NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (24th June)

Seems like Bernadetta has similar moves to Ashe (as I predicted), but very unique animations otherwise. Interesting. There's also the possibility that Dorothea, Hubert, and Linhardt will have unique movesets from each other, despite all of them being mages.

(The weirdest part was Caspar not being a brawler, despite that being his preferred class. But he still punches, despite wielding an axe..? And the eff happened to his hair!?)

Anyway, now that the students each have three distinct designs, it's time to rate and compare their looks pre-timeskip, post-timeskip, and these... midskip(?) designs:

Spoiler

Edelgard: Post > Pre > Mid
Hubert:     Post > Pre > Mid
Dorothea: Post > Mid > Pre
Bernie:      Mid > Pre > Post
Ferdie:      Mid > Pre > Post
Petra:        Post > Mid > Pre
Caspar:     Pre > Post > Mid
Linhardt:    Post > Mid > Pre

Spoiler

Dimitri:       Post > Pre > Mid
Dedue:      Mid > Post > Pre
Mercedes: Mid > Pre > Post
Ashe:         Post > Mid > Pre
Felix:          Mid > Post > Pre
Anette:       Post > Mid > Pre
Sylvain:      Mid > Pre > Post
Ingrid:         Pre > Mid > Post

Ironically, it's the house leaders that look worse overall in these new designs. Makes some sense, as their original looks were already so strong.

Looking forward to seeing the Golden Deer.

Did they say if class changing was limited to the original character do not steal? The unique animations don't look like they should be able to change class. Unless it's for their preferred class?

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Did they say if class changing was limited to the original character do not steal? The unique animations don't look like they should be able to change class. Unless it's for their preferred class?

I get the feeling that some more important characters like Byleth and the house leaders might have a class and moveset all of their own that no-one else can use.

It'd be weird if just any schmo could use that whippy sword, y'know?

And here's the Golden Deer showcase vid.

Guessing the DLC class is going to be... DLC?

The Deer are here! :bouncy:

Raphael finally gets the glow-up he deserved. We see proper displays of raw strength! Plus, he finally confirmed the Brawler class/style.

Ignatz be playin' Splatoon in another game. Not a fan of his new look, but it is an apt in-between look for his previous designs.

Marianne with her hair down looks weird, but not bad. Love that Dorte is just an attack, instead of a ride.

The Deer have shown a lot of personality with these animations. Love it.

Black Eagles (Hide contents)

Claude:  Post > Pre > Mid
Hilda:      Mid > Post > Pre
Lorenz:   Mid > Pre > Post
Ignatz:     Post > Pre > Mid
Raphael: Pre > Mid > Post
Marianne:Post > Mid > Pre
Lysithea:  Mid > Post > Pre
Leonie:    Post > Mid > Pre

You can trust these opinions, I'm biased as fuck.

No way, Ignatz's new design is way better. His post design is a downgrade. 

It does make sense as an evolution for the character: originally, he starts out as a cheery choir boy, and he turns into a more confident, composed adult. This in-between feels like his awkward tween years, or maybe his early uni days, where he's stuck at a job he hates (he's dressed like a knight, so that tracks). In that sense, I only like it least because he looks unhappier than at other points in his life.

...Or maybe it's really the messy hair, not a fan.

Welp, I'm likely to go with Golden Deer first.

Granted, my only point of reference are these trailers, and which one has the upside down guy. These look the most fun with that painter aesthetic and the random horse summoning.

Even if there are cases where I'll have to double up on classes, there still seems to be more variety then the first Warriors based on those trailers.

My confidence in purchasing this is rising.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

"Final trailer" has dropped.

This gets more fleshed out cutscenes than Three Houses.

Spoiler

DLC Grey Wolf class students are in!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

A demo is available as well.

I missed that because I watched the Japanese trailer because I came across that one first.

Weird hearing Byleth saying more than 1 sentence. What's interesting is that they must read the Three Houses save file because Byleth's name was prefilled with the name from my Golden Deer run.

I was a bit concerned the story was going to be a retelling of Three Houses and it seems it is. Hopefully it's going to be different enough. I'm half expecting then to play a Uno reverse card and it turns out Shez is actually the bad guy.

Although the game has already poked fun at itself a couple if times already. It's nice to have another game with the same characters.

Sad to say, won't be able to try the demo as it comes with awful timing (won't have time today, and then I'll be on holidays until the 19th).

I'm hearing interesting tidbits about the plot presented so far (only the bits), and it sounds like they're speedrunning through the parts that happened in the original :heh: I'm guessing the story is pretty much mostly for those who already played Three Houses.

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Sad to say, won't be able to try the demo as it comes with awful timing (won't have time today, and then I'll be on holidays until the 19th).

I'm hearing interesting tidbits about the plot presented so far (only the bits), and it sounds like they're speedrunning through the parts that happened in the original :heh: I'm guessing the story is pretty much mostly for those who already played Three Houses.

I'd say that's better because at least you won't be waiting to be able to play more.

Already at the mid-skip. The events are different but the story still goes the same way?

Seems like the students can class change but they have preferred classes. Not actually been able to change classes yet though. 

15 minutes ago, Ike said:

Seems like the students can class change but they have preferred classes. Not actually been able to change classes yet though. 

Yeah, I've only done the prologue, and it says that some important characters (such as Zesh? That's not the right spelling, is it?) get a special class only they can use.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

(such as Zesh? That's not the right spelling, is it?)

You mean Shez, right?

4 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

You mean Shez, right?

Yep, that's it. Stupid name.

Dig the character though!

After Age of Calamity ditched them, that constant feeling of never finishing quickly enough has come flooding back to me. It's always the time!

I'm hoping Claude will get to unlock a unique class for himself. Shez has one right now, but it would be strange if the house leaders weren't offered the same opportunity.

Still playing the demo (it's surprisingly meaty, still on the prologue), so I'll give more thoughts when I'm done.

We've seen his Barbarossa class in trailers so I would think so.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

We've seen his Barbarossa class in trailers so I would think so.

I literally just unlocked "Wyvern Master" which the game points out only Claude can use, so that's nice.

• Haha 1

Right, demo done. Here are some of my thoughts.

• The class system is interesting. Outside of some important characters getting exclusive classes (Shez and Claude, for example), everyone can use almost any class.
  • The class determines the character's moveset, with more advanced classes getting more options for combos. Assuming that Edelgard, Dimitri, and Byleth also have exclusive classes, I make that 16 different movesets so far. It's a promising start, but..
  • Now this is just me conjecturing, but if there's a way to eventually get every character through plot-relevant shenanigans, or some kind of New Game +, there's certainly gonna be no way to avoid the dreaded moveset clone situation. We're already up to 26 characters across all three houses, plus Byleth! Unless the advanced and master classes have even more split path choices, which I somewhat doubt.
  • Shez's exclusive class, Fleugal, has a silly name, which belies the fact that it's immensely superior to every other class so far! It feels like unlocking Lyn in the first FE Warriors! Only Lyn's the main character now! It's nutso how fluid it is!
  • Characters are now differentiated by the passive abilities they have. Stops everyone blending into each other, at least. I'm a particular fan of Ignatz's paint shenanigans and Lorenz's Rose emergency counter.
  • They kept the weapon triangle! That's one hell of a pleasant surprise! Really helps this feel more strategic compared to Hyrule Warriors. AI controlled characters are also relatively competent again, provided you don't send them to a disadvantageous fight. It was my favourite thing in the first game.
  • I am completely lost on the plot. The game makes no attempt to fill people who didn't play Three Houses in on what's going on. Luckily, I'm never playing Three Houses, so I don't mind. All that matters is war is on, and I need to kill thousands of soldiers with 4-8 young adults at a time. Gotcha!
  • The Gatekeeper hasn't shown up yet. Suspicous. He's totally gonna be an optional joke character.

Sorry, Gatekeeper is in Edelgard’s route. Apparently he’s originally from the Empire.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Sorry, Gatekeeper is in Edelgard’s route. Apparently he’s originally from the Empire.

...bugger...

There's still hope, but...

Another bullet point I forgot to mention: The framerate is better then Age of Calamity, but not as good as FE Warriors 1 on Performance Mode. Servicable, but probably drops when you play 2 player splitscreen.

EDIT: Oh, and that one guy who served as Golden Deer's teacher in the prologue, Jeritza(?). He obviously has the same voice actor as the grizzly bear from Beastars and it's all I hear!

Edited by Glen-i

OK, yeah. I never would've guessed that was him! That dude has amazing range, and between Monster Hunter Rise and now, this. It's great that he's getting some proper gigs!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this