're tempted to get a copy of the DX version now.

So, I'm thinking it's the right time to consider bringing back the N-E League. But before I jump the gun and fall flat on my face, I want to guage interest first.

So, to everyone who's getting the MK8 Booster Pass, there's a few questions I would like feedback on, so I have an idea of how to handle this. But just in case, a quick reminder of how it works:

Simply put, the League is a structured way to organise a weekly get-together to play some Mario Kart. Before it was discontinued, we'd generally play 12 races each week, while I kept track of how everyone performs. At the end of the season, I'd take everyone's average scores and declare a winner.

To keep things interesting, I would periodically impose "theme nights" where everyone would be restricted to a specific character and vehicle setup, as well as the tracks in play. Sometimes, I'd throw in Battle Mode, or maybe enforce Mirror Mode, whatever took my fancy. (Or whatever suggestions I got from other people)

So with that out of the way...

1. Would you be interested in taking part?

Simple enough, really. But when I say "taking part" I generally mean regular attendance. I discount any scores from people who participated in less then 50% of League Nights at the end of a season to discourage people coming in one week, winning, and then buggering off so their average remains high.

2. What day and time works best for you?

Let's face it, adult life sucks, but it can't be avoided. For this reason, it's very unlikely that everyone will be available at the same time each week, not to mention those pesky unforeseen circumstances getting in the way.

With that in mind, what day of the week works for you? And what time would you be available? Due to my circumstances, I'm only able to organise this on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. So I'd appreciate it if you chose one of those days, as well as a time. I can't please everyone, but hopefully most of us can figure out a day that works.

3. Do you want scores to be tracked?

I remember a couple of people stating that they weren't exactly keen on having their performance kept track of. It's a valid point, so if the League were to come back, would you prefer it if I didn't keep track of everyone's scores and kept it very casual? Or do you think the existing format would help to encourage people to stick around?

4. Should Theme Nights be bought back?

The main idea behind Theme Nights is that it helps keep track diversity going, while also putting everyone on a level playing field by making everyone use the same character/vehicle setup. But maybe you don't like some despot declaring restrictions from his lofty perch and just want to use what you like?

Or maybe you like the idea of having tracks be predetermined to keep a healthy rotation going, but don't like being told that you have to use Waluigi on a bike? Or the other way round? Or maybe you just want to curtail me into only mixing up what cc we play with? Let me know.

-----------------

I think that just about covers everything I want to know. But if you have any other questions, don't be shy, I'd like to hear them.

• Thanks 2

1) Yes

2) Sunday until Wednesday would work for me. Thursday I have band practice and Friday/Saturday I want to keep open for going out/TV night/movie night. So I think for me it ends here! But I'm just going to answer the other questions as well. ;)

3) As someone who always dangled at the bottom when I was still participating, I didn't mind the keeping of scores.

4) Yes

• Thanks 1

As always, id be interested if it was just a hangout session rather than a league. I have no interest in things like point scoring, deductions and attendance records. If it was an evening where  we all met up and casually played the game, then I'd certainly consider it.

• Thanks 2

I would participate, but cannot due to time constraints.

• Sad 1

Yes. Now that I've established that the cost is £22.99 for all the DLC, this is something I will likely buy and renew my Nintendo Switch Online subscription for.

Thursdays I can make, if it's at 8pm and if the session lasts the usual 45 mins - an hour. After that, it's a case of "Got to go, time for PSO" as that's the only game I'm regularly still playing each week... yes, this means that my GameCube gets more online play time than the Switch, or any other console currently. :D

I can also attend Friday or Saturday as well though, so whatever works best for everyone.

I'm not bothered about the scores, and I appreciate that a lot of energy goes into keeping score etc... but if not many people are bothered about the scores, it might be best to just have this as a "N-E one for Mario Kart?" night or something, rather than it being a league. Or still keep score if you want, I don't mind either way.

Theme nights, is as far as, specific tracks and characters yes, but on those theme nights when you have to "choose" a bike over a kart, I'd be less inclined to play, as it's just not enjoyable for me personally. I have tried to play using the bikes on these nights, I can use some of them, but certain bikes, with certain tyre setups etc just feel 'broken' to me. If they are supposed to handle like that, fair enough... but I prefer the karts.

Yes. 

As my working hours are specific, whatever the decision is I will miss some of the nights.

Yes, it is about time I start finishing in the TOP 10.

Yes, I liked that a lot, even if I am not very good at it :D.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As always, id be interested if it was just a hangout session rather than a league. I have no interest in things like point scoring, deductions and attendance records. If it was an evening where  we all met up and casually played the game, then I'd certainly consider it.

Theoretically, if I were to just ditch the scoring system and keep it casual, would you be OK with a theme night popping up now and again?

Not every week, mind. But with 56 tracks available once this DLC gets going, it can be easy for certain less popular tracks to get ignored.

It would also be a way for me to spice things up with the occasional Battle Mode, or 200cc, or even Frantic Items.

While I'm at it, @S.C.G. If I'm understanding right, you're fine with the tracks being set in advance for Theme Nights, but it's when vehicles are restricted, that you start to have problems? Because I can certainly consider just choosing tracks and the cc format.

Edited by Glen-i

I'll join again whenever I get my controllers fixed and subscription renewed, whenever that is.

I was practically last ever time I joined, so I don't care much for the scoring system. I'm with HoT on that one.

Not sure if I have a strong preference for day/ time, I think the original works fine.

I'm not super fond of themes either, once in a while it's fine, but I prefer to be able to choose whatever. It's also a hassle having to look up what tracks are chosen.

Instead of "themes", perhaps it's best to alternate between games? Make the theme simply a game, because Smash is on the day/time of the original MK league is it not? This will make it more varied. You have Strikers and Sports coming out this year too. Plenty of games to choose.

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

While I'm at it, @S.C.G. If I'm understanding right, you're fine with the tracks being set in advance for Theme Nights, but it's when vehicles are restricted, that you start to have problems? Because I can certainly consider just choosing tracks and the cc format.

Yes, I'm fine with the tracks being set out, but when it comes to vehicle restrictions, such as the Bikes Only nights, in particular the one with the slick tyres etc... (I know that was the point, as it's meant to be a terrible theme, but still) :p that's when it stops being fun. And when the fun stops, it's best to stop playing at that point. :) If there are no vehicle restrictions though, then no worries. :peace:

Well, I remain unsubscribed to NSO and it's probably going to stay that way to be honest, so I'm out.

I do hope there is enough interest in getting this up and running again though, as it's a great little N-E tradition that deserves to continue. Plus, I want it to still be a thing for when the next Mario Kart game gets released so I can join again then. ;)

BTW, if it does get revived @Glen-i, and you need a new logo then give us a shout. :)

• Thanks 3

I think @Glen-i might know my answers.

1. YES YES YES

2. I have evenings free with my job so any day is fine by me, the previous 8pm starts was perfect time.

3. I loved the scores being tracked and how they were done, making it fair for everyone, however I see some people just want an evening of Mario Kart without it being a league, I'm perfectly fine with both. I just wanna get back to throwing shells at people.

4. I have no issues with them being bought in occasionally to spice things up. It does allow for lesser picked tracks to get used. I think I can recall certain tracks never getting picked. If people aren't keen on certain things, such as bikes, then maybe theme night will be battle night instead.

I did enjoy Thursdays being games night from 8pm to usually around 11 with Smash afterwards. Smash in on a Saturday now so maybe we can combine this again and try to make a NE games night similar to that. And with interest in other online games such as Strikers ic could be fun to get a weekend of gaming.

Yes.

Considering how long I've been part of N-E now, it's time to show you all that I'm bang average at Mario Kart :p

I'm free most nights these days other than Friday and Saturday, so out of the days you mentioned, my preference would be Thursday. @S.C.G suggested 20:00, and that would be fine with me! 

No. I'll elaborate. 

As others have mentioned, I really do appreciate the energy I've seen put into keeping track of and scoring things as has been the case before, but I personally found it a bit intimidating before when I thought about joining up and that there was a scoring system, etc., and thought it put a bit more pressure on turning up all of the time.

To be clear though, it's not something I ever voiced, so the burden of that lies with me for not suggesting it -- it's just a bit tough to gauge from the outside looking in just how seriously things are being taken when there are points involved and how it would be received to suggest a more casual approach, which was my only reason for never bringing it up before. 

Like @Hero-of-Time, if this is a bit more of a casual get-together I'll definitely be interested, and I think it will also make it much more enticing and accessible for people to pop in and join. 

4. Should Theme Nights be bought back?

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I'd agree with your suggestion and how Sam responded to this one -- Theme Nights could be great to get some variety in with tracks and different cc formats, but limiting vehicles could inhibit a more casual approach to things that I think a fair few have voiced wanting. 

But yeah, those are my thoughts :peace:

• Thanks 2

Oh hell yes! I’ve managed to take part about twice in the last however many years due to the time difference but now I’m back in the UK I am totally up for this!

Pretty much any day! As long as it’s somewhat regular I can make it work. Of the three choices given Thursday is probably easiest.

Yes. I’d still join in if they aren’t but having it mean something over a longer period of time makes it much more compelling for me,

Sure thing. Always fun to add some constraints into events.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Julius said:

it's just a bit tough to gauge from the outside looking in just how seriously things are being taken when there are points involved and how it would be received to suggest a more casual approach,

I get that, to be honest I don't think a single one of us took it seriously though. At the end of the day it was nice to have a running tally in the scores, but it really was just a fun evening of playing MK. I don't think you can try to take it too seriously when you could be winning a race only to be Mario Karted on the finish line and end last 😂 

• Thanks 1

It's pretty crazy that the N-E MK League has been a thing for around 15 years now! :eek: And that 8 of those have been on MK8/MK8DX:

3VgHOtb.jpg

:hehe:

Spoiler

RtNwyG9.png

ievnFwz.gif

rYvKNdG.jpg

:laughing:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

It's really difficult for me to attend, what with rotating shift patterns weekly and weekend working (Which should be ending mid-March, but who knows at this point.)

Yes. 

2. What day and time work best for you?
Might inevitably miss some weeks but I imagine I'll be able to set aside the time on a consistent basis. If I could vote for a preference it'd be Saturday morning (or afternoon). 

Don't mind. I haven't played a lot of MK8D so my days in mid-table mediocrity could be behind me. More likely than not I'll be battling it out with @Julius for bottom spot. :grin: 

Yes, sure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Yes. 

2. What day and time work best for you?
Might inevitably miss some weeks but I imagine I'll be able to set aside the time on a consistent basis. If I could vote for a preference it'd be Saturday morning (or afternoon). 

Don't mind. I haven't played a lot of MK8D so my days in mid-table mediocrity could be behind me. More likely than not I'll be battling it out with @Julius for bottom spot. :grin: 

Yes, sure. 

Nope, the bottom one is reserved for me :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kounan said:

Nope, the bottom one is reserved for me :D

It's looking like a three-way tussle at least. :blank: I'm definitely not prepared for this. 

• Haha 1

Right, it's been a week. So I'm gonna give a rundown of the consensus here.

Day and Time

Totting up the specifics of which day people have said they are free, 1 person said Thursday is the only one they can make, another said they'd prefer Thursday, and another said Saturday morning/afternoon. Everyone else didn't specify a day, so I'll take that as they don't mind when it happens.

So the original time of Thursday at 8pm seems like the way to go here. It's not perfect, but it's the time that gets the most people in, and having as full a room as possible is my priority.

Score Tracking

3 people have stated they would prefer this to just be a casual get together where scores aren't tracked, while 2 people said they'd prefer the opposite. Everyone else stated no preference. So, as far as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe goes, I won't keep scores.

Theme Nights

Reading back on all the posts, the only aspect of this some people have issues with is the vehicle restriction. Fair enough, some of them have wildly different ways of handling, and as much as I enjoy having everyone use the absolute worst setup possible, I'll have to relent this time.

That's not to say I'm ditching Theme Nights wholesale, but I'll only be dictating tracks and cc format here. And I'll be doing it every 3 weeks or so. Should get some less popular picks played now and again that way.

I'm wondering if people would be OK with the actual character being restricted as well? It doesn't affect stats too much, and it is funny seeing everyone use the same character.

Anyway, the Booster Pass will drop on the 18th of March. That's a Friday... It'd be a massive shame if we didn't play the new tracks on the day it released. So, even though I just said that Thursday would be the day we set, I'm sure it'll be fine if I set the first session on a Friday to coincide with the Booster Pass.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll make a new thread a week before we start. See you then!

• Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'm wondering if people would be OK with the actual character being restricted as well? It doesn't affect stats too much, and it is funny seeing everyone use the same character.

Fine by me. I know world records are set by certain Kart combinations, but in all honesty Ive never seen a difference in handling on set up except for when you do "worst theme ever" those setups handle like the Titanic.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this