NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Grand Theft Auto VI (2025)

We've finally got the first official confirmation of the next Grand Theft Auto being in active development. From the Rockstar Newswire:

With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9523c9e1e8c76ce97787

And thus continues the growing trend of announcing games in blogs to drive staff hiring. 

Edited by Julius

Rockstar is making a new GTA game now that they're not working on RDR 2.  In other news, water is wet.

Well, RDR 2 took 5-6 years for the entire company combined to make and ~$800 million to produce... So I wouldn't expect GTA 6 to come out until at least 2025... hopefully Take Two won't have gone bankrupt or be bought out by then!

Edited by Dcubed

Hopefully it's a smaller scale than GTA V, but with more building interiors, with more "side jobs" (ambulance, taxi, police, fire, etc). GTA V just felt bland and empty.

Hats off to Rockstar, as it sounds like they have really taken some great actions after the talks of crunch and frat-like behaviour leading up to and following the release of Red Dead Redemption II. 

Also: sounds like we're getting our first playable female character in modern Rockstar games. 

Good stuff. Obviously, we'll need to keep an eye out for updates and the proof will be in the pudding, but the fact that it sounds like the steps they've taken has slowed down production on GTA VI but they're sticking with it seems a good sign that they're committed to these changes. 

Hopefully we continue to see some other AAA studios start to wake up and make similar changes. 

UPDATE: some more details on the game, as well as some details about the changes made at Rockstar. 

Edited by Julius

On 04/02/2022 at 4:18 PM, Cube said:

Hopefully it's a smaller scale than GTA V, but with more building interiors, with more "side jobs" (ambulance, taxi, police, fire, etc). GTA V just felt bland and empty.

I really liked GTA V. Had a lovely time playing it.

Not sure if making it smaller scale is the right thing to do, but the idea of more side jobs and hustles is a great idea.

I've always thought Shadow of Mordor had a wicked mechanic that would work really well in GTA games. The nemesis system. It works amazing in Shadow of Mordor because you basically start from the bottom and work up through the ranks by killing other warriors until you're in charge of your own little army. When you attack and defeat your enemies, they come back stronger and with little perks. E.g. if you killed someone by thrusting your sword into their chest, they come back with strong armour next time. 

The idea of working your way from the bottom until you have your own gang, which you can then use to take on rival gangs is one that just seems like a great fit for a GTA game.

So, maybe one of the biggest leaks in the history of the industry went down earlier today. Bunch of clips posted of a very early, in-development GTA VI, with code and low poly models all over the shop, but might give an idea of some of the ideas they're trying to implement (such as more ways to interact with NPC's). 

And it's been confirmed to be real by Jason Schreier:

Honestly...this sucks.

The announcement was very lackluster (but hey, that's seemingly the industry standard these days, that or a CGI trailer), but Rockstar seemed to be heading in the right direction in terms of representation, treatment of staff, trying to avoid crunch and some of their previous pitfalls, etc. And then a dev build, which is super rough and likely includes some prototype ideas, leaks like this. 

• Thanks 1

Oh shit, I saw a few of these videos earlier on today and assumed they were parodies or piss takes. Didn't realise they were legit early builds!

3 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Oh shit, I saw a few of these videos earlier on today and assumed they were parodies or piss takes. Didn't realise they were legit early builds!

Yeah, apparently the guy leaking everything attempted to blackmail Rockstar...which seemingly didn't go as planned. Looks like Rockstar are trying to file takedowns on YouTube, but once it's out there, well...it's out there ::shrug:

Apparently he's also threatening to leak the source code for GTA V and GTA VI, too. So, unfortunately, it looks like it could still get worse for Rockstar if there's any truth to what he's saying :nono:

Apparantly the hacker is now blackmailing Rockstar for him to not release the source code into the wild... well, it's certainly on brand for the series I suppose!

These guys really underestimate the power of lawyers. I won't be surprised if that guy gets his door kicked in.

Yeah there's no way this ends well for that guy. 

Although you have to laugh at the people on the internet saying it looks rough. No shit!

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

That's Corporate-Speak.

In GTAglish: "that dude dun fucked up 'n he boutta enter a whole new wurld o' pain."

• Haha 1

I’ve mentioned recently my dislike of people leaking information that would be so much better when the developers surprise us.  I’ve deliberately avoided watching any of the leaked stuff and feel for Rockstar on this.  Hope they catch the guy!  (Actually I rather hope Rockstar staff catch him first…!)

• Like 2

I’ve mentioned recently my dislike of people leaking information that would be so much better when the developers surprise us.  I’ve deliberately avoided watching any of the leaked stuff and feel for Rockstar on this.  Hope they catch the guy!  (Actually I rather hope Rockstar staff catch him first…!)
True, but imagine if Cyberpunk (on 360) got leaked in this way. The unreal level of backlash would have led to them improving the game before launch.

Also this is Rockstar, so I don't really have much sympathy for them.
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Totally agree

• Like 1

Schreier with the scoop: Rockstar plans to announce GTA VI as early as this week (I assume he means a logo reveal considering the statement which kicked off this thread) and will release the first trailer for the game in December. 

This comes following Take Two reports earlier in the year having them buckle up for a release of seismic proportions which could only ever possibly have been GTA VI, due to an expected bump in revenue so stupid it'd make your eyes bleed. Probably. 

Anyways, anyone else and I'd say grain of salt, but it's Schreier: the only way I don't see this happening now is if Rockstar just want to spite him. 

That should make millions of gamers happy. Many have been waiting years for the game to be finally revealed.

I'm one of those who want to play this now :p

Loved GTA since early days, even though I didn't really "get" the earlier titles when I was a kid.
GTAIII blew me away back then. And GTA: Vice City was the first game I used mods on, so there's some history :D

I really hope Rockstar puts a lot of effort into the single-player mode and doesn't fall into the "GTA Online 2 is now our main mode because MONEY" corner...

I used to enjoy them but they got far too large for my liking. I found GTA IV to be a slog and so never bothered with GTA V as that was meant to be even bigger.

Fair enough.

I for one, hope that GTA VI will be even bigger than its predecessor :p

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this