NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Come on, Nintendo, add the F-Zero X Expansion Pak to this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see them big up the online multiplayer support.  This is the first time we've ever gotten any form of online multiplayer support for an F-Zero game!

4 player F-Zero X is a riot! :D

58 minutes ago, Cube said:

Come on, Nintendo, add the F-Zero X Expansion Pak to this!

Assuming you are referring to the 64DD Expansion Kit, quite right--it should be available on Wii U free of charge, and frankly, it's simply unacceptable that it isn't. 

;)

31 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Nice to see them big up the online multiplayer support.  This is the first time we've ever gotten any form of online multiplayer support for an F-Zero game!

Riots were mandatory since there was no music in 4-player. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

If only we could get more people online with it. I remember when the game was out and you had 30 racers per race and people imagined future F-Zero games having online with 30 people in it. Come on Nintendo, make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

If only we could get more people online with it. I remember when the game was out and you had 30 racers per race and people imagined future F-Zero games having online with 30 people in it. Come on Nintendo, make it happen.

Ironically enough, an F-Zero battle royale with 30+ players online would actually make perfect sense!

How are the controls and input lag? I'd love to have a decent version of 60hz F-Zero X to play, but after the Wii U release I'm not very optimistic.

5 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

How are the controls and input lag? I'd love to have a decent version of 60hz F-Zero X to play, but after the Wii U release I'm not very optimistic.

Not tried it yet, but the general feel of it is that the N64 games run fine now.

The C-Buttons are only used in F-Zero X to move the camera, so it'll play fine on a Pro Controller.

56 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I played a couple of cups before heading to work this morning and the controls are fine on the easiest difficulty but they may be an issue on higher levels. The problem is the same one that raises its head when playing other N64 games on the Switch in that the Pro Controller and JoyCon sticks seem too loose and sensitive. There were a few times where the Blue Falcon would skid when taking a corner and it would be difficult to stabilize it. Nintendo really need to get more N64 controllers out in the wild.

As for the framerate, I can't speak about it myself because I don't take much notice of these things but people on Era are saying there a dips across various courses. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As for the framerate, I can't speak about it myself because I don't take much notice of these things but people on Era are saying there a dips across various courses. 

Yeah, this is normal for F-Zero X.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, this is normal for F-Zero X.

The guys talking about it were saying there are dips not present in the original version of the game.

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The guys talking about it were saying there are dips not present in the original version of the game.

See, I'm wondering how much of that is actually true, or how much of that is confirmation bias.

It's hard to tell unless you get a digital foundary style comparison.

2 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Based on playing the Jack Cup this morning (six races) on the Pro Controller, I'd say the only thing to be concerned about here is the stick being a bit finicky. For example, my muscle memory knew the path I wanted to take around Big Blue to hit some of the yellow boost arrows, but my thumb just wasn't getting the right adjustments on the stick. So, that'll take some getting used to. Visually it seemed smooth and faithful to the N64. But of course, there will be better judges than me on that so check around. I noticed a cloud popping in which was weird enough that I'm mentioning it although that could be 1:1 with the N64 original and I just don't remember it.

Anyway, pretty certain I haven't played this from the N64 days when I used to delete the save data and start over again (!) so it was nice romp through the first cup with 6/6 wins and 2 stars... i.e. two kills! There's life in the old dog yet. :p 

• Like 1

I hadn't seen any impressions of F-Zero X on Switch before I fired it up this afternoon and, to be honest, the performance was immediately questionable.

For a game somewhat renowned for being 60Hz, the frame rate seemed off straight out of the gate.

I'm definitely not a frames per second snob but I can't recall ever noticing anything like this in any previous version of the game I've played.

I'm glad it's on here (goodness knows Switch could do with a few good racing games other than Mario Kart) but it does make the non-existence of F-Zero GX HD all the more frustrating!

• Like 1

OK, how do I do the spinning attack in F-Zero X on the Pro Controller? They really need to add some kind of instructions for non N64 controller.

14 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

OK, how do I do the spinning attack in F-Zero X on the Pro Controller? They really need to add some kind of instructions for non N64 controller.

Either hold ZL and double tap R or Hold R and double tap ZL :smile:

• Like 1

Was this how it was originally done? I'm sure on the N64 it was Z double tap? 

This just shows Nintendo need to get more N64 controllers for Switch out there and let more people who are not gonna scalp them buy them.

Just now, BowserBasher said:

Was this how it was originally done? I'm sure on the N64 it was Z double tap? 

This just shows Nintendo need to get more N64 controllers for Switch out there and let more people who are not gonna scalp them buy them.

Double tap ZL or R to barge opponents on either the left or right (dis)respectfully!

Light Crusader, Alien Soldier and Super Fantasy Zone are all being added today to the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis NSO library. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alien Soldier might well be the single best game on the console.  It's Treasure at their finest! :D

Meanwhile, Light Crusader is... not Treasure at their finest...

A high, a low, and a creamy middle.

Edited by Dcubed

I still have this awful feeling that releases are gonna dry up as soon as Mario Golf gets released…