NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

How do you de-stress?

With work starting up again for many people tomorrow I thought I'd see how people de-stress when they need to?

Personally I do some form of exercise mostly. Typically walking but occasionally running. When I was in London I'd sometimes go for a swim as there was a pool five minutes away but in Birmingham there's no pools near the centre. Plus when I used to cycle to work getting on the bike after a shitty day helped a great deal. 

So what about you? Exercise, indulging, screaming into the void?

My problem is that I don’t. I just overthink everything and never turn off, it’s why my sleep was so terrible last year.

I saw someone talking today about how they planned to play more games this year to help distract them from thinking about work though and I think I might do the same. Last year was a terrible gaming year for me so I’m gonna try and play more games each day after work to reset my brain.

I practically never stress, it's not in my nature. But if I need to calm down, I simply go to bed.

• Thanks 1

I don’t really get too stressed but when I want to unwind a bit I generally go for a run. I also like to ride a bike or drive around a bit so when I eventually get a car I’ll probably be doing that more often too.

I do like to spend time doing absolutely nothing sometimes too, just lying by or chilling in the pool. Not sure how well I’ll be able to keep that up now we’re back in the UK though.

22 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I practically never stress, it's not in my nature. But if I need to calm down, I simply go to bed.

The phrasing of this amused me as I read it in an angry mother's voice. "You need to calm down, go to your bedroom!"

• Weird 1

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The phrasing of this amused me as I read it in an angry mother's voice. "You need to calm down, go to your bedroom!"

Not just my bedroom! My bed. This is going to sound revolutionary, but sleeping calms me down! :p Some people are unable to sleep when stressed I believe, but for me it's the opposite.

I can barely sleep at the best of times yet alone when stressed but all power to you! 

Few things I like to do...

Nap - I generally have a coupla hours nap after work.

Paint - having a nice Warhammer model that I can bend to my whim in any colour I like, really take your time on, make it as simple or as detailed as you like, spend time thinking about any embellishments/basing options. And if you make a mistake, can easily cover it up, or give it a methylated spirit bath and start over. By the end you have a nice display piece. If you continue with other models you can always return to older ones to add touch ups with new techniques you've picked up along the way. If you're not interested in starting an army it gives you bigger scope for what models you can choose as you're not constrained. Tis most therapeutic.

Generally, videogames help a lot to de-stress. Specifically, those with steady progress and/or exploration, and relatively low challenge. The gameplay loop (coming to a new area, scour its nooks and crannies, organize/sell the loot you got, move to the next part) is satisfying and soothing.

Another option is a puzzle game. In these, a challenge can put your brain to work in a low-stress environment, and that's great too.

Otherwise, just rewatch whatever film/series/anime/youtube video is the most feel-good to you. That's a bite-sized solution that tends to work really well.

When I was still working in the office I had my half an hour drive home that helped me wind down from the working day. Put on a podcast or relaxing music, or some sing-along punk or heavy metal if I had frustrations.

Now, working from home since the beginning of covid, I usually relax after work with a game of League of Legends Wild Rift on my phone, or with a Switch game. Sometimes cooking helps to de-stress, although sometimes it feels more like a burden so that depends on the mood. If I'm really worked up from work I go for an extra walk (I also walk during my lunch break).

Sign in to follow this