NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Sports

Looks like 3-4 player modes run at 30FPS... A shame.

Otherwise it looks good.  Thank Christ I can replace those repugnant sportsmates with Miis though!

Got mine pre-ordered this morning and booked the Friday off for a 4 day Switch Sports weekend.

Any plans for N-E bowling nights?

Man, that's a fun main theme, very evocative of the Wii Sports game themes (and some straight up leitmotif nods, which is always cool!) but with a nice twist which makes it sound fresh. 

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's favourite main theme from one of Nintendo's Sports games?

Personally, I'm partial to Wii Sports Resort:

Probably some bias there, as we didn't get a Wii until Christmas 2009, meaning we played more of Wii Sports Resort than we did Wii Sports. It's really funny because my strongest association with Wii Sports Resort is the Christmas we got it and played it for hours on end during the school holidays, but the music and vibes of the game instantly take me back to the summer. Man, I miss those times. 

The original Wii Sports does have a banger of a main theme though...

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Early reviews:

Online functionality hasn't been considered in these reviews, as it will be added on Friday through a patch. 

• Thanks 1

Despite being really excited for the game after the demo, I didn't bother preordering it. Seeing the online functionality not up and running yet is disappointing as it's a big part of why I want the game. I may wait and see how things pan out on Friday/over the weekend before pulling the trigger. 

I would say i'm surprised by the scores but when you consider what was included out of the box with the original games and then compare it with this version, you can see why it's looking like a weaker product. I know more sports will be added further down the line but it once again highlights the difference in how games are made and released in today's industry when compared to years gone by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nekunando said:

It's a bit boring, though, isn't it..?

6fd706d8ed4bdeaf7540a454aa13007a.jpg

All jokes aside, I've only had the chance to play a few games of tennis, a game of bowling and a 1 v 1 in the football.

I'm interested to see what happens when I explore it further but what's on offer honestly seems a little disappointing so far..

I kinda lost all interest once I realised how much of an online focus it has.

I was hoping for more of a Wii Sports Resort kind of goal system.

• Like 1

I kind of expected a singles mode in tennis rather than just the 2 v 2. When I seen that isn't an option... Nope. Bye. 

Put a few hours into it so far. Online is really impressive for a Nintendo game. Not had any disconnects.

Once you have played 10 times of any of the sports online, a pro league points system is introduced which makes things a lot more competitive and

Love bowling, tennis and badminton. Badminton is so different from tennis, very tactical. Starting to get into Volleyball now. Football is pretty much rocket league.

There are limited time items to unlock for your character as well. You unlock each of these by collecting 100 points. You get at least 30 for a game of tennis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the online match making like? Is easy to set up games with friends? (Can never be too sure with Nintendo :p)

Been tempted but probably gonna stick to my plan to hold off till Golf is added.

Hope more games get added also (for free), Archery would be great, I loved that on Resort, especially trying to find all the hidden targets.

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Football is the one.  That is all :)

I think this may be true. When you have all human people playing its a great game. Had a few great close games that ended by one goal in extra time. It seems the golden ball only appears if you go two goals up. Kinda guess it's meant to try to even the game.

Personal best for me at the moment is Badminton. I think I'm 100% win against randoms at the moment.

I kind of have to just put this out there, but it really is shocking just how much local multiplayer takes a backseat to online multi here; online is literally the first option in the menu when you start the game!

This doesn't really feel like a Wii Sports sequel; but rather its own thing.  Doesn't help that Miis aren't the default option here (and are actually pretty hidden in the character creator); and the laser focus on online play kind of goes against everything that the original Wii Sports games stood for.

Also the music is surprisingly... meh?

The game is fun enough on its own merits, but it doesn't feel like Wii Sports at all.

Edited by Dcubed

On 5/1/2022 at 12:22 AM, Mokong said:

What's the online match making like? Is easy to set up games with friends? (Can never be too sure with Nintendo :p)

Been tempted but probably gonna stick to my plan to hold off till Golf is added.

Hope more games get added also (for free), Archery would be great, I loved that on Resort, especially trying to find all the hidden targets.

Not played it with anyone on my friends list. Going by the online match making with randoms, I doubt there will be any issues.

I am looking forward to playing golf with you again.

On 01/05/2022 at 12:22 AM, Mokong said:

Get on the Discord Organise-a-game channel, we are usually setting up games nightly there. It's super easy and so much fun with friends. Football is probably the best and we are hoping we can get as many from here joining in that one day.

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I kind of have to just put this out there, but it really is shocking just how much local multiplayer takes a backseat to online multi here; online is literally the first option in the menu when you start the game!

This doesn't really feel like a Wii Sports sequel; but rather its own thing.  Doesn't help that Miis aren't the default option here (and are actually pretty hidden in the character creator); and the laser focus on online play kind of goes against everything that the original Wii Sports games stood for.

Also the music is surprisingly... meh?

The game is fun enough on its own merits, but it doesn't feel like Wii Sports at all.

Have to agree with this, especially the first part. It's the only thing that worries me. Its very heavily online focused, there's zero single player game for just being offline. It's no Wii Sports, I know we will get some more added but there's still not going to be the same stuff. I mean I don't mind the knockout bowling thing, but much prefer when you can play with friends and play the full 10 frame instead.

I started using my Mii but found that none of the customisation items are allowed to be used on them, so they pretty much become redundant if you want to deck out your character at all.

Still a fun game and I hope we can get a good group playing one day.

59 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I started using my Mii but found that none of the customisation items are allowed to be used on them, so they pretty much become redundant if you want to deck out your character at all.

No amount of accessories can disguise the ugly Shovelware Wii Sports Knock-off look, so it's not a great trade-off.

Miitopia managed over 100 elaborate costumes for Miis, this game has no excuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's quite an interesting read! Goes into a lot of subjects such as the long dev cycle, the choice for prominent online play, why they made the Sportsmates (and some scrapped ideas like the player controlling a robot).

Also funny to read that they wanted to put in new sports and not rehash the old ones too much. While the general consensus online seems to be: "just give us the old sports!".

• Thanks 1

Very interesting interview that elucidates a lot of the design choices made with this game, like the COVID pandemic leading the team to take a more Online First approach to the game’s design.  Also explains why it came out so late in the Switch’s lifecycle, as the game got rebooted and restarted development midway through!

Some things still puzzle me though… the Sportsmates being born out of a desire to make a clean break away from the previous Wii Sports titles makes sense, but then why elect to bring back Golf, Tennis, Swordfighting and Bowling when you could’ve chosen different sports that are all new? Why not Rugby or Cricket for example?

Edited by Dcubed