NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Office Chairs

What office chairs are you lot using these days? About 2 years ago I switched to a gaming chair and really regret it now. I'm looking into a mesh ergo chair currently but there's a lot of different ones to dig through.

Currently leaning towards this Sihoo from Amazon:

71ufyagW75L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I definitely don't like gaming chairs, I dont like pleather/leather, and just want a simple chair.

I got a fabric office chair from The Range but i dont particularly like it.   The chair I was supplied with at work is fkin amazing but its like £400 lol

There are whole topics for it on the other forum I go to. I don't use a dedicated office desk chair, but the ones I see mentioned often are Ahrend, and even Ikea. And some Herman Miller. You could look into refurbished or 2nd hand to keep the cost down.

The one I'd want if I had plenty of money: one of the chairs in the Arper Aston series.

Edit: Oh and forgot to mention, it's apparently preferable if you can test the chair first. You may want to go to a physical store rather than order from Amazon.

Edited by Sméagol

46 minutes ago, Raining_again said:

I definitely don't like gaming chairs, I dont like pleather/leather, and just want a simple chair.

I got a fabric office chair from The Range but i dont particularly like it.   The chair I was supplied with at work is fkin amazing but its like £400 lol

We have the bog standard office chairs you see everywhere at work. One person seems to have an ergo chair but I have no idea how she swung that.

My gaming chair isn’t the worst thing in the world but it definitely doesn’t breathe in the summer and typically I bought it right before the pandemic so had to start appearing on a load of video calls sitting in it and feeling less than professional 😆 

Once it became clear last year that my work situation would most likely become the option of permanently working from home, I ordered the Herman Miller Aeron

pi_prd_ovw_aeron.jpg

It can go for £1k - sometimes more depending on the colour - but a little looking around showed me you could get a refurbished one for around £500 at the time, and looking around now, it seems you still can. Also lucky that even though I'm on a relatively low position in Big Bank™, they had to cough up some change for the transition to working from home once it was apparent it would be the long-term situation. There was a bit of slight wear on the wheels and the frame needed a bit of cleaning up, but nothing too crazy. 

We had similar chairs in the office which I was a fan of, and I'm incredibly anal about posture, have been since sitting on a stool in a science classroom for the first time. I'm also pretty sure my dad has a chronic back issue, which I want to do everything in my means to avoid, and at the time I ordered it I'd been working from a dining chair for a couple of weeks, which just isn't right for any workstation (too low, I could feel it causing circulation issues, so I needed to get up and walk about every 15 minutes). I'm also one of those people that goes big when they buy something so that it will last a while (either in terms of future-proofing or just paying for quality to avoid losing out to general wear and tear earlier than necessary). 

Zero complaints about it to be honest, which I think is the ideal scenario when it comes to chairs! 

Yeah a Herman Miller would be my first choice but there's no way I'm spending that kind of money on a chair.

In my experience, having arm rests on an office chair will only lead to aching shoulders. Off with 'em!

I just use my wife's old chair. It has wheels, can spin around and I can adjust the height. It's not particularly good but it does the job. It also scratches the floor so we need a mat underneath it before it makes permanent marks on the floor. I do want a new one but before that I would rather spend the money on a new desk where I can (easily) adjust the height so I can stand up some more during work. That is actually my preferred position when working (at the office at least).

I'm using an Ikea Markus office chair, it is a very good chair for £150. It's comfortable, sturdy and has a professional look to it. The only negatives are that it doesn't have loads of features, for example the arm rests aren't adjustable.

To be honest what I really want is a nice lounge la-z boy type recliner that can also be used as a desk chair but I've not had much luck finding one so far :laughing:

• Like 1

I stand almost all the time while I’m at home. I’d like to get something I can kneel on (I often do this as a bit of a break with my chair) and we have some balancing stools in the office which are quite nice.

My favourite chair of all time was the Patrick chair from IKEA:

MzEzYWU2MjljM2JiYjBmYTk4ZmNjNjA2Y2U2Mjll

Not sure why, but it just really suited the way I sat and I felt super comfy in it - I wish I could still get hold of one.

Ok well I've ordered my chair, should arrive on Friday. I went for the one I shared in the first post.

I spent the whole of the pandemic working from home while sat on a wicker armchair, and it was the comfiest damn chair I've ever sat in.

I used to get back and neck pain from work, but after a whole year of being sat at my dining table in front of my laptop, I haven't had any pain since.

10/10 would recommend.

9 minutes ago, bob said:

I spent the whole of the pandemic working from home while sat on a wicker armchair, and it was the comfiest damn chair I've ever sat in.

I used to get back and neck pain from work, but after a whole year of being sat at my dining table in front of my laptop, I haven't had any pain since.

10/10 would recommend.

My mum did the same thing with her job, it left her with back pain for at least a month. I had to go shopping with her to lift most stuff.

0/10 would not recommend 

My mum did the same thing with her job, it left her with back pain for at least a month. I had to go shopping with her to lift most stuff.
0/10 would not recommend 
That's funny, I didn't see your mum there, but then, I don't know what she looks like.

This is a wierd topic i can get behind! i need a new office chair for my girlfriend, she works from the dining room table but with an office chair thats fine but looks so out of place when everythign else is oak furniture, plus wheels don't work on thick pile carpet.

Do they even do 'stylish' office chairs? office chairs that don't have wheels? (since you have to get up and pick it up to move it)

I use the upstairs 'office' ( a space under the cabin bed with a monitor and an office chair) but since i'm out most days for work, or in our actual office, you would think she would just use that, but no, downstairs she stays because she likes looking out of the window. I do wonder how she gets any work done if thats her chief criteria for a work enviornment

Anyway i digress, I've had in the past an office chair and switched it for a gaming chair and its by far the worst chair. I don't really know what makes it a gaming chair? crippling pain? creaky? uncomfortable? not really things i'd associate with gaming.

57 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

This is a wierd topic i can get behind! i need a new office chair for my girlfriend, she works from the dining room table but with an office chair thats fine but looks so out of place when everythign else is oak furniture, plus wheels don't work on thick pile carpet.

Do they even do 'stylish' office chairs? office chairs that don't have wheels? (since you have to get up and pick it up to move it)

I use the upstairs 'office' ( a space under the cabin bed with a monitor and an office chair) but since i'm out most days for work, or in our actual office, you would think she would just use that, but no, downstairs she stays because she likes looking out of the window. I do wonder how she gets any work done if thats her chief criteria for a work enviornment

Anyway i digress, I've had in the past an office chair and switched it for a gaming chair and its by far the worst chair. I don't really know what makes it a gaming chair? crippling pain? creaky? uncomfortable? not really things i'd associate with gaming.

Looks like a lot of office style chairs without wheels use this kind of leg design

71qF88xZRKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 12/10/2021 at 5:40 PM, Will said:

I stand almost all the time while I’m at home. I’d like to get something I can kneel on (I often do this as a bit of a break with my chair) and we have some balancing stools in the office which are quite nice.

My favourite chair of all time was the Patrick chair from IKEA:

MzEzYWU2MjljM2JiYjBmYTk4ZmNjNjA2Y2U2Mjll

Not sure why, but it just really suited the way I sat and I felt super comfy in it - I wish I could still get hold of one.

Currently looking into getting mine reupholstered, because all the pandemic WFH has not been kind to it.

kILzO0Y.jpg

38 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Currently looking into getting mine reupholstered, because all the pandemic WFH has not been kind to it.

kILzO0Y.jpg

I’m jealous! Have been thinking I’ll see if I can pick up a second hand one when I get back and do exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this