Jump to content
NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive

Recommended Posts

Well I've seen some suggestions things like input lag has been improved and was just wondering what everyone's experience of that was like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ashley said:

And it's petty (and applies to the other consoles) but does anyone find the way they list games ugly as sin?

Yeah, it's pretty ugly because of the mismatch of sizes of the box art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Yeah, it's pretty ugly because of the mismatch of sizes of the box art.

Yeah but like there's an easy way to get around that; don't just dump all the box arts as is. Make little informational cards and have a fixed size. It's not a huge issue obviously but feels like a draft design that's been released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the way the NSO apps list the games, but only after I spent 5 minutes re-arranging everything to the same size and dumping the games I'm not interested in at the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ashley said:

And it's petty (and applies to the other consoles) but does anyone find the way they list games ugly as sin?

If the N64 games are listed the same as NES/SNES, then yes. I get that there are a lot of games to display and it's never going to look great, but my God is it an eyesore.

That said, I've always found Nintendo's UIs to be pretty bad, at least when it comes to the OS/dashboards.

Thankfully it's never been a deal-breaker for me, so I can just deal with it and forget all about it as soon as I've picked a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I love the way the NSO apps list the games, but only after I spent 5 minutes re-arranging everything to the same size and dumping the games I'm not interested in at the bottom.

That suggests you don't love the way they display the games, you love the way you display them ūüėč

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comicrazy (the font in the N64 Banjo-Kazooie) is a licensed font, so they probably didn't want to spend the money on relicensing it (around £750 for using it in an app, probably similar for a game - an emulated version can likely work off the original license). The new font is Andy. Incidentally, it's also the text font used in Terraria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cube said:

Comicrazy (the font in the N64 Banjo-Kazooie) is a licensed font, so they probably didn't want to spend the money on relicensing it (around £750 for using it in an app, probably similar for a game - an emulated version can likely work off the original license). The new font is Andy. Incidentally, it's also the text font used in Terraria. 

So, what we're saying is that in the year following Nintendo's greatest software sales total on record, that they couldn't afford a grand for a font?

Yeah, that sounds about right :p

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Julius said:

So, what we're saying is that in the year following Nintendo's greatest software sales total on record, that they couldn't afford a grand for a font?

Yeah, that sounds about right :p

I'm saying Microsoft chose not to spend money on a font for an XBLA title on the 360 (one that was also given away for free with a game) when a similar one was available for free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cube said:

I'm saying Microsoft chose not to spend money on a font for an XBLA title on the 360 (one that was also given away for free with a game) when a similar one was available for free. 

Ah my bad, got my wires crossed :smile: so what you're saying is that back when Xbox were beating PlayStation in sales... :p (I kid)

It's interesting seeing the discussion here about whether the Xbox version or Switch version is a better form of emulation for a game like Banjo-Kazooie, though. Look forward to seeing the revival of a similar debate for the N64 vs 3DS version of Majora's Mask next month! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Julius said:

Look forward to seeing the revival of a similar debate for the N64 vs 3DS version of Majora's Mask next month! :D

For the record, 3DS. Purely because of the Gyro controls. Aiming the bow is so much fun in that game, that I can overlook some of the other changes (the bad ones, anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2022 at 10:18 AM, Ashley said:

Well I've seen some suggestions things like input lag has been improved and was just wondering what everyone's experience of that was like

I forgot to actually answer this. Sorry.

Now, this is just going from my experience, and @Dcubed set up my TV to minimise input lag. (He's a whiz with that kind of stuff), so your mileage may vary, but the first thing I noticed playing Paper Mario was that the input lag was much better then the WiiU version.

I've never noticed any input lag from NSO. There is likely some, I don't think you can ever completely remove it, but it's unnoticeable to me. Then again, I'm the kind of person who wasn't that bothered by the common frame rate issues of games like Age of Calamity. I put that down to growing up with the N64, frame rate issues were part of the norm there. So I might just be more tolerant of it.

Now this is just me speculating, but quite a few N64 games can feel a bit stiff compared to modern equivalents, so that might give the impression of unresponsiveness.

But unless you're splitting a family plan with a few others, it's a very expensive ask. Portable N64 games with the possibility of previously impossible Rare games is really nice, but paying all that by yourself is probably not worth it.

Unless of course, you were one of those people who was planning on getting that Animal Crossing DLC anyway. Then there's an argument for it being worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2022 at 10:18 AM, Ashley said:

Well I've seen some suggestions things like input lag has been improved and was just wondering what everyone's experience of that was like

It's fine.  Going by some testing I did on my end, I've found it to be around 66-80 ms or so with 30FPS games (the grand majority of the N64's library).  I have no issues playing N64 games on Switch NSO and I'm a stickler for input lag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finding some lag in the room before Gobi's Desert with the revolving jump pad. Apart from that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I'm finding some lag in the room before Gobi's Desert with the revolving jump pad. Apart from that...

That was in the original cartridge version too.  That room lags like mad on original hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

But unless you're splitting a family plan with a few others, it's a very expensive ask. Portable N64 games with the possibility of previously impossible Rare games is really nice, but paying all that by yourself is probably not worth it.

Unless of course, you were one of those people who was planning on getting that Animal Crossing DLC anyway. Then there's an argument for it being worth it.

Yeah that's the thing, it just doesn't feel worth it for me. Especially not for a whole year. 

And I don't want the animal crossing DLC either ūüė≠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Glen-i said:

 

But unless you're splitting a family plan with a few others, it's a very expensive ask. Portable N64 games with the possibility of previously impossible Rare games is really nice, but paying all that by yourself is probably not worth it.

Unless of course, you were one of those people who was planning on getting that Animal Crossing DLC anyway. Then there's an argument for it being worth it.

I've split mine with the wife and the in the laws, because they loved the Mega Drive shizzle. However I'm crossing my fingers they're playing it as much as I am so it doesn't feel like a total waste.

 

Bollocks to Animal Crossing also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Glen-i said:

the possibility of previously impossible Rare games is really nice

This megaton has me reaching for my wallet. What are we talking, here? Dinosaur Planet? The Timber game? Twelve Tales Conker? 

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Bollocks to Animal Crossing also.

Didn't take ages for those in-laws to brainwash you in the ways of Sega. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

This megaton has me reaching for my wallet. What are we talking, here? Dinosaur Planet? The Timber game? Twelve Tales Conker?

Ha-de-ha-ha. You know I meant Rare games that Microsoft own the rights to.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring me Diddy Kong Racing or bring me death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Bring me Diddy Kong Racing or bring me death

I'd be amazed if that didn't happen eventually. It even got mentioned in Smash Ultimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up the expansion pass in Dec for Paper Mario and had a fantastic time revisiting this classic game. I then played through Banjo on the weekend of its release. Again, fantastic game that is still better than Mario 64. The service has paid for itself with these two games alone and I'm looking forward to playing Majora's Mask in Feb.

I do wonder how long they can keep dishing out N64 games. The console wasn't home to a large selection of games and that's before you cross off licensed products and stuff that 3rd parties won't release. I wonder if they keep back some bigger releases for when everyone's service is up for renewal.

I've quite enjoyed the Mega Drive offerings, although I have made short work of all the games. I think I have 3 left to finish, all of which are RPGs. It's a bit weird that Phantasy Star IV is on there but III isn't. I'm praying that Soleil hits this service. I've been wanting to play that for years.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Bring me Diddy Kong Racing or bring me death

As long as they don't add Tiny Kong and turn her into a tall teenager like the DS version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a bit weird that Phantasy Star IV is on there but III isn't.

I imagine it's the same reason why they chose it for the Mega Drive Mini and why Ninty went with Final Fantasy VI for the SNES mini. It's the better game.

Personally, I'm hoping Shining Force II comes soon. Been dying to play that after playing the first on the Mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×