NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Banjo-Kazooie will support Stop N' Swop this time now that it's on NSO, right? ...Right?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 3

On 1/21/2022 at 7:43 PM, Glen-i said:

Shame that it gave rise to a glitch that could render the game impossible to 100%. And the camera's crap. And the cutscenes are borked. And the cheats are useless.

Don't forget the ugly HUD, the horrendous Comic Sans esc font and the lost Nintendo references too!  The enhanced draw distance also breaks the design of the game's levels, with objects being visible when they shouldn't be (most notably the hidden Empty Honeycomb in Treasure Trove Cove).

BK 360 is crap; gimme the original N64 version any day! (All the better that we now have the N64 version in HD and without the slowdown now; it's even portable too! :D)

Edited by Dcubed

Don't forget the ugly HUD, the horrendous Comic Sans esc font and the lost Nintendo references too!  The enhanced draw distance also breaks the design of the game's levels, with objects being visible when they shouldn't be (most notably the hidden Empty Honeycomb in Treasure Trove Cove).

BK 360 is crap; gimme the original N64 version any day! (All the better that we now have the N64 version in HD and without the slowdown now; it's even portable too! )

Say what you will about the X360 version but let's not pretend playing the original version on N64 is better in this day and age. You can point out as many specific issues with the X360 version as you want but it's a clear performance upgrade on the original. It's not even easy to play N64 games on modern TVs these days so it's been a great alternative for many years now.

Also, Nintendo locking these games behind a subscription (in which you must also pay extra for online, which you may not even want) is garbage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Say what you will about the X360 version but let's not pretend playing the original version on N64 is better in this day and age. You can point out as many specific issues with the X360 version as you want but it's a clear performance upgrade on the original. It's not even easy to play N64 games on modern TVs these days so it's been a great alternative for many years now.

Also, Nintendo locking these games behind a subscription (in which you must also pay extra for online, which you may not even want) is garbage.

Don't care.  I'd rather play the game on original N64 hardware than the 360 version; it just plays better, even with the worse performance.

Same goes for BT and PD (which I am fully aware both run like garbage on the original hardware), the issues are really egregious in particular with those two games.

Graphics & performance aren't everything.  There are worse remasters out there sure, but I still stand by the belief that the 360 versions are inferior to the originals (while we're at it, same goes for Conker Live & Reloaded compared to BFD).

Honestly? Most video game remakes are worse than their respective original counterparts; it's actually pretty rare that a remake or remaster is flat out better than the original in every respect (Shadow of the Colossus PS3 vs PS4 is a great example of this actually; I'd say that the PS3 version is absolutely superior to the PS2 original in every respect, while the PS4 remake leaves a lot to be desired.  SOTC PS3 is still the definitive way to play the game IMO), or even worth playing alongside the original (ALA Kirby Super Star Ultra/KSS or Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland/Kirby's Adventure).

I'd much rather see the original versions of games get high quality emulations that preserve the original experience than to see them get remasters that almost always have something fiddled with and altered in a way that does not reflect the original game's intended design.

Edited by Dcubed

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Don't care.  I'd rather play the game on original N64 hardware than the 360 version; it just plays better, even with the worse performance.

Same goes for BT and PD (which I am fully aware both run like garbage on the original hardware), the issues are really egregious in particular with those two games.

Graphics & performance aren't everything.  There are worse remasters out there sure, but I still stand by the belief that the 360 versions are inferior to the originals (while we're at it, same goes for Conker Live & Reloaded compared to BFD).

Honestly? Most video game remakes are worse than their respective original counterparts; it's actually pretty rare that a remake or remaster is flat out better than the original in every respect (Shadow of the Colossus PS3 vs PS4 is a great example of this actually; I'd say that the PS3 version is absolutely superior to the PS2 original in every respect, while the PS4 remake leaves a lot to be desired.  SOTC PS3 is still the definitive way to play the game IMO), or even worth playing alongside the original (ALA Kirby Super Star Ultra/KSS or Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland/Kirby's Adventure).

I'd much rather see the original versions of games get high quality emulations that preserve the original experience than to see them get remasters that almost always have something fiddled with and altered in a way that does not reflect the original game's intended design.

It hardly "plays" better, though, does it? Sluggishly low frame rate and oil smear resolution awaits if you hook up an N64 to a modern TV these days.

Also talking about cutscenes, for me that's hardly a big deal for this kind of game. This isn't Final Fantasy we're talking about. I'd rather have the game looking and running smoother for 99% of the time than the other 1%.

I played the X360 version when it launched and I thought it was a massive improvement on playing the original game. I think the problem here is tabulating every "fault" of the X360 version and giving it equal weight to the faults of the original. The areas the X360 version improves on are really significant IMO. I think you're giving way too much credit to preserving the original game, even for the sake of it.

• Like 2

Just want to point out that I literally could not beat the final boss of Banjo Tooie on XBox because the controls were so awful.

Doesn't apply to BK, of course. But the emulation quality is so good on NSO! Really impressive, given how troublesome it has been for emulators in the past.

Ocarina of Time's Dark Link Room was clearly sacrificed to the emulation gods to get this (and Paper Mario) to run so nice.

How are these games when played with the Pro Controller or JoyCons? I really want to be able to play using the N64 controller but until the Nintendo store gets some more in that won't happen. What's the best alternative?

7 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

How are these games when played with the Pro Controller or JoyCons? I really want to be able to play using the N64 controller but until the Nintendo store gets some more in that won't happen. What's the best alternative?

I think that the default mapping is actually pretty good for most games not called Sin & Punishment.  The hold toggle for the C-Buttons (ABXY becomes C-UDLR when holding R) works pretty well for games like Banjo Kazooie and Zelda OoT that use them as action buttons.

For games that stick with using the C-Buttons primarily for the camera (or don't use them at all?) I'd recommend the Gamecube controller; it's probably the next best thing to using the Switch N64 controller.

But yes, get the Switch N64 controller ASAP; it is excellent! Absolutely spot on, right down the the control stick feel and the meaty rumble motor! And you can even use them on real N64 hardware with the Intec Gaming Wireless Adapter! (I bought 4 of these bad boys, totally worth it! Even the bloody Transfer Pak works!!)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

For games that stick with using the C-Buttons primarily for the camera (or don't use them at all?) I'd recommend the Gamecube controller; it's probably the next best thing to using the Switch N64 controller.

Be forewarned, however, that the GameCube controller lacks a native ZL button, so you won't be able to access the system menu without a second controller connected. (Same goes for the home button and the capture button)

Other then that? It's fine for games like Mario 64/Mario Kart/Mario Tennis.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I think that the default mapping is actually pretty good for most games not called Sin & Punishment.

See this is why I asked. that's one of the games I wanted to play and tried it out when I got the expansion pack, but wow, I wasn't getting the hang of it. I think that really does need a N64 controller.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Be forewarned, however, that the GameCube controller lacks a native ZL button, so you won't be able to access the system menu without a second controller connected. (Same goes for the home button and the capture button)

That's no issue for me. I have both the GC controller connected (pretty much for Smash) and my pro controller for every other game.

Thanks guys, no to play the waiting game for Nintendo to get the N64 controllers back. Ain't no way I'm paying scalper prices on eBay. (the lowest price I've seen is £70)

Done!

XagJc2I_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

1 unintentional death in Rusty Bucket Bay (Because of course it was there). Got all 24 honeycomb pieces, the three Cheato Cheats, every Bottles Bonus Challenge, and the 7 Stop N' Swop items for what I'm coining "One hundred and Tooie percent".

Outside of one small visual effect being missing (reflections in the ice cube enemy), the emulation is perfect. It's really impressive!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/01/2022 at 9:50 AM, Dcubed said:

Comic Sans is used to perfection here. I can't imagine a better font to use.

I'm dying a fair bit, at least 3-4 tiimes, and I've just opened Freezeezy Peak (but not started) I've sorted Mumbo's Mountain/Trove Cove/Clanker* and two left to go in Bubblegloop, the inside croc one which I'll need the shoes for, and the one near Mumbos hut which the joycon enjoys being waaay too sensitive and I keep falling off.

I can't wait for the 64 controller to be back in stock, this fapping around with the "C" buttons really grates, I keep getting the camera sides mixed up and when you're either trying to move the camera/shoot eggs it likes to fuck about.

The wife got one of those wired Gamecube controllers awhile back, may hook that up and give it a try.

*not all honeycomb pieces though 

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
Uh'mazin

The only time I've ever tolerated Comic Sans is in Undertale. Awful font.

26 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

*not all honeycomb pieces though 

If it's any consoloation, the last 6 pieces do absolutely nothing to your health.

I'm playing through this again. Going for a much faster standard 100% time. At the exact same point you're at. (Plus the Jiggy you skipped and the honeycomb pieces) 1 hour, 8 minutes, 23 seconds leaving Bubblegloop

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Not to defend Comic Sans but it has shown to be helpful to people with specific learning difficulties so it has at least some use. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Not to defend Comic Sans but it has shown to be helpful to people with specific learning difficulties so it has at least some use. 

That's all well and good, but I highly doubt any game developer included it for that specific reason.

It is one of the most easily read fonts so maybe...

But unlikely

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

The only time I've ever tolerated Comic Sans is in Undertale. Awful font.

What font would you have preferred? Arial?!

To be honest I never gave the font any thought in this game then, or now, it compliments the aesthetic perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

What font would you have preferred? Arial?!

Whatever font they use in the N64 version? It was fine as is.

Done again!

FKJiSHFVkAI67cE?format=jpg&name=large

I'm very upset with myself. I died unintentionally in Click Clock Wood and had to re-collect the Jinjos, thankfully, I already had all the notes, but that blunder bumped me up above 4 hours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Whatever font they use in the N64 version? It was fine as is.

Did they change it for the online one? Can't say I noticed. But it does look like  comic sans I will admit.

11 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Did they change it for the online one? Can't say I noticed. But it does look like  comic sans I will admit.

No, they changed it on the XBLA version.

banjo-kazooie-xbox-one-save-file-screen.

Eurgh! It's actually worse then I remember!

Who knows, maybe the font is a victim of the Rare/Nintendo split. 

On a different topic for those who have been using it for a while has the recent update fixed some of the issues from launch?

And it's petty (and applies to the other consoles) but does anyone find the way they list games ugly as sin?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

On a different topic for those who have been using it for a while has the recent update fixed some of the issues from launch?

If by issues, you mean the visual glitches, then the Paper Mario update fixed a visual glitch with Lylat Wars.
And this recent one fixed the reflection problems in a certain room in Ocarina of Time.

Edited by Glen-i