NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

All N64 games on Switch require two Joycons.  No exceptions.

Couldn't you get around it using button remapping?

I can't remember if the C buttons are completely necessary in the first two games though. That might scupper plans.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Couldn't you get around it using button remapping?

I can't remember if the C buttons are completely necessary in the first two games though. That might scupper plans.

You can't button remap the N64 games.  They require two Joycons.

10 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

For the Mario Party vets, can they be played with single joycons, or two together? I never played them on the 64 so I dunno how many buttons they used, apart from going hardcore on the analogue stick

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

All N64 games on Switch require two Joycons.  No exceptions.

It actually very nearly works. I tried it yesterday when I was farming coins. I was playing in portable mode and you can have 2 players when the joycons are split. You can roll the dice and play the mini games. Where it falls over is when you need to press start to skip the mini game explanation. I can't try it now because I'm at work but I just had a thought. You could potentially get around this if you turn off the mini game instructions in the options. It would bypass the need to press start and head straight to the action. It that works then you can play the game with a single joycon after the initial setup.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Where it falls over is when you need to press start to skip the mini game explanation.

Wait, what about + or -?

Isn't Start the default setting for that?

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Mario Party 1 session going this Friday. You lot complain about online Mario Party needing to be a thing (and then proceed to completely ignore my requests for online Superstars), so it's about time some of you put your money where your mouth is!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wait, what about + or -?

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Mario Party 1 session going this Friday. You lot complain about online Mario Party needing to be a thing (and then proceed to completely ignore my requests for online Superstars), so it's about time some of you put your money where your mouth is!

I tried pressing both of those and neither would work. 

As for playing online, for whatever reason the Switch's online setup for their classic games is garbage for me, even when running it via ethernet. Plus, I'm now done and dusted with the game. 

Spoiler

FhGas7kaUAANao6?format=jpg&name=large

FhGas7cakAAo0_W?format=jpg&name=large

It took many an automated game to finally have enough coins to buy everything. :D 

FhGas74aYAAxY7W?format=jpg&name=large

In other news, I also finished Wave Race 64.

FgvSKiNaUAI8cwo?format=jpg&name=large

FgvSKiPaAAExC3q?format=jpg&name=large

FgvSKiSacAAXjmq?format=jpg&name=large

I really enjoyed my time playing this. There was a nice difficulty level in the game that very few racers seem to be able to balance correctly. There were so many times where I ended up crashing but I was still able to catch up with the leaders. This wasn't due to some rubber banding mechanic but rather that the AI doesn't play perfectly and will often crash themselves. Also, I liked that it was never one racer who always finished just behind me. Sure, one of the AI racers was essentially my rival but it was never a case of him or her always being on my tail. This gives the player some wriggle room when racking up the points of the leaderboard. 

I'm very happy to have finally sat down and played through the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might give WaveRace a go, I again tried Pilotwings and again just felt bored. And I've only done 2 missions. 

I want the 64 controller now, NAOW GODDAMIT NAAAAOW

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wait, what about + or -?

Hell yeah! Let’s do this! :D (Might be worth making a dedicated thread to drum up some interest; I’m at work today, so I can’t do it right now…)

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I tried pressing both of those and neither would work. 

As for playing online, for whatever reason the Switch's online setup for their classic games is garbage for me, even when running it via ethernet. Plus, I'm now done and dusted with the game. 

Ending Pics (Reveal hidden contents)

FhGas7kaUAANao6?format=jpg&name=large

FhGas7cakAAo0_W?format=jpg&name=large

It took many an automated game to finally have enough coins to buy everything. :D 

I really enjoyed my time playing this. There was a nice difficulty level in the game that very few racers seem to be able to balance correctly. There were so many times where I ended up crashing but I was still able to catch up with the leaders. This wasn't due to some rubber banding mechanic but rather that the AI doesn't play perfectly and will often crash themselves. Also, I liked that it was never one racer who always finished just behind me. Sure, one of the AI racers was essentially my rival but it was never a case of him or her always being on my tail. This gives the player some wriggle room when racking up the points of the leaderboard. 

Wave Race 64 is the best arcade game to never come out as an arcade cabinet.  The difficulty curve is just pitch perfect, the course design is absolutely S-tier, and the controls are just utterly sublime! Superb game that absolutely stands the test of time! :D

BTW, congrats on beating Reverse; that difficulty is no joke! (It’s so hard that it’s actually impossible for the CPU to legitimately qualify, even if it beats you by the final race :laughing:).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Wave Race 64 is the best arcade game to never come out as an arcade cabinet.  The difficulty curve is just pitch perfect, the course design is absolutely S-tier, and the controls are just utterly sublime! Superb game that absolutely stands the test of time! :D

BTW, congrats on beating Reverse; that difficulty is no joke! (It’s so hard that it’s actually impossible for the CPU to legitimately qualify, even if it beats you by the final race :laughing:).

Absolutely! NSO was my first experience and I fell so in love, I haven't spent that much time perfecting courses since Daytona USA. And grappling with the waves is so much fun! Even with absolutely no nostalgia for it, I would easily put it as one of the best games I've played all year. I almost keep forgetting it is an actual 64 title and not a 64 inspired indie classic, as the waves seem far beyond what the N64 should handle (though granted it takes some getting used to that FPS lol) 

And it has a special place in my heart for keeping me occupied when I had to go to A&E straight from work. My phone died not long into being there on account of it having been on all day, and I would end up waiting 9 hours to be seen. My Switch was in my work bag thankfully and Waverace kept me occupied at my more panicked moments wondering if I would ever escape the waiting room lol.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Port Blue is hilarious as the CPU so often go face planting into the walls. 

Also I only just noticed when seeing your screenshot, but the faces of the characters are surprisingly detailed textures, I mean they still don't look great lol, but compared to other titles using similar designs such as Goldeneye, these look really clear. You can really see the despair on her face, hidden behind her fake smile:

wavejpeg.jpg

Edited by Josh64
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is what you look like when you do too many mushrooms. 

• Haha 3

4 games announced and released for the Genesis/Megadrive a few hours ago:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always look forward to opening the thread when I see that Helmsley has posted in it. :D

I need to renew my subscription as it expired just this week. 

Aren't we due Mario Party 3 this month as well?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I always look forward to opening the thread when I see that Helmsley has posted in it. :D

I need to renew my subscription as it expired just this week. 

Aren't we due Mario Party 3 this month as well?

nsoexpackgames20222023.large.jpg

Nope.  Mario Party 3 is due next year (probably January).

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

nsoexpackgames20222023.large.jpg

Nope.  Mario Party 3 is due next year (probably January).

Baffling they didn't give us 1080 Snowboarding for the Christmas season.

• Like 2

moresegamegadrivetitlesaddedtonintendoswitchonlinebanner.620x0.webp

More Sega Mega Drive Titles Added To Nintendo Switch Online

Now up on the main page.

Overview for each game, and a trailer.

• Like 1

Started a file in Paper Mario 64. First time I've played it since it came out on N64. Wasn't prepared for the contrast to be so massive compared to the sterilised template Nintendo has distilled their games down to now. :blank: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Started a file in Paper Mario 64. First time I've played it since it came out on N64. Wasn't prepared for the contrast to be so massive compared to the sterilised template Nintendo has distilled their games down to now. :blank: 

It's such a magical game. I played through it last Christmas and it totally holds up.

12 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Started a file in Paper Mario 64.

Finish the game with 5 HP. You know you want to.

eR8KMuJ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Ironically, the tankiest setup in the game.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's such a magical game. I played through it last Christmas and it totally holds up.

Hoping to stick with it and do that this year. :) Would love to get to the snow area as it was cracking stuff. Just remember the toy box chapter as being a bit of a slog back in the day but I was probably just being a noob. 

I thought I remembered PM64 as better than it actually is, but it seems I've had my rose-tinted glasses on back to front as they genuinely don't make em like this anymore. It's making me wonder if I don't give TTYD enough credit either! 

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Finish the game with 5 HP. You know you want to.

I don't really. Maybe another time though. There's been enough time between playthroughs now that playing it normally will do me nicely.

I've increased FP though I'm pretty sure I've already got 10hp so that might be off the table anyway. 

14 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I don't really. Maybe another time though. There's been enough time between playthroughs now that playing it normally will do me nicely.

I've increased FP though I'm pretty sure I've already got 10hp so that might be off the table anyway. 

Oh no, you don't start the game with 5HP. That's something you can do after Chapter 1.

It's only something you really do when you have extensive knowledge of where the required badges are, though.

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh no, you don't start the game with 5HP. That's something you can do after Chapter 1.

It's only something you really do when you have extensive knowledge of where the required badges are, though.

Yup.  Look up the “Danger Mario” run strat if you fancy a new way of playing PM64 (ironically, having 5hp actually makes for the most powerful Mario setup possible in PM64 :laughing:)

Edited by Dcubed

Went back for a bit more Paper Mario 64. Turns out my memory of it is far from comprehensive so the replay is almost like going through it for new again. Picked up from the desert level (chapter 2) and left it saved in the toy box (chapter 4). All I remembered of chapter 3 was the opening forest and Tubba Blubba himself. As for what happened in between, I was impressed with what I thought was a change of pace this early on in the game—the way I incorrectly remembered it was that every chapter up until the last one followed a similar formula. There's a lot of creativity here that sticks out all the more since I played Origami King within the last year. Tbqh, I thought the use of generic toads, goombas, koopas, etc in modern Paper Mario wasn't a massive thing to worry about however now I'm being reminded exactly what has been lost and I want it back. :( So much visual personality. 

uc?export=view&id=1Ijo-bdau0rpn2xycxGMsU

Mistakes have been made with the PM series. It's almost had me wishing that Retro Studios Boo game would get green-lit.

• Thanks 1

GoldenEye arrives this Friday (27th January):

(direct trailer embed for the lazy):

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2