NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Control Style 1.2 Solitaire* here we goooo! :bouncy: 

* if memory serves. If not, muscle memory will get it done in the pause menu.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Control Style 1.2 Solitaire* here we goooo! :bouncy: 

* if memory serves. If not, muscle memory will get it done in the pause menu.

1.2 is essentially modern southpaw. I imagine people will struggle with the controls for this, unless Nintendo have added any (can you swap the sticks in the Switch settings?). 

That’s way earlier than I was expecting!!

Great to see that they’ve added 16:9 support to the NSO emulator (the game always supported anamorphic widescreen originally, but Nintendo have never supported said feature with any of their previous N64 emulators).

Cant wait! N-E All Proximity Mine Nights let’s go! :D

• Thanks 3

The controls not mapping well to a modern controller is the only thing that can prevent this from being the best release of the year :grin:

Good news, I figured it would be released after the February direct so it's a welcome surprise that we get to play it before the end of January. 

goldeneye007arrivesthisfridayonnintendoswitchonlinebanner.620x0.webp

GoldenEye 007 Arrives This Friday on Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack

Now up on the main page.

Thanks to @Josh64 for putting up lots of news articles recently. :smile:

It has been quiet, but we've been keeping the main page updated.

It's looking like things are about to get busier now though, with the release of Goldeneye 007!

OK... alright, now I'll buy into the NSO Expansion Pak.

(and yes... I bought an NSO N64 controller... now watch as they get restocked)

Interestingly, there may be other ways to play using a real N64 controller and a Raphnet adapter, though I haven't checked this yet.

Anyway, looking forward to playing some Goldeneye 007 online. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gave your post a heart, @S.C.G but make sure half of it gets to @Josh64 for his work in the front page engine room too. :bowdown:

15 hours ago, Cube said:

1.2 is essentially modern southpaw. I imagine people will struggle with the controls for this, unless Nintendo have added any (can you swap the sticks in the Switch settings?). 

Afaik, it's just the click stick that can be changed.

In Duke 64 terms, it's control stick look I can't wait to get back to. I still turn or point the reticule in the wrong direction in Splatoon 3 and you should have seen (and heard) me trying to get accustomed to Resi 5 a few months ago. :blush: Found Duke on the Switch to be unintuitive and generally feel wrong on the Pro controller, so expecting my thumbs to slip back into GoldenEye like I've never been away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn't this one of those N64 games with a hidden one player - two controller mode which plays more like modern FPS?

Yeah it is.  It's a shame this can't be activated with the two Joycons.

I suppose I'd jump in to a session if there was an empty spot...

Only in a "There's literally no-one else" scenario, mind. GoldenEye isn't that good.

Perfect Dark is better.

• Thanks 1

I'll finally break put the N64 controller I got from one of the guys on here. And I'll be up for some multiplayer.

For anyone having difficulty with the controls, like I was, there a handy guide on Reddit for remapping the buttons. I’d already swapped the left and right analog sticks on the switch settings to play it but it also goes into changes which buttons do what: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

For anyone having difficulty with the controls, like I was, there a handy guide on Reddit for remapping the buttons. I’d already swapped the left and right analog sticks on the switch settings to play it but it also goes into changes which buttons do what: 

Nice find for those that will want to try it. So the joysticks can be swapped then? That's handy. I thought the icon was just referring to the button function. 

I've played up to silo. Controls felt wonky on the dam :laughing: but I was getting used to it again by the time I was in the facility telling Dr Doak it was time to go. Getting the C buttons broke in. Embarrassingly, I almost died on runway as I totally forgot about picking up the key and had to leg it back under heavy fire. Only just got DK mode unlocked. Then bunker took me a while to remember how to complete the objectives. Things you didn't even have to think about back in the day. :blush:  

20 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Nice find for those that will want to try it. So the joysticks can be swapped then? That's handy. I thought the icon was just referring to the button function. 

Yeah, this was a surprise to me too as I’ve never actually used the feature before and just assumed it was for remapping buttons only. It’s great and I’m glad the feature is there as I don’t think I could have gotten used to playing this game on a pro controller otherwise.

I found a lot of the objectives and locations of things came back to me after about 20 minutes of playing although I did have to look up how to break the communication link in surface 2. 

Funny then that in their "Bond is back!" email, the soundtrack gets a mention. They were sadly mistaken if they thought nobody would pick up on the missing sound effect. 

1 hour ago, bob said:

I reckon someone knew it existed. 

Using an older build must be the loophole that got them through contractual chaos. :D 

On 26/01/2023 at 8:52 AM, V. Amoleo said:

Isn't this one of those N64 games with a hidden one player - two controller mode which plays more like modern FPS?

Thought you meant dual controller wielding is hidden behind a cheat code, but it's not—just scroll down on the control options page and it's right there. :p 

As it turns out, all that outrage over the sound in Goldeneye was premature; because the actual NSO release functions perfectly fine, with the proper "gong" sound as in the original release.

What? Internet jumping to conclusions? Never!

More importantly...

FINALLY!!!

Edited by Dcubed

BTW, for those wanting to play G-E with "modern" dual stick controls on Switch? It's absolutely possible!

By using two separate "pairs" of Joycons, using them as mismatched pairs and selecting the 2.4 "Goodhead" controller option; you get true dual analog controls for both movement and aiming!

• Thanks 1

Man, playing this game with the NSO N64 controller is such a treat! Game looks and runs incredibly well on Switch; seeing Goldeneye run at a consistent 30FPS instead of the, like, 5FPS of the original N64 cart is so weird, but so nice! :D

Controls are spot on as well.  With the N64 NSO controller it feels exactly how it should.

Well haps!

Can't wait for Perfect Dark on Switch! 60FPS with none of the terrible gameplay rebalancing and awful artistic changes that plagued the Xbox 360 version! AND it'll be portable to boot! :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

BTW, there's a decent chance that @Dcubed would be up for a few Goldeneye games after our Mario Party session at 9:15-ish.

So, y'know, you can save me from having fill up a slot by joining in.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

OK, I'll join if there's space, I just need a few minutes to set up the N64 controller (which arrived today) and to test out Goldeneye very briefly.