NEurope
Ronnie

Nintendo Direct : 09 / 02 / 22 (10pm UK time)

You are bloody quick!

CET time and a sensible date format:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

OK, now that Legends: Arceus is out...

Gimme that Explorers DX! It's starting to get to the point where I'm jonesing for another Mystery Dungeon. People need to see where Legends nicked a lot of its ideas from.

A completely new entry would also be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a feeling this would be announced today so I stayed home to wait for it. Looking forward to it! Silksong?

Since I'm on paternity leave and have no plans except for going to the Zoo Thursday, I might stay up to watch it live.

Edited by MindFreak

I am in no way staying up until that time because I'm old but it'll give me something to watch while making breakfast on Thursday. 

I have zero expectations because I'm not a masochistic. 

• Haha 1

I just got a positive covid test, so if I'm not shaking with fever I have alll the time in the world. Looking forward to yet another direct here :)

• Sad 2

I'll post some hopes and expectations after I finish work, but for now, all I want to throw out there is that Link has appeared in some form in every Nintendo Direct to take place in February since the launch of the Switch: in 2018 he was front and centre alongside Mario for the announcement of Smash Bros. Ultimate; in 2019 he was in the announcement for the remake of Link's Awakening; and in 2021 he was in the announcement for Skyward Sword HD. 2020 was the year of the Great Nintendo Direct Drought. 

Naturally, this all means that Majora's Mask is going to shadow drop on the Switch Online Expansion Pass :p

9 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

I just got a positive covid test, so if I'm not shaking with fever I have alll the time in the world. Looking forward to yet another direct here :)

Take it easy, hope you get better / don't get hit too hard by it! :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You are bloody quick!

You're no slouch yourself!

20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

OK, now that Legends: Arceus is out...

Gimme that Explorers DX! It's starting to get to the point where I'm jonesing for another Mystery Dungeon. People need to see where Legends nicked a lot of its ideas from.

A completely new entry would also be acceptable.

Do they do Pokémon info in these presentations?
New Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer for me if you please.

------------------

Sports Story? That'd be in a nindie vid wouldn't it? And Another Code will be saved for E3. Hmm. I hope they just say Advance Wars is on track, Zelda is delayed to 2023 then get to the Kirby 30th goodness, finish with a cringe-tastic demo of the 1-2 Switch sequel and we'll call it a night.

Any other surprises that are peppered throughout will be welcome, such as DLC for Mario Kart 8 coming as part of the NSO Expansion Pack.

10 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

You're no slouch yourself!

Do they do Pokémon info in these presentations?
New Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer for me if you please.

------------------

Sports Story? That'd be in a nindie vid wouldn't it? And Another Code will be saved for E3. Hmm. I hope they just say Advance Wars is on track, Zelda is delayed to 2023 then get to the Kirby 30th goodness, finish with a cringe-tastic demo of the 1-2 Switch sequel and we'll call it a night.

Any other surprises that are peppered throughout will be welcome, such as DLC for Mario Kart 8 coming as part of the NSO Expansion Pack.

No Pokemon game has ever been announced in a Direct, outside of a Pokemon specific Direct.

Edited by Dcubed

Dreams:

- Silksong
- EPD Tokyo 3D Mario game
- Brand new 2D Zelda
- Pilotwings

Expectations:

- Splatoon 3
- New Xenoblade reveal
- Kirby NSO game
- Wind Waker HD / Twilight Princess HD double pack, releasing this Summer

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

No Pokemon game has ever been announced in a Direct, outside of a Pokemon specific Direct.

Bingo.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Expectations:

- Splatoon 3

Yes, this seems realistic! I'm looking forward to an update on Splatoon 3. :yay: 

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Bingo.

I can dream, damn it!

It is starting to get around that time though, so I expect at least an announcement some time this year.

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can dream, damn it!

It is starting to get around that time though, so I expect at least an announcement some time this year.

Right on! Tomorrow's Direct could be when they buck the trend. :peace: 

Awesome, I had a feeling we'd get one this week! 

Don't really have any solid expectations, we'll undoubtedly see a deep dive into Kirby and probably a new trailer for Splatoon, signs point towards a new game from Monolithsoft which would be incredible but I won't let my hopes get too out of hand.

Letting my imagination run wild for a second though, a trailer for BOTW 2 with a title reveal would obviously be great, as would a tease of Metroid Prime 4 and a bit more gameplay of Bayonetta 3 would be ideal.

Might as well throw Silksong in there too... 

Yeah, there was definitely something in the air about a Direct coming this week!

Right then, let's dig in :D

The Fortress of Expectations

Despite being a meaty Direct at 40 minutes, this early in the year, with the focus on the first half of 2022 and with an E3/a summer Direct surely in the works...I'm going to keep my expectations in check. I don't expect too many new reveals here. 

The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will not be present, nor does it need to be. At best we get a mention that we'll get more details in the summer, but if there's going to be an announcement of a delay alongside some new footage of that game, I'm not expecting it until June. I also don't think that Hollow Knight: Silksong will be here either (sorry guys - I mean, I hope I'm wrong!), I think that's one they're going to hold onto tightly and then have it appear at this year's E3/summer Direct, maybe even a shadow drop like the first game was. I also don't think we see the long rumoured Metroid Prime HD / Collection here, if we get that this year that seems like E3 bait too, for a September or October release. If we're getting Prime 4 in the next year and a half that is, which, uh, I'm not confident about. 

In terms of Nintendo themselves, I am expecting the announcement of Monolith Soft's next game, though whether that's something Xenoblade or a new IP entirely I'm not too sure, but it's time; I know they lend a hand every chance they get to other studios within Nintendo, but it's time for whatever's next. And speaking of what's next, there was too much smoke for there to be no fire around the rumours for this game last year: let's see a Donkey Kong game turn up here. 

beats chest and wails like a gorilla

Naturally we're going to see more of Kirby and The Forgotten Land, what with it being out next month, and I think we'll also see Triangle Strategy turn up too. And we'll get a trailer for Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp which actually states it's April release date, because that's been an open secret for months now. I expect Splatoon 3 to release at some point over the summer, so I expect that to be here too. 

Oh, and a release date for Omori would be big enough I think for a Direct proper, so let's throw "Spring 2022" out of the window and get a hard date please! Speaking of indies, we haven't heard a peep out of Bear & Breakfast since it's delay into the first half of 2022, so I'll say I expect it...because I want it, and it's not totally implausible. 

Lastly, Majora's Mask is releasing on the Expansion Pass this month, and while it could just shadow drop as they normally do, it seems too good an opportunity to not bring it up. Plus, Link always turns up in February. 

The Valley of Hopeless Dreams

Well, we're now in the year of the 35th anniversary of Final Fantasy, and the final game releasing in the Pixel Remasters collection, Final Fantasy VI, is scheduled to be released this very month. So you all know what that mea–

FINAL FANTASY PIXEL REMASTERS COLLECTION FOR NINTENDO SWITCH LET'S ¡GOOOOOOOOOO!

Okay, but in all seriousness, this is the first of four realistic opportunities I think we have for this announcement this year, because, again, the PC/mobile releases are about to complete with VI releasing this month and it being the first big event of 2022, the year of the 35th anniversary for the Final Fantasy franchise. The other three opportunities I think there are for this announcement are at E3/whatever this summer brings; a potential Final Fantasy-only presentation -- we've also got XVI on the way, there are rumours of a Tactics remaster, and it's also the 25th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII, so we could see a Remake Part II tease somewhere throughout the year; or at The Game Awards. Why The Game Awards? Because the actual anniversary of the series is on December 17th, so a shadow drop just before then or an announcement of them dropping on the 17th would make sense at an event that takes place every December. 

That was long. I apologise. 

Anyways, I'll jump on the bandwagon with @Ronnie because I'm hoping for a Wind Waker / Twilight Princess double pack too (despite the potential existence of one being a huge blow to my Wii U pick-up a few months back). With Majora's Mask coming to the Expansion Pass this month, these are the only two 3D Zelda games not on Switch, so...yeah, we need them on the console. 

You know what? Same goes for Mario, while we wait for news on Odyssey 2 / whatever is next for the plumber: DLC / expanded release of 3D All-Stars to include Super Mario Galaxy 2. Do you sweaty Goomba-looking Nintendo higher-ups really think you can get away with the old runaround by not including it in that collection in the first place, huh?! 

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

Unfortunately I don't expect Explorers DX here, sorry @Glen-i, but I do think we see a Pokémon Presents within the next six weeks, as I'm sure that they'll have some Legends: Arceus DLC to announce, so it'll show up there...right? Right?! 

So I'm going to dream for something else, or rather, some things, which have also graced a two-screened Nintendo console: Dragon Quest IV - VI and Dragon Quest VIII Remastered (also coming to other consoles, it'll have the orchestrated OST but the additions of the 3DS version). Because last year's Dragon Quest anniversary quite frankly sucked, so let's see it S-E. 

I swear I don't have Stockholm syndrome...

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chooo choooo!

I think we'll see more of Advance Wars and the Kirby game as they're the next in line.

I think we might get a Kirby Game & Watch with it being his anniversary.

Maybe some Pokemon Legends Arceus DLC?

Something Metroid related after how well Dread did?  Or perhaps they'll do a surprise announce of another sequel for a franchise which has been away a while?  Or is that too close to Advance Wars coming out.

200.gif

I'm gonna guess a new Fire Emblem game will be shown and Persona 4 Golden will finally be revealed for Switch.

Personally, I just want to see what's in store for Kirby's anniversary and a little more of Advance Wars. Anything else will be a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I predict everyone will be disappointed, then pleased, then back to disappointed when Nintendo don't reveal any big names in this. Then at the end, they will drop a mega BotW2 "to be released right after this presentation" and everyone will then wake up from their dreams. LOL

OK, so I expect the normal kind of thing. Start of with a small new game reveal, not necessarily from Nintendo, then a good 10 minutes of games we already know about, stick a new Nintendo game in the middle, come on Strikers of F-Zero (I won't hold my breath) some more info on games we know, then the usual "that's all for now....oh wait just one more thing" megaton announcement.

• Like 1

Given that we know lots of big releases on the way already (Triangle Strategy, Kirby, Splatoon, Mario + Rabbids, Advance Wars, Bayonetta 3, BOTW2 etc), I'm not sure how many reveals this will have, but fingers crossed.

I'm not expecting Kirby. Feel like there might be a dedicated Kirby one early next month to talk about the game and anniversary. Direct to Poyo. 

Would love to see something of Metroid Prime 4 & Pikmin 4, not expecting either.

Anything that gets me to play the Switch would be welcome.

• Like 1

Something new from Monolith would be awesome, even if it's not Xenoblade related.

Would love more BotW2 and Bayonetta 3 info but they said it would focus on the first half of this year and I wouldn't expect them till near end of the year.... but a nice stinger at the end of the direct would be a nice surprise :)

• Like 1

Oh wow, I actually thought we might get one next week (previous years had a February Direct closer to the 20th), but I'm not complaining!

The tricky thing is that the last time Nintendo said they'd show games for only a specific certain timeframe, they blatantly disregarded their own disclaimer and showed games with other release dates. With that in mind:

Serious predictions

• Advance Wars trailer. Gimme more!
  • Triangle Strategy, the final showcase
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land showcase
  • Deeper look at Splatoon 3

Hopes and Dreams

• Advance Wars demo. Out now!
  • "The expanded NSO now has the option for a monthly subscription"
  • Timesplitters Collection coming to the Switch
  • Just...please any info on the next Fire Emblem project. They could be working on a Tokyo Mirage Sessions sequel for all I care, I just want to know what's next for the series.

That's pretty much it. Keeping my expectations in check, and hopefully an open mind.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm gonna guess a new Fire Emblem game will be shown

As the local Fire Emblem aficionado, I should address some recent "leaks" that started circulating recently...

Spoiler

There are supposed to be three games in development: a new mainline game, a spin-off of sorts, and a full blown remake that's actually two games in one.

(It should be noted that the last part is the easiest prediction to make. FE4 & FE5 take place around the same time in the same continent, and FE6 & FE7 take place in the same continent as well)

...but on a personal note, I don't believe any of that. Fire Emblem has been historically leak-free, and these rumours feel like a retread of previous unfounded rumours. I recommend they be disregarded.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1