NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I picked up the expansion pass in Dec for Paper Mario and had a fantastic time revisiting this classic game. I then played through Banjo on the weekend of its release. Again, fantastic game that is still better than Mario 64. The service has paid for itself with these two games alone and I'm looking forward to playing Majora's Mask in Feb.

I do wonder how long they can keep dishing out N64 games. The console wasn't home to a large selection of games and that's before you cross off licensed products and stuff that 3rd parties won't release. I wonder if they keep back some bigger releases for when everyone's service is up for renewal.

I've quite enjoyed the Mega Drive offerings, although I have made short work of all the games. I think I have 3 left to finish, all of which are RPGs. It's a bit weird that Phantasy Star IV is on there but III isn't. I'm praying that Soleil hits this service. I've been wanting to play that for years.

sonic-and-tails-fist-bump-sonic-fist-bum

That and Rocket Knight Adventures 1 & 2 are basically the only cartridge MD games that I actually want that are still absent from my library in one form or another.  Can't help but feel that this is basically our last chance of ever seeing them get a re-release, so let's pray that it finally happens!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

On 31/01/2022 at 2:17 PM, darksnowman said:

Didn't take ages for those in-laws to brainwash you in the ways of Sega. 

Never been a fan of the series to be honest.

On my third attempt of a controller for le Banjo, the punk Sword and Shield Pro controller, it has better sensitivity for slow walking, but I'm starting Rusty Bucket Bay and I'm abusing those load states like a bitch in the engine room.

I did start Phantasy Star IV, but sadly it got pushed to the wayside. I did start Breath of Fire, but when I learned it was what was ported to the GBA, which I have done previously, it was abandoned. I am fully aware of the irony here.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Man we've been spoilt with better cameras in games lately. Started playing Banjo Kazooie and bloody hell that camera control is annoying. Having to use the Pro Controller as I still don't have a N64 one yet, I went to use the GC controller thinking that would be a good alternative, but there's no way to assign Z, so I can't even crouch in the game. But the Pro controller seems to hold it'w own and is decent enough to use. 

done the first world 100% and second world just missing one honeycomb. Onto the next. Still love the dialogue in the game, snarky from the get go an still funny.

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Having to use the Pro Controller as I still don't have a N64 one yet, I went to use the GC controller thinking that would be a good alternative, but there's no way to assign Z, so I can't even crouch in the game. But the Pro controller seems to hold its own and is decent enough to use.

Isn't there a way to remap controller inputs now? Since a few updates ago, I believe. I've never used it personally though, so perhaps there are limitations to it.

The update at the time seemed to suggest that the remapping is done at OS level, though again, perhaps Nintendo Switch Online NES/SNES/N64 apps work differently?

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Isn't there a way to remap controller inputs now? Since a few updates ago, I believe. I've never used it personally though, so perhaps there are limitations to it.

The update at the time seemed to suggest that the remapping is done at OS level, though again, perhaps Nintendo Switch Online NES/SNES/N64 apps work differently?

You can't do that with Gamecube controllers unfortunately... at least not when using the official GCN controller adapter.  The Switch OS simply just doesn't let you change button mapping for anything other than a Joycon or a Switch Pro Controller (No GCN controllers or NES/SNES/N64/MD controllers).

It's only possible with unofficial adapters that trick the Switch into thinking that the GCN controller is a Switch Pro Controller (such as the G-Bros adapter).

Edited by Dcubed

32 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

What @Dcubed said. First thing I tried to do. I'm actually finding it OK to use the Pro controller though.

Hmm, OK. Maybe that's something which could be added in to a future update, though if that's how it's set up, then there are probably limits due to how the original layout of the controller is, and how the official USB to GC controller adapter works.

It's a shame that the Raphnet N64/GC to USB adapter version 3.0 doesn't work with the Switch, as that could potentially allow you to use real N64 controllers on it.

It's a great adapter if you want to use N64/GC controllers on a PC though.

Majora's Mask is getting added February 25th:

It's a race to stop the moon and save the world! The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask will become available for Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack members on February 25! Upon landing in the mystical world of Termina, Link must embark on an urgent quest to solve the mystery of the moon, save the world from destruction, and find his way back to the peaceful land of Hyrule in just three days! Use the ocarina's power to manipulate time, and plan your schedule as you solve mind-boggling puzzles and dungeons!

Effective counter-programming if you ask me :p

Edited by Julius

Called it. Knew it'd be the end of the month.

Suppose I should finish off OoT, huh? I'm at the Spirit Temple, so it's feasible.

Good stuff. I look forward to replaying the superior N64 version of Majora's Mask. I still need to play through OoT on the Switch and may fire it up this weekend in preparation for MM.

• Thanks 1

Confirmed for Friday over here by the Nintendo UK Twitter:

Seemed unlikely it'd drop on a Saturday but I know we've been left to wait a little longer (by date) than the US before, so wanted to be sure! 

At this point I think I'll try to make a concerted effort to get through what NES and SNES games I can before my subscription is up in September, then I might consider upgrading to the Expansion Pack tier. 

Edited by Julius

It's great to finally have a date for Majora's Mask because it means we're a step closer to revealing the next N64 game that might actually be worth looking forward to :cheeky:

It's time for Pilotwings 64!

Edited by nekunando
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nekunando said:

It's great to finally have a date for Majora's Mask because it means we're a step closer to revealing the next N64 game that might actually be worth looking forward to :cheeky:

I'm disappointed you didn't say Wave Race. :D 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm disappointed you didn't say Wave Race. :D 

The time for Wave Race was day one!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Spoiler

Think Wave Race and Pilotwings 64 are both a given. Wonder if they can get ISS.

3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

The international space station might be too much of an ask

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The international space station might be too much of an ask

What about Space Station Silicon Valley?

22 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Cannon (Reveal hidden contents)

Pilotwings 64 would actually be a pretty big ask.  It's one of the few first party N64 games that have never been re-released in any form (probably something to do with the fact that it was developed by Paradigm Simulation; whoever bought them out probably still has some rights to the game somehow).

Either way, we won't be seeing anything that wasn't shown off in the initial announcement video for a good while yet.  The next few months will consist of Mario GolfF-Zero XKirby 64 and Pokemon Snap (unless the Goldeneye rumours actually pan out and we see that hit both Xbox and Switch within the next few months!).

Edited by Dcubed

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Pilotwings 64 would actually be a pretty big ask.  It's one of the few first party N64 games that have never been re-released in any form (probably something to do with the fact that it was developed by Paradigm Simulation; whoever bought them out probably still has some rights to the game somehow).

Either way, we won't be seeing anything that wasn't shown off in the initial announcement video for a good while yet.  The next few months will consist of Mario GolfF-Zero XKirby 64 and Pokemon Snap (unless the Goldeneye rumours actually pan out and we see that hit both Xbox and Switch within the next few months!).

Hardly think it'd be Mission: Impossible. ;) 

Played some OoT this evening and I'm finding the controls on the joycons far too sensitive when it comes to aiming with the slingshot. Took me ages to get a perfect score on the target minigame. It will be a nightmare when it comes to the horseback archery for the Poes and targets. I'll see how it goes when using a pro controller. I really should have snapped up the N64 controller when it was on sale.

42 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Son of a....

That's a well timed, nuisance "HEY!" to go with your broken bones, good sir!

• Haha 4
  • Weird 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Son of a....

The amount of times that has happened to me is massive.

There's always one I've overlooked.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Son of a....

And yet you still only lost half a heart. If that was Breath of the Wild, you would have rag dolled for 10 minutes, lost all your hearts, had Mipha restore them, then rolled off a cliff into water and died.

• Haha 4