NEurope
darksnowman

Mario Strikers: Battle League Football

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

To be fair, neither of the two previous Strikers games had much in the way of single player content either.  You had the basic championship mode and then the 12 challenges in Strikers Charged and that’s it.

Which is still more than what is on offer here. Not to mention more stadiums and characters. The cups were also longer in the GameCube and Wii versions, with qualifying rounds at the start and more rounds as you progress. Some of the later cups were quite lengthy. Here you only play 3 rounds per cup, one extra if you get defeated in one of the matches. I bought both the previous games mainly for the single player and certainly got more than 5-6 hours out of them.

The drip-feed of content should be evidence enough that Single player is not that important compared to the multiplayer aspect.

• Sad 1

FVDBgzWUAAAZBI7?format=jpg&name=small

The game difficulty did ramp up a bit but nothing too taxing. It did highlight just how cheap the AI can be in the game though. In some matches the AI would just stroll up to my keeper, do a normal shot and it would go in and yet when I tried to score against their keeper using power shots he would just smile and bat the ball away. Also, I had a match where I was 3-2 up with 25 seconds left on the clock. The AI kicked off, shot straight away and it went it from the kick off area. I then kicked off, the AI got a Star and the Hyper Strike power up spawned right next to them. They then used the Star and pulled off a perfect Hyper Strike to win the game. That's Mario kart levels of garbage right there.
With these cups now done, that's it for the single player offering of the game, which is severely lacking in content. For all intents and purposes, they may as well made this an online only game. I couldn't remember what was on offer in Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii so I had a look to see what the game offered. It has a good set of unlockables to obtain, as well as in game achievements. It also had a challenge mode and 17 football arenas. All of this, as well as the standard online and campaign modes. This game is certain a massive set back in terms of content and I don't think the 10 characters that they are going to drip players with makes much of a difference. It needs extra game modes.
So, yeah, not much to the game at all. 
That sounds identical to the Wii version. Sometimes the AI would just decide to score and there was nothing you could do about it. We stopped playing after a while because it was such bullshit.

2 hours ago, bob said:

That sounds identical to the Wii version. Sometimes the AI would just decide to score and there was nothing you could do about it. We stopped playing after a while because it was such bullshit.

Yeah, it can make for a pretty frustrating experience. It cheapens the game and at times it makes it feel like a victory is based on RNG rather than skill.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

20 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game difficulty did ramp up a bit but nothing too taxing. It did highlight just how cheap the AI can be in the game though. In some matches the AI would just stroll up to my keeper, do a normal shot and it would go in and yet when I tried to score against their keeper using power shots he would just smile and bat the ball away. Also, I had a match where I was 3-2 up with 25 seconds left on the clock. The AI kicked off, shot straight away and it went it from the kick off area. I then kicked off, the AI got a Star and the Hyper Strike power up spawned right next to them. They then used the Star and pulled off a perfect Hyper Strike to win the game. That's Mario kart levels of garbage right there.

Sounds legit--we've seen this kind of performance where the opposition keeper at Anfield saves everything that's thrown at them, right down to them punting it up the other end for a tap-in to nick the points. :woops:  

And people say 2-0 is the most dangerous scoreline in football...

The CPU manager in the post-match interview:
when you get a super rare/good stand from just a few arrows | Fandom

15 hours ago, bob said:

That sounds identical to the Wii version. Sometimes the AI would just decide to score and there was nothing you could do about it. We stopped playing after a while because it was such bullshit.

I can imagine. Hyper strikes and that malarky were the reason I skipped the Wii version. Tbh, never thought I'd be waiting so long for the next entry or I might have got it in hindsight. Which one was it had the pitch tipping? That was a decent idea for an option of how to make it more frantic.

In the GameCube original, you could enjoy a good game of (violent) indoor footy and bend in some shots from the halfway line if you were able to work the time and space, much like how past golf and tennis games were Nintendo's take on the sports. And that's still all I want from the Mario sports games: a colourful, over-the-top take on the sport in question--crazy curve shots!--underpinned with a foundation of rock-solid gameplay mechanics that aren't made a mockery of by the last gasp whims of the CPU. Winning and losing shouldn't be down to who can hit the jackpot. 

Why not put in a Vanilla Cup, Hyper Strike Cup, etc to test you on these different aspects.

Anyone played enough Battle League Football to know what options are included? Like, if we wanted, could an N-E Vanilla Lake League be set up?

56 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Anyone played enough Battle League Football to know what options are included? Like, if we wanted, could an N-E Vanilla Lake League be set up?

Hyper Strikes and items can be turned off I believe, so it should be possible!

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

With these cups now done, that's it for the single player offering of the game, which is severely lacking in content. For all intents and purposes, they may as well made this an online only game. I couldn't remember what was on offer in Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii so I had a look to see what the game offered. It has a good set of unlockables to obtain, as well as in game achievements. It also had a challenge mode and 17 football arenas. All of this, as well as the standard online and campaign modes. This game is certain a massive set back in terms of content and I don't think the 10 characters that they are going to drip players with makes much of a difference. It needs extra game modes.

So, yeah, not much to the game at all. 

Fair play to, I am struggling on Galactic mode haha.

Took me 4 attempts to beat Cannon Cup (I think I even had to spend 100 coins to redo the final).

Currently tried Chain Cup 5 times and not past 2nd match yet :p

• Haha 1

On 12/06/2022 at 3:34 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Which is still more than what is on offer here. Not to mention more stadiums and characters. The cups were also longer in the GameCube and Wii versions, with qualifying rounds at the start and more rounds as you progress. Some of the later cups were quite lengthy. Here you only play 3 rounds per cup, one extra if you get defeated in one of the matches. I bought both the previous games mainly for the single player and certainly got more than 5-6 hours out of them.

The most annoying thing is that the Online Club thing could have been easily adapted to a singleplayer mode, where you work through it and unlock the customisation options. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cube said:

The most annoying thing is that the Online Club thing could have been easily adapted to a singleplayer mode, where you work through it and unlock the customisation options. 

Exactly this. I feel like there is noting to spend my coins on after we've spent them on the available clothes. 

Anyway, playing against @dazzybee and had the real freak accident of a goal.

Poor goalie

So after some time of not being able to do the Galactic Cups, I think I've turned a corner as I\ve now done three. Really am now enjoying it more. Just wanted to share a few great goals.

• Like 2

Galactic Mode done, single player complete haha

In first game in (this upteenth attempt at) Championship Cup got luck with the bounce for this just barely into extra time Golden Goal.

In the Final then thought the CPU won it at the end but I somehow forced it to extra time with this cheeky quick shot after the restart

Won the game (and the cup) then in extra time.

• Like 1

Finally did it.Took a while and seemed to annoy me a bit.

also when this happens in a game you just know its not your game.

• Like 1

First free update arrives this Friday, and a further two free updates are planned for 2022:

Of course Daisy was gonna be the first new character added.

So… next waves to be the following?

Wave 2: Diddy Kong/Boo

Wave 3: Pauleen/Hammer Bro

Saw the vid on YouTube. Think this game needs more than three waves, tbh.

Daisy: Technique, hard to barge over, should have been in the game from the start
Shyguy: All-rounder
Desert Ruin Stadium if that's your thing
Knight gear: strength and shooting up

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Of course Daisy was gonna be the first new character added.

So… next waves to be the following?

Wave 2: Diddy Kong/Boo

Wave 3: Pauleen/Hammer Bro

Safe enough predictions.

Would be nice if they continue to add to it beyond the confirmed three waves.

41 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Saw the vid on YouTube. Think this game needs more than three waves, tbh.

It needs more cups or game modes more than anything. 

My copy is gone. The single player is a bit of a joke, and I don't have the time to polish my skills to keep going at this competitive online. The ranking system isn't that great so you still get slaughtered a lot online. Playing for a Club is fun for a while but the way the results are based (instead of number of wins it is who gets the most points, so having a full team who plays a lot racks up more points, even if you lose a lot). The rewards you get are low, and there hasn't been any quirky seasons except for maybe an only bombs as item one.

We did have a pretty cool competition with some guys on Discord but there's no way to organize it in-game. I can't believe how barebones the whole online service is. The free DLC added more characters that could have easily have been unlockables.

It's a shame, I wanted to give this a proper chance and try my skills, but there just is no incentive to keep going. I traded it in and got myself Age of Calamity, already had more fun with that than with Strikers!

I can understand preferring Strikers Charged over Battle League, but the Gamecube original? No freaking way.  That game is so utterly basic in comparison to both of its sequels that you're actively trolling if you say it's better than Battle League.  That or you have nostalgia glasses so fogged that they're giving you cataracts.

Edited by Dcubed

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I can understand preferring Strikers Charged over Battle League, but the Gamecube original? No freaking way.  

Bh187 Bill And Ted Bogus Journey GIF - Bh187 Bill And Ted Bogus Journey Bill And Ted GIFs

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

mariostrikersbattleleagueupdatebanner.620x0.webp

Mario Strikers: Battle League Football Update Out Now