NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Will Mario Kart 9 release on the Switch?

Given Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to sell ridiculous numbers do you think we'll see a sequel on the Switch, or do you reckon Nintendo will just hold off and release it the next console (and let's assume that's somewhere in the 2024-2026 range for now)? 

I doubt it would be a launch game as they'd probably want to spread things out but Mario Kart 9 would be a hell of a launch title. Or maybe we'd get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 2. 

I feel like with Mario Kart, Nintendo have worked their way into a corner slightly. They've got an artstyle which gives diminishing returns in terms of how much better it will look on increasingly more powerful consoles, so they next iteration is basically going to look very similar to 8.

They've got a similar problem with SSB, in that they've already got a ridiculous number of racers and tracks in 8, so are unlikely to be able to cram any more in 9.

So what more can they offer in 9? I guess they'll have to put in some sort of gimmick, like Double Dash did, since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already the definitive version of Mario Kart, where else can they go?

• Like 1

Yeah similar to Smash Ultimate, both that and MK8 Deluxe are as close to perfect games as you could hope for really. Tough to know where they go from here, apart from just expanding the roster and making it Nintendo Kart, which I doubt they'll do because the 'Mario Kart' name is iconic.

I'd be surprised if MK9 is out on the current Switch though, you'd imagine there's only another 2-3 years of it, so seems a waste to put it out so late.

• Like 1

You realise Nintendo consider Mario Kart Tour the ninth entry already, right? That can stay off the Switch, thank you very much.

26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

apart from just expanding the roster and making it Nintendo Kart, which I doubt they'll do because the 'Mario Kart' name is iconic.

I actually think they'll do this. But they'll still call it Mario Kart. Animal Crossing, Link, and later, Splatoon has already garnered a positive reception from players. Why not expand on that?

That said, there needs to be a balance. Mario stuff should still be front and center. Making up the majority of tracks, characters, and items. But I wanna see more Ninty series get in.

Oh, and hit up Microsoft for Banjo. He literally debuted in a Nintendo kart racer game and is from the DK universe, he belongs in Mario Kart as much as DK and Diddy do. Do it!

Mario Kart Adventures. That's next in line. 

Other than that, the next MK game will not be on Switch but might be a launch game for Switch 2. More racers and tracks and an expansive single-player adventure-mode. Also more guest appearances from other games. 

I kind of hope we will see Mario Kart 10 on the Switch. As much as I love 8 Deluxe, by now I have seen all the tracks. Who knows, Nintendo could go rinse and repeat again and bring us 10 this year, and 10 Deluxe when the Switch's successor launches. But yes, since 8 Deluxe is still selling buckets, I wonder if that may be the reason they are holding back. On the other hand, we have Splatoon 3 incoming as well, while they could have easily kept Splatoon 2 going (and that was also still in the top 20 of 2021).

I think there are plenty of directions to go with the next Mario Kart. Like said above, add a gimmick like Double Dash had. Or a single player adventure. The Smash Ultimate route also sounds plausible. Characters from the Kirby universe for example would fit in well, although I hope they stay away from stuff like folding Ridley into a Kart.

And while many are hating on Mario Kart Tour, there is plenty that can be taken from there. Seasonal tracks, different game modes, costumes, a score system more based on style instead of just finishing first. Just leave out the gacha bit and make sure you can unlock it with in-game play. But some of the costumes and new tracks in there are amazing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You realise Nintendo consider Mario Kart Tour the ninth entry already, right? 

lol

Unless they want to do another normal/deluxe release and release MK9 (10 if you want to count the utterly vile and predatory MK Tour) at the end of the Switch's lifespan and then release another version on the next console, I doubt we'll see a proper Mario Kart on the Switch. It's quite disappointing that the Switch will be my first Nintendo console without a Mario Kart game. 

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh, and hit up Microsoft for Banjo. He literally debuted in a Nintendo kart racer game and is from the DK universe, he belongs in Mario Kart as much as DK and Diddy do. Do it!

It still seems strange that Diddy wasn't in Mario Kart 8. Banjo also has two great kart style games in his belt (DKR and Sonic All-Stars), plus his own not so good one (Banjo-Pilot), so more would definitely be good.

38 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

And while many are hating on Mario Kart Tour, there is plenty that can be taken from there. Seasonal tracks, different game modes, costumes, a score system more based on style instead of just finishing first. Just leave out the gacha bit and make sure you can unlock it with in-game play. But some of the costumes and new tracks in there are amazing.

See, that's what rubs me up the wrong way. The breadth of customisation options Tour has is mostly there to encourage people to engage with the awful gacha system.

You remove that, and there's not much reason to do that sort of thing on that sort of scale. And that sucks.

No.  Mario Kart Tour has, unfortunately, taken the place of a new Switch Mario Kart game.  Mario Kart 9 on Switch died so that Mario Kart Tour could live, as morbid as that sounds.

Mario Kart 10 will be a Switch 2 launch window title.  And it'll be a massive system seller.

I can't help but feel that Mario Kart needs some major new gimmick to seperate it from Mario Kart 8.  But at the same time, it has been so incredibly long since Mario Kart 8's initial release (almost 10 years now!) that I reckon that Nintendo could probably get away with just pushing out more of the same at this point...

So they'll probably just reuse MK8's engine & gameplay, and just have more guest Nintendo characters added to the game as its key "gimmick".  So yeah, expect Super Smash Kart in all but name.

MK Tour is actually alright. The gacha mechanics can easily be replaced by old school unlocking stuff by achieving certain things and I do think that adding high scores to a racing game can add to the fun. It's like time trial, but instead of going as fast as possible you also try to go different routes to do more tricks and getting more points. I think that blends very well into what MK has become. It should of course be a separate game mode. 

The next Mario Kart will probably feature seasonal content as well. 

9 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The next Mario Kart will probably feature seasonal content as well. 

As long as there's no limit on it. Time limited seasonal content is a horrible trend. 

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I'm not sure if Mario Kart 9/10 would be as much of a "must buy" for me due to the online subscription. 

4 minutes ago, Cube said:

As long as there's no limit on it. Time limited seasonal content is a horrible trend. 

I agree. But isn't it kind of limited in Animal Crossing at the moment? Would that perhaps be viable - that holiday outfits are only available in December every year?

4 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I agree. But isn't it kind of limited in Animal Crossing at the moment? Would that perhaps be viable - that holiday outfits are only available in December every year?

If it's built into the game and console clock and not based on a server, then that's absolutely fine. I was referring more to what other games do with seasonal content where if you don't play a game between certain dates (or worse, play loads of it to unlock it in a very short timeframe), you can never unlock the specific content. 

• Like 1

Definitely don't see 9 (or 10) being released on the Switch. But I do think we will definitely get a new one on the next console. I know people say Tour is classed as 9 but then what would that make Home Circuit? maybe that was the Switch entry.

As for what they can do with it, I don't mind the style of the games, so just polish the graphics with the new one. Add an adventure mode, this is a must, Mario Kart needs a great single player game its becoming pretty much a multiplayer game now. Add in all previous tracks from all games and all characters we've had, plus some new ones, lets expand the roster to include some more non Mario universe characters, AC, Link and Squids have shown that they can fit in the game and not look out of place. 

Thenonly gimmick I can potentially see being added is something similar to Diddy Kong Racing with the planes and hovercrafts, but then I don't see Nintendo doing that, they should just make a new Diddy Kong Racing for that. But I do see a possibility of some kind of flying mechanism (not just gliding).

Other than that, I think I've mentioned this to @Glen-i during our MK nights before. Just give us Mario Kart Ultimate. All previous characters/trracks along with some new ones in one big hurrah of a game.

Knowing Nintendo they have probably been trying to come up with an idea for a new game but haven't been able to find that new gimmick to make it work. Maybe they have something up their sleeves and will surprise us all when they announce it.

• Like 1

The thought of going from Mario Kart 8 to Mario Kart 10 (unless they call it something else of course) is just giving me Windows vibes and I do not like it.

It would be good to add an adventure mode. I often want to replay Diddy Kong Racing for that reason but don't have access to it. Would be good to have more to single player than just tournaments/ghosts. 

I imagine they will expand the roster to include other Nintendo franchises, even if they do still call it Mario Kart. Hell, they might even have an 'outsides' cup (as it were) based on those franchises. 

57 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The thought of going from Mario Kart 8 to Mario Kart 10 (unless they call it something else of course) is just giving me Windows vibes and I do not like it.

Personally I’m more weirded out about going from Mario Kart 8 all the way to Mario Kart 64… what the hell happened to the other 56 Mario Kart games!?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Personally I’m more weirded out about going from Mario Kart 8 all the way to Mario Kart 64… what the hell happened to the other 56 Mario Kart games!?

Bold to suggest that the extra feature in MK10 would be time travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Bold to suggest that the extra feature in MK10 would be time travel. 

Oooh I like that as a gimmick for courses. Imagine racing through/around Hyrule and Hyrule castle and then a portal or something appears at the beginning of lap three and the final lap is maybe set in the past or future. (I'm thinking OoT 7 year span) or something like Mario courses set in normal times and then a future like time similar to the level in Smash which is all old and worn away. 

Or maybe a chaos mode whereby every time a player completes a lap the ghost of their last lap is added but as an interactable racer. So a race of 12 becomes 24 on the second lap and 36 on the final. 

• Like 1

Mario Kart 9 apparently in the works

That might not be entirely accurate though. In an article published by GamesIndustry in which several industry analysts have made predictions for the industry in 2022, Dr. Serkan Toto of Kantan Games stated that Mario Kart 9 is currently in the works, and, interestingly enough, that it "comes with anew twist." Toto also predicts that Nintendo could tease the game sometime this year.

"I am aware Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still selling very well on the Nintendo Switch, but Mario Kart 9 is in active development (and comes with a new twist) and Nintendo could tease it this year," he said.

Take with a grain of salt etc, but the analyst in question is quite respected on things like this.

I wouldn't say it having a new twist is "interesting" as much as expected, but the suggestion it is coming is in itself interesting! 

There is literally nothing unexpected in that report.  Yeah, no shit, Nintendo are currently working on Switch 2 launch titles (of which, MK10 would be one of them).

And there’s something new in the game? Wow! Really impressive crystal balling there Nostradamus!

• Like 2

On 04/01/2022 at 10:07 PM, bob said:

So what more can they offer in 9? I guess they'll have to put in some sort of gimmick, like Double Dash did

I would like to accept my Nostradamus award on behalf of all the people who believed in me, my family and friends, and of course, the Lord.

• Haha 3

However much people would like it, with MK8 still selling truck loads, I don’t see Nintendo risking the sales on it by releasing a new version until the next console.

I predict (nay hope!) the next console Kart will include challenges, which have been sorely missing since the DS version.  The ‘twist’ being much more advanced and numerous, such as an adventure mode with challenges being grouped into stages and characters.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this