NEurope
darksnowman

Mario Strikers: Battle League Football

Joined the online session and it hasn't sold me on it so I reckon I'll hold fire and wait for impressions when the dust settles instead of just buying it blindly on day one like I did with Golf. :woops: Seems polished but I want to know what options it has as I'd be inclined to want to turn off items, super shots and whatever to just play a tackle, pass, through-ball, shoot style game of footy. Character stats + player proficiency is enough for me. :blush: That's how I rocked on Gamecube.

Of course, it's impossible to judge it definitively from these 2v2 matches. Too much chaos. Don't know the buttons. Don't know which character I am. Don't know which character I'm switching to. The other person doesn't know what's going on either. Not a great first impression but not ruling it out.

Just in case people miss the free kick and want a quick look at it.

It was fun when I got a decent team mate, the game at this point had loads of people playing for themselves, but on reflection, maybe some were just getting confused by the hectic gameplay. I can see this game being the best playing solo or with a full team so you get less confused on which player you are controlling.

I got enough to keep my pre-order.

22 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@lostmario I noticed you were playing it. Thoughts?

A bit too gimmicky for me. It's too hectic and I've never been a fan of the unstoppable power moves in mario sports games. 

If I bought it, I'd be buying it for regular 4 player N-E action and unfortunately the N-E online community is nowhere as strong as it was during the Wii/Wii U days.

Also, with the lack of voice chat to communicate with your teammates, you lose a big part of the online experience so I'll be giving this a miss.

I didn't have any issues during the online games. I've been very surprised by how good the online experience has been on the Switch so far.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lostmario said:

Also, with the lack of voice chat to communicate with your teammates, you lose a big part of the online experience so I'll be giving this a miss.

I know no one seems to use it, but this does support the voice chat function in the NSO mobile app. Plus most the time we just use discord when we play MK and Smash now.

• Like 1

You could use the N-E Discord that is used for Monster Hunter and Mario Kart ;)

https://discord.gg/BYe2bfCm

Just bought some NSO vouchers, cancelled my physical pre-order and pre-ordered digital. I usually prefer physical but figured this feels like something I'd prefer to have constantly on the Switch.

Suppose just need to find another game to use the 2nd voucher on now.

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

"Here are some rough and tumble tactics to get you started."

That video was pretty much the training section of the demo but in video form. 

Nice video though.

Had a good go of this for a couple of hours this morning. Did the tutorials, while controls nothing too complicated there's a lot to remember. I seem to keep forgetting dodge is a thing :p

Played and won the first two Single Player cups handy enough, went online and did 5 matches and one won 1 :p

Kinda weird not having the attacking dodges that were in Charged Football, have fond memories using Hammer Bro's hammer to make space. And also not having special shots for each character. I used to love Dry Bones electric shot to stun the keeper and score on rebound haha.

Still really enjoyed what I played so far, even the online loses I had as 3 or 4 loses were very close ... The other we shant talk about though :p

Also won the first two cups pretty easily to be fair but they are the first two. 

I keep forgetting dodge too, and probably half the stuff bought in the tutorial, b ut still fun and scored some nice team goals.

@Mokong we have a team set up on the discord chat for playing as a team later. I can get the code if you are not on that. Or, I think it is @dazzybee that set it up and may want to share it in here,

@BowserBasheri

Is it the same Discord as used for Monster Hunter and Mario Kart?

If not send me the code :)

1 hour ago, Mokong said:

@BowserBasheri

Is it the same Discord as used for Monster Hunter and Mario Kart?

If not send me the code :)

I think that's just the voice chat one, https://discord.gg/UvjyBMmc This is the Discord with the main NE channels, we started a Mario Strikers chat there too. If not then the code is 8T82M5G

Just had around an hour or so playing with @dazzybee and @Dufniall. This game is crazy and manic but also very much fun. All our games were close, we were playing 1v2 each time. One went to the Golden Goal. Such a great game.

Edited by BowserBasher
  • Like 2

I decided to bite the bullet(bill) and picked this up this morning. Hopefully I will get to grips the game once I spend a little more time with it. The demo didn't leave a great first impression but then I only played a couple of matches.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I decided to bite the bullet(bill)

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f9e6c105dbd8ec582ce1632de275aee6d86793e9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Haha 1

My copy arrived yesterday but didn't have time before work. I'll give it a go whilst at my parents. Would love to play some games with (and against) you guys.

Won the first cup and have started to get to grips with things now. I still need to remember to dodge a lot more though but in these easier cups it's not too much of an issue.

Had a cracking game online with 3 other players. It went into extra time but sadly the opposition got the win thanks to a hyper shot. 

Completed the first 4 cups now. My team at the moment consists of Rosalina and Wario up front and Waluigi and Mario at the back. 

I've not bought any gear yet but the AI seems to be getting pretty decked out in the latter cups that I've done. I'm gonna have to start investing in some but I can't decided who to kit out first.  

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Completed the first 4 cups now. My team at the moment consists of Rosalina and Wario up front and Waluigi and Mario at the back. 

I've not bought any gear yet but the AI seems to be getting pretty decked out in the latter cups that I've done. I'm gonna have to start investing in some but I can't decided who to kit out first.  

Each piece only costs 100 coins, I bet you have more than enough to kit out a handful of characters at this point.

Just now, Emerald Emblem said:

Each piece only costs 100 coins, I bet you have more than enough to kit out a handful of characters at this point.

Indeed but still not enough for everyone or everything. :p 

A classic Liverpool counter attack. Klopp would be proud.  :D 

Sometimes it's best to run out the clock and do nothing. :p  

• Thanks 1

The normal mode cups have been completed and the credits have rolled.

Spoiler

Unless the unlocked level offers a massive step up in difficulty, this is going to be a VERY short gaming experience. I've probably only been on the game a total of 3-4 hours today. I was expecting the cups to get more difficult as they went on but I was still winning with a 6-7 goal difference and all of the cups apart from the last were played without any gear. Crazy. 

Completed all the Normal Cups yesterday, in the last one had a weird final where first game went to Golden Goal and I never noticed there was a timer on that but discovered it is possible to end in a draw if no Golden Goal ks scored. That lead to the match being replayed no hearts lost. Then I lost the replay due to a couple of hyper strikes but won the next game :)

Online wise, either I am getting slightly better or getting paired with people worse than me as I started to win a few games.

Was playing one guy and was really enjoying it as were having some close games, won but single goal difference so we kept having rematches. In one game I scored in 17 seconds and the game ended 1-0 haha.

Then I played someone else and lost 1-6 :p

Strange the online mode doesn't have some sort of points ranking system like Mario Kart or Smash to try pair you with players of similar rank (unless it does but is not visible).

FYI, if anyone having difficulty keeping track of your players when action gets hectic like I was, go into options and turn on Visual Aides. It puts some extra icons above each character I find I'm not losing track as much with it on. Especially if other team has similar characters to me.

2 hours ago, Mokong said:

Was playing one guy and was really enjoying it as were having some close games, won but single goal difference so we kept having rematches. In one game I scored in 17 seconds and the game ended 1-0 haha.

Then I played someone else and lost 1-6 :p

This even happens to me when playing with people from here. Lots of close games with one or two goals in it, then someone wins 6-0. 

The game difficulty did ramp up a bit but nothing too taxing. It did highlight just how cheap the AI can be in the game though. In some matches the AI would just stroll up to my keeper, do a normal shot and it would go in and yet when I tried to score against their keeper using power shots he would just smile and bat the ball away. Also, I had a match where I was 3-2 up with 25 seconds left on the clock. The AI kicked off, shot straight away and it went it from the kick off area. I then kicked off, the AI got a Star and the Hyper Strike power up spawned right next to them. They then used the Star and pulled off a perfect Hyper Strike to win the game. That's Mario kart levels of garbage right there.

With these cups now done, that's it for the single player offering of the game, which is severely lacking in content. For all intents and purposes, they may as well made this an online only game. I couldn't remember what was on offer in Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii so I had a look to see what the game offered. It has a good set of unlockables to obtain, as well as in game achievements. It also had a challenge mode and 17 football arenas. All of this, as well as the standard online and campaign modes. This game is certain a massive set back in terms of content and I don't think the 10 characters that they are going to drip players with makes much of a difference. It needs extra game modes.

So, yeah, not much to the game at all. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

To be fair, neither of the two previous Strikers games had much in the way of single player content either.  You had the basic championship mode and then the 12 challenges in Strikers Charged and that’s it.

It was always all about the multiplayer with Strikers.