NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The 2022 Events Thread: To E3 or Not-E3, Keighley propaganda, Gamescom and more

Gotta say, i'm pretty bummed out about the death of E3. Yeah, the show hasn't been the same for a fair few years now and I get that there is no longer a need for it but there was nothing like getting all of the big gaming news in a single week. Having shows and announcements scattered and released at random isn't the same as having everything in one go. When E3 was at it's peak it, was great having gamers across various forums, all watching the same thing at the same time. People, myself included, used to take the week off from work to enjoy the event and the banter on all he gaming sites was great. We will never get the memories, memes and gifs that occurred in the lead up and during E3 from these digital events. 

Man, so many hilarious gifs were made for E3, not to mention the search for the E3 Bear on Neogaf. 

i97P4bk7nDuQ9.gif

kazimpsonsxqje4.gif

ffFFd.gif

nintendovqcya.gif

ApmqZ6g.gif

Z8Qgghv.png

Yeah, sad these times are past us. :( 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Completely agree. I hate that it’s all been split apart now, it’s lost everything that made it special.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I agree @Hero-of-Time.  E3 used to be one of my favourite times of the year.  I loved the mad hype, insane speculation and the excitement of the show itself.

I mean, entire console generations were made and broken literally overnight at these shows! The stakes were super high and everything was that much more exciting as a result.

But for all of the fun memories I have of the show, sadly it just lost its spark in the late 2000s from 2016 onwards; especially as it was warped into a consumer event where literally anyone could attend, and the value of media-hands on previews, developer interviews & such just evaporated.  As much as we focus on the conferences themselves, everything else that surrounded them was arguably much more important.  E3 is supposed to be a trade show at the end of the day, not just an outlet for conference videos that can just as easily be broadcast on YouTube.

All good things have to come to an end someday sadly :(

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Some solid details on Summer Game Fest, which will (thankfully) be limited to June:

So this is it for E3? What an unceremonious way to go out. :( 

E3 has been a massive part of gaming for so long. The magazines after were always hotly anticipated for a blowout look at what was in the pipeline. Pored over them every year. Even in the advent of the Internet age things like seeing the Twilight Princess trailer WITH CONAN MUSIC on IGN within a day (!) was spinetingling and immense.

E3, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, was like having a second Christmas in the middle of the year. Know all that cool stuff you've been playing? Well here's the even cooler stuff we've been busy working on! Who was the face of it? ::shrug: Games in general, or if pushed you might say one or your preferred companies presentation givers. This replacement smacks of being a vehicle for the glorification of the person organising it with gaming being an incidental by the by. (Would love to be proved wrong.)

Will feature: book interview with Reggie.
Will not feature: anything by Nintendo if they shift their stuff out of June with no comment.
Will piggyback on: Direct and Treehouse by Nintendo if they continue as usual in June with no comment.

If this had been a Melee scrap, the awards handed out would be Opportunist, Poser KO, Sweeper, Bird of Prey.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

So this is it for E3? What an unceremonious way to go out. :( 

E3 has been a massive part of gaming for so long. The magazines after were always hotly anticipated for a blowout look at what was in the pipeline. Pored over them every year. Even in the advent of the Internet age things like seeing the Twilight Princess trailer WITH CONAN MUSIC on IGN within a day (!) was spinetingling and immense.

E3, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, was like having a second Christmas in the middle of the year. Know all that cool stuff you've been playing? Well here's the even cooler stuff we've been busy working on! Who was the face of it? ::shrug: Games in general, or if pushed you might say one or your preferred companies presentation givers. This replacement smacks of being a vehicle for the glorification of the person organising it with gaming being an incidental by the by. (Would love to be proved wrong.)

Will feature: book interview with Reggie.
Will not feature: anything by Nintendo if they shift their stuff out of June with no comment.
Will piggyback on: Direct and Treehouse by Nintendo if they continue as usual in June with no comment.

If this had been a Melee scrap, the awards handed out would be Opportunist, Poser KO, Sweeper, Bird of Prey.

Yeah I've never really understood this desire to see it "die" you see all over the gaming community. Bit weird. I'll take a week of E3 any day over announcements spread out over a few months. The organisers are a bunch of idiots from what I've seen, but other than that, I hope it's back next year, properly, like before. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah I've never really understood this desire to see it "die" you see all over the gaming community. Bit weird. I'll take a week of E3 any day over announcements spread out over a few months. The organisers are a bunch of idiots from what I've seen, but other than that, I hope it's back next year, properly, like before. 

Totes.

I don't think E3 has botched it enough to warrant the calls for its head either, nor do I think it's been given enough of a chance to reinvent itself as something fit for purpose in the modern-day that works for everyone involved. As far as I remember, it basically started out as something for shops and games magazines to see upcoming software and hardware. Obviously, it's grown a lot since then and still needs to figure out how best to meet modern expectations. 

Like, that recent change of letting fans in sounded like a decent step into the present to me. Okay, it didn't end up being well received, but why aren't they allowed a grace period to review it, take on board what worked and what didn't, and to adapt and try other approaches to find something that suits everyone? ::shrug: 

And what exactly were they supposed to do in recent years when the world has been shut down? They provided a centralised portal for companies to post their presentations. What more do people want? Yeah, a portal that was better equipped to deal with the traffic would have been nice, I know. That aside, it's hardly been E3s fault that offerings have been poor from game devs and publishers. E3 doesn't make the games, they provide the expo environment for companies to show off what they have.

What's weirder yet is that people want to be rid of E3 just to replace it with an E3 rip-off? Doesn't add up. Summer Games Festival seems to be all look at me, oh, no, get that spotlight off little old me I'm so meek and humble and undeserving, all I want is these game announcements to get attention... but don't ever forget these announcements wouldn't be happening without me so you better be thankful someone like me's around to step in and the games industry going!

Feels off.

This is just my assessment from what I've seen from the outside; I'm not an attendee. And I'm not married to E3 or anything so if the industry has to move on from it that's all well and good. However, I do believe E3 should be given a fair shake and any replacement (or usurper as the case appears to be) should, by default, deliver immediately on whatever it is that E3 has been unable to give and surpass it.

If Summer Games Festival is signalling to us that it has the contacts and clout and hip knowhow to pull this off, then they should knock it out of the park without breaking a sweat or face calls to be kicked aside too.

• Like 1

Not-E3 begins the usual week of E3: Xbox have confirmed their Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will take place on Sunday 12th June 2022 at 18:00 BST...

Today, we are excited to announce that the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will stream on Sunday, June 12 at 10 a.m. PT. This show will feature amazing titles coming from Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and our partners around the world.

The Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will include everything you need to know about the diverse lineup of games coming soon to the Xbox ecosystem, including upcoming releases to Game Pass on Xbox and PC.

The Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will be streamed on a variety of outlets, in over 30 languages.

Right then, time to see how Starfield is turning out and if it's on schedule for me to make the silly decision of picking up a Series X for that and the few legacy titles on Xbox I want to play. And Forza. 

Think they're the first to do confirm a date and time? So now we just wait to see who joins them :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Think they're the first to do confirm a date and time? So now we just wait to see who joins them :p

Microsoft always go first with announcements and dates; so that's nothing new... which is actually quite the comfort this year, considering what happened to E3!

• Like 1

Of course, a new rumour popped up about Resident Evil 9. But I think Capcom would likely prefer to promote the remake of RE4 first. 

I hope they reveal something this summer. :-) 

Summer Game Fest Live is taking place on Thursday 9th June at 19:00 BST, and will be shown at some IMAX screens across the US (and so will The Game Awards in December). 

Non-E3 slowly building up.

Just...please, no Gearbox :p

Edited by Julius

505 Games showcase next Tuesday at 14:00 BST: 

We’re thrilled to announce our first ever 505 Games digital showcase, taking place May 17th at 14:00 BST / 15:00 CET / 06:00 PT over on the Official 505 Games YouTube channel. This is the first event of its kind in 505 Games’ 15-year history, and we want to invite you all to join us.

In our Spring 2022 showcase, prepare for updates on previously announced titles, as well as a surprise or two along the way.

:cool:

Watched their vid last year and it was packed with games I liked the look of. Could do with going back through it to see how many of them are on eShop.

As predicted, RE4 may have a lot of things extracted from it. That's typical of Capcom. But do note that this hasn't been verified yet.

I still think fans are going to go wild once it's formally revealed, nonetheless.

Is Resident Evil 4 without the silly even Resident Evil 4? If I don't get a completely out of nowhere laser grid acrobatic sequence, then what's even the point?

But yeah, HD development these days pretty much kills the viability of having all the set pieces the original had. Things are gonna have to be cut.

As always, Capcom are just up to their old money grabbing ways. The upcoming Netflix series looks rank as well, and they claim it's canonical. How is Wesker black now? Maybe it's a different Albert Wesker.

It's pointless to remake RE4 when it's already widely available. Will likely end up feeling like a downgrade, as was the case with RE3, and even 2. Yes, 2. That game got a lot of positive reviews, but it had way too much cut content.

I just wish they would stop rehashing past glory for to make a fast buck. 

Just hit me that we're just 20 days away from Microsoft's Not-E3 event... and still no sign of Nintendo coming out swinging with their own equivilent Not-E3 Direct...

I get the feeling that Nintendo will be skipping this year along with Sony... Otherwise, they would've announced something by now.

Edited by Dcubed

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Just hit me that we're just 20 days away from Microsoft's Not-E3 event... and still no sign of Nintendo coming out swinging with their own equivilent Not-E3 Direct...

I get the feeling that Nintendo will be skipping this year along with Sony... Otherwise, they would've announced something by now.

In fairness, they were later than usual (usual meaning compared to pre-COVID times) to announce their E3 Direct last year too: they didn't announce it until 2nd June, 13 days before the Direct was scheduled to be streamed on 15th June. 

So I imagine we'll hear something by the end of next week :smile:

(and if not, this year's Not-E3 is likely going to be a total dud if last year's actual E3 and Summer Game Fest is anything to go by)

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Keighley is starting to begin the hype cycle in earnest for Summer Game Fest: 

It's interesting to see that Nintendo is not on that list. On the other hand, they'll just do their own Direct and gain more traction that way instead of being one of the many in SGF.

Keighley's stepping on E3's throat while he stares them in the eye: Summer Game Fest will be running a media-only game preview event called Play Days. 

Sounds like their own version of Judge's Week. 

Sign in to follow this