NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Helmsly you are slipping. Sam beat you to the punch. :D 

I'm looking forward to creating joycon drift whilst playing the original Mario Party game.

They are gonna end up selling so many Joycons from that game it's ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Helmsly you are slipping. Sam beat you to the punch. :D 

I'm looking forward to creating joycon drift whilst playing the original Mario Party game.

*Laughs in GameCube Controller*

Some more offers are on the way for expansion pack users in the UK and EU.

2x1_NSwitch_NSO_Expansionpack_2ndYearPro

N64 icons and double gold points on all purchases is pretty sweet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn’t seem to say if existing preorders are eligible as I already have Pokémon and Fire Emblem preordered (using the vouchers).

12 minutes ago, Ike said:

Doesn’t seem to say if existing preorders are eligible as I already have Pokémon and Fire Emblem preordered (using the vouchers).

Wouldn't you get the gold points the moment you buy the vouchers in that case?

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wouldn't you get the gold points the moment you buy the vouchers in that case?

Yes, but you get a bonus for buying a game voucher so I “lost out” for buying one earlier even though the games come out during the promotion period. Unless they retro apply the bonus for the game vouchers.

So the double points is only for eshop bought games? I was gonna hold off getting Bayo 3 for a week to get double points but it doesn't see that works.

Edited by BowserBasher

Neat I suppose.  Could’ve done with it earlier though, before I’d already bought my vouchers :p

9 hours ago, Josh64 said:

God I love N64-era renders, I am stupidly excited for those new icons lol. 

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I'm excited for them too. :p It's the little things in life that keep us going. :D 

• Haha 1

Helmsley posting updates first means that all is right in the world. :peace:

I fired it up and had a quick go before coming to work and was greeted with this message.

FgiVt_6aMAERRUt?format=jpg&name=small

Nintendo be covering their backs with this one. :D Did this message appear on any of the other Mario Party releases? I honestly can't remember.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo be covering their backs with this one. :D Did this message appear on any of the other Mario Party releases? I honestly can't remember.

Super Mario Party has a similar warning for Tug O War when they idiotically brought that game back.

You got 10 Mario Parties worth of minigames and you choose flipping Tug O War!?

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Super Mario Party has a similar warning for Tug O War when they idiotically brought that game back.

You got 10 Mario Parties worth of minigames and you choose flipping Tug O War!?

You mean Mario Party Superstars; not Super Mario Party.

And yes, that warning is freaking hilarious :laughing: Can't wait to get some 4 player games going! :hehe:

• Thanks 1

N64 icons are now available. Lots of Mario 64, Kirby and Majora's Mask pics are there to buy. There are also a bunch of N64 missions that dish out 100 platinum coins each.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Can't wait to get some 4 player games going!

I'll be joining in if we can.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Yeah baby, gimme them icons

Indeed. I've been saving my platinum coins and snapped them all up. Now to wait for the next batch. :D 

I sat and played a board on the original Mario Party yesterday evening. It was so much fun and a big nostalgia trip. I love the simplicity of the original game and because of that simplicity the game moves at a very brisk pace. I got through a 20 round board in no time.

When I was playing it I tried the save feature to avoid being screwed over. Interestingly, the dice roll isn't random and the game dictates what number you get at a certain point. I tried a few different save states and I always got the same number. I wonder when the game locks the dice number in? 

Over the past couple of days I have also dabbled with Wave Race and Pilotwings 64. Again, I've enjoyed my time with both of these and still have a fair bit to do in each of them. I managed to do the first couple of difficulties on Wave Race and have also cleared the first couple of sections in Pilotwings. I never really played either of these during my younger years and even though I own Pilotwings 64 as part of my N64 collection, I never did play it. It's certainly the better of the two games (sorry, @nekunando) due to the variety of things to do. It's funny, over in the Wii thread I posted a video about Wuhu Island and I then started playing this and Holiday Island feels very much like a precursor to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

When I was playing it I tried the save feature to avoid being screwed over. Interestingly, the dice roll isn't random and the game dictates what number you get at a certain point. I tried a few different save states and I always got the same number. I wonder when the game locks the dice number in? 

It happens at the start of the turn.  There’s a really cool Youtube series that talks about how the mechanics of the various Mario Parties work (that’s how I learnt about it).  Here’s the first episode…

Shockingly enough, there is actually no way to manipulate the game’s RNG in any way! Its actually remained watertight even after all these years!

Over the past couple of days I have also dabbled with Wave Race and Pilotwings 64. Again, I've enjoyed my time with both of these and still have a fair bit to do in each of them. I managed to do the first couple of difficulties on Wave Race and have also cleared the first couple of sections in Pilotwings. I never really played either of these during my younger years and even though I own Pilotwings 64 as part of my N64 collection, I never did play it. It's certainly the better of the two games (sorry, @nekunando) due to the variety of things to do. It's funny, over in the Wii thread I posted a video about Wuhu Island and I then started playing this and Holiday Island feels very much like a precursor to that.

Defo.  Only fitting that we came full circle with Pilotwings Resort in the end :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It happens at the start of the turn.  There’s a really cool Youtube series that talks about how the mechanics if the various Mario Parties work (that’s how I learnt about it).  Here’s the first episode…

Shockingly enough, there is actually no way to manipulate the game’s RNG in any way! Its actually remained watertight even after all these years!

Thanks for that. I will give it a watch later. Very interesting to hear it can't be manipulated.

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It happens at the start of the turn.  There’s a really cool Youtube series that talks about how the mechanics of the various Mario Parties work (that’s how I learnt about it).  Here’s the first episode…

You fool! What are you doing!? Don't go sharing that around!

We finally get to use all those pro strats upon unsuspecting online opponents, and you blab about them immediately!?

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

It's funny, over in the Wii thread I posted a video about Wuhu Island and I then started playing this and Holiday Island feels very much like a precursor to that.

I've played Pilotwings Resort to death and love it but had never played the 64 one and it is insane how much of a precursor it is to Wuhu.

All of the cute little buildings and the unique sound effects you hear in certain places. The whole game feels like a sneak preview of the cute and simplistic 'Wii' style of Fit, Sports etc. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. I've been saving my platinum coins and snapped them all up. Now to wait for the next batch. :D 

I sat and played a board on the original Mario Party yesterday evening. It was so much fun and a big nostalgia trip. I love the simplicity of the original game and because of that simplicity the game moves at a very brisk pace. I got through a 20 round board in no time.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to apologize as if my stance on everything is 'Wave Race or Die' on everything (I mean.. it is, but only Blue Storm 😅)

Wave Race 64 and Pilotwings 64 are both great games and I'm delighted they've made it to Switch this year! Much like you, I never experienced them when I was younger and only picked them up in the mid 2000s when I started university and set up an account on eBay! Even by that stage, I fell in love with both games 🙂

I've been picking up some random games for older consoles in recent weeks so my focus hasn't quite been on the Switch like it usually is but I'll definitely be back to the recently released N64 titles soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the Mario Party vets, can they be played with single joycons, or two together? I never played them on the 64 so I dunno how many buttons they used, apart from going hardcore on the analogue stick

1 minute ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

For the Mario Party vets, can they be played with single joycons, or two together? I never played them on the 64 so I dunno how many buttons they used, apart from going hardcore on the analogue stick

All N64 games on Switch require two Joycons.  No exceptions.

• Like 1