NEurope
Julius

Sonic Frontiers

An experience like never before, accelerate to new heights and experience the thrill of high velocity, open-zone freedom. Battle powerful enemies as you speed through the Starfall Islands - landscapes brimming with dernse forests, overflowing waterfalls, sizzling deserts and more!

The Blue Blur finally conceded to peer pressure I guess :p 

Yeah definitely looks interesting, though I fully expect the gameplay to be a bit of a let-down given previous 3D Sonic games' track record. Maybe this one will finally be decent.

I wonder if it's true openworld or openworld-lite like Pokemon Arceus

It would have to be a giant world - otherwise Sonic would be able to run through it in a second. Granted that would be nice so we wouldn't spend so much time traversing the world but still.

It’s literally Sonic of the Wild; right down to ripping off BOTW’s iconic landscape opening shot.

No thanks.

Edited by Dcubed

I'm willing to wait and see, not like any other 3D Sonic games have done it right in the last... well ever really.

I'm really hoping the environments shown in this footage were just examples though, as they don't feel very Sonic-y at all. Point the devs towards the opening scene from the movie! Where's my yellow and brown checkerboards and loop-the-loops?

30 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I'm willing to wait and see, not like any other 3D Sonic games have done it right in the last... well ever really.

I'm really hoping the environments shown in this footage were just examples though, as they don't feel very Sonic-y at all. Point the devs towards the opening scene from the movie! Where's my yellow and brown checkerboards and loop-the-loops?

SEGA hired that man ;)

I think Sonic could really suit an open world game, possibly more than other video game characters due to his speed and therefore ability to travel large areas fast.

Looking forward to more info on this!

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

SEGA hired that man ;)

Woah, that's quite the blunder!

It's This Man everyone needs to hire, not That Man!

The game will be the focus of the next IGN First cover story, and even got a little teaser on SEGA's channel:

The story will be up at 17:00 BST tomorrow. 

Breath of the Sonic. 

It looks a bit barren and rough around the edges but hopefully they spend some time building the world and making it interesting to traverse. It does hold a lot of potential but given how fast Sonic is, they also need to make it big and that requires some planning from the developers. 

Does it make me think "yes, this is what I want from a modern Sonic game" ?  No. 

Still, let's wait and see. 

The environment closer up looks more like Sonic's style than the previous trailer showed, a lot more curves, springs and rings. Exploring looks like it will be fun, and platforming looks good. 

It seems that the hamster wheel things (and other puzzles) unlock a collectible and are not the standard "unlock icons on a map" thing. I do hope that you can turn off the big indicators highlighting puzzles and stuff, though.

Graphics seem nice, but I hope the pop-in is sorted out by launch.

The music is nice, but I don't think it fits. I eventually warmed to the relaxing music style in BotW, but I think it makes Frontiers feel slow, I think it would feel faster with different music.

I'm quite optimistic about this. 

On 01/06/2022 at 5:37 PM, Cube said:

Graphics seem nice, but I hope the pop-in is sorted out by launch.

Agreed. I’m always partial to a good looking waterfall as well, and the one shown here looked pretty.  Shame as I was expect a Sonic Master System-style platforming section when I first saw it.

The seagull was a little disconcerting when it appeared and was following Sonic no matter how fast he ran, but I understand it’s just a graphical example to show other creatures and add to the environment at this stage.

I hope there’s more variety in environments to come, and to me this still looks a long way of completion, unless it really was designed just to give a basic view, which is highly likely.  I’m intrigued by what was shown though and it has potential.

They've mentioned different biomes (the current buzzwords for different environments), and it's been suggested that there's possibly a large open world map, but also sections which are more linear. 

Hopefully so far is a case where a company is being too careful about revealing stuff, even to their own detriment.

• Thanks 1

Its crazy how much different editing of footage can make it look so different.

The biggest information here is that there are multiple islands, each with multiple linear stages within it. 

I’d say the biggest takeaway from that that they might make another Adventure game.

7 hours ago, Ike said:

I’d say the biggest takeaway from that that they might make another Adventure game.

Unfortunately, that part is heavily misleading. Its a quote from an interview and IGN were the ones to mention a possibility of another Adventure.  

People don't often say "no" to questions like that.

Looks like a bunch of places have played it for an hour or so. General consensus seems to be that it has some rough edges from a technical standpoint, but it feels great to play.

Internet has been blowing up over this... and not necessarily in a good way.

Honestly, Sega's handling of this game has been poor from a marketing point of view, it seems like they are intentionally making the game look bad. Is it a bad game? Not really the place to be able to tell just yet if I'm honest.

Conceptually open world Sonic game is an amazing idea and being able to run through blaze through open fields at blinding speed sounds really fun. There's a level in Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart that was wide open and let you zoom about with rocket boots and that really felt like what Sonic Frontiers as a game should be.

But its just difficult to have much faith in Sonic Team to make good games anymore. Maybe Frontiers will buck the trend. The only Sonic-likes are in the indie space so by default the originator should be the standard setter. The fact that these indies and fan games are favorably comparable to the official stuff is both a great thing for the indies but also damning on Sonic Team who with a much bigger budget and greater resources *should* have the most polished game of this type.