N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Sports

Julius

9 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I was sceptical too, but I've managed to get a good 50 hours out of it so far. 

Almost all of this time has been spent on Bowling and Golf, which are both superb. Volleyball and Badminton are great too. Barely touched the other 3 sports, and Tennis is really, really bad compared to the Wii game, but maybe I just can't my head around the controls this time. 

The way the online is integrated is great, much better and more rewarding experience than just playing the CPU every time. It has a nice levelling system. 

I read a while ago that it appeared some of the items that were obtainable were only available for a limited time. Was this true/still happening? I hate GaaS like things like this that force players to play at certain times in order to get certain things. If the items are available all the time once they arrive then that's fine by me. It's another reason why I held off from buying it. If it was/still is a thing, feels like a punishment for those who jump into the game at a later date.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I read a while ago that it appeared some of the items that were obtainable were only available for a limited time. Was this true/still happening? I hate GaaS like things like this that force players to play at certain times in order to get certain things. If the items are available all the time once they arrive then that's fine by me. It's another reason why I held off from buying it. If it was/still is a thing, feels like a punishment for those who jump into the game at a later date.

No, you can still get the old stuff. Once you've got all the available items for that week, you'll get a random week from the back catalogue that you can go for. 

1 minute ago, Nicktendo said:

No, you can still get the old stuff. Once you've got all the available items for that week, you'll get a random week from the back catalogue that you can go for. 

That's great to hear. Hmmm....I'm now pretty tempted by it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've still yet to pick it up. I keep being tempted by it but then I'm also wondering if I would get a lot of play time out of it. It still seems to be pretty bare bones when compared to Wii Sports Resort and I imagine that the addition of Basketball will probably be the last update it gets, what with the next console looming.

As a fan of Wii Sports? Honestly? Switch Sports left me feeling cold.  The local multiplayer feels like a total afterthought (along with poor splitscreen perfomance), with online being the focus; blasphemy as far as I’m concerned.

There is virtually no single player content to speak of, and some sports (like Volleyball) are outright bad; so bad that they were significantly redesigned post launch.  The vibes are all off, it feels like a knockoff product made by Namco; rather than a proper Nintendo EPD game.  With a weird, almost competitive esports vibe, that just doesn’t feel right.  Music sucks too, nothing memorable at all.  And good lord do I hate the Sportsmates, with their dead, soulless eyes and gormless faces; and unfortunately the Mii support is totally half arsed (you can’t even use any of the unlockable costumes with the Miis; making the costume feature completely useless for me).  Not to mention that the game was initially released outright unfinished, with an entire sport missing, and core features just… not there.

One of the most disappointing first party Nintendo games in the Switch library as far as I’m concerned.  I was shocked to find out that it wasn’t outsourced, it just doesn’t feel like a proper internally developed Nintendo game at all.  Very rough and unpolished feeling.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

As a fan of Wii Sports? Honestly? Switch Sports left me feeling cold.  The local multiplayer feels like a total afterthought (along with poor splitscreen perfomance), with online being the focus; blasphemy as far as I’m concerned.

There is virtually no single player content to speak of, and some sports (like Volleyball) are outright bad; so bad that they were significantly redesigned post launch.  The vibes are all off, it feels like a knockoff product made by Namco; rather than a proper Nintendo EPD game.  With a weird, almost competitive esports vibe, that just doesn’t feel right.  Music sucks too, nothing memorable at all.  And good lord do I hate the Sportsmates, with their dead, soulless eyes and gormless faces; and unfortunately the Mii support is totally half arsed (you can’t even use any of the unlockable costumes with the Miis; making the costume feature completely useless for me).  Not to mention that the game was initially released outright unfinished, with an entire sport missing, and core features just… not there.

One of the most disappointing first party Nintendo games in the Switch library as far as I’m concerned.  I was shocked to find out that it wasn’t outsourced, it just doesn’t feel like a proper internally developed Nintendo game at all.  Very rough and unpolished feeling.

I totally get this and I kinda agree with most of what you're saying..

..but Tennis and Golf are just about enough to carry the game for me. They're both a lot of fun to play 😃

Bowling is OK too and the football and volleyball have their moments.

For me, Chambara is a waste of time and not an enjoyable experience at all while Badminton feels almost unnecessary when the vastly superior tennis is in the package.

It's so frustrating that that there aren't more games included like Archery or even Frisbee but, like I say, I weirdly still think it's worth picking up if you love a couple of the included games like I do!

36 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Badminton feels almost unnecessary when the vastly superior tennis is in the package.

Strange, I feel entirely the opposite about this. I love badminton and love the small little subtle things you can do in it to win shots. Tennis I simply cannot comprehend at all. 

15 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Strange, I feel entirely the opposite about this. I love badminton and love the small little subtle things you can do in it to win shots. Tennis I simply cannot comprehend at all. 

Don't worry.. it's an easy mistake to make 😂

• Sad 1

https://www.8ing.co.jp/titles/nintendo-switch-sports_basketball/

Looks like Eighting were the developers for Switch Sports Basketball.

Cool to see Nintendo continuing to work with these guys :) I wonder if it was Eighting's idea to make this DLC, just out of the blue for this 2 year old game? Would at least help explain the bizzare decision to suddenly go back and add new content for seemingly no reason!