NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

24 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah I guess having N64 one week, Mega Drive the next, SNES the following and then NES so you have new games every week but stretch each console out would be a strategy although I doubt that's actually happening.

Honestly? I have a bad feeling that NES/SNES are done as far as new titles go.

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Honestly? I have a bad feeling that NES/SNES are done as far as new titles go.

Yeah, they're done.  Nintendo stopped releasing 1st party games for them a long time ago and we've been stuck with the bottom of the barrel City Connection/Piko Interactive/Throwback Entertainment copyright free (essentially) NES/SNES releases for well over a year now.

Edited by Dcubed

34 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, they're done.  Nintendo stopped releasing 1st party games for them a long time ago and we've been stuck with the bottom of the barrel City Connection/Piko Interactive/Throwback Entertainment copyright free (essentially) NES/SNES releases for well over a year now.

I think they're the ones who ended up with the Extreme-G licence (and did literally nothing with it). Might be the possibility of XG1 and XG2 on Switch online at some point?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I think they're the ones who ended up with the Extreme-G licence (and did literally nothing with it). Might be the possibility of XG1 and XG2 on Switch online at some point?

Yup, they are indeed the current owners of the Extreme G games (as well as Iggi's 'recking Balls); so I fully expect them to show up on the N64 NSO service eventually.

Piko Interactive also own Glover 1 & 2 (the unreleased sequel) and 40 Winks (the unreleased N64 version); so likewise, expect them too.

These are the bottom of the barrel stuff that will appear on N64 NSO at the end of its life; they literally give these games away legally for free alongside purchases of Everdrives FFS! (I got them with my ones, so I would know).

That being said? Nintendo appears to actually be putting some proper money into licensing for their N64 & MD games this time around (unlike with the NES/SNES NSO games), so I'm a bit more hopeful that we may actually get games that people care about this time around (like the rest of Rare's catalogue sans Goldeneye, the Mystical Ninja N64 games; and maybe even Crusaider of Centy/Soleil!?).

Edited by Dcubed

BTW, worth noting that this is the first time that the MD version of Thunder Force 2 has EVER been re-released! (We’ve seen Thunder Force 3, AC and 4 re-released in one form or another, but never 2!).

Bodes well for Rocket Knight Adventures 1 & 2 and Crusader of Centy/Soleil :D

• Like 2

The person playing B-K in that trailer has K.K. Slider as their profile pic. Nice touch.

Man, they were REALLY holding off showing the Nintendo logo.  They knew we were all waiting to see if it was there lol!

Nice to know that this really is the original N64 version without compromise :)

Can’t believe that after almost 2 decades, the Bear & Bird will finally return home this week! :D

Edited by Dcubed

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Why do we have to wait an extra day!? :cry:

To simulate the experience of having to wait for N64 games to release in Europe. Authentic!

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

12 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Why do we have to wait an extra day!? :cry:

50 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

To simulate the experience of having to wait for N64 games to release in Europe. Authentic!

If only the delays had been a day!

Are America and Europe on different drop day cycles? Can't actually recall now.

Majora's Mask will be February's game.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wow, Banjo Kazooie holds up really well. You wouldn't think the game is 24 years old

YES!!! THE CUTSCENES AREN‘T BROKEN LIKE IN THE XBOX VERSION!!!

Hallelujah!!! :D

Edited by Dcubed

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Majora's Mask will be February's game.

See this is tempting because I never played it as I couldn't afford an expansion pack. Still feel like being locked into a year-long membership isn't for me though. 

May get it later down the line when/if more games come.

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

YES!!! THE CUTSCENES AREN‘T BROKEN LIKE IN THE XBOX VERSION!!!

Hallelujah!!! :D

Uhhh, duh?

It's the N64 version, why would they be broken?

Anyway, Ocarina of Time's Dark Link room has been fixed!

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Uhhh, duh?

It's the N64 version, why would they be broken?

Anyway, Ocarina of Time's Dark Link room has been fixed!

Lots of N64 emulators mess them up, with animations not playing out correctly, desyncs etc as assets are loaded incorrectly.

Banjo Kazooie is a notoriously tough game to emulate well (BT even more so).  The frame buffer effects in particular (such as the title screen Jiggy transitions) are emulated incorrectly in basically every other emulator out there; so it’s very good that they’re emulated properly here! :D

Edited by Dcubed

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Lots of N64 emulators mess them up, with animations not playing out correctly, desyncs etc as assets are loaded incorrectly.

Banjo Kazooie is a notoriously tough game to emulate well (BT even more so).  The frame buffer effects in particular (such as the title screen Jiggy transitions) are emulated incorrectly in basically every other emulator out there; so it’s very good that they’re emulated properly here! :D

Oh right yeah, I remember you telling me about that now.

Welp, that's just smashing then!

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Remember kids, clean out the notes in the engine room first.

What is this about? are they missable or something?

29 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

No, thankfully, this isn't the XBox version.

The Engine Room is by far the most difficult platforming section in the game. You wouldn't want to gather all the notes in Rusty Bucket Bay and then die in the Engine Room. All that hard work would go to waste.

Do it first and the rest is relatively smooth sailing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

Unlike the Xbox version, you have to collect all from scratch if you die or leave the level (and it's a fairly clumsy part with moving platforms and bottomless pits).

It's only like that due to not having enough space to store the information on the N64, but they fixed it for the Xbox version.

Banjo-Kazooie really deserve to have the improved version on the Switch, and a way to buy it not tied to a subscription.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cube said:

It's only like that due to not having enough space to store the information on the N64, but they fixed it for the Xbox version.

Shame that it gave rise to a glitch that could render the game impossible to 100%. And the camera's crap. And the cutscenes are borked. And the cheats are useless.

• Thanks 1

I'd gladly take a glitch that you pretty much have to go out of your way to trigger (I've played it every year for around 8 years with no issues) in other to get the better camera, smoother controls, better graphics, the game remembering notes, widescreen and better framerate that the Xbox version offers. Looks even better with the auto HDR on Series S.

• Like 1