NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

UK Covid booster programme

So the UK government seems to be putting all its hopes on boostering (let me have it) the Covid booster programme to a) avoid too much damage from Omicron and b) try and prevent a lockdown.

As its been a while since the last Covid thread I thought I'd start another specifically about this to see who has had theirs, who has got theirs coming up and what people think of this plan.

I had mine on Sunday after managing to book a slot over the weekend when it was quietly updated but not announced and it was fine/quick except this time (different location from the others) they held onto your card for the 15 minutes you had to wait which was fine except my guy went for a break at the 15 minutes and it was 10 minutes before anyone else was free to allow me to bugger off. But other than that all good! Still slightly sore in the arm but no real problems other than that.

Which means I should be fully immunised on boxing day. Although all I'm doing between now and Christmas is going to the gym (and I'll be the only one there) because my nan has been ill for months now so want to play it safe.

I want to get mine as soon as possible but need to figure out getting signed up with Doctors etc. and have them register that I’ve had the first two shots outside of the country. Hoping that’s not too tricky of a process.

Seems very optimistic to me that they will be able to hit their timelines. I hope they do but honestly having come from Singapore I really don’t mind the restrictions we have here or if they increase a little. I’m already working from home and won’t be going out all that much between now and the new year.

I'm hoping that it will be available at a place that's easy to get to. They don't seem to pay much attention to bus routes when deciding locations.

And hopefully nothing like the second vaccination, where I turned up to the place I was booked for and it was closed (apparently the date and time of 10:57 in the "Second appointment" section was just a suggestion, not an actual booking or some nonsense like that).

As I said in the good stuff thread I got mine this morning. Booked yesterday and got an appointment for 9.10am this morning. No walk ins queueing there when I arrived but there did seem to be a sign so I assume they would be allowed later.

Everyone I've spoken to though who's had the booster seemed to suffer after 24 hours regardless of if they did the first two times so we'll see what happens with me tomorrow. Might have to stay off work.

Urgh…..yep definitely feeling rough. I just love throwing up in the morning while also feeling too hot and too cold.

18 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Everyone I've spoken to though who's had the booster seemed to suffer after 24 hours regardless of if they did the first two times so we'll see what happens with me tomorrow. Might have to stay off work.

It almost seems like some sort of placebo-like effect, people expect side effects so they get side effects.

Other than a sore arm, I was fine day after my booster jab. The worst thing was the anxiety before getting jabbed.

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

It almost seems like some sort of placebo-like effect, people expect side effects so they get side effects.

I expected no side effects given that I basically never get them after a vaccination. But after my booster shot I felt like crap for a day :p  

This is the UK thread, but I'm gonna hijack it for a funny German story.
Our government kept pushing the vaccination campaign, wanting to achieve 30 million shots (1st, 2nd and boosters combined) until Christmas. Now the news came out that there aren't enough doses available.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so stupid and sad...

• Like 1

I've been checking daily to see if I can book an appointment (waiting for the booking site to open up to those 18+), and it finally updated this morning. Got it booked for 4th January :peace: that'll be in the middle of my break for Christmas anyways, so I've got recovery time covered (well, I hope!). Could've got it on the 3rd, but, well, Mondays...

I didn't have any crazy reactions to either of the first two jabs: first jab was a slight fever for a couple of hours which went down after a quick nap, some paracetamol, and a lot of water; second jab I didn't notice any reaction to be honest.

Hoping that this booster jab isn't too bad, obviously, but worst case scenario I'll just bundle myself up in front of the TV and watch some films :D

This is the UK thread, but I'm gonna hijack it for a funny German story.

Get out of here you pesky German 😋

As for side effects the worst I've had for all of mine is just a sore arm for around 24-36 hours. 

• Sad 1

I've had the Pfizer jab three times now, and each time I've had a sore arm. Maybe a bit of a headache too, but I'm having issues with my glasses at the moment so it's difficult to say whether it's my glasses or the jab.

I've had the Pfizer jab three times now, and each time I've had a sore arm. Maybe a bit of a headache too, but I'm having issues with my glasses at the moment so it's difficult to say whether it's my glasses or the jab.
I don't really see how that could give you a sore arm - are you sure you're wearing them correctly?
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

I tried to book my booster. None of the places I can get to have any appointments at all. There are drop in centres....somewhere. They don't publish the information about their locations online, so I have no idea where.

I know over the weekend users were posting in a specific Reddit (can't remember which) drop in locations so maybe you can find details there?

Hell, might be one of those rare occasions where local Facebook is useful

Facebook said that my local doctors is doing it, phoned them and they said to book online, using the system that has no slots. Supposedly there was a one-off two hour drop-in last night, they don't know if there are any plans for more. 

There is a walk-in centre a few towns away, but I don't have a whole day to use up to get there and back on public transport.

If it's any consolation, @Cube, I've been struggling to book a boost as well.

I don't think my internet is good enough to handle trying to get through that high traffic nightmare.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Eh, none near me. (Last update for Walk-ins in that regard was 5 months ago)

Can't remember exactly where you live (but think it's north of the river so no good) but there is a mass vaccination going on at Stamford Bridge tomorrow: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/booster-saturday-covid-19-vaccination-event-stamford-bridge-registration-227648050447?keep_tld=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Can't remember exactly where you live (but think it's north of the river so no good) but there is a mass vaccination going on at Stamford Bridge tomorrow: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/booster-saturday-covid-19-vaccination-event-stamford-bridge-registration-227648050447?keep_tld=1

Appreciate the suggestion, but I live near the west of London. I totally get why you'd think otherwise though.

That said, if I have the time tomorrow, I might just go there anyway.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Appreciate the suggestion, but I live near the west of London. I totally get why you'd think otherwise though.

That said, if I have the time tomorrow, I might just go there anyway.

For some reason in my head you lived near the Arsenal ground. I have no idea why (maybe because Mr Paul used to and I just assume all N-E staff lived there).

18 minutes ago, Ashley said:

For some reason in my head you lived near the Arsenal ground. I have no idea why (maybe because Mr Paul used to and I just assume all N-E staff lived there).

It's likely because when we went to that pop-up Pokémon Center, I traveled from that area.

It's possible I mentioned that. Can't remember though.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's likely because when we went to that pop-up Pokémon Center, I traveled from that area.

It's possible I mentioned that. Can't remember though.

Let's go with that!

I have my booster tomorrow straight after work. The first vaccine jab was terrible, the second was a lot better and I have no clue about tomorrow. However I expect to be resting and playing Nintendo Switch games in bed on Sunday.

Edited by sumo73
  • Like 1

I booked my booster for next week. But then I caught Covid :indeed:

Went to a gig on Tuesday, so it’s likely I got it from there but my mate, who was standing next to me the whole time, is fine. Symptoms have been fairly mild - felt like I’d been run over though yesterday. It’s given me a cold and a chesty cough. Taste and smell have been fine. My PCR test didn’t tell me what variant I have, but if this is Omicron, it’s really not been that bad for me. I just seem to want to sleep all the time. 

Sign in to follow this