NEurope
drahkon

Your Gaming Diary 2022

After two and a half months... I have finally finished Elden Ring.

The highlights of the last month of Twitter playing the game were certainly interesting...

Spoiler

Still modding Rivals of Aether on the side but going over previous projects to improve quality and taking my time over things. It'll be a while before the next one is ready.

I'm planning on moving on to Super Meat Boy next. I still need to finish that game and I got it back in 2013...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took a break from playing Neo: The World Ends With You and decided to crack on with the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2

FTO6c0iX0AEsa7c?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FTO6d-uWQAAKOHA?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FTO6fFGWQAEZLqq?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FTO6gN-X0AEsKJv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

When I played through Mega Man X4 and 5 earlier in the month I could see the series starting to lose its way but it's not until you hit MMX7 that you truly see the series fall. With MMX7 Capcom decided to go all 3D with the series and it didn't pay off at all. The camera is a nightmare to deal with, which is puzzling considering this is a PS2 game and developers should have realised by then to use the second stick for camera movement. Not only that but there are very few enemies to actually fight, especially if you compare it to the 2D entries. The game is pretty ugly as well. Gone are the beautiful 2D pixels and they are replaced with awful looking 3D character models. Also, this is the game where they added Axl. :nono:

The trophies for this game were a bit of a pain. There is one where you have to listen to every conversation that pops whilst playing and another where you have to rescue all 128 reploids that are scattered throughout each of the stages. That one was very annoying because these reploids can die by random enemy fire. If one does die then you have to restart the game or load your last save because they don't respawn. You can miss both of these trophies very easily and so you need to keep a check on what you've listened to and collected. 

MMX8 still uses polygons but they returned to the 2D formula. I can imagine Capcom getting a lot of backlash after MMX7 and so this was the logical choice to make. However, they did mix the gameplay up a bit. In this game, to power up your character you need to collect scrap metal that you can spend on things like health and other enhancements. It actually works quite well and the game can be played a little like an RPG in the sense that if you can find a good spot you grind metals to level up quickly. The game does start off pretty hard though and buying the Life Up enhancement straight away is highly recommended

Again, this game had an annoying trophy that ended up making me play through the game 3 times. There's an enemy in the series named Vile and he makes an appearance in this game. You have to fight him 4 times before heading to one of the last stages in the game. The problem is that this is largely based on RNG. I read a few trophy guides and achievement guides but none of these gave a good strategy on how to get him to spawn. On my 3rd playthrough I tried my own method and ended up unlocking the thing. ::shrug:

I played through these games back in the day and even back then I could see the dip in quality as the series went on. It really should have ended with X4 or at a push X5. The first MMX Legacy Collection has an amazing selection of games but the this one not so much.

From 2 disappointing platforming games to another in Kirby 64.

FTToSTZUYAA1ABd?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

FTToSTbVsAANW-h?format=jpg&name=large

FTToSTbVIAAqKsW?format=jpg&name=large

FTToSTBVUAEAVKv?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, this was pretty rough. I remember enjoying the game when I played it back on the N64 but that wasn't the case here, especially after playing the new Kirby game on the Switch. It does highlight just how far we've come though. This Kirby game is very slow and quite bland. It also lacks any of the postgame challenge that other Kirby games have. The mixing of the abilities is cool and some of the music is very charming but other than that it's a pretty bland experience.

Also, as seen in the NSO N64 thread, the game has a nasty glitch in that it makes it impossible to proceed if you get hit by a boss in the underwater sections of the game. I managed to do this multiple times on a couple of different bosses and looking around on the net, it seems everyone is suffering from this issue. I imagine it will be patched soon but it's certainly not up to the standard I expect from Nintendo and their partners when it comes to a higher tier, paid for service.

• Like 1

Kirby 64 is the last time we saw the more easy going, Dream Land style before the series went all in on the Sakurai style action game.

There's no doubting that it was the right decision, though. Modern Kirby is so liked because of that style.

Those emulation softlocks are really bad though. N64 NSO might have had it's fair share of emulation issues, but you could always at least play through each game!

Finished a couple more N64 games today. 

Spoiler

FTX_2m-UEAI3Hxm?format=jpg&name=large

FTX_2msVIAEhN5t?format=jpg&name=large

FTX_2mwVsAA_d53?format=jpg&name=large

FTX_2mzUsAAhWol?format=jpg&name=large

FTX_rWkUYAA1ObV?format=jpg&name=large

FTX_rWZVEAA7Bea?format=jpg&name=large

Yoshi's Story is such a weird game. If you don't go for all the watermelons then you can blitz through the game stupidly fast. I mean, all they give you is a high score and if you aren't interested in getting a high score then it will be a short experience, even if you do play through all of the levels. Nintendo were in such a strange place during this era, as were a lot of other developers. 2D platformers were tossed aside by most and what we got were games like Kirby 64 and this. Like Kirby 64, this is also bland, short and easy.

Oh and the song that plays when you finish a level still annoys the hell out of me.

Spoiler

FTYlsb0VEAEn7PC?format=jpg&name=large

FTYlsb2UEAAgynq?format=jpg&name=large

FTYlsb2UsAUbnjM?format=jpg&name=large

FTYlsbdUEAAeuPc?format=jpg&name=large

FTYl322UsAEL3XY?format=jpg&name=large

FTYl32vUsAYb4IQ?format=jpg&name=large

FTYmGF2VIAAdqaK?format=jpg&name=large

FTYmGGSUcAARqoN?format=jpg&name=large

Sin & Punishment is a game I tried playing back on the Wii VC but I never got into it. I tried it again today and didn't think it was that bad. Once you get past the fiddly controls the game is pretty fun. It's not a patch on the Wii sequel but it's enjoyable enough. However, I don't think it's deserving of the praise it gets, especially the hype it got when it was originally released. I remember N64 magazine always harping on about it.

The one thing I didn't care for were the 2D sections. There were only a couple of them but I felt they weren't really necessary and took away from the standard shooter style levels.

Nintendo's online service is going to have to start churning out some more games. I'm dangerously close to finishing everything I want to play on the thing. If they don't add another console/handheld then I can see me letting my subscription run out and leaving it like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Time for another update! Other games I have been playing are Xenoblade 1 HD, Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania and LEGO Jurassic World. But these games I've completed recently:

Roguebook (Switch)

I started writing for a Dutch Nintendo website and Roguebook is the first game I reviewed. It’s a roguelike deckbuilder from the creators of Faeria, in cooperation with the creator of Magic: The Gathering. It takes place in a blank storybook that you have to fill in using ink: the ink reveals the map and is obtained by defeating enemies.

There are some cool mechanics at play, such as having two characters (four are available, for each run you pick two). It matters which one is in the front or the back, and adds a good level of strategy. Also nice is that even if your run is unsuccessful you gather pages which you can spend on permanent unlocks such as more starting health, more gold, etc.

It gets a bit convoluted in the end, as there are a lot of elements in play (passives, items with certain effects, gems you can attach to cards etc.). Luck plays a big role. But when you get the right cards, items and gems and are steamrolling your enemies, that really feels good.

The most obvious game to compare it with is Slay the Spire (@drahkon!), but I haven’t played that so I can’t say how they differ. I do know I enjoyed it for the 20 hours I played it, and if you want to unlock everything I think you can triple that time.

Untitled Goose Game (Switch)

We all remember the hype around this game when it first came out. I don’t think the hype was justified, but I did find this to be a short but pretty fun puzzler. The game is charming, the concept is great and I like how you’re able to approach certain tasks in different ways. You can get through it in a couple of hours and it is fun for as long as it lasts. I’m curious how it is in co-op, so hopefully I get the chance to try that out soon.

Contra Anniversary Collection (Switch)

I played through all of the Nintendo versions of Contra in the Contra Anniversary Collection. I have some nostalgic feelings for the series (well, for Probotector). Contra I and II on the NES were pretty fun to play through, with Contra II being the better game. Contra III: The Alien Wars is horrible though. The sidescrolling levels are a collection of semi-bosses with cheap shots (seriously, even with the save/load option some were awful). The top-down bits are nauseating with a rotating screen.

The GB one was surprisingly fun as well. I did own Probotector II (which as it turns out is based on Contra III), but never played the first one. There are 2 Probotectors in the collection as well, so I’ll probably play them as well soon.

Kingdom Rush / Kingdom Rush Frontiers (Android)

kingdom-rush-frontiers-tower-defense-pc-mac-spel-steam-wallpaper-4.jpg

I had to find a new time-wasting game on mobile and I ended up playing Kingdom Rush and one of its sequels. They are tower defense games, but with enough mechanics to make them interesting. For instance you have a hero to control, plus you have different upgrade paths for your towers. Frontiers builds on this, with more variety and it’s a bit easier. The first game is free if you ever feel like playing a good tower defense game. Kind of makes me wish Nintendo makes a tower defense game as it’s quite a fun genre.

Edited by Dufniall
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dufniall said:

The most obvious game to compare it with is Slay the Spire (@drahkon!)

The deluxe edition of Roguebook is on my PSN wishlist (same as Faeria's bundle).
When it gets a decent discount (and I got some money to spend), I'll get on that :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Trek to Yumi

FSbVTPHXEAECtqJ?format=jpg&name=large

A very stylish game, with a black and white grainy image and a samurai setting. Unfortunately, it’s kind of a style with little substance - and the style diminishes after chapter 3, too. The combat at its best feels a bit like the Lord of the Rings games on GameCube, with the addition of a huge focus on parries - which would be great if it didn’t feel unresponsive. The main issue seems to be that pressing the LB button (which feels a bit awkward when it’s one of the most used buttons in the game) causes the block animation to start, and it needs to be finished before the parry works, so the “shine” that represents when you should parry is misleading.

Another issue is that, as nice as the style is, the odd camera angles and objects in front of the player can often make it difficult to see what is going on.

Paradise Killer

FStrsBUXEAIAMqO?format=jpg&name=large

A game all about solving a mystery, it’s set in a world where immoral beings (one of them being you) lord over islands of their creation, in order to create a “perfect” island to appease the gods. People keep getting corrupted by demons, making the place corrupted and requiting it to be scrapped and a new island started. Only this time, the entirety of the council has been murdered and you have to figure out who. 

You’ll need to find the answers to this mystery (as well as discover new mysteries) by exploring the island, solving puzzles and talking to the remaining residents. Everything is bright and colourful with a great upbeat soundtrack, which just enhances how dark some of the actual events are. Something I really liked was how the case is resolved: you make your case and submit evidence, with enough evidence, your answer is accepted. The game doesn’t tell you if you were right and wrong, as you can have evidence to accuse multiple people. It’s all about you being happy that you’ve got the right answers.

Sleeping Dogs

FTR-rNtWUAEI4f-?format=jpg&name=large

I felt like playing a favourite of mine. I think it’s strange how open worlds have taken off massively, but there haven’t been many games in the “crime city” genre, with the only decent ones after Sleeping Dogs being the Watch Dogs series, which in itself have a different focus on fighting the government rather than bring about crime. 

The combat in Sleeping Dogs is still satisfying, with an interesting plot and some fun missions. Still a great game, I wish we could have another game like this.

Umurangi Generation

FTYr6ZYXsAE91MY?format=jpg&name=large

A photography game that has a very interesting setting (one that I won’t go into because it’s fun to discover what the setting is, as it’s not obvious from the start), but is ultimately fairly bland. The game looks straight up unfinished, with textures varying in quality massively, and some straight up missing. 

The game felt much more like a “hidden object game”, where the focus is finding a list of objects rather than the actual photography. It’s quite short so if you have a bit of time, it’s interesting enough to see the setting, but that’s about it.

Little Witch in the Woods

FTegiXDWUAQfA8X?format=jpg&name=large

A really nice little game. It’s a 2D pixelated quest game about exploration and crafting. One huge thing I enjoyed is that there aren't a massive amount of different steps, and no long wait timers and no combat. It’s a very relaxing game, with a fascinating world and characters. It’s only a “Game Preview”, so you only get the first few sections of the game, which is a shame, but I’m looking forward to trying the rest.

• Thanks 1

Totally agree with you about Trek To Yomi @Cube.  After about 5 mins of play, I instantly knew that I had already seen everything the game had to offer.  There's zero depth to the game's combat, every single enemy fights in exactly the same fashion, and considering that it is entierly based around Prince of Persia (original) style combat? That's pretty devestating.  I sleptwalked through about 30 mins to an hour of incredibly samey gameplay and promptly deleted it from my Xbox.

Real shame and all.  I totally dig the B&W 1930's Japanese cinema aesthetic, but the gameplay is about as shallow as a paddling pool; typical western video game design sadly.

Edited by Dcubed

16 hours ago, nekunando said:

Me from the 2020 thread.

I sat and played through Untitled Goose Game today. I picked it up as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with it.

Hands down one of the most overrated games I have played in a while. This thing had stupid amounts of praise, won various awards and was constantly being hailed as some kind of indie darling and I fail to see why. Honestly, I think half of the praise comes down to the marketing of the game rather than the actual game itself. The game is short, easy and the charm of it wears off after about 5 minutes. The only saving grace was the post game challenges where you had to complete every stage in under 6 minutes. Other than that, not a fan at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never played that goose game, but I had a similar experience with Undertale. I found it to be utter tripe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Me from the 2020 thread.

Was half expecting (well, considerably more than half expecting..) to be raked over the coals for not appreciating and embracing yet another media darling but found your appraisal of it oddly comforting 😅

I didn't enjoy the game anywhere near enough to warrant doing any of the extra stuff after the credits rolled. In my mind, it's done and I came away perplexed at how it was ever being talked up for Game of the Year when it came out. Pleasant visuals and humourous premise aside, the game itself was, like I said in the tweet, tedious and I was somewhat relieved when there wasn't any other scenarios to explore beyond what was there.

Dare I even play Gris..? 😖

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Never played that goose game, but I had a similar experience with Undertale. I found it to be utter tripe.

You're good people, drahkon. :D 

12 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Dare I even play Gris..? 😖

Gris is decent. Lovely visuals, beautiful soundtrack and some actual decent platforming sections.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Was half expecting (well, considerably more than half expecting..) to be raked over the coals for not appreciating and embracing yet another media darling but found your appraisal of it oddly comforting 😅

You don't respect the Goose? You motherfucker.

(Don't play Gris)

On 5/23/2022 at 4:57 PM, drahkon said:

on my PSN wishlist (same as Faeria's bundle)

The base game is on sale, but I learned that it's an always-online game. The AI is apparently going through some servers to find the optimal moves.
An always-online card game? No thank you.

Roguebook is on sale, too, but sadly still too expensive for me right now.

Righty-o. A couple of games for me to add.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1651075211

It's brilliant. Why?
That would spoil it. You'll just have to trust me.

H2x1_NSwitch_NeoTheWorldEndsWithYou_imag

NEO: The World Ends With You is the sequel to the DS title The World Ends With You. It's developed by three different groups, including h.a.n.d, and published by Square Enix. It was quite the surprise when it was announced because, well, the original didn't exactly set the world on fire. It's an action RPG with a... interesting take on battles, more on that in a bit.

The game is set in Shibuya and follows Rindo Kanade and his best friend, Tosai Furesawa (Or "Fret") as they get involved in a road accident. Soon after, they find themselves in the "Reapers Game", a game that consists of making teams with other "players" and completing missions to collect points. The game lasts 7 days, and you probably don't want to be last.

Much like the first game, there are all sorts of twists and turns that keep the plot engaging, even if some details will fly over your head if you didn't play the original game (annoyingly, some details from the non DS re-release are relevant as well, so I was pretty confused at a couple of moments).

neo-the-world-ends-with-you-battle-700x4

The battle system takes place in real time, tasking you with taking control of every character at once. Each character is equipped with a "Pin", which determines what attack they use when the corresponding button is pressed. Everyone on your team shares the same health bar, so if one person gets hit, the whole team loses health. This sounds like a disaster, but there's a few details that prevent this. Firstly, if you're not pressing a character's button, then the AI handles their movement, and thankfully, they will dodge almost every attack with near perfect timing (Some wide ranging attacks might still catch them though). Because of this, you're only ever controlling the character whose button you're pressing.

Some people might be a bit upset that the whole dual-screen mechanic of simultaneous battles are gone, but it's a neccessary compromise, because as the re-releases show, it does not work on a single screen.

All the other cool features of the original game are thankfully present in the sequel. You see, most of the pins are gotten from enemies dropping them, but there are a wide variety of ways to increase the likelihood of this, whether it be lowering your level, equipping certain clothes, or chaining multiple battles in a row. The game even has a screen that shows you the odds of an enemy dropping a pin, so you can plan on how to get what you want.

It's this kind of accesibility that makes chasing 100% completion quite doable, despite the number of collectibles to  get. The only real wall you might run into are the optional post game bosses, which are no joke! But it all makes for a relatively fun time. Well, fun enough for me to chase it.

The game has a proper great soundtrack with a wide variety of music genres! This coincides quite well with the artstyle. NEO: TWEWY has a great street art vibe thing going on that I just adore. It's a very stylish game.

It's a shame this game didn't live up to Square's expectations, because it deserves success, but I put it down to the absolutely shoddy PR the game got in the run up to its release. But that's Square Enix for you...

Spoiler

I am Setsuna
Metroid Dread, minus the Dread
Banjo-Kazooie (One hundred and Tooie %)
Banjo-Kazooie (100%, but faster)
Final Fantasy XIII-2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
EarthBound Beginnings
EarthBound
Hades
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Ys Origin
Triangle Strategy (All Endings)
Grandia HD
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
NEO: The World Ends With You (100%)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moonlighter

20220527151510.jpg

One off my backlog.

Very enjoyable. Combat is nothing to write home about, but in combination with exploration and selling your loot in your own shop, it makes for a relaxing experience.

• Like 1

Haven't post much lately. I've been mostly revisiting fighting games as of late (like KOF 2002, or Street Fighter III), or simply dedicating more time to Smash Bros. But I have been playing single player stuff as well... that being three of the VC games from my 3DS:

Donkey Kong Land

DonkeyKongLand_EuropeanBoxart.jpg

Can confirm: it was a spotless yellow

Yes, it's the Game Boy version of the famous Nipo-British game. Kind of. DK Land is a somewhat different game than DK Country, as I'll get into in a bit. Fun fact, also the first Donkey Kong game I've ever played, borrowed from a friend. This is how I knew early on what Donkey Kong was about, despite me being a Mega Drive kid. I hadn't played it since... third grade, or something.

So how is it? Very odd. As in, DK and Diddy don't immediately start running after a roll, there's this weird 1-second delay in-between. Also, performing a roll slows you down to a crawl in the moment. Also also, it doesn't link into the jump at all.

Then there's the graphical limitations. It's impressive that they recreated the DKC sprites, but the monochromatic colour scheme is not easy on the eyes. Donkey Kong wasn't the only one doing it (I recall several Game Boy games with scenery that was way more detailed and messy than it should be), but the comparison to the SNES game is right there. Furthermore, if one of your monkeys falls off-screen (literally, might as well be "off-camera") then you just get kicked back into the map screen with one fewer life (no "Game Over" jingle or anything!)

Finally, K.Rool is miniscule in this game. I remember thinking as a kid that the main villain was super lame.

But outside of those issues... it's a very memorable and unique entry. Rather than recreate the various worlds from DK Country, this game does a lot of original levels, like pirate ships, sunken ruins, sky/cloud levels, and modern cities. It also brings some new unique tracks to the series, such as Kremlantis (lovely tune). And it still followed the tried-and-true series philosophy of using one gimmick per level (most of which were unique to this game), so it was plenty of fun regardless.

(And you know what? The roll thing was super weird, but once you get used to the slower pace, it doesn't even feel bad, just different)

The flaws are significant, but despite that, I was happy to revisit this one.

Donkey Kong Land 2

donkey-kong-land-1-2-3-analise-review-pn

Glimmer doesn't even appear in this game!

Can't say the same about this one.

Sure, they course-corrected the game-feel to be closer to DKC. Sure, they improved the contrast so that the backgrounds don't blur as much with the sprites. But instead of coming up with new locations and such, we instead get a summarized, theme park version of the DKC2 worlds, with admittedly new levels, but still designed to resemble the original ones (Glimmer's Galleon is a water level with the Loopy Lights gimmick. The fish ain't there)

The result? Everything is just a pale imitation of DKC2. Graphics are obviously worse, the music is the same, but in 8-bit, and the whole soundtrack wasn't brought over (it feels like Lockjaw's Locker is used for half of the levels in  the game), the new mechanics aren't perfect recreations (there's no team-up throw. Plus, roll-into-jump has a stricter window of opportunity than in the SNES games), the monkeys' running speed is too fast for the small GB screen (which also makes the rollercoaster levels hellishly hard), the animal friends require the Select button to access their abilities, and the level design is dull, and filled with superfluous bananas that feel like red herrings (because they don't actually lead into bonus levels). Heck, even the Kong Kollege save system is far harder to deal with on a handheld that won't save how many coins you have.

(Also, the first few levels all had secret, easy to find, barrels that warped you straight to the end of the level. So bizarre)

I blazed through this game, and I wasn't happy about it.

Donkey Kong Land III

24234_front.jpg

Roman numerals!? The inconsistency is annoying...

Finally, another one I remembered from my childhood. A kid at my school had this one, and I occasionally saw him play it. I thought it was weird that the monkeys could turn into other animals, and also I didn't understand how the world map worked. That's what I remembered.

And playing it properly now... Easily the best of this trilogy. The mechanics are smoother than in DKL2 (still no team-up throw, though), the DKC3 soundtrack feels like it was implemented properly, and while they still do a "quick" version of DKC3, the new levels they came up with actually feel well designed and inspired (they even took out Ellie's fear of mice, which is an improvement in my book). The new levels even have new names, like "Red Wharf", "Miller Instinct", or "Ugly Ducting". Just lovely.

For flaws, I'd say that the levels do feel a tad too long at times. The rollercoaster levels are also just as obnoxious as in DKL2.

Other than that, I had the most fun with this game out of the trilogy. I even bothered to find all of the collectibles, that's how much I liked it.

My 2022 log (Hide contents)

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Steamworld Dig 2 (2017) Completed (January 6th)

-Bit.Trip Saga (2009-2011) No Goal (January 15th)

-Ever Oasis (2017) Beat (February 25th)

-Guilty Gear (1998) No Goal (March 19th)

-Flashback (1992) Completed (March 19th)

-Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R (2002-2012) Beat (March 30th)

-Defenders of Oasis (1992) Completed (April 20th)

-Katamari Damacy (2004) Completed (April 27th)

-Donkey Kong Land (1995) Beat (April 29th)

-Donkey Kong Land 2 (1996) Beat (May 11th)

-Donkey Kong Land III (1997) Completed (May 28th)

Replays:

-Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1995) (March 20th)

-Wario Land 3 (2000) (April 15th)

Dropped:

-Dicey Dungeons (2019) (January 3rd)

-The Room (2012) (January 8th)

-This War of Mine (2014) (March 18th)

-Virtua Fighter 2 (Mega Drive) (1996) (April 24th)

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been playing Inscryption since this morning.

I don't know what's happening :laughing: 
I seem to have progressed through the first...level? Act?

It's weird, it's creepy, I'm scared.

Didn't necessarily enjoy the first part's gameplay. It was mostly a deck-building card game, but your ability to win was very dependent on good RNG with not a lot of options to play around that.
I assume the card game aspect will continue, given the story that has just unfolded. I just hope it'll make things a little less RNG-heavy.

Anyways, if I disappear from this world...it's the game's fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

whats.gif

Well...that was...interesting :D 

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1641581499

A roguelike deck-building metafictional game.
Not bad. Gameplay was a little RNG heavy at first but became much better later on.

The atmosphere was creepy, sound-design was spot-on and it was engaging all the time. However...
(not really spoilers, but just in case - I do mention what I think about the ending, though - without giving it away):

Spoiler

I do wish there was more of a conclusion. In the end it was too vague for its own good. Even after I read up on the ARG stuff.

Edited by drahkon

H2x1_NSwitchDS_DeathsDoor.jpg

Death's Door was released on various consoles last year. Developed by Acid Nerve, and published by Devolver Digital, it's an isometric action adventure game in a similar style to top-down Zelda titles.

You play as a crow, it doesn't have a name, as it goes about it's dayjob. BTW, that dayjob is collecting the souls of anyone whose death date is due. It's the cutest little grim reaper you ever did see. Things quickly go south when the crow's assigned soul gets hijacked by another, much bigger crow. Said bigger crow holds that soul hostage, demanding the reaper's assistance in collecting three "Giant Souls" so he can open Death's Door, a large omnious door floating above a clifftop.

The thing is, the owners of these Giant Souls have been cheating death and living far longer then they had any right to, and they're not about to die willingly. So, you have to convince them otherwise... by stabbing them with your glowy sword repeatedly.

ZTkAjal7TFo0.gif

Not every game lets you recreate this.

Like I mentioned before, Death's Door is a Zelda clone. All the staples are there, dungeons to find, items to get, even Piece of Heart rip-offs. There's more of a focus on combat then you'd expect though, while there are puzzles (some pretty good ones, as well), the more devious ones are normally reserved for optional goodies. The combat can also be quite punishing, because even if you find all the health upgrades, you'll still die in 6 hits at most. I died more then a few times on some bosses, but it never felt unfair. They're well designed and pattern recognition will help win the day.

It's not exactly a long game. You'll finish it in less then 10 hours, and the hidden collectibles (amusingly called "Shiny Things") are reasonable enough to find due to the game helpfully pointing out the general whereabouts of things you missed. So it shouldn't be too hard to get to 100%.

FUP_4NBVsAA9wFV?format=jpg&name=small

Also, big massive neon crows with pimp crowns

I'll tell you one thing, I really like the art style this game has. The stark contrast between the Reaper's Headquarters and other areas really gives the game a striking look. I'm a sucker for cool art direction, and Death's Door has it in spades. Not to mention the cool lighting effects and great soundtrack that accompanies it.

This is another game that I find myself running out of things to say, not because it's got nothing interesting going for it (The running theme of the pointlessness of evading death is interesting, for example), but because it's basically a Zelda clone. A solid Zelda clone, but nothing you haven't seen before, gameplay wise. But these days, with Zelda focusing on being something different, I'll take what I can get.

FUP_4NFVsAASQ3Y?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

I have absolutely no idea what happened in that secret ending.

Spoiler

I am Setsuna
Metroid Dread, minus the Dread
Banjo-Kazooie (One hundred and Tooie %)
Banjo-Kazooie (100%, but faster)
Final Fantasy XIII-2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
EarthBound Beginnings
EarthBound
Hades
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Ys Origin
Triangle Strategy (All Endings)
Grandia HD
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
NEO: The World Ends With You (100%)
Death's Door (100%)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, drahkon said:

Just finished Ori and the Blind Forest's prologue.

:( 

I started that game, but got distracted by others. I should get back to it.