NEurope
Ronnie

Nintendo Direct : 09 / 02 / 22 (10pm UK time)

The next Smash is going to have to allow Kirby to inhale - and then become - all the items now.

Of the games shown Kirby is the only one I'd definitely get. There's some I would be more inclined to if I was still living with others (Sports and Strikers for example). May pick up Advance Wars if its ever cheap enough.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

So yeah, the wait continues for original stuff from Nintendo. :hmm:
They seem to be playing it super safe at the moment, which is disappointing.

Gotta agree.
It's no secret that I've no interested in Nintendo anymore, but man oh man do I always watch their Directs in the hopes of something new.

I have to give them a lot of credit, though: They know their audience and they know what it wants: same old, same old. That's exactly what they're providing and it seems to work wonders. I'd do the same if I had a business :D 

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

same old, same old

That's what happens when you have multi-million selling iconic franchises that the world adores. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Kirby, Smash. In addition to all the new IP they release every year or so.

29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Vending Machine Kirby and the like say hi :laughing:

c8098106050b1e91bd4f6d92a8a5c72e

Is it just me or is this treading on the ground that Mario already walked over in Odyssey? Basically "put your hat on the daft thing to become the daft thing."

While the Kirby game looked like fun I couldn't help but think they were making it almost a Mario 2.0 now, whereas before Kirby had felt like more of a thing of its own.

Overall the Direct seemed fine, if a little lacking in properly new and exciting content. I can't quite figure out a few choices though - Splatoon 3? Who is asking for this at this point? I know its a popular game but does it need sequel after sequel? Isn't it mostly based around individual multiplayer levels - which could be DLC at this point? And Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - there's another sequel that probably wasn't needed. They've already had Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in a fairly short space of time. 

It can't just be me thinking they could do with branching out a little and shelving these series for now, and reimagining other series that have been forgotten?

Edited by Sheikah

nintendodirect09022022roundupbanner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct 09/02/2022 Roundup

Now up on the main page.

Press release, and video in the article.

As far as Nintendo Direct's go? It was pretty good. :peace:

Nothing really unexpected, but some well-received announcements, taken at face-value.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Is it just me or is this treading on the ground that Mario already walked over in Odyssey?

Isn't it more a case of Odyssey borrowing from Kirby? Sucking up enemies and stealing their powers.

17 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Splatoon 3? Who is asking for this at this point? I know its a popular game but does it need sequel after sequel?

By the time it comes out the previous game will have released over 5 years ago, that's plenty of time for a multiplayer shooter. Hard to judge how worth it this one will be without more info on what's included.

20 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

And Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - there's another sequel that probably wasn't needed.

I've not played any of them so can't speak to that but again it will have been 5 years since the previous new title. The trailer's also gotten a similar number of views on YouTube as Switch Sports and MK8 Deluxe DLC, so I think it's pretty popular.

22 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Is it just me or is this treading on the ground that Mario already walked over in Odyssey? Basically "put your hat on the daft thing to become the daft thing."

You're definitely not the only one who thought that... Yeah, this is pretty much the same mechanic.

Anyway.  I think that this Direct pretty much kills the idea that Switch 2 will be coming out in 2023; thanks to the Mario Kart 8 DLC roadmap.

That also means that BOTW 2, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 will all likely be coming out on the current Switch after all; and that Switch 2 is probably targetting November 2024 now.  Yes, that means that I was wrong in my assumption; and yes, that would mean that Switch 1 would be trucking along for almost EIGHT YEARS without a successor (That's almost the entire N64 AND Gamecube lifespans combined!).

I still stand by the belief that these games (and Xenoblade 3, Switch Sports & Splatoon 3) are all being wasted on the current Switch model though.  The current Switch simply doesn't need these games.  They would've been much better utilised as launch window titles for the next console.  Now Nintendo will have basically no major system sellers in the pipeline until the next mainline 3D Mario game (which probably won't be ready until November 2024).

I think Nintendo is making a big mistake here.  They're waiting too long to release a successor, Switch hardware sales will be dead in the water by then, and 3rd party support will peter off into nothing as the cross-gen period comes to an end.

If there's anything that's gonna cost them their future, it's this.  They're waiting far too long to put out a successor.

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They're waiting too long to release a successor, Switch hardware sales will be dead in the water by then

You know what could kickstart hardware sales in a situation like that? A brand new console.

Anyway I think it'll be a transition, there'll be a little overlap between the two systems but more akin to the 3DS/Switch overlap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Isn't it more a case of Odyssey borrowing from Kirby? Sucking up enemies and stealing their powers.

Perhaps, but this feels more similar. If you look at that GIF of Kirby inhaling the car, he literally is becoming a hat for the car and then controlling the clunky car, which is like what Mario was doing by capping things.

With Kirby it has usually been about copying powers - you were still playing as Kirby but with an altered moveset (i.e. you were never just the thing you swallowed, you were a Kirby-fied version). Admittedly the ability to copy powers is still there, but the capping aspect looks to be lifted from Mario Odyssey. Looking at the trailer for the new Kirby game it does look and feel a lot more Mario-like, too. Like they are trying to turn Kirby into more of a Mario game than have it be its own thing.

By the time it comes out the previous game will have released over 5 years ago, that's plenty of time for a multiplayer shooter. Hard to judge how worth it this one will be without more info on what's included.

I've not played any of them so can't speak to that but again it will have been 5 years since the previous new title. The trailer's also gotten a similar number of views on YouTube as Switch Sports and MK8 Deluxe DLC, so I think it's pretty popular.

Splatoon 2 was on Switch, so why a Splatoon 3? Can't they just add more levels to Splatoon 2 like they are doing with Mario Kart? Same as what they are doing with Xenoblade - we've had a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch already! There's so many other series that deserve the spotlight. Are we to take that they're doing this because it's easy money - reusing the same engines, staff and assets?

I will point out that I loved the first Xenoblade Chronicles back on the Wii. It was great. But there is something to be said from less is more. We've had sequels in terms of Xenoblade X, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and now Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I don't feel like the first 2 sequels came close to the original game, to be honest. I know some people love this series but I can't see what good having a third sequel so soon will do for it. I really think it's a series that could benefit from waiting for the next Switch successor before releasing a new title. It's the kind of series that relies on large scale and having an open world; on more powerful hardware it could be quite something.

Edited by Sheikah

I'm absolutely excited for XC3, and can't wait to find out how they're going to merge the two worlds together. But yeah, I also hope it will bring this story to a close, and we'll get something else after that. I'd love a new Baten Kaitos game, or an original IP.

8 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I'm absolutely excited for XC3, and can't wait to find out how they're going to merge the two worlds together. But yeah, I also hope it will bring this story to a close, and we'll get something else after that. I'd love a new Baten Kaitos game, or an original IP.

I am even thinking of getting all the games again and playing them again and to follow the story a bit more, but the first one was so looooong.

30 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Perhaps, but this feels more similar. If you look at that GIF of Kirby inhaling the car, he literally is becoming a hat for the car and then controlling the clunky car, which is like what Mario was doing by capping things.

With Kirby it has usually been about copying powers - you were still playing as Kirby but with an altered moveset (i.e. you were never just the thing you swallowed, you were a Kirby-fied version). Admittedly the ability to copy powers is still there, but the capping aspect looks to be lifted from Mario Odyssey. Looking at the trailer for the new Kirby game it does look and feel a lot more Mario-like, too. Like they are trying to turn Kirby into more of a Mario game than have it be its own thing.

The first thing I thought when I saw the first Kirby trailer is "This kinda looks like Mario 3D World" so I mostly agree with you.

The key difference is that Kirby focuses more on puzzle solving and combat, while Mario is all about the platforming.

32 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Splatoon 2 was on Switch, so why a Splatoon 3? Can't they just add more levels to Splatoon 2 like they are doing with Mario Kart? Same as what they are doing with Xenoblade - we've had a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch already! There's so many other series that deserve the spotlight. Are we to take that they're doing this because it's easy money - reusing the same engines, staff and assets?

I will point out that I loved the first Xenoblade Chronicles back on the Wii. It was great. But there is something to be said from less is more. We've had sequels in terms of Xenoblade X, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and now Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I don't feel like the first 2 sequels came close to the original game, to be honest. I know some people love this series but I can't see what good having a third sequel so soon will do for it. I really think it's a series that could benefit from waiting for the next Switch successor before releasing a new title. It's the kind of series that relies on large scale and having an open world; on more powerful hardware it could be quite something.

Maybe something is going on with the Switch 2, some problems and they have decided to put the games on this Switch. Maybe they are doing something bigger for the new Switch, but I do agree that there are questions what could they be doing. 

The only thing that is left now would be a new Mario 3D and maybe 2D, as I don't think that they can build a new Zelda game so fast. Maybe Mario Kart 9, but then why all these tracks now..... (maybe it was easiest way to improve the offering for the online subscription as that game has sold the most).

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

The first thing I thought when I saw the first Kirby trailer is "This kinda looks like Mario 3D World" so I mostly agree with you.

The key difference is that Kirby focuses more on puzzle solving and combat, while Mario is all about the platforming.

Exactly.  Forgotten Land is more of a Bayonetta-esc Stylish Action game than a Super Mario 3D World style platformer.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The key difference is that Kirby focuses more on puzzle solving and combat

And the importance of kissing your friends to give them life

18 hours ago, Julius said:

Heck of a Direct, and as always, love being here to react to a Direct with you guys! :peace:

Likewise :heart:

kYdZYGv.jpg

(I found this pic by chance yesterday. Felt apropos)

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Forgotten Land is more of a Bayonetta-esc Stylish Action game

... What are the similarities you're seeing between these two games, exactly?

Other than the kissing, I mean

• Haha 4
  • Weird 1

40 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Modern Kirby games are less of a platformer and more of a combat focused game. Kinda like Bayonetta.

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

When you get to The True Arena, you will understand...

This is how I feel reading through these Direct threads.

un01w6mj72h81.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

20 hours ago, Ashley said:

The next Smash is going to have to allow Kirby to inhale - and then become - all the items now.

If they're to do that, Kirby could at long last find a worthy adversary in Mario if he has Cappy. 

RACE TO POSSESSION!

4 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

If they're to do that, Kirby could at long last find a worthy adversary in Mario if he has Cappy. 

RACE TO POSSESSION!

It'll look a bit like this:

• Haha 2
  • Weird 2

On 09/02/2022 at 10:53 PM, Sméagol said:

I'll post a full reaction tomorrow. In short: lots of surprises, but many which I don't care about (like No Man's Sky). Kirby still looks awesome, and it was all worth it for Strikers, Mario Kart dlc and especially Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Ey, while we're young!

Sonic Waiting GIF - Sonic Waiting Toofast - Discover ...

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Ey, while we're young!

Sonic Waiting GIF - Sonic Waiting Toofast - Discover ...

Somebody's making me work I see! .. Alright, alright.

January 2022 Direct reactions

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (24-06-2022) - Nope - As a fan of Three Houses and Fire Emblem in general, of course I'm going to skip this because it's a Warriors game.
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (08-04-2022) - No - I have one of them on the DS, and to be honest, wasn't a huge fan of it, so I'm skipping this.
  • No Man's Sky (Summer 2022) - No - The first of many (unwanted) surprises. I've heard they fixed all the problems, but I'm pretty sure the game's simply not for me, being a crafting grindfest.
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League Football (10-06-2022) - Definitely - Aside from the Mario Kart games, the Striker games were always my favourites from the Mario Sport games. I didn't care for golf, and tennis was ok. But I've got both previous games, so I'll get this one as well.
  • Splatoon 3 (Summer 2022) - Defintely - Loved the previous game, and can't wait to do some more co-op with you guys.
  • Front Mission 1st: Remake (Summer 2022) - Maybe - I'm always up for some turn based strategy, this could be interesting. Not familiar with the originals.
  • Disney Speedstorm (Summer 2022) - No - I have Mario Kart, and it's (spoiler) getting 48 new tracks, I think I'm good. Plus nothing good can come from their business model.
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (20-04-2022) - No - Unwanted surprise №2, why did they even bother with this? This looks like a straight port from the Wii version. I've got the Wii version, and didn't mind the inferior graphics back then, but holy shit, this looks bad. Plus plenty of stuff has happend in Star Wars world, so I'm also not sure why they bring an old game from the expanded universe. This doesn't make sense on many levels. I liked it, but I'm not interested in it now, or in its sequel which I've never played.
  • Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection (17-02-2022) - No - I liked the first Assassin's Creed, the only one I've ever played. I was interested in the sequel, but never got around to it. And suddenly there were hundreds. I just can't be bothered at this point.
  • Super Deformed Gundam Battle Alliance (2022) - No - I'm not a Gundam fan. I mean, maybe I should give the anime a try some day, but I think I've got enough choice of RPG's so I'll be skipping this one.
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamer's Edition (07-04-2022) - Maybe - Speaking of RPGs.. I still haven't played Trigger properly, so I'm not sure why I should bother with this when I've have plenty of RPGs to play. But it seems to be a classic, so it may give it a chance one day. It looks terrible though.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (25-03-2022) - Definitely - Still looks great. I'm happy they're going all out for a Kirby game for once.
  • MLB The Show 22 (05-04-2022) - No - Don't give a shit about baseball.
  • Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece (now) - No - Don't give a shit about Kingdom Hearts.
  • Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series (08-07-2022) - No - It looks ok, but I don't feel the need for another platformer, and I don't have any nostalgia for it.
  • Portal: Companion Collection (2022) - No - And another big but unwanted surprise! Wonder what Valve is up to, especially with their Steam Deck out.. It's a classic of course, but one which I bought on the original Orange Box 15 years ago. Never played the sequel, but I'll get it in a Steam Sale one day.. Co-opping could be fun, but I'd rather (re)play this with M+K , if I'm ever going to. I have no need for this on Switch.
  • LIVE A LIVE (22-07-2022) - Maybe - Never heard of it. Again, there's plenty of choice in RPGs, so not sure why I should bother. That said, Story sounds cool.
  • Nintendo Switch Sports (29-04-2022) - No - I was one of the few who was pissed at having Wii Sports included in the bundle, would never have bought it otherwise. It did get some use back then at parties, getting some casuals to play tennis, but I know this isn't going to happen with Switch Sports. I have no interest in the sport games, and there are better party games out there, which I'm not sure if I'll ever need again (unfortunately).
  • Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythm Festival (2022) - Unlikely - They always look like fun, but I play less and less these days, and there are plenty of games to play, so I'm unlikely to ever get around to these.
  • Triangle Strategy (04-03-2022) - Definitely - I've already got it on my wishlist, there's nothing more to say about it.
  • Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course (30-06-2022) - Yes - Still waiting for that physical.
  • Metroid Dread update (now) - Yes - It's still on my backlog of games to buy. But I don't have a need to make the game harder or easier.
  • EarthBound & Earthbound Beginnings (now) - Maybe - Too much to play. I love how they're quirky and have a totally different vibe compared to other RPGs, and I love to see a modern sequel with that same vibe, but at the moment, I have no need for more RPGs, so I'm unlikely to start this any time soon.
  • Zombie Army 4: Dead War (26-04-2022) - Most likely not - Those few second barely show anything, but I think I heard this was a fun game to co-op. I'd need to see more, but I don't think I'm looking for a shooter co-op right now.
  • GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon (now) - No - Again, video is too short, but it looks like gameplay could be ok, but I really don't like the visuals. Not sure if it's the artstyle, or the engine failing to properly do the artstyle justice, and I also don't think I really want another action platformer right now.
  • Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami Chronicles (10-06-2022) - No - I'm guessing this is a fighter? I still haven't seen anything of the anime, so this isn't doing anything for me.
  • LEGO Brawls (June 2022) - No - Ehm no, I'll spend my money (and time) on actual Lego instead.
  • Two Point Campus (17-05-2022) - No - I don't know what I'm looking at. If looks like a sim of some kind. It doesn't look interesting.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC - (18-03-2022) - Yes - It's a bit late, but good news nonetheless!
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (September 2022) - HELL YEAH BABY - Lots of suprises this Direct, but most of which I didn't care about. This one however! I absolutely loved XC2, the first one which I've never played on Wii a little less, but I can't wait to find out how they're going to merge the two stories! The biggest thing for me this direct, and realy looking forward to it.

That took some time @darksnowman, hope you're happy! :indeed:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh and, these weren't mentioned here were they? I saw mention of 2 games in the Japanese Direct which weren't in ours.

The RPG could be interesting? But again, plenty of RPGs. I'm actually digging the FMV detective though!

• Like 1