NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I suppose it's time for another sacrifice to SEGA in the desperate hope that I'll finally be able to play Shining Force 2.

IT WORKED!

YES! I know what's on my next to play list once Grandia is done!

Of course Sonic Spinball inevitably brings the quality down, but I don't care!

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Who or what did you sacrifice? @Dcubed, post if you're okay.

Soleil and Rocket Knight Adventures died for @Glen-i's sins...

• Haha 1

So that just leaves Pokemon Snap as the lone N64 NSO game announced but not yet released... How convinient that the current N64 wave runs out right before E3...

I still think that N64 is gonna dry up completely after this wave, despite there being plenty of games still left over to be released... but they'll fill the hole by announcing GB/GBA games for NSO instead.

50 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I still think that N64 is gonna dry up completely after this wave, despite there being plenty of games still left over to be released... but they'll fill the hole by announcing GB/GBA games for NSO instead.

Meanwhile, I don't buy this. Why even negotiate with Microsoft if you're not even gonna bother with getting at least both Banjo games?

I say that directed to you as if I haven't made that point to your face already. Just getting my opinion there.

It has now occurred to me that Nintendo may have saved Crystal Shards for now, just because they expected Forgotten Land to raise demand for Kirby.

Normally, you'd expect a company to use the older games to promote the latest release in a series, but Nintendo instead used the latest release to promote an old game (and by extension, the NSO). It's an unusual situation.

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

It has now occurred to me that Nintendo may have saved Crystal Shards for now, just because they expected Forgotten Land to raise demand for Kirby.

The funny coincidence is that Kirby 64, along with Forgotten Land, are two of the very few Kirby games where Kirby can't float forever.

I've been playing a bit of Kirby 64 this evening. Man, it's rough. It's so slow, boring and I can't stomach more than a couple of levels before taking a break from it. Anyway, the reason I wanted to post here is because I ran into a nasty glitch that I don't recall ever happening on the N64 version of the game and wanted to give others a heads up.

Basically, if you get hit by this mini boss, Kirby freezes and you can't do anything. Make sure to make a save when you reach this thing.

I manged to replicate it numerous times.

• Like 1

Well, that's definitely getting patched before Pokémon Snap drops. That's certainly not a thing in the original game.

Edited by Glen-i

On 13/05/2022 at 11:49 PM, Glen-i said:

The funny coincidence is that Kirby 64, along with Forgotten Land, are two of the very few Kirby games where Kirby can't float forever.

Seems like H-o-T's playthrough was just determined to prove you wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Knocked out a few more games from the service over the past week.

Spoiler

FUVLd4GUAAIIcwm?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLd3_UsAEKGdz?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLd5BUEAA6CyC?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLd32UcAE7wen?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLrlxUsAYqB4d?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLrl6VsAAC6JC?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLrlaUAAAdmR5?format=jpg&name=large

FUVLrliUYAEl28L?format=jpg&name=large

I've nothing much to say about Space Harrier 2 and M.U.S.H.A. other than they were both fun to play. SH2 is essentially a longer version of the original game and as for M.U.S.H.A., i'm just happy I finally got to play it.

Another game I finished was Mario Golf. 

Spoiler

FUVMCqoVsAAvKjt?format=jpg&name=large

Man, this was such a joy to play through. I did find it weird that the game is called Mario Golf and yet he isn't even available to use when you start the game. He's not even one a character that you can unlock early on. You have to unlock a bunch of others before he shows up Very strange.

Once unlocked, my go to character was Maple.

FUVMCqwVsAANvIr?format=jpg&name=large

I never like dealing with fade shot characters and so someone who doesn't have a majorly powerful shot but shoots straight is my go to choice. Also, her little dance is adorable. 

I love how this game, despite being a golf game, totally reminds me of games like Shining The Holy Ark and Golden Sun. This is thanks to the character portraits and the fantastic soundtrack by Motoi Sakurba. These two things got me feeling very nostalgic for both of the games I mentioned. Camelot games used to have a certain feel to them but that has been lost in more recent years. They certainly aren't the studio they once were. :( 

The simple golfing system, colourful courses and lots of unlockables kept me entertained for a long time. It's just a shame that the 4 GBC characters can't be unlocked here. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of the data found that shows this service may support GBC-N64 link up games. Time will tell...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm wanting one of those sweet N64 controllers to use with this, because playing with the Switch controller is bollocks, but Nintendo don't seem to know a boombastic business model and aren't giving the people what they want (and I'm resisting the ebay scalper temptation) has anyone been using any of the third party ones available?

9 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I'm wanting one of those sweet N64 controllers to use with this, because playing with the Switch controller is bollocks, but Nintendo don't seem to know a boombastic business model and aren't giving the people what they want (and I'm resisting the ebay scalper temptation) has anyone been using any of the third party ones available?

The frustrating thing is that the US have apparantly been getting some restocks over the past few weeks, but we've been getting sod all!

I can't speak for any 3rd party knockoffs on Switch; but I can say that I'm super glad I ordered 4 of the Switch N64 NSO controllers while I could! They're the tits! :D

On 03/06/2022 at 6:35 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

Just checked at the weekend as I fancied one too and of course they were out of stock. I shouldn't have been surprised but for some reason I thought the stock issues had been resolved by now.

9 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Just checked at the weekend as I fancied one too and of course they were out of stock. I shouldn't have been surprised but for some reason I thought the stock issues had been resolved by now.

I've been checking every day, I know it's useless to check like that but I hope it'll pay off one day.

44 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I've been checking every day, I know it's useless to check like that but I hope it'll pay off one day.

When that day comes, notify us as soon as you secure one for yourself.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 6:35 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

I did see a rumour on Twitter earlier (but the search is being rubbish so can't find it) that a controller will be released alongside the soon-to-be-announced Goldeneye port. Pinch of salt of course. 

Oh I found it

• Like 1

They can’t restock the standard controller, but they can release a limited edition one?

Yup.  Sounds like Nintendo alright!

59 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They can’t restock the standard controller, but they can release a limited edition one?

Yup.  Sounds like Nintendo alright!

Maybe Microsoft is doing it instead.

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Maybe Microsoft is doing it instead.

Wow, that'd be kinda cool to have an official N64 controller that can work with an XBox!

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I did see a rumour on Twitter earlier (but the search is being rubbish so can't find it) that a controller will be released alongside the soon-to-be-announced Goldeneye port. Pinch of salt of course. 

Oh I found it

Beggars can't be choosers so give us a link if this happens (and is Switch compatible, preferably).