NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The 2022 Events Thread: To E3 or Not-E3, Keighley propaganda, Gamescom and more

So, that Capcom Showcase was much, much, much improved when compared to last year's...yet still left a lot to be desired. 

It was very different to last year in that we didn't get a "host" to return to, but a Direct/State of Play sort of thing where we cycled from one game's to another, and it really helped with the pacing. 

I thought Sunbreak had a really good, meaty 10 minute showing here. A lot of info doled out, but they did such a good job pacing this segment I feel, there was a lot to get through but I don't think it dragged at all and it reflected on the expansion really well I feel. 

Next were just some reminders of pieces of info about things we already knew about: Street Fighter 6, Capcom Fighting Collection, and the 2nd Arcade Stadium. I was really surprised that they didn't want or have anything to show off here for SF6, you'd think a character at least would be a certainty, but I suppose not ::shrug: afterwards Exoprimal had it's best showing I think so far, it just looks like dumb fun, but I think they tried a bit too hard to sell its depth and complexity before; seeing it with a bit of jank here and the screen filled with dinosaurs to the point you can barely see your character just looks fun! 

A Dragon's Dogma 10th Anniversary video was announced for Thursday...to go up at 23:00 BST, as in the same time the Final Fantasy VII Anniversary stream takes place. Oof. The video sounds like it will be more of a reflection on the franchise rather than a hint of a sequel being present, so make that a double oof. And they even rolled out Itsuno for this. Triple oof. Rough times for those fans. 

And then Resident Evil, unsurprisingly, brought it all home. The Winters' Expansion arriving on 28th October comes with Shadows of Rose, set 16 years after the events of Village; new Mercenaries missions; and, most exciting for me as someone who wants to dive into RE but isn't a huge fan of first-person to begin with - let alone horror! - is a Third Person Mode being added to Village. That's...honestly, that's pretty insane for DLC! Then they showed off Resident Evil 4 with the same trailer we saw during the State of Play at the start of the month, apart from a few different shots used at the end, and we got to see in-engine gameplay for about 10 seconds of Ethan walking through a forested area with no HUD. It was weird. And then it was all wrapped up with the next-gen patches for Resident Evil VII, 2, and 3 shadow-dropping. 

Overall: well-paced show with nothing to really shout about other than the Village DLC for RE fans and a demo dropping tomorrow for MH Rise: Sunbreak. I thought it was a vast improvement on last year's show in terms of both content and presentation, but it reminds me of some of Square Enix's past E3's where they didn't really get to shine the spotlight on their games like they should as they showed up elsewhere.

Still got a lot of room to improve, Capcom! 

My Verdict: 6.0/10

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sad to think that today probably would have been the day we had the E3 Nintendo Direct. :( 

Probably would've been the start of the World Cup this week too if it wasn't in Qatar this year :(

I mean at least we can still hope and pray for a Direct this month I suppose, but man, the last week of Not-E3 didn't really have anything remotely close to a great showing this year in Nintendo's absence. I'm still catching up because there was just too much spread across shows which have been so inconsistent in quality (games and presentations) :nono:

Edited by Julius

7 hours ago, Julius said:

Probably would've been the start of the World Cup this week too if it wasn't in Qatar this year :(

Given England's recent performances, that's probably for the best. :p 

• Haha 2

The guy who leaked the Xbox stuff is teasing something for the S-E show tomorrow evening.

Spoiler

People are thinking the coloured squares represent the consoles and the picture of Zack means Crisis Core is hitting them all. If this turns out to be true, as well as FFVIIR Part 2 showing up, I will be over the moon. 

• Like 1

Could also be Evercrisis (which has a remake of Crisis Core within it, which is the first part that's getting released).

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Could also be Evercrisis (which has a remake of Crisis Core within it, which is the first part that's getting released).

Don't ruin the dream!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The guy who leaked the Xbox stuff is teasing something for the S-E show tomorrow evening.

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

People are thinking the coloured squares represent the consoles and the picture of Zack means Crisis Core is hitting them all. If this turns out to be true, as well as FFVIIR Part 2 showing up, I will be over the moon. 

The guy that got stuff right, or the stuff that didn't happen?

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

He has a 100% track record so far.  No misses.

I'm guessing that he probably works for Youtube and is getting early peeks at video titles & descriptions as publishers upload the videos privately just prior to their respective events.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ike said:

As Dcubed said, the guy has been spot on with everything he has teased. The Banjo stuff came from a few other people who said that the game has been given the go ahead but probably wasn't shown because the show focused on the next 12 months. Either that or they could just be full of it. :D 

• Thanks 1

< 1 minute until the 10 minute long Final Fastest VII 25th anniversary stream starts:

Time to create a quick summoning circle! Cool countdown to get us going. 

Don't know where expectations should be, but maybe Remake on Xbox, maybe an update on Ever Crisis or something cool like Crisis Core or Dirge of Cerberus being ported (please!), probably a First Soldier event reminder or something...

...and maybe a 5 second tease for Part II? 

See you in 10 to be crushed by disappointment :p

Edited by Julius

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

yes-thor.gif

I knew it :p 

You know what? I might give Crisis Core FFVII Reunion a chance. Maybe it'll grow on me :D 

Square Enix just won Not-E3 in less than 15 minutes

They surpassed all of my hopes! Well, unless you're on Xbox, sorry guys :p 

Edited by Julius

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Capcom also casually announced Dragon's Dogma 2

MyM6epI.jpg

NO WAY I MISSED THIS COMPLETELY

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

scream-toad.gif

Finally a multiplayer game from Capcom I can play with my friends that they'll probably love! 

glances back at Monster Hunter World

tumblr_p12y4dVEVq1w8mobyo3_540.gifv

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Finally a multiplayer game

Do you have insider infos? 
Nothing aside from the fact that this game is in development has been announced :D 

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Do you have insider infos? 
Nothing aside from the fact that this game is in development has been announced :D 

The first game heavily utilised multiplayer features where you could play online with friends or their avatars could be "pawns" and fight alongside you when they weren't online, so I'd wager it's a safe bet that II will have similar features :peace:

That being said, you've planted a seed of doubt in my mind now, so...

tumblr_n7drtbOrCm1qex0dmo5_250.gifv

:p

1 minute ago, Julius said:

The first game heavily utilised multiplayer features where you could play online with friends

I don't think that's true. You could only "hire" pawns made by other people.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I don't think that's true. You could only "hire" pawns made by other people.

Just looked it up to confirm and I stand corrected, that's my bad! :peace: my understanding of the game was mostly based off what I'd heard and seen clips of, so think I misunderstood their explanation of the Pawn system. On the upside though, that means I can go play it solo, as I'd been steering clear of it for so long thinking it was multiplayer! 

Well, fingers crossed for multiplayer for II then :p think it'd be a smart move for Capcom considering how well Monster Hunter has done in recent years, and it'd be like a semi-realisation of Deep Down, so...hopefully? Maybe? Please?!

RE Engine confirmed too, so either way, at least it will look good :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Skull and Bones Ubisoft Forward Spotlight (a Ubisoft Original™) is this Thursday (7th July) at 19:00 BST, and then Ubisoft Forward returns 10th September at 20:00 BST:

Ubisoft announcing their Ubisoft Forward over two months out, earlier than anyone announced details of their plans for Not-E3, is hilarious to me :laughing:

E3 is returning in-person and in full force next year, and will be organised by PAX and Star Wars Celebration organisers ReedPop. 

From VGC:

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced the news on Thursday following recent confirmation that the flagship show will return in June 2023 for its first in-person event in four years.

As well as running high profile events in the US and Europe, ReedPop is the owner of Gamer Network, which runs websites such as Eurogamer, GamesIndustry.biz and Rock Paper Shotgun, and is the network partner of VGC.

Commenting on the news, ReedPop said E3 2023 would welcome back "publishers, developers, journalists, content creators, manufacturers, buyers, and licensors", and also highlight digital showcases and feature "in-person consumer components".

[...]

It claimed it had listened to feedback from the gaming community and would honour "what's always worked" about the games industry event, while reshaping what didn't.

"It is a tremendous honor and privilege for ReedPop to take on the responsibility of bringing E3 back in 2023," said Lance Fensterman, president of ReedPop. "With the support and endorsement of the ESA, we're going to build a world class event to serve the global gaming industry in new and broader ways than we already do at ReedPop through our portfolio of world leading events and web sites."

Kyle Marsden-Kish, ReedPop's global VP of Gaming who will lead the newly formed E3 team, added: "For years, we've listened, heard, and studied the global gaming community's feedback. E3 2023 will be recognizably epic—a return to form that honors what's always worked—while reshaping what didn't and setting a new benchmark for video game expos in 2023 and beyond."

I don't think E3 will ever get back to where it was just 5 or 6 years ago, especially with so many companies now doing their own thing, but if this means Nintendo actually turns up with a proper Direct in mid-June, I'm all for it :p this means that both E3 and Summer Game Fest will be in-person next year (assuming plans don't change). 

Christopher Dring, Head of GamesIndustry.biz, will be involved in the Elsa's plans for E3, and has written a piece well worth reading, because he at least seems excited by the possibilities:

We'll see how it develops, but hopefully the competition between E3 and SGF is good and leads to better events than we've had in the summers since COVID started. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Good news!

Reedpop aren't too popular from what I've heard but I'm sure they'll do a fine job.

Sign in to follow this