NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Playground Rumours

Back before the internet was a thing rumours were harder to debunk and as most of us are millennials this coincided with school so I wanted to know what are some gaming rumours/"facts" you recall from the good old days?

Thinking of the type like "Mew is under the truck in Pokémon" and of course anything your uncle who works for Nintendo said. And did you and your friends ever try and test them out?

49 minutes ago, Ashley said:

"Mew is under the truck in Pokémon"

This was immediately the first thing that came to mind haha. It was a pesky rumour! There was also a rumour that if you sent your Pokémon Red/Blue game with a complete Pokédex to Nintendo, they would give you a real certificate and they could upload Mew to your game.

Another rumour was that Golden Sun would have a lot of random elements in it; randomly generated dungeons and such. Don't think that ever made it into the game?

• Like 1

At mine and @Goafer's school we had the "Hold B + Down" for a better chance to catch a Pokemon in Blue & Red. I didn't realise until years later that this was fairly common but every group seemed to have their own button combination.

• Like 2

Yeah I still do down + b sometimes even though I know it does nothing. 

• Like 1

Being able to unlock Sonic in Smash Bros Melee was a popular one at my school, what with Sonic Adventure 2 being released for GameCube at the time. Naturally, I knew it was BS because the game tells you when you unlock every character, but loads of people insisted on it.

The irony was not lost on me once Brawl rolled around though.

• Like 1

"I watched Power Rangers in Asia, and they're several episodes ahead. There's going to be a purple ranger, an orange ranger, and a gray ranger. Really!"

I think most rumours in my playground were about cartoons and TV shows, there weren't many regarding gaming. The only one I can remember was when me and a friend were 10, had limited access to the internet, and we somehow used that limited time to run into a website that claimed that there was a Pokémon game in development for the PS1. "It'll be based on the Anime, and you'll be able to switch between Ash, Misty, and Brock". We believed that for like a week.

We did hear that about Mew being underneath the truck, but the site that gave us that info also straight up admitted Mew wasn't there when they checked. We found the truck regardless to confirm it, but it's hard to call it a proper rumour when we never truly believed it.

But speaking of rumours, when I was a teenager, some younger kid in my school must've somehow heard about me being an old Gold&Silver master. Unfortunately, he had Pokémon Sapphire... he asked me how he was supposed to catch the golems in Ruby/Sapphire with a Wailord and a Relicanth in specific slots. I thought for sure I was hearing the modern version of the Mew Truck rumours... I would eventually learn that no, Ruby/Sapphire really were just that weird! And I had officially become a sceptic close-minded old man before the age of 17.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

But speaking of rumours, when I was a teenager, some younger kid in my school must've somehow heard about me being an old Gold&Silver master. Unfortunately, he had Pokémon Sapphire... he asked me how he was supposed to catch the golems in Ruby/Sapphire with a Wailord and a Relicanth in specific slots. I thought for sure I was hearing the modern version of the Mew Truck rumours... I would eventually learn that no, Ruby/Sapphire really were just that weird! And I had officially become a sceptic close-minded old man before the age of 17.

Ruby/Sapphire are positively tame compared to how you get Yamask and Farfetch'd to evolve in Sword/Shield. I feel Game Freak have leaned into the rumour mill that revolved around the Game Boy games.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, darksnowman said:

That you could make B. Orchid in KI on the SNES do her flash move towards the camera.

Oh, you mean this one?

It's funny, because an entirely different Mew playground rumour was about when me and my friends were playing Diamond & Pearl in primary school, and it was that you could find Mew's fossil (as seen in the first movie) in the Sinnoh Underground..

Mew-Fossil-mew-pokemon-35599269-300-350.

It would've been cool, and should've been a thing, damn it! 

Also, regarding the capture of Pokémon as @Happenstance mentioned, my generation's version was L, R, L, L+R to imitate the movement and then final satisfying click of the Poké Ball capture animation.

Edited by Julius

Me and a neighbour only discovered the warp whistle in the desert in Super Mario Bros 3 because we were told there were actually three whistles in the game, so we worked together to hunt around the maps until we stumbled across it and celebrated like we’d won an award!

While not a rumour, I fondly recall talking with friends at school to work out the locations of all the Chaos Emeralds hidden in Sonic the Hedgehog on Master System, and between us we finally managed to track them down!

While not quite from the playground, I do remember talking with others and trying to find the Triforce in Ocarina of Time, thanks to this internet hoax.

For me, probably the most brazen rumour was that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (although only ‘Heroes’ back then…) on NES was actually beatable….. No-one at my school managed to prove this one…… 😃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this