NEurope
Julius

Sonic Frontiers

On 18/06/2022 at 9:17 PM, Aperson said:

Honestly, Sega's handling of this game has been poor from a marketing point of view, it seems like they are intentionally making the game look bad. Is it a bad game? Not really the place to be able to tell just yet if I'm honest.

The game may well end up playing & looking much more fulfilled and exciting than the initial gameplay footage, but showing off the footage that they have has created a large amount of uncertainty surrounding the game and it’s quality.  There was no pressure to show it off right now, and if this is the beginning of the supposed third phase of Sonic games (2D, 3D & now open-world) then the marketing team have had ample opportunity to make the first footage of the game to be as impressive as possible.  A shame it looks to be yet another mis-step.

The developers are at least defending all of their decisions, as I’ve seen plenty of news of them doing so, with the most interesting being that they suggest playtesters would score the game at 80 or 90 at this stage.  I’m not entirely sure what that really means, and whether they’re being humble, bragging, or solely defensive.

Probably because Sonic fans are impatient.

Sega have said they are aiming for high review scores, which I think is totally the wrong way to go about it. I get what they actually mean but it shouldn't have been phrased like that.

Let's be brutally honest, the game looks crap.  It has a terrible, flawed premise and it's coming from a developer who has a proven track record of making mostly bad Sonic games.  There is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Well, looks like someone pulled the trigger early on putting an ad up on SEGA's Japanese channel: it seems that the game will be releasing 8th November. Got to imagine we'll get confirmation at Gamescom ONL tonight? 

One day before Ragnarök...I'm sure Kratos is shaking is his boots :p

Can't help but feel that this isn't the wisest of release dates... but hey! What do I know?

Also, there's some twisted irony in this game releasing on the same day as Ubisoft's Skull and Bones; another long-standing failed and tormented project that is being sent out to die...

A release early next year, perhaps end of January,  would really work better for this game. Too many big releases in November and December for this being able to compete. 

In a shocking twist that we totally didn't see coming courtesy of a leak, the game is indeed arriving November 8th, as confirmed at Gamescom's ONL:

Spoiler

Sonic’s arm is corrupt? Wonder where they got that idea. :heh:

I’m already tired of the attack animations.

6 minutes ago, Ike said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sonic’s arm is corrupt? Wonder where they got that idea. :heh:

Spoiler

The same place Breath of the Wild's untitled sequel did, Princess Mononoke? :p

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

So, err...

The non-open world stages in this game are all just literal reskins of past levels taken from the other "Boost" Sonic games.  So much for that being a selling point!

It's a bit early to say that they are all reskins but it sure doesn't look good. I'm impressed that people spotted it, though.

• Thanks 1

Never really played a Sonic game, but isn't he supposed to save animals? Now he's eating them? 

Did he just save them for sustenance?

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Wait until he finds out that the Rise one is actually the best looking Sonic based costumes in Mon Hun...

Just now, Glen-i said:

Wait until he finds out that the Rise one is actually the best looking Sonic based costumes in Mon Hun...

shocked-confused.gif

Do I really want to find out?

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

shocked-confused.gif

Do I really want to find out?

You know how some games should be left on the 3DS because they just wouldn't work on a more traditional console?

Well, that should be left on the 3DS for your general safety.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

I'm not going to look it up then.

My/the world is already a mess...doesn't need to get even worse.

Edited by drahkon

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Never really played a Sonic game, but isn't he supposed to save animals? Now he's eating them? 

Did he just save them for sustenance?

His favourite food are chilli dogs, so...

Just now, Ike said:

His favourite food are chilli dogs, so...

...I never thought them to be literal dogs... :woops:

Just now, Jonnas said:

...I never thought them to be literal dogs... :woops:

Well...it's probably still meat.
So either animals or...humans

OH MY GOD

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Well...it's probably still meat.
So either animals or...humans

OH MY GOD

Welcome to the Soylent Green Hill Zone.

• Like 1