NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Sports

46 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Just don't tell anyone about it

Kinda kills this board dead, don't it?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm excited to try it out. :bouncy: It's just a shame the Friday session is on at stupid o' clock in the morning. Hopefully i'll be able to play some of the tests that happen on Saturday.

Wait is it only at certain times?

Damn I thought it was for the whole weekend like. Man I hope I get a chance go try it

30 minutes ago, Mokong said:

Wait is it only at certain times?

Damn I thought it was for the whole weekend like. Man I hope I get a chance go try it

When is it happening?

There will be five sessions in total, each one lasting 45 minutes:

Saturday 19 February

• 03:00 - 03:45 (UK time) / 04:00 - 04:45 (CET)
  • 11:00 - 11:45 (UK time) / 12:00 - 12:45 (CET)
  • 19:00 - 19:45 (UK time) / 20:00 - 20:45 (CET)

Sunday 20 February

• 03:00 - 03:45 (UK time) / 04:00 - 04:45 (CET)
  • 11:00 - 11:45 (UK time) / 12:00 - 12:45 (CET)

From the page when. you register. I suppose those times take into account different time zones, so the early morning one will be more for Japan, and the others are good for us and Americas.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Unfortunate video title at certain screen sizes though

Screenshot-20220218-151658.png

That's some badminton with attitude right there

Just fired up the test and didn't realise you can't actually pick which sport you want to play. The game just picks to randomly for you. No biggie.

First game I played was the sword fighting game. The connection was smooth as butter and the match very fun. 

The second game I played was bowling. This was fantastic. Again, I didn't realize you get hooked up with 15 other players and it plays out as elimiation rounds. I managed to make it to the final four bowlers but completely cocked up my final shot. I like how there's a short time limit on each of your shots. It keeps things moving quickly.

Very impressed so far.

• Like 2

Tennis is awesome as well. Although I did keep forgetting I had two players at my disposal and not just the one. :D It was quite a tight match between myself and the random person but I managed to bring home the win.

I'm on playing another bowling match at the moment. It's definitely the highlight of the sports available in the demo. :heart:

• Like 3

See, nearly totally forgot about this. Managed to get three sports in though.

Sword fighting up first. Fun, seems basic but a lot of strategy needed. I beat the random 2-0 though.

Next up was Tennis, there were three of us in there so it was me (with a ghost me) vs two other randoms. Not sure how I felt about how that played as its essentially two vs 1 even though you are controlling two people. The problem I had was that most the time I would just focus on one of me. As such if we ended up a bit too close both would swing and it could mess it up. If you wanted to swing with the guy closest to the net ut missed, you've then not got a lot of time to get your actual other person to swing before they miss it. Fun and smooth though, I lost in the end but by 1 point. Will definitely be better with four real players and not one having to do double duty.

Got a Sword fight again but it disconnected before the start.

So last up was bowling. Definitely best of the bunch, but I think that was true for Wii Sports too. Got into a lobby of a full 16 people. Already pretty impressive there especially if you can do that with friends when the game is released. Anyway first ball, STRIKE! It plays just like Wii Sports bowling, which was pretty perfect. You can move your guy from side to side then just the angle of them. Bowl and put spin on the ball by rotating the joy con. Managed another strike and got through to round two. Unfortunately went out in the second round, was all pretty close. So sat spectating as I didn't think I'd get another game in as it was close to the allotted time limit. Spectating was pretty good though, all went smoothly and it focussed on everyone playing.

Connection was fine, and apart from that one disconnect which may have been the other person not wanting to play the same game again, there were no issues at all.

I did managed to use the capture button to take a video of my first strike on the first ball, but I wonder if Nintendo will take anything down as they said weren't' allowed to talk about it 😆 I'll see how things are and then post it later.

Overall I think this could be a great party game and it does seem to retain all the fun and charm of WiiSports. I'll try to remember to play one of the other sessions, but will probably forget them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

I did managed to use the capture button to take a video of my first strike on the first ball, but I wonder if Nintendo will take anything down as they said weren't' allowed to talk about it 😆 I'll see how things are and then post it later.

You can take the pictures but when you go to post them via the Switch it won't allow you.

I had a cracking bowling match for my final game of demo session. I wasn't doing that well and then went and hit 5 strikes in a row. I was going nuts. I didn't get the win but did pick up a silver. 

The inclusion of such smooth online functionality with random players is exactly what I wanted from Wii Sports ever since Resort hit the shelves. I can't wait for the full release.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You can take the pictures but when you go to post them via the Switch it won't allow you.

Sneaky Nintendo. I wonder if that's just the Switch doing that? I wonder if you can get them off the card put them on your phone or computer and post them that way.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I think that's also something they do when you get a game early too (it happened with me when my copy of Brilliant Diamond turned up half a week early). I can kind of get it for a full game release in some instances where you don't want reviewers or people with early copies going rogue and spoiling things for others, but it seems a bit extreme for a play test of a game specifically like this? 

Though, I suppose they want to make it clear that this isn't the final product and is a stress test, and would be concerned about people sharing footage of the game which isn't representative of that ::shrug:

Anyways, great reading yours and @BowserBasher's thoughts. I didn't sign up myself for the Play Test in the end because I knew I'd be busy around the times of the tests, but reading that you guys are getting some proper enjoyment out of it and that the online is smooth is pretty much all I needed to see coming out of this :D

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I noticed the elimination Bowling in the trailer and thought, that's such a good idea!

God, those not-Miis look so generic though. Looks like they come from one of the many third party copies of Wii Sports.

20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

God, those not-Miis look so generic though. Looks like they come from one of the many third party copies of Wii Sports.

Maybe that's why Nintendo don't want us sharing any thing from the playlets LOL, they don't want the not-Miis taken the mick out of.

Ack I missed the play tests :(

Hopefully will catch one of tomorrows

• Sad 1

Was literally only here for the tennis, and it is all I will be buying it for, and I kept getting the stupid sword game 3 times in a row!! Which I have zero interest in and was bored out my brain with. 

So I sacked it off. 

How very Nintendo to not let you choose the sport you want to play. Lol. 

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

My experience & opinion pretty much matches what others have said.  The connection for me was smooth.  Matchmaking wasn’t instant, but it was fairly quick.  20-player bowling is a great idea and puts a little more pressure on players and more stakes on each game.

The fame suggested that different clothes and gear could be earned by playing games, but obviously this wasn’t available in the test.  A good idea to me, and gives some further incentive / reward for playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I had a cracking bowling match for my final game of demo session. I wasn't doing that well and then went and hit 5 strikes in a row. I was going nuts. I didn't get the win but did pick up a silver. 

Nice one. Did it say turkey for three in a row? Anything different for strikes four and five?

5 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Nice one. Did it say turkey for three in a row? Anything different for strikes four and five?

Yup. Turkey, then 4 Bagger and then 5 Bagger.

• Thanks 2

Another great session. 

Got a decent amount of games played, and it seemed to be fairly rotated from the three.

It seems that the sword frighting will go to a final forth round if you get tied. My first match was 1 round each and then a time limit tie. So tense. The final round makes the base shrink and it's literally one hit and you're out. I took a risk and lost, but so much fun. Tried the other two matches with the double sword but couldn't quite grasp them yet,

Tennis. Think I had three games, It seems that. even if there are only two people it's still a doubles match. I hope there's singles in the final game. Anyway, some great matches and very close games. Last game I played went to 9-7 in my favour. I got to like 6-3 at one point and squandered so many match points. Great game though. I saw one person do a strong serve, it had a purple line behind the ball, never could do that myself and I guess you just have to time it right.

Bowling, this is still the star of the game, and people seem to be getting good, or at least knowing how to get them strikes. First game I did poorly and didn't make it past the first round. Second I think I got to the next round. On my final Bowling game I was on form, 90% of it. Got a Turkey spanning the first and second round. Had a few rounds where either I weren't spinning the Joy Con enough to get the spin or something funny happened as the ball went the wrong way. However I still managed to hold it in there and finished second in that match. It really stands out as the best game in the game so far. I hope there's other pay modes and it won't just be the elimination mode.

• Like 3

So I've just noticed on the Nintendo store this is up for £30.99 for digital copy but £39.99 for the physical copy. Is this the first time Nintendo have done two different prices for digital and physical games? They are usually all the same price. It also seems to only be this game.

4 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

So I've just noticed on the Nintendo store this is up for £30.99 for digital copy but £39.99 for the physical copy. Is this the first time Nintendo have done two different prices for digital and physical games? They are usually all the same price. It also seems to only be this game.

Physical copy comes with the strap. Guess you will need to buy the strap separately if you go digital. I would think the Ring Fit Adventure one will work.

2 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

It's because the physical game comes with the leg strap.  They did the same digital vs physical discount for Brain Training Switch because the physical release came with a (crappy) capacitive stylus.

3 hours ago, Ike said:

Physical copy comes with the strap.

I was gonna say I never use the Joy Con straps though...

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It's because the physical game comes with the leg strap.  They did the same digital vs physical discount for Brain Training Switch because the physical release came with a (crappy) capacitive stylus.

But these makes sense, I forgot about the leg strap thing. I'll still go physical copy though. thanks you two.

• Thanks 1