NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

How was your 2021?

So we're a few days into the new year and the changing of a year always brings reflection so in hindsight how was your 2021?

I realised towards the end I spent most of it in limbo. 2020 I was supposed to go travelling and did a bit but had to come back and then had to figure out a new life as I had given up everything in London. Realised 2021 I just basically sat around waiting for the pandemic to end (still waiting) and other than my progress at the gym I didn't really 'achieve' anything - but I'm fine with that. Getting through the year was enough! But it's spurred me on to make more of 2022.

It's weird how quickly 2021 seemed to go too. Did anyone else feel that way?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

It's weird how quickly 2021 seemed to go too. Did anyone else feel that way?

Yes, it did seem to just fly by. Not sure what it was but one minute it was Easter, then it was Christmas. 

Personally for me, 2021 ended on a high. 2020 ended with me in a relationship, but because of all the Covid stuff we hadn't even had a chance to meet up. 2021 was making it harder when Boris started locking it all down at the start again. Middle of the year we were getting a bit fed up and some miscommunication made us both think the other didn't want to continue. But we finally managed to meet up in October and managed to talk about what we wanted and where we wanted things to go. We are now happily together and enjoying as much time as we can get together.

Other than that my 2021 was fairly run of the mill. Work, play and sleep. But I expect it was similar for many people, as much as we thought it was all going to go back to normal it seemed that things just carried on as 2020 part 2. 

I enjoyed the first 3 months of 2021 as I was furloughed and unlike my 2020 furlough, I was perfectly happy staying at home. The rest of the year I was pretty much miserable, verging on depression due to my job. I’m still there but looking for a new job daily so fingers crossed. I’m doing a bite better mentally with it now though at least. I don’t let myself check any work emails at home anymore and while I’m at work I just try to remember that they don’t give a shit about me so why should I give a shit about them.

absolute BS, the entire year.

The *only* good thing was being redeployed into a better job.

- was shielding and losing my marbles

- finally asked to wfh, had 4 months of backlogged work absolutely piled onto me

- former colleagues mostly dickheads who did nothing but disrespect my space when i did have to come back to work

- redeployed - and all the stress that came with that

- took extremely ill on top of already being in pretty poor health and ended up in ED in august

- more medications that are plastering over the monumental failing of the nhs

- sister took covid, BiL nearly died

- finally saw rhematology - probable ankylosing spondylitis which means waiting for probably most of 2022 for MRIs to confirm

- fucked up my back, can barely move, in agony pretty much 24/7

- had someone really awesome in my life, and he broke my heart

OH and found out im likely to be in significant pay arrears because of a ridiculous pension scheme system.  A tiny 1% ? pay increase, puts me from 5.6% to 7.2% pension payment. and its backdated from march 2021. LOL

Edited by Raining_again

2021 was definitely a weird year. There were a couple of highlights, but for the most part it just kind of whizzed past with nothing happening.

The year started off pretty well, family life was good and I was finally in a secure job with a good salary and a great boss. Singapore was still in its never-ending lockdown but we’d gotten used to it and could do most of what we wanted considering we had a baby to look after. The only really bad thing was that we couldn’t see family in person.

Nothing really happened until May when we had a few days in a nice hotel for my son's first birthday, that was definitely a good highlight.

Then things really took a downturn, one of my best friends and regular vid-con buddies was taken ill after getting their COVID vaccine and passed away a few days later. That was really tough and something I wasn't prepared for at all. I still can't quite believe it even now.

My boss quit and I was left to report directly to the MD of our studio, it was probably the worst experience of my working life. I finally understood the problems that the company really faced were not the headline-grabbing assholes but the fact that the management of the company was just utterly toxic. I started looking for a job pretty soon after having to work with this guy but Singapore was pretty hard to find anything.

Towards the end of the year I was offered a job back in the UK, and with nothing much changing in Singapore and my job having become totally depressing, I decided to take it. So far that has been a great decision as work is great, the team rocks and being back in the UK has actually been really nice.

Sadly my Nan passed away just after we got back here, though she was 92 and at least got to meet my son before she went.

So yeah, I'd say mostly a non-event of a year, a couple of really crappy things and one or two good highlights. Mostly I'm glad to see the back of it and hope for better in 2022.

It didn't feel like much happened all year, but there were a couple of really good things. I finished my Master's degree with a Distinction and got offered a PhD place which I'm now doing. It was significantly better than 2020 for me, that was already a wretched year in work even before the pandemic hit.

Whelp. I wanted to leave a love/like/hug or something to all of you, but nothing seems to match, know that I read all your responses and I'm really hoping for better things for 2022 <3 

For me? 

• I was just getting underway with my new job after joining end of 2020.
    • I later got a mini promotion just after my probation in June. 
  • We finally got married 0/304/2021! 
    • There were 6 of us lol
  • We immediately decided to start buying a house. Which we then completed on in September
  • finally after 18 months of waiting got put on the waiting list for surgery in October. 
  • My sister had her second daughter, so two nieces! I've yet to meet her though, damn covid. 
  • I now WFH perm due to covid after requesting it since 2016 (different company, but I demanded it here also)

So there was some really really good stuff that happened this year. I also found my health tanked (and continues), my mental health put me back into therapy. But I now WFH on a perm basis so that definitely helps the physical side of my issues. I don't think I want another dramatic year this year! But we're steadily working on our new home to enjoy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nightwolf said:

• We finally got married 0/304/2021! 
    •  

I know it felt like there were 304 months in 2021, but it's going to be very hard to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bob said:

I know it felt like there were 304 months in 2021, but it's going to be very hard to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

This gave me a hell of a chuckle. We're slightly gutted that we didn't have the original wedding date 04/04/20 (let's blaze it because I'm literally 14).:laughing:

9 minutes ago, nightwolf said:

This gave me a hell of a chuckle. We're slightly gutted that we didn't have the original wedding date 04/04/20 (let's blaze it because I'm literally 14).:laughing:

Would have had been a great anniversary in 2089 too. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this