NEurope
Julius

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (29th July 2022)

The wait for Monolith Soft's next game is finally over. 

Guess I need to hurry up and get around to playing 2, huh? 

Edited by Julius

Still need to finish 1 haha. But would love to see how this one's going to connect both.

My only quandary is whether or not I pick up Xenoblade Chronicles X to play through before September - I've been putting it off in the hopes they'd port it to Switch but it seems like there's very little chance of that happening anytime soon so I might as well pick up the Wii U version 

I think Monolith Soft might be my favourite developer, I can't wait to get stuck in to another one of their games!

Edited by killthenet

Watched the trailer a few times, sounds like some voice actors are returning, Vandhams being the most noticeable.... already seen some people online suggest the guy with the eye patch is Vandham.

I'd be surprised if it was, probably more like a descendant of his that just sounds like him :p Unless he was turned into a Blade Eater without Rex and Co finding out during XBC2

Also at the end, there's a masked High Entia which could be Tyrea, voice sounds like her too and then you see a masked Blade Flesh Eater which looks like it could be Nia in Blade form. BUT the dialogue that happens "They must be erased without a trace" sounds like Melia.

If Jenna Coleman coming back I really hope Adam Howden returns also, even if playing a descendant of Shulk if not somehow Shulk himself.

The setting seems to be set a long time after the end of 1 and 2, a few hundred years maybe?

Tyrea, Melia as High Entia could potentially have long enough lifespans to still be around... Blades should too.

• Like 1

Have not playet Thorna yet, hope to do it one day (thank God don't need Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for that, don't have it anymore, but maybe the save game is still on the console), but will get this (I hope). Very exited.

But what is going on with Xenoblade Chronicles X and the sequel?

Executive Director Tetsuya Takahashi has shared some exciting details in a message on the official Nintendo website, including  the composer's (spoilers: Mitsuda and ACE are back!). 

Hi everyone, this is Tetsuya Takahashi from MONOLITHSOFT.

Just over four years since the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and one and a half years since the release of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, we now bring to you news regarding the latest game from MONOLITHSOFT: Xenoblade Chronicles 3. As the name indicates, it’s the third instalment in the Xenoblade Chronicles series. We are currently making the final adjustments to ensure we make it the best game possible based on everything we’ve learned from the past games from the series.

The key visual features a broken great sword of Mechonis and the body of the Urayan Titan with a big gaping hole. I imagine everyone who saw the trailer was quite surprised by the final scene. What is this visual hinting at? I can’t reveal that yet. What I can tell you is that this visual was conceived quite some time ago. More precisely speaking, we came up with it sometime between the end of development of Xenoblade Chronicles and the beginning of development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

So, it’s not something we recently added to the series. We believe the game will be enjoyable for both those who’ve played Xenoblade Chronicles and/or Xenoblade Chronicles 2, as well as those who will be playing a Xenoblade Chronicles game for the first time.

The characters were designed by Masatsugu Saito, who also designed the characters for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While we can’t show them to you at this time, Koichi Mugitani created some of the key artworks. As you can see, familiar staff members to the Xenoblade Chronicles series have once again come together to create this game.

The game music was also handled by artists who’ve contributed to the series in the past. The music for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, Manami Kiyota, ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO), Kenji Hiramatsu and Mariam Abounnasr.

The music in this game maintains the unique Xenoblade Chronicles touch while also taking on a new challenge, namely that of integrating as its motif – a flute-based melody. The flute is actually one of the key themes in this game. A variety of other elements and themes are hidden in the trailer. We’ll be revealing the details bit by bit going forward.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a brand new adventure bringing together the worlds of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to take the players into the future. While there is still some time left before the release of the game, please look forward to it.

There are also a bunch of short character profiles and screenshots up on the official site too. 

Edited by Julius

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Executive Director Tetsuya Takahashi has shared some exciting details in a message on the official Nintendo website, including  the composer's (spoilers: Mitsuda and ACE are back!). 

There are also a bunch of short character profiles and screenshots up on the official site too. 

From those character descriptions and the focus on those two main characters in the trailer, sounds like their may be two separate campaigns/two separate parties you play as, from two opposing sides of a war, who then inevitably come together to defeat a greater threat? 

Anyway, exciting news! September seems so soon, I hadn't really contemplated this could be out this year but then didn't realise Xenoblade 2 came out in 2017. Blimey, time flies.

Boy, it's not being vague about merging the two numbered titles together in some way from that interview, huh?

Spoiler

I'm very confused on how Mechonis is even there? Seeing as how it was, y'know, completely destroyed by Bionis once Zanza started his plan. Weird.

Spoiler

Just as confusing is how Uraya got stabbed by Mechonis in the first place. Unless I completely missed the point of the ending, the two games happen simultaneously in two parallel universes, right? What's that all about?

So many questions!

Spoiler
On 2/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, Mokong said:

...and then you see a masked Blade Flesh Eater which looks like it could be Nia in Blade form. BUT the dialogue that happens "They must be erased without a trace" sounds like Melia.

I mean, it's gotta be Nia, right? The crystal is the same, she has her hood from her OG yellow jumpsuit, and the colors matches her blade outfit perfectly. Really looking forward to how this is going to play out.

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2022 at 11:25 PM, Mokong said:

...and then you see a masked Blade Flesh Eater which looks like it could be Nia in Blade form. BUT the dialogue that happens "They must be erased without a trace" sounds like Melia.

So, as someone who hasn't played XC2 -- if Nia is the cat-eared one we saw in a bunch of trailers before the game launched, I agree that's 100% who that is. For me the tell is that the mask she's wearing has cat ears on which do a good - but not perfect - job of covering her actual cat ears. 

And that other character definitely sounds like Jenna Coleman, so I'll be very surprised if that's not Melia we see just before her! 

Edited by Julius

I don't know about the Xenoblade storyline (all being well I will by the time this comes round), but that trailer is something else. 

Imagine what they could squeeze out of the Switch if Monolith Soft and Shin'en Multimedia were to team up and pool their optimisation expertise. :o 

July 29th?! 

Why are Noah and his friends being pursued as "monsters" by the forces of the two nations they hail from? Witness the introduction of the mighty Ouroboros forms, the oversized entities your party can become during battle in this epic continuation of the Xenoblade Chronicles series.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 arrives on July 29!

Spoiler

RIP Live-A-Live I guess

We're still seeing a lot of games being delayed, and then there's just Monolith Soft sitting unhinged in the corner, casually bumping the game up 2 months from September to July. Damn. 

A Special Edition is also currently slated for release in North America through the My Nintendo Store:

No word yet on a UK/EU release (or counterpart), but I imagine it's only a matter of time? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like a lot of Nintendo games, it's probably been finished for a while and they've just been sat on it. Makes me wonder just what their big game will be for the end of the year. Splatoon 3? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Julius said:

July 29th?! 

Seinfeld Get Out GIF - Seinfeld Get Out Elaine - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

Looks like I can kiss goodbye to any lingering hopes I harboured of being fully caught up with 1 & 2 in time for three. Bit of a weight off my shoulders, actually!

But what of Splatoon 3? Thought it was slated for summer. :( 

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Like a lot of Nintendo games, it's probably been finished for a while and they've just been sat on it. 

Yeah, I think you're right about that. I know Monolith Soft is pretty big, so I imagine there'll be a bit of tidying up of the game for some of them in the coming months, but I imagine they're otherwise all hands on deck for helping out with BOTW2 and probably chipping away at whatever their next game is. 

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Makes me wonder just what their big game will be for the end of the year. Splatoon 3?

Honestly, it slipped my mind until you mentioned it that Nintendo actually announced Splatoon 3 as coming this summer, and surely this shakes things up a bit for that game.

June is pretty busy as it is for Nintendo with Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Warriors, so there's no way it's getting bumped up as well, so it could be that Splatoon 3 is swapping places with Xenoblade and landing in September? Guess it could also slip into August and still be a summer release, but that's typically a quiet time for releases as it is, and what with it being the summer holidays in Japan and Nintendo published games on the Switch not really coming in August (Tetris 99 and Astral Chain in 2019 are the only ones after looking it up), I'd be surprised if that happened.

There's also Mario+Rabbids: Sparks of Hope and Bayonetta 3 to squeeze in there somewhere, Advance Wars to reschedule for release, and we're absolutely getting more announcements at Not-E3 and potentially another Direct before the end of the year, probably in September again. Nintendo basically pulled a Kirby and used Mouthful Mode on the entirety of 2022; what a stacked year it has been and will seemingly continue to be! 

Either way, I think the move is a good thing: if it did release in September, I think it would be poor curation on Nintendo's part, what with this being a massive open world, an open world Pokémon game in November, and then a quarter or so later another sprawling open world in BOTW2. Arguably much more overlap between Pokémon and Xenoblade, sure, but I don't care how much of a fan you are of Nintendo games, that's a lot of open world games in potentially (depending on how Nintendo are defining Spring) a six months window. I mean it sounds exhausting to me just thinking about it. Doubt I'll get through Future Connect and XC2 + Torna by the time this comes out, but it allows me to not rush to and through those games, which is a nice relief. 

Only real loser is probably Live-A-Live, which releases on July 22nd as things stand. Curious to see if that gets pushed back now, or if Square Enix repeat what they did with Dragon Quest XI when it first released over here on PS4 a few days ahead of Spider-Man, and just completely ignore the fact that they're releasing next to a juggernaut. Yeah okay, there's probably more overlap in audience for Live-A-Live and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 than there was for Dragon Quest XI and Spider-Man, but that really should have been the breakout success for the series in the west, which is what made the scheduling of its release super weird ::shrug:

Oh, and hey: finally - FINALLY! - one of these behemoth, 50+ hours JRPG's is releasing in the dead of summer! That's a win for anime :p

Edited by Julius

I'd somehow forgotten about Mario + Rabbids 2, not a first party game but they're still likely to promote it a ton given how well the first one did.

Personally speaking Xenoblade trailers bore me to tears and they seem to go on forever. Same with Fire Emblem, so I'm kind of hoping this game + FE Warriors aren't a big part of their E3 Direct.

Edited by Ronnie

Only a month between Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak and Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Guess I won't be seeing the sun all Summer so haha

Hope I can get the SE here in Ireland. Got it for the XBC2 and XBC:DE, so I must have a full set!!!

OK, yeah, that's a lot sooner then I expected.

At least there's no risk of overlap with Pokémon. Wish it wasn't releasing so close to Live A Live though. Ah well.

Not gonna watch that trailer though, I'm already sold.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Not gonna watch that trailer though, I'm already sold.

Good call, kinda wish I didn't watch it, there's something shown which feels like it could be important to the story.

Gonna avoid any new trailers from now on...For just the next 3 months!!!! Hot damn, still can't believe it's coming earlier. :D