NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Live A Live (22nd July 2022)

Coming west for the first time, and in stunning HD-2D, no less! 

Play seven stories featuring a variety of protagonists, time periods, and gameplay styles in any order you choose, now with newly remastered HD-2D graphics.

Edited by Julius

Makes FF Pixel Remaster look like crap, again.

I'm not complaining, but how does this very niche RPG get that lovely treatment, but Final Fantasy doesn't? Square, buck your ideas up!

• Thanks 1

Makes the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters all the more insulting.

Wow! I can't believe that it's finally getting an English localisation! Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure Hunter G actually have a realistic chance now! Unbelieveble!

Have always wanted to try this game out, looking forward to this one :D

Holy smokes, I've just been reading up on the game a bit more, and somehow every time I've heard about this game the people involved never came up. Those YouTube videos that mentioned the game that I watched should be absolutely ashamed!

• Directed by Takashi Tokita - the Lead Designer on Final Fantasy IV, and Director of Parasite Eve and Chrono Trigger! 

• Battle and Scenario Direction by Nobuyuki Inoue - the Director of Mother 3! 

• Music by Yoko Shimomura - probably the most recognisable name of the bunch, this was her first big gig at Square. Shimomura has been the composer for games such as checks notes the Kingdom Hearts series, Final Fight, Super Mario RPG, the Mario & Luigi series, Xenoblade Chronicles (with others) and Final Fantasy XV (with others). 

The trailer already sold me on the game, but damn, those are some massive names, and they all worked together on this before they were big names. As if I couldn't be more sold. Oh, and there's a track in the game called Megalomania - jeez, I wonder who that track might have inspired? 

Well, if you do want to be more sold, Peer Schneider from IGN has your back with some tweets to make it even more enticing. I'll toss them in a spoiler tag because it's a bit long, but if you're on the fence, I'd recommend giving it a read. 

Spoiler

Yeah, this is ticking each and every box for me.

I need this game :D

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Do we know if it’s Switch exclusive?

They didn't say it was during the Direct but sites that focus on other consoles arent reporting about the game and yet do mention things like Front Mission and Chrono Cross. It's possibly a timed exclusive.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They didn't say it was during the Direct but sites that focus on other consoles arent reporting about the game and yet do mention things like Front Mission and Chrono Cross. It's possibly a timed exclusive.

Yeah that’s what was making me wonder as I’d seen trailers for those other elsewhere. Just looks like one I’d like to play on the Steam Deck.

The game will be on sale for £39.99 (source: it's eShop page). 

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Do we know if it’s Switch exclusive?

I think it's pretty much nailed on at this point to be Switch exclusive from what I can find, at least at launch and possibly timed, like H-o-T suggested. 

The trailer on the Japanese Square Enix YouTube channel only mentions the Switch in its description, and it is included in this version of Nintendo's press release for the Direct - which looks like it only mentions and links to exclusive titles from the Direct on the eShop.

The page for the game on Square Enix Japan's site (I couldn't find it anywhere on their western site) also only mentions the Switch, as well as the first mention of a physical release and Collector's Edition of the game - let's hope they find their way to the West! 

FLON4mhXsAIdDpH?format=jpg&name=large

Apart from the Dragon Quest III HD-2D remake, which I think at this point is still just vaguely listed as coming to "home consoles", the other two console HD-2D games have both had some form of Switch exclusivity so far. 

It's actually insane to think that between this and Triangle Strategy, the number of released HD-2D games from Team Asano will be tripling this year, as the only HD-2D game to release has been Octopath Traveler so far, and that was nearly four years ago now! You definitely get the sense that the team has been expanded and that they're working closely with other teams at Square Enix on these projects, as well as external support studios, as their output of games is increasing. 

It's just such a Square Enix move for a game as niche and under the radar as Live A Live to be the first HD-2D remake to release, when other Square Enix titles like Chrono Trigger and the classic Final Fantasy games have yet to come to modern platforms, despite having ports out on mobile and PC. One day! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asano's team are certainly moving up in the world! S-E is basically them and then the rest is all junk at this point lol.

3 hours ago, Julius said:

It's just such a Square Enix move for a game as niche and under the radar as Live A Live to be the first HD-2D remake to release, when other Square Enix titles like Chrono Trigger and the classic Final Fantasy games have yet to come to modern platforms, despite having ports out on mobile and PC. One day! 

It's the most Square-Enix thing in the world that Live A Live of all things gets a lavish HD 2D remake, while Final Fantasy 1-6 and Chrono Trigger get mobile junk ports :laughing:

Been checking the Nintendo UK Store throughout the day, and there it is: physical release confirmed! Pre-order link here

FLQFb5DWUAMTdeT?format=jpg&name=large

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Asano's team are certainly moving up in the world! S-E is basically them and then the rest is all junk at this point lol.

I feel Square Enix as a whole has really put a shift in the last few years to fix their image, at least in my eyes. When I first joined here XV wasn't out and the perspective of S-E was pretty dismal, whereas now I think it's only on the up and up across the board, and the games are coming consistently and they're of a generally high quality. It makes it even more confusing that a game like Stranger of Paradise is coming out next month, but I think, should Final Fantasy XVI release late this year or early next and be anywhere near the high quality as to what CBU III has put out with XIV, they'll have turned that image of taking 5-10 years to get things out of the door after announcement successfully around and delivering a good game at the same time.

Who knew that not wasting time over building new engines and just focusing on putting out a quality product on an existing one could be a good idea? :laughing:

I do absolutely agree with you on Team Asano, though. I'm excited to see what other games could get this treatment moving forwards, my only real concern - and I know we're early on, so we're far from that point right now I think - would be the market getting saturated with these HD-2D styled games, which I think could easily become the case and the next big thing indies go for besides being a Metroidvania. 

Wow Nintendo... You just did this game proper dirty...

Here's hoping that LAL gets shuffled forward or back... or else it's gonna get crushed by Xenoblade 3 :(

Square Enix aired a stream for the game yesterday which lasted nearly two hours, and someone has kindly cut together the gameplay clips:

Continues to look great :D

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ike said:

There's a demo as well.

Was just about to say as they mention it on the Treehouse. Looking forward to giving it a go. :cool: Save data transferring over is a real boon with RPG demos. 

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Still bitter this isn't getting a PC release because it looks really good 😭

I mean, it's a Team Asano HD-2D game. After Triangle Strategy and Octopath Traveler, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Give it a year, it'll probably come out on PC then.

I wonder if Dragon Quest III HD-2D will finally buck that trend?

37 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I wonder if Dragon Quest III HD-2D will finally buck that trend?

6l5jh8.jpg

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The demo has made me want Chrono Trigger and Earthbound done in this style (with voice acting). :hehe: 

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

The demo has made me want Chrono Trigger and Earthbound done in this style (with voice acting). :hehe: 

Welcome to the club.

EarthBound is a long shot, seeing as Square has nothing to do with that. But I can get on board with that dream.

Is this pronounced like Live Alive or Live A Life or just two times Live (like live streaming)? Or a combination? 

18 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Is this pronounced like Live Alive or Live A Life or just two times Live (like live streaming)? Or a combination? 

According to the reveal on Nintendo Direct, it's Live Alive.

Sign in to follow this