NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Will Mario Kart 9 release on the Switch?

Like most people here have said, with MK8D still selling so well i very much doubt the next game will come to this console. I guess there is a chance of the next Mario Kart coming to Switch, since Nintendo are releasing Splatoon 3 on Switch rather then adding more maps to the existing Splatoon 2, but I'd much rather Nintendo some DLC (I think some new tracks, drivers and karts would be popular even after all this time) for MK8D and release the next Mario Kart for Switch 2.

Edited by Helmsly

As long as they also release those tracks on the Wii U version (which they won't).

BMX XXX walked so Mario Kart XXX could run*

*I was tempted to use a cruder verb 

Didn't @Ronnie already post a similar article?

Because any bozo could guess that the next Mario Kart will have a new twist. They've had new twists since Double Dash!

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Because any bozo could guess that the next Mario Kart will have a new twist. They've had new twists since Double Dash!

Yes he did but if you think the focus of the tweet I posted was about the twist then you're either very innocent or very unobservant 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I wouldn't call gliders in 7 or anti-gravity racing (that doesn't actually add that much gameplay wise) "a twist". The report seems to suggest 9 will have an actual new twist, like Double Dash did.

I apologise if you or @Dcubed didn't think the original story was worthy of being posted on this message board, but can we cut out the constant gate-keeping of opinions please? "Confirmation" that the game is in active development at the moment and might be revealed this year was pretty interesting to me and I figured it was worth the 20 second effort of posting it.

Edited by Ronnie

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wow! Talk about being anal…

I think Nintendo would class gliders and anti-gravity as "twists" but in the sense of "a slight change" rather than the TV/film plot twist which is more "a major upheaval". 

Think "water with a twist of lemon" rather than Sixth Sense. 

But who knows. We shall have to wait and see!

A nice thread on what good bits from Tour Nintendo could/should including in 9/10

Particularly useful if, like me, you've not played Tour

• Thanks 1

interesting read. I like some of those ideas, I do wonder about the costumes/variations though. I doubt I play as more than half the characters in MK so adding a bunch of costumes may seem overkill. Though I haven't played Tour lately so no idea on what they are. Maybe they aren't the usual reskinned characters and might be fun.

I'm gonna repeat what I said before. You're not getting the costumes without the Gacha mechanics. They're in Tour solely to sell the Gacha.

Costumes in MK9 would be good fun, for some reason I hadn't considered that in the main series. If there is to be adventure mode, maybe they can be the collectibles or something.

Most of that sounds horrible (especially the daily/weekly stuff), and the costumes seem unlikely without a method to sell them for money. 

The unique item thing was fine in Double Dash!!

26 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I'm gonna repeat what I said before. You're not getting the costumes without the Gacha mechanics. They're in Tour solely to sell the Gacha.

Why not? Not to the extent tour has them but each character in Smash has variations and they've done it a bit in Mario Kart with Yoshi and the Kids so why not have a few costume choices for each of the characters?

If they've been designed to a higher quality and scaled down for mobile there would be a better chance of including them. 

Or maybe lock em behind the Switch's gacha - amiibo. 😋

Funnily enough, costumes exist in video games without Gacha mechanics. 

Edited by Ronnie

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Funnily enough, costumes exist in video games without Gacha mechanics. 

I just don't see it happening with Mario Kart. The majority of costumes tend to be sold separately these days. And I don't see why Ninty wouldn't use it to make more money.

I'm not expecting them but Nintendo seem to be conscious that the business models for mobile and consoles are different so while I don't expect the range I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few costumes as alt skins without having to pay for each. 

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I just don't see it happening with Mario Kart. The majority of costumes tend to be sold separately these days. And I don't see why Ninty wouldn't use it to make more money.

Cause they already have a cash cow Mario Kart game on a platform that's practically designed for micro-transactions? Let Tour make them that kind of money. 

They're not going to mess with their flagship series on console by putting in MTX.

Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, and a million other games have cosmetics as in-game unlocks. 

Edited by Ronnie

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

They're not going to mess with their flagship series on console by putting in MTX.

And that's why I don't buy the idea that the next entry will have anything close to the cosmetic options Tour has. There's no need.

You'll get a handful of options like in MK8 at best.

Will Mario Kart 9 release on the Switch? Honestly, I kind of hope not since I just got MK 8 Deluxe within the last year. I had been holding out for 9 all this time and don't want to see it any time soon due to my recent 8 purchase. :p Just restart the N-E MK League with 8 DX already and I'll join and prop up the table.

As for what any twist could be... would an adventure mode even be a twist at this point? I could see them reintroducing the MK DS challenges but I'm not sure how far they would go with making an adventure. But then who knows. Open-world adventure in a kart? ::shrug: Mario Kart has gliders already so... :idea:  You start on an enclosed area with the princess' castle in the distance, desert in one direction, snow in the other, etc, and as soon as you complete some tasks and challenges on the opening area you are rewarded with the glider and you are off. Make Tatanga a boss.

Since they folded F-Zero into 8, I could see them incorporating jet skis and snowboarding and there's Waverace and Ten Eighty covered.

11 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Open-world adventure in a kart? ::shrug: Mario Kart has gliders already so... :idea:  You start on an enclosed area with the princess' castle in the distance, desert in one direction, snow in the other, etc

Ah yes, Mario Kart: Breath of the ....... petrol fumes coming out of the exhaust.

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this