NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The 2022 Events Thread: To E3 or Not-E3, Keighley propaganda, Gamescom and more

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The best part of the show was how salty Drukmann was about The Last of Us leaking. He wasn't afraid of having a pop at Sony for allowing it to happen. :D 

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Do feel sorry for Neil and the team about the TLOU leak, that salt was unreal :laughing: looking forward to Factions at least, sounds like the project has ballooned but in a way they're ready to tackle, which has got to be exciting! 

Speaking of...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The new The Last of Us spin off sounds excellent. However, I guess it could still be far off. 2023, or 2024 maybe. :idea:

At least Naughty Dog, I'll say something that needs to be said. They're known to take their time with their products, and it comes out all the better for it. 

Edited for a lousy incorrect year. 2014 is the past. Or did I type 2024? :grin:

Edited by CrowingJoe79

Another event to add to the agenda: Final Fantasy VII is getting a 25th anniversary stream on Thursday! 

Time to temper those expectations and not hope for Remake Part II news...right? :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Another event to add to the agenda: Final Fantasy VII is getting a 25th anniversary stream on Tuesday! Time to temper those expectations and not hope for Remake Part II news...right? :p

Time for Crisis Core to be shown as part of the PS+ Premium line up. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yes! This and some confirmation on Ever Crisis coming to console once it's all said and done a few years from now please :bouncy:

Time for Crisis Core sounds like it could be a FF VII lightgun game.

Any chance of getting Crisis Core on Switch? Playstation exclusivity must have expired by now...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A new Little Nemo game?! Outstanding. The NES game was one of my favourites.

Excited about this one! I loved the cartoon and NES game. It being a Kickstarter probably means it will be a long time before we see it released though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

gag-gagging.gif

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

I was needing some E3 goodness in my life and so last night I sat and watched Sony's E3 2016 and 2017 conferences (with EZA commentary). Man, they were so on point with those, especially the 2016 show. God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Resident Evil VII...crazy stuff. I then sat and watched the Nintendo Direct from earlier in the year. Again, another amazing show and still one of the best Directs in a long time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was needing some E3 goodness in my life and so last night I sat and watched Sony's E3 2016 and 2017 conferences (with EZA commentary). Man, they were so on point with those, especially the 2016 show. God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Resident Evil VII...crazy stuff. 

Yeah, that E3 2016 Sony showing was something really special. The orchestra live scoring Cory playing the live GoW demo, gah, it was something else! And then on 2017 and the blank faces of people reacting to Bluepoint's Shadow of the Colossus :nono:

Especially with EZA. The RE VII trailer ending with Jones screaming "demo TONIGHT AHHHHHHHHHH!" was so perfect.

Miss those old live E3 conferences with an audience, miss Sony live shows especially - if we're talking specifically live presence at E3, especially with E3 teetering close to death, I think their final showing at 2018 could end up being the last best E3 conference for me (even with all the weird shuffling around that year!) - because they just brought it in a way only Nintendo comparably good, and man, I miss old garage vibes EZA.

It wasn't fair on Jones at all at the time really, but their move to the studio was followed by COVID, then Kyle leaving, then Jones leaving, and E3 just being much less magical; it's just been a perfect storm of things going against them, unfortunately. They all seem a little jaded coming off COVID (which I totally get), and they've all been going through a lot (Huber especially), so it's all just...different. 

Things change, but even more than last year, this year I find that I couldn't really care less about E3 (or Not-E3). I legitimately took a one hour break from SGF because I was so bored and tuned into the end to see the last few games and the Druckmann salt, but it's kind of had a ripple effect where my hype has been drained for everything else; I watched Day of the Devs - which was great! But not for the reasons I love E3: the hype and magic - but haven't bothered even catching up on Devolver, and it's why I'm not really bothering to talk about the events at length like I'd normally want to.

I'll probably tune in for Xbox just to see what happens, and obviously the FF VII anniversary stuff, but it's looking more and more like Nintendo is AWOL this year (yeah they can do something else in the summer, but they've been the best show at E3 no question ever since PlayStation left), and we don't even have a Square Enix conference where I can beg for ports. Think this is the year where it's clicked for me more than it has before, as I know it has for others here in recent years, that this just isn't going to be the same anymore :(

I normally return to old conferences pre-E3 but hadn't really been feeling it this year, so reading your love for some of them, think I might have to join you in going back and reminiscing for that E3 pick-me-up :D

• Like 1

Well now I'm also rewatching the Sony 2016 E3 conference. Watching it with Giant Bomb talking over it as usual.

Yeah, I always preferred the garage setup. It seemed more cozy and genuine. So much has changed since the garage days and EZA was never really the same. I can't remember the last new thing I watched or listened to from them. It was probably just before Kyle left.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Well now I'm also rewatching the Sony 2016 E3 conference. Watching it with Giant Bomb talking over it as usual.

They were probably as miserable and jaded as ever. :D 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I always preferred the garage setup. It seemed more cozy and genuine. So much has changed since the garage days and EZA was never really the same. I can't remember the last new thing I watched or listened to from them. It was probably just before Kyle left.

They were probably as miserable and jaded as ever. :D 

I'll take it over fake enthusiasm any day 😝

• Haha 1

Looking forward to tonight's Xbox showcase, mostly because of Starfield. As for the rest of the showing, I just hope it doesn't mirror the SGF main stream and consist of games from about two genres and just be full of dystopian shooters/murder simulators.

Phil Spencer saying we should expect less CGI and more gameplay ahead of the Xbox & Bethesda Showcase. 

Man, I hope so. Let's see some HUD's, let's see some dates (windows! You guys are Microsoft, come on!), let's see them really try to sell some more people on Series consoles like myself who are still waiting on Xbox first party consistency before they consider taking the plunge. 

Fingers crossed Starfield gets a good showing (think having it here and without a solid showing would just continue to bury the confidence in Bethesda we've seen waning the last few years), not really sure what else I want/expect from first party beyond Forza. Hellblade II? 

Third party could be where it's at for me, mostly in terms of stuff we might see come to Switch and PlayStation. I'm not even going to put out the usual trio of games I normally want at these events because I've been jinxing them, but hey, they could turn up here. Tangential to one of them: Somerville? 

Anyways, here's hoping for a good if not great show for them. With so many going AWOL this year at Not-E3, I feel like Xbox have a massive opportunity here to really come out swinging. 

Just, for the love of all that is holy, I swear I'm going to flip a table if you say how many world premieres and games you're showing off at the start of your show. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95298e9a645a02800352

Don't do it Phil, I'm watching you. 

I'll mostly be watching for some coming to Steam at the same time. Hoping for some good announcements.

9 minutes ago, Julius said:

Third party could be where it's at for me, mostly in terms of stuff we might see come to Switch and PlayStation. 

This is the same for me and has been for a few years now. Microsoft usually do have some great 3rd party announcements but most of them aren't exclusive and so it's great to see what's coming for consoles that I do own. 

I'm still ready for the to win me over. Get some exclusive JRPGs on the system, as well as leveraging RARE's forgotten IPs and I'll happily pick up an Xbox. Oh, and a new Gears. I'm always a sucker for a new Gears of War game. :D 

I don't really see myself ever buying an Xbox console again. With everything coming to PC as well there's zero incentive. I'll either play it from the Windows store if I absolutely have to or wait until something comes to Steam.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I don't really see myself ever buying an Xbox console again. With everything coming to PC as well there's zero incentive. I'll either play it from the Windows store if I absolutely have to or wait until something comes to Steam.

Yeah, I totally get that and it's clear that Microsoft are wanting to move from a console as well. I'm just stuck in my ways and can never seem myself doing PC gaming.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I totally get that and it's clear that Microsoft are wanting to move from a console as well. I'm just stuck in my ways and can never seem myself doing PC gaming.

That's where the Steam Deck comes in 😝

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Microsoft usually do have some great 3rd party announcements but most of them aren't exclusive and so it's great to see what's coming for consoles that I do own.

Oh yeah, definitely. I actually had to double check when DLC was first announced for Bloodborne and Dark Souls III (it was September and August in their respective years of release) just to reel in my hopes for Elden Ring DLC here, seeing how close they've been to From and Bandai Namco on the (proper) reveals for so their games (Dark Souls III, Sekiro, and Elden Ring if I'm not mistaken?). It could be Gamescom or TGS I guess, but who am I kidding, it'd be smart logistically to save that for The Game Awards when they walk away with GOTY at the end of the year :p

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm still ready for the to win me over. Get some exclusive JRPGs on the system, as well as leveraging RARE's forgotten IPs and I'll happily pick up an Xbox. Oh, and a new Gears. I'm always a sucker for a new Gears of War game. :D

Yeah, for me exclusive JRPG's and just showing any sort of consistency in getting first party projects out of the door (because PlayStation would still probably be my console of preference for third party stuff) would be enough for me to get onboard, because while I've got so much of their back catalogue to catch up on anyways, I just want to know it's going to be strong going forwards.

Starfield is the most appealing game to me on their slate, but that's based purely on hopes than any solid evidence of a great game, so hopefully it shows well! 

Wonder if Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade coming to Xbox is announced here or gets saved for the 25th anniversary stream on Thursday? It's been over a year since it released on PS5, so I'm half expecting it to turn up somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

That's where the Steam Deck comes in 😝

Still waiting on mine, but that's exactly the reason I'm getting one: to stay away from my PC but to get to some of those games :laughing: so many indie games and JRPG's stuck on Steam wishlisted!

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Made some food. Got myself a hot chocolate. I am ready.

lets-get-down-to-business-mulan.gif

It's a tropical 17°C down here, it's shorts weather! Don't know what it's like up north, but what is this madness?! :p

Edited by Julius

Just now, Julius said:

It's a tropical 17°C firm here, it's shorts weather! Don't know what it's like up north, but what is this madness?! :p

It's quite warm up here but I just fancied a hot drink. :p 

We need a Nintendo Direct to balance all these dark and bloody games. :D 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this