NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The 2022 Events Thread: To E3 or Not-E3, Keighley propaganda, Gamescom and more

The Disney & Marvel Games Showcase was announced yesterday, and is scheduled for 21:00 BST/13:00 PT on Friday 9th September during Disney's D23 Expo. 

D23 Expo is about to level up! Disney is streaming the Disney & Marvel GAMES SHOWCASE to fans worldwide on Friday, September 9, at p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET. Be sure to tune in to the showcase, hosted by Kinda Funny's Blessing Adeoye Jr.

The digital showcase will feature incredible new content from Disney & Pixar Games, Marvel Games, Lucasfilm Games, and 20th Century Games. In addition to all-new announcements, fans can expect new reveals from titles including Disney Dreamlight Valley, Marvel's Midnight Suns, and LEGOO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, as well as a sneak peek at an upcoming Marvel ensemble game from Skydance New Media.

Ahead of Gamescom's Opening Night Live landing tomorrow night, Keighley has shared the date for this year's Game Awards:

Did anyone else watch the Gamescom event yesterday evening? What an awful show. If you are going to hold an event like this then at least make sure you have the content to back it up for the 2 hour run time. The whole thing was filled with filler games, random awards and CGI trailers. On a good day, a fair few of the games shown wouldn't have been featured in any conference and it showed what a struggle it was to get any meaningful content for this show. They reminded me of trailers you used to see back in the early 2000s on the SKY gaming channels. 

The live audience clearly weren't impressed with the whole thing either. There were a few instances where Geoff tried to engage with the audience and was met with complete silence. It was both cringe worthy and hilarious at the same time. He done well to quickly move past such moments though.

I'm not sure why he's trying to make these shows a thing when he doesn't have the content to back it up. At this point a lot of publishers are clearly happy to do their own shows/blogs/presentations without the help of a third party.

• Thanks 3

I was in the process of writing what you've just posted and then the "SOMEONE HAS POSTED SOMETHING THAT YOU'RE WRITING YOU DUMB DUMB" pop-up showed up :p 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What an awful show.

Yeah. You're spot on when saying there's no content to back up a 2 hour show...
There just wasn't any need for the show ::shrug:

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not sure why he's trying to make these shows a thing when he doesn't have the content to back it up

Because he needs to be in the spotlight.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

At this point a lot of publishers are clearly happy to do their own shows/blogs/presentations without the help of a third party.

Thank goodness. While I miss the hype around E3, I also can appreciate a 60-90 minute showing once or twice a year per publisher.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did anyone else watch the Gamescom event yesterday evening? What an awful show. If you are going to hold an event like this then at least make sure you have the content to back it up for the 2 hour run time. The whole thing was filled with filler games, random awards and CGI trailers. On a good day, a fair few of the games shown wouldn't have been featured in any conference and it showed what a struggle it was to get any meaningful content for this show. They reminded me of trailers you used to see back in the early 2000s on the SKY gaming channels. 

The live audience clearly weren't impressed with the whole thing either. There were a few instances where Geoff tried to engage with the audience and was met with complete silence. It was both cringe worthy and hilarious at the same time. He done well to quickly move past such moments though.

I'm not sure why he's trying to make these shows a thing when he doesn't have the content to back it up. At this point a lot of publishers are clearly happy to do their own shows/blogs/presentations without the help of a third party.

The guy is a meglomaniac who sees himself as king showman of the industry.  He lives off of being The Hype Man.

Sadly for him, he will forever be The Doritos Pope; nothing more than a cheap spokesman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did anyone else watch the Gamescom event yesterday evening?

Genuinely think it's the first big livestreamed gaming event I've actively decided to not watch live in years. Summer Game Fest was a bust this year (it's only saving grace last year was the Elden Ring trailer), I feel like the TGAs have plateaued in this confusing spot where they're caught between potentially cool reveals and too many ads, and I don't think I've watched a good ONL. 

Happily logged into my gaming-news-only Twitter account and turned notifications on for a couple of hours, then turned them off after. Didn't miss a thing. Caught up on a few reactions but man...yeah, I think I'll be a bit more picky with the events I watch live after this. 

What an awful show. If you are going to hold an event like this then at least make sure you have the content to back it up for the 2 hour run time. The whole thing was filled with filler games, random awards and CGI trailers. On a good day, a fair few of the games shown wouldn't have been featured in any conference and it showed what a struggle it was to get any meaningful content for this show. They reminded me of trailers you used to see back in the early 2000s on the SKY gaming channels. 

I think Gamescom's ONL is in such a weird spot where it's only a couple of months after Summer Game Fest, and so many of the trailers I've seen go up over the last 24 hours are pretty much add-ons for what we saw at SGF this year.

I just don't think there's enough time between the two shows for more big reveals to come around, and like you say, it feels like we've gone backwards if anything now that we're back to getting CGI trailers again. Is that a result of COVID, too many teams seeing other studios start to take up arms and try to desperately onboard devs by releasing such trailers, or is it simply that "well, we've got to aim for SGF or ONL if we want to be noticed during the summer flurry of gaming news, we haven't got a game so here's a CGI trailer"? It's probably a combination of those and more, but I'm just not a fan. 

If there's a six month ago between TGAs and SGF, then ONL only two months after SGF needs to be something different. I don't think it should be about the hype cycle like the TGAs and SGF are, I think it should be focused on actually showing off the games more: demos, interviews, the side stuff we'd typically have seen at the E3s of yesteryear. Bonus points if you then have the connective tissue of announcing a game at SGF, and then showing off a gameplay demo and having developer interviews at ONL. All of this would also free up Keighley a bit because I'm sure while it would still take a lot of time to coordinate, it's going to be nothing compared to chasing developers and publishers for WORLD PREMIERE scoops.

COVID pushed things back a bit in some cases but I think we need to get back to the point we were nearly at before where games are more commonly being announced six months before release, rather than going backwards to CGI trailers which end up being MMOs, and I think something we haven't seen enough is people using taking advantage of this clearly defined runway of SGF > ONL > TGAs and back again to announce, demo, and then release their game; I do think Callisto Protocol has been close to this in fairness, but otherwise it's a pretty random scattershot of things that we see. 

"Anyone here like PlayStation?"

*crickets for a moment*

"...oh did he say PlayStation? Uh yeah I guess" *clap clap clap*

Killed me :laughing:

It's such a difficult one because I think he's trying to go the route of establishing these tentpole events for developers and publishers to turn up at, and the only way to get them to keep coming back, really, is to just keep running them, that's the only way they'll be able to make any marketing plans which target them. 

Problem is, SGF is still relatively new so developers and publishers will have followed along the last few years, but let's say you started developing a game in 2020 and always planned to show it off at SGF, you might not have something ready until 2023 (and, well, E3 is trying to make a comeback so that'll be fun to watch), in that hypothetical scenario Geoff is going to be clutching at straws. ONL is in this absolute no-man's-land of gaming news where nothing really happens in August, and now we're used to bigger events coming along in September (such as a Nintendo Direct or a PlayStation Showcase), so it's a total non-starter. 

Kudos to Keighley, I think he's trying, but as you say, there's just not enough meaningful content being announced or shown off here to really make it worthwhile as a viewer; and we actually care about this stuff. Imagine if you weren't as into gaming and this was the first event you watched live? I think Geoff needs to focus on quality, and if you can't get the big names to show up, screw 'em, just make the show shorter or do something different.

Imagine if The Game Awards were actually about the awards? Cut back on the ads (you're literally there advertising games already out by having an awards show! Time it with sales everywhere and publishers are golden), focus on showing off the gameplay of GOTY contenders, maybe play the game alongside a director or actor or composer and dig into the game a bit, rather than this shallow touch-point of "so yeah Persona 5 wins Best OST, anywho moving along". ONL could be a time to expand on SGF reveals, look back on the summer of gaming news, have interviews to expand on the news (a Phil Spencer interview after the Bethesda acquisition would've been huge!), and just show off more games. It is impossible to make every show a banger when you don't have any control over the content, so adapt and do something else. 

Big developers and publishers are rightly saving things for their own events, and you end up with these events which sometimes start off with a bang or end with one, but are guaranteed to fizzle out somewhere in the middle thanks to the barrage of ads, terribly curated presentation order of trailers which kill the show's pacing (reminder: I FELL ASLEEP DURING SGF THIS YEAR), or a tired audience (two hours is a long time to keep a live audience satisfied, especially when you know there's going to be some dead air!). 

Rant over. They won't change it and I think it's a shame, the actual timing of these shows are perfect for a format different to what they've become. ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The full TGS streaming schedule is up!

FbehXW9WIAAgvto?format=jpg&name=large

All times shown are in JST, so -8 hours for us Brits, so take it from there. This means a lot of the big streams will be around lunch or in the afternoon for us, which is always nice! 

Curiously, I feel like this TGS might be the first worthwhile one in a while, just given how many of these publishers didn't turn up in some form at Not-E3 or during Gamescom's ONL.

Fingers crossed, hopefully that SEGA / Atlus stream treats us to some Yakuza and Persona news... :bouncy:

• Thanks 1

In addition to the TGS slate, NIS America have also announced their own Showcase to take place on 7th September. 

Start your September off with a whole lot of NISA goodness!

Mark your calenders and tune in September 7, 2022 at 8:00 AM PDT / 4:00 PM BST for four new announcements, lots of updates, and an exclusive livestream post-showcase that will take a deep dive into the showcase contents.

UPDATE:

Spoiler

Apparently the site showed the games which are going to be featured, but this has now been fixed. 

Edited by Julius

Square Enix's TGS schedule is up, and both Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Final Fantasy XVI are going to be there in some capacity, as well as most of the other things currently announced on S-E's docket (apart from DQ III Remake and DQ XII :nono:).

Which is to say it looks stacked

:bouncy:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Just give me more Dragon Quest on PS5! NOW!

Edited by drahkon

Man, Ubisoft Forward was garbage. For years Nintendo have shown publishers how to put on a decent digital show and it baffles me that they still trot out awkward presenters and try to stretch out a show.

Also, over the past few years the gaming community have been very vocal about publishers just throwing CGI trailers into a presentation and calling it a day. Thats pretty much what Ubisoft done here. It was ridiculous they showed off the new Creed game with a CGI trailer and then said preorder now. They then done a Marvel and outlined the future of the series with more CGI teaser trailers. Most of show felt like it was an investors meeting.

I honestly hate what has become of this hobby/industry.

• Thanks 1

Wow… Ubisoft really don’t have anything to offer except endless reskins of Assassin’s Creed, huh?

Well, at least Sparks of Hope looks decent… I’m sure it won’t be long until Nintendo headhunts Ubisoft Milan though :p

Edited by Dcubed

Resident Evil showcase has been announced for this week.

I’ve got Resident Evil coming out of my ears at the moment :laughing: but what the hell, I’ll check that out. :grin: 

Nominations for The Game Awards are announced tomorrow evening, 5pm UK time. I haven't played too many new releases this year but I would love to see Xenoblade 3 get a few nominations, it's always been overlooked in the past so it would be incredible if it got a nod for GOTY.

Elden Ring and God of War are nailed on for nominations in the major categories and Horizon is the sort of thing that usually gets awards recognition but besides that I think GOTY nominations are pretty open. Hopefully they don't play it safe like they have done in the past, it would be awesome to see Bayonetta and Kirby in the mix for GOTY. 

11 hours ago, killthenet said:

Nominations for The Game Awards are announced tomorrow evening, 5pm UK time. I haven't played too many new releases this year but I would love to see Xenoblade 3 get a few nominations, it's always been overlooked in the past so it would be incredible if it got a nod for GOTY.

Elden Ring and God of War are nailed on for nominations in the major categories and Horizon is the sort of thing that usually gets awards recognition but besides that I think GOTY nominations are pretty open. Hopefully they don't play it safe like they have done in the past, it would be awesome to see Bayonetta and Kirby in the mix for GOTY. 

I will be very surprised if Elden Ring doesn't win the GOTY award.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I will be very surprised if Elden Ring doesn't win the GOTY award.

I'm 50/50 between Elden Ring and God of War - Elden Ring definitely had a bigger cultural impact, it was all anybody talked about for a few weeks, and Miyazaki has obviously won it before with Sekiro, but God of War also won the top award in 2018 and has the advantage of coming out more recently & being a more focused narrative experience. 

Nibel is up for Content Creator award...baffling. Dude just reposted gaming news on his Twitter account. I'm not sure how that counts as creating content. ::shrug: I very much doubt he'd even be up for this award if not for him quitting Twitter after his Patreon failed to gain any traction.

Yeah, I had the same thought about Nibellion - very weird to give them a nomination. 

Happy to see Xenoblade get recognised in a few categories, it would be incredible to see it win Best Music or GOTY but it faces some stiff competition. 

Stray feels like it's really scraping the bottom of the barrel, was it really that good? Felt like no one was talking about it at release.

26 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I don't know any of those people...

Nibel is the only one I've heard of and that's because a lot of people on Era used him for news. The rest of them...::shrug:

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The rest of them...::shrug:

Not our generation, I guess :p 
We're old :( 

No, YOU'RE OLD! I'm still a young, almost 33-year old man who's got the best years ahead of him. :) *stretches because his back hurts like crazy*

Anyways, Elden Ring will/has to win GotY because it's the best game ever made.

Sign in to follow this